A Capital Punishment Trial in Modern Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com

Praefectus Praetorio

R.I.P. Brother of the Quill
The Sequel that had to be written! Ripped from the Headlines! A courtroom Drama! Barbara Barbaric Punishment! Not for the faint of heart!

A Sequel to "Crime and Punishment in Modern Singapore"

In a rapid escalation from her original offence of gum-chewing, Barbara Moore may face charges of manslaughter or even murder.

I couldn't resist starting. But, be warned, it is only 10% written. So it will be posted slowly.

Last edited:
Capital Punishment in Modern Singapore

Singapore Penal Code §299
Whoever causes death by doing an act with the intention of causing death, or with the intention of causing such bodily injury as is likely to cause death, or with the knowledge that he is likely by such act to cause death, commits the offence of culpable homicide.

Anteroom, Head Matron’s Office. Central Station Holding Facility, Sunday March 9, 4:31 PM

Matrons Wong, Long, and Sing stood in the doorways to the anteroom and stared in shock at Barbara standing over the apparently lifeless body of inmate Rose Lin.

Wong blurted out, “My God, Moore! What have you done?”

“I…I…Nothing! We were fighting. I pushed her, and she slipped! Well actually, I wasn’t fighting…she was…and she slipped!...I was over there!...I’m innocent! Oh God, No! Have I killed her?” Barbara burst out crying.

Matron Wong was first to regain her senses. She pressed the emergency call button on the wall. Almost instantly a voice came through the speaker. “To whom am I speaking and what is the emergency?”

“Head Matron Wong here. We have a serious injury and a possible crime,” she shot a sorrowful look at Barbara. “Send paramedics at once. Notify police dispatcher of a possible homicide. Dispatch two matrons to this location.

“Yes, Head Matron. I am doing so as I speak. Anything else?”

“Not at the moment. I will buzz you if something comes up.”

“I will be prepared for an immediate response.” As if the response could be any faster.

Wong shut off the alarm and turned to Dao. “Cuff inmate Moore and get her out of here and to the next interview room. Long, don’t just stand there, check Lin for a pulse.”

As Carrie sprang to obey, Wong went and locked the door to her office and stood by the outer door after Dao and Barb left. Carrie knelt, being carefully to avoid the blood and felt for Rose’s carotid artery. After a few moments, she looked up at the Head Matron and shook her head no.

“Shit.” exclaimed Wong.

It was only a couple of seconds later that the paramedics arrived. They soon confirmed Long’s information. Inmate Rose Lin was dead.

Wong dismissed them and again rang the alarm. “Yes Head Matron?” the voice came at once.

“We are dealing with a death. Please request a coroner’s team and a forensics squad.”

“At once.” The voice on the speaker showed emotion. “Sorry to hear that, Head Matron.”

“Not as sorry as me,” replied Wong.

At that moment, two other matrons arrived. Wong assigned one to relieve Sing with inmate Moore. Then all left the room and Wong locked it. She handed the key to the matron and instructed her to not allow anyone in until the police arrived. Wong , Long and Sing stood against the wall, a little down the hall.

Within another minute, three plain clothes and two uniformed police officers arrived.

Capital Punishment in Modern Singapore

Whoever causes death by doing an act with the intention of causing death, or with the intention of causing such bodily injury as is likely to cause death, or with the knowledge that he is likely by such act to cause death, commits the offence of culpable homicide.

Anteroom, Head Matron’s Office. Central Station Holding Facility, Sunday March 9, 4:31 PM

Matrons Wong, Long, and Sing stood in the doorways to the anteroom and stared in shock at Barbara standing over the apparently lifeless body of inmate Rose Lin.

Wong blurted out, “My God, Moore! What have you done?”

“I…I…Nothing! We were fighting. I pushed her, and she slipped! Well actually, I wasn’t fighting…she was…and she slipped!...I was over there!...I’m innocent! Oh God, No! Have I killed her?” Barbara burst out crying.

Matron Wong was first to regain her senses. She pressed the emergency call button on the wall. Almost instantly a voice came through the speaker. “To whom am I speaking and what is the emergency?”

“Head Matron Wong here. We have a serious injury and a possible crime,” she shot a sorrowful look at Barbara. “Send paramedics at once. Notify police dispatcher of a possible homicide. Dispatch two matrons to this location.

“Yes, Head Matron. I am doing so as I speak. Anything else?”

“Not at the moment. I will buzz you if something comes up.”

“I will be prepared for an immediate response.” As if the response could be any faster.

Wong shut off the alarm and turned to Dao. “Cuff inmate Moore and get her out of here and to the next interview room. Long, don’t just stand there, check Lin for a pulse.”

As Carrie sprang to obey, Wong went and locked the door to her office and stood by the outer door after Dao and Barb left. Carrie knelt, being carefully to avoid the blood and felt for Rose’s carotid artery. After a few moments, she looked up at the Head Matron and shook her head no.

“Shit.” exclaimed Wong.

It was only a couple of seconds later that the paramedics arrived. They soon confirmed Long’s information. Inmate Rose Lin was dead.

Wong dismissed them and again rang the alarm. “Yes Head Matron?” the voice came at once.

“We are dealing with a death. Please request a coroner’s team and a forensics squad.”

“At once.” The voice on the speaker showed emotion. “Sorry to hear that, Head Matron.”

“Not as sorry as me,” replied Wong.

At that moment, two other matrons arrived. Wong assigned one to relieve Sing with inmate Moore. Then all left the room and Wong locked it. She handed the key to the matron and instructed her to not allow anyone in until the police arrived. Wong , Long and Sing stood against the wall, a little down the hall.

Within another minute, three plain clothes and two uniformed police officers arrived.
Wow!! A sequel !!:applaudit: SO hyped..:hambre:

We shall be strictly following Singapore laws and codes.

Hey!!!! Read the code! There’s nothing there about accidents. I’m innocent. The code does not apply. She just slipped and fell. There was no culpable homicide here!

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Tomorrow, the detectives arrive on the scene to sort it all out. If Barb is innocent, she should have nothing to fear. (Yes, I know. Barb and Innocent together is a stretch. But we are all rooting for her aren't we?)

Hall outside Head Matron’s Office, Central Station Holding Facility, Sunday March 9, 4:42 PM

A short, rumpled, older, Anglo man with a gray mustache appeared to be in charge. He introduced himself to Wong.

“Head Matron? I am W. E. Frost, Detective Inspector of Homicide," he said in a English accent. These are Sergeants Wade and Goh.” He didn’t bother to introduce the uniforms.

Wong quickly and concisely told Frost what had happened. He then ordered one of his uniforms to replace the matron watching Barb. He firmly warned the man to discourage Barb from talking. He assigned the other to take the key from the matron and to guard the door to the office/anteroom. He suggested Wong dismiss the two additional matrons, which she did. He then asked the three remaining to go to the next interview room and wait and not to speak to each other, not one word!

As the matrons went into that room, the Crime scene investigators arrived. Frost explained the situation to the leader, and the two of them entered the anteroom. The two professionals quickly and carefully assessed the situation. The CSI began taking photos to document the untouched scene. Frost stepped out into the hall. He instructed the rest of the CSI team to begin their work. Leaving Sergeant Wade to coordinate with CSI, Frost and Goh went down the hall to meet with the matrons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom