A new St Eulalia story.

Go to CruxDreams.com
oh she had a high old time making impudent and provocative remarks,
winding up her torturers - that's why I love her!
How typical of Eulalia (both of them)
Impudent, provocative remarks from you Eul? Surely not!!!
The name Eulalia means "well spoken" - again how typical!
I would say that this taps into one of the pleasures of the progression of torture.

For a victim of Eulalia's temperament, its a once in a lifetime opportunity to show her bravery and defiance of the male power structure (yes, a cliche, but close to the point, I suspect, for many of the females of our forum).

For the torturer, that very defiance gives a target for his hatred of a virginal girl denying him sex, and his desire to dominate. The very exciting tension as the torture proceeds is how long will her will to resist continue until the inevitable triumph of incredible bodily pain forces her to plead for the mercy which they both know will never come. :very_hot:

An interesting old sketch, showing the martyrdom of St Eulalia, Diocletian and the entire tribunal have turned out to watch the sentence carried out.
Let's not drag Diocletian into this. He was responsible for the persecutions, but , no matter what anyone says, he was not present of her martyrdom.

I love the sketch. The girl is so dwarfed by the men, and the cross is so big and heavy (French Crucifixion Wood?) for such a little victim!:very_hot:

far from being provocative, Eulalia was a very devout Christian girl prepared to sacrifice herself trying to prevent the persecution of the local Christians.
Indeed, that's how Prudentius portrays Eulalia of Merida - but she's a spunky youngster, when the persecution breaks out, her parents send her to a safe house in the hills, but she escapes, makes her way back to the city, and harangues the Governor in the courtroom. The cheeky 'jokes' Prudentius puts in her mouth include thanking her torturers for writing the praise of God in purple on her skin after she'd been flogged (deep purple ink on pale purple vellum was supposed to be reserved for panegyrics to the Emperor), and thanking them for inscribing the cross of Christ on her breasts after they'd carved her with hooks.

An interesting old sketch, showing the martyrdom of St Eulalia, Diocletian and the entire View attachment 655610tribunal have turned out to watch the sentence carried out.
I haven't been able to find any further sketches of this event
That's a very interesting sketch, I've not seen that before - and needless to say, I seek out all I can find about my favourite VM.
Can you give me some links or references for the Spanish sources you've checked?
(What is regarded as, arguably, the earliest poem in the French language is la Sequence de Sainte Eulalie:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Séquence_de_sainte_Eulalie)

Apologies I seem to have Diocletian on the brain, the tribunal was held by Daciano a local governor and it would have been him and the tribunal who turned up to see her execution.
Yes, Dacian was the Praetor, the magistrate carrying out Diocletian's orders.

Indeed, that's how Prudentius portrays Eulalia of Merida - but she's a spunky youngster, when the persecution breaks out, her parents send her to a safe house in the hills, but she escapes, makes her way back to the city, and harangues the Governor in the courtroom. The cheeky 'jokes' Prudentius puts in her mouth include thanking her torturers for writing the praise of God in purple on her skin after she'd been flogged (deep purple ink on pale purple vellum was supposed to be reserved for panegyrics to the Emperor), and thanking them for inscribing the cross of Christ on her breasts after they'd carved her with hooks.

That's a very interesting sketch, I've not seen that before - and needless to say, I seek out all I can find about my favourite VM.
Can you give me some links or references for the Spanish sources you've checked?
(What is regarded as, arguably, the earliest poem in the French language is la Sequence de Sainte Eulalie:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Séquence_de_sainte_Eulalie)

Yes, Dacian was the Praetor, the magistrate carrying out Diocletian's orders.
I do love the intellectual rigour that Eul brings to almost any discussion, but particularly when her poor, tortured ‘namesake’ is going through it all again.

A brief description of the new Eulalia story we are presenting this year, it is also our future intention to create an unsanitised depictions, showing several lives of Christian female martyrs, according to their legends.

The Eulalia story has presented several quite difficult to solve problems and so the story goes as follows.

Eulalia has been orphaned at a young age and after walking the streets living off scraps she is taken in by devout Christian teacher Lydia who brings her up and schools her in the Christian way of life.

Unfortunately the local governor Daciano has banned the worship of the one Christian God and demands all Christians must worship the gods of Rome, Lydia is soon arrested and after refusing to renounce her faith is tortured and put to death by crucifixion, Eulalia who is now around nine years old waits by Lydia’s cross, Lydia tries to comfort the child even though she is dying in agony.

Roman soldiers seeing Eulalia at Lydia’s cross question her as to whether she is a Christian, at this point Eulalia denies knowing anything about Christians and runs away .

Eulalia is a pretty child and again luckily for her she is taken in by a wealthy family of Christian sympathisers who register her as their household slave, she is allowed to continue practising her Christian faith.

At about the age of 13 Eulalia has a vision of Jesus in a dream, in which she is called on to follow in the steps of Lydia and go out and spread the Christian message, she accepts her calling with happiness and great courage as her dream has foretold that she will be called on to suffer martyrdom, at her age not really realising the full meaning of this prophecy, she promises to remain pure that she may become his bride in heaven and never to deny Jesus again.

Moving on some eight years or so, Eulalia again finds herself in the midst of a terrible Christian persecution led by Daciano, in spite of the risks involved she continues to to teach her faith and gathers quite a following amongst the other girls of her age, convincing them to remain virgins promising themselves to Jesus.

When Eulalia hears that many of her followers have been arrested and sentenced to death she rushes to the execution site to pray and give comfort to the sufferers, at this point Eulalia is arrested and charged with being a Christian and this time she does not deny it.

She is bought before a tribunal headed by Daciano, where instead of pleading for her life she tells him to stop the Christian persecutions, she is warned to renounce her faith or be sentenced to death.

Unafraid and full of religious zeal, Eulalia continues to preach to Deciano who in a fit of rage sentences her to be handed over to the soldiers for their pleasure, and when they have satisfied their lust, they are ordered to execute her in the most terrible way they can devise as an example to her would be followers.

To be continued.

Attachments

• EulaliaStory4.jpg
    EulaliaStory4.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 176
So angry was Diocletian with the failure of his executioners to make her renounce her faith that he ordered her
body should be left exposed on the cross after she had died, until it rotted.
I hardly think that's adequate. While one may appreciate the stoic suffering of one of our CF favourite saints, surely we can't condone this type of failure on the part of these torturers.:mad::doh: They should also be punished. Something involving boiling oil would be appropriate, I fancy. :cool:

A brief description of the new Eulalia story we are presenting this year, it is also our future intention to create an unsanitised depictions, showing several lives of Christian female martyrs, according to their legends.

The Eulalia story has presented several quite difficult to solve problems and so the story goes as follows.

Eulalia has been orphaned at a young age and after walking the streets living off scraps she is taken in by devout Christian teacher Lydia who brings her up and schools her in the Christian way of life.

Unfortunately the local governor Daciano has banned the worship of the one Christian God and demands all Christians must worship the gods of Rome, Lydia is soon arrested and after refusing to renounce her faith is tortured and put to death by crucifixion, Eulalia who is now around nine years old waits by Lydia’s cross, Lydia tries to comfort the child even though she is dying in agony.

Roman soldiers seeing Eulalia at Lydia’s cross question her as to whether she is a Christian, at this point Eulalia denies knowing anything about Christians and runs away .

Eulalia is a pretty child and again luckily for her she is taken in by a wealthy family of Christian sympathisers who register her as their household slave, she is allowed to continue practising her Christian faith.

At about the age of 13 Eulalia has a vision of Jesus in a dream, in which she is called on to follow in the steps of Lydia and go out and spread the Christian message, she accepts her calling with happiness and great courage as her dream has foretold that she will be called on to suffer martyrdom, at her age not really realising the full meaning of this prophecy, she promises to remain pure that she may become his bride in heaven and never to deny Jesus again.

Moving on some eight years or so, Eulalia again finds herself in the midst of a terrible Christian persecution led by Daciano, in spite of the risks involved she continues to to teach her faith and gathers quite a following amongst the other girls of her age, convincing them to remain virgins promising themselves to Jesus.

When Eulalia hears that many of her followers have been arrested and sentenced to death she rushes to the execution site to pray and give comfort to the sufferers, at this point Eulalia is arrested and charged with being a Christian and this time she does not deny it.

She is bought before a tribunal headed by Daciano, where instead of pleading for her life she tells him to stop the Christian persecutions, she is warned to renounce her faith or be sentenced to death.

Unafraid and full of religious zeal, Eulalia continues to preach to Deciano who in a fit of rage sentences her to be handed over to the soldiers for their pleasure, and when they have satisfied their lust, they are ordered to execute her in the most terrible way they can devise as an example to her would be followers.

To be continued.
Another classic. Nice story Sir:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Back
Top Bottom