A new St Eulalia story.

Go to CruxDreams.com

stepnash

Magistrate
The picture posted represents a scene from about half way through the story.
Much as I'd like to depict the courageous and brave young Eulalia at the true age of her martyrdom, it seems that this would upset too many sensitive people.
And so the story has had to be modified, so that when she finally bears witness and dies for her faith she is 18 years old.

What has happened is, the orphan Eulalia has been looked after by a kind Christian woman, Lydia, who converts Eulalia to her faith, when Eulalia is 13 her friend Lydia is arrested and crucified for teaching Christianity, Eulalia witnesses the execution, when questioned by the soldiers she denies being a Christian and runs away terrified.
Eulalia is taken by rich family as a slave, during this time there is a major Christian persecution being carried out by the Emperor Diocletian, now at the age of 18 Eulalia has regained her faith and in her prayers she promises never to deny Jesus again.
Our taster picture shows her facing Diocletian's tribunal after being arrested, accused of teaching Christianity.
The story is still in development stage and will be quite long so I ask for your patience.

Attachments

• EulaliaPic03_1 (3).jpg
    EulaliaPic03_1 (3).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 818
Much as I'd like to depict the courageous and brave young Eulalia at the true age of her martyrdom, it seems that this would upset too many sensitive people.
And so the story has had to be modified, so that when she finally bears witness and dies for her faith she is 18 years old.

What has happened is, the orphan Eulalia has been looked after by a kind Christian woman, Lydia, who converts Eulalia to her faith, when Eulalia is 13 her friend Lydia is arrested and crucified for teaching Christianity, Eulalia witnesses the execution, when questioned by the soldiers she denies being a Christian and runs away terrified.
Eulalia is taken by rich family as a slave, during this time there is a major Christian persecution being carried out by the Emperor Diocletian, now at the age of 18 Eulalia has regained her faith and in her prayers she promises never to deny Jesus again.
Our taster picture shows her facing Diocletian's tribunal after being arrested, accused of teaching Christianity.
The story is still in development stage and will be quite long so I ask for your patience.
Great! Another classic story from a tallented writer.

Last edited:

Great start, thanks! Eul's dress has a kind of Christmas 'touch'....

Rest assured, if she fails to change her mind about her beliefs, her rich garments will soon be taken and divided amongst the soldiers and she will be placed in a simple white shift to contemplate the consequences of her sedition, which of course she will do with complete humility.

Rest assured, if she fails to change her mind about her beliefs, her rich garments will soon be taken and divided amongst the soldiers and she will be placed in a simple white shift to contemplate the consequences of her sedition, which of course she will do with complete humility.
Let's hope her 'white shift' is also soon taken away..... :)

You’ll have plenty of patience from me! I have to wonder if we are going to get an x-cross, or a slightly less canonical t-cross.

Waterhouse gave her a T cross

saint-eulalia-john-william-waterhouse.jpg

The images of Eulalia of Barcelona put her on an X cross,
which of course suits me as a Scot -
but in Prudentius' account of the original Eulalia of Mérida,
she's tied between two pillars and tortured with burning brands
until she shakes her long hair and it catches fire -
then they throw her out onto the freezing pavement of the Forum,
where a snowfall brings merciful relief and conceals her nakedness

Some of the accounts tell of her being bound to an X cross and tortured to make her worship the Roman gods and when she refused she was taken down and nailed to T cross on which she finally suffered martyrdom.
Best or worst of both worlds, but this is not giving anything of the story away.

Poor love. Either way she didn’t have an easy or pleasant time
oh she had a high old time making impudent and provocative remarks,
winding up her torturers - that's why I love her!

oh she had a high old time making impudent and provocative remarks,
winding up her torturers - that's why I love her!
Yes of course, but the torturers weren’t being chained up and branded or rolled around in a barrel full of nasty vicious things ...and all the rest. In the end for all she could say, she was the one going through the ordeal....equally a very good reason for loving her!

This story is a modified version of Eulalia of Barcelona the very well known artist responsible for all the renders is.
loum-rote
The descriptions, speech, thought texts and overall story are by myself, just to put the record, straight and credit, if any, where credit is due.

I have researched some of the early church Spanish translations and it would seem to me, that she was just 13 at the time of her martyrdom far from being provocative, Eulalia was a very devout Christian girl prepared to sacrifice herself trying to prevent the persecution of the local Christians.
Although she appears to have tried to follow the, saving herself to be a bride of Jesus cult, at least from a bodily point of view the evidence is almost irrefutable that she was unable to do this, one of the texts states that while in prison "the men came frequently to take their pleasure and she blessed them, although her body was sore"
(It's worth pointing out that at this time in history ,it was not unusual at all for a girl of this age to be married)
Without going on too much about her martyrdom, while she was nailed to a cross her sides were cut open and her breasts removed.
So angry was Diocletian with the failure of his executioners to make her renounce her faith that he ordered her
body should be left exposed on the cross after she had died, until it rotted.

Back
Top Bottom