A quick death???

Go to CruxDreams.com
J

Juan1234

I know most of us like the long, drawn-out methods of execution, like crucifixion. But does anybody else also get a weird thrill out of the emotional aspect of a quick death like beheading or a firing squad? The victim shows up for execution, and they know their life is about to end. There’s a very definite cut-off point, and they know it’s coming up on them VERY quickly. “Right now I’m alive and healthy; in 15 seconds, I’m going to be dead!”

That’s the one thing I miss about a crucifixion. I’m a huge fan of crucifixion, as should be obvious from my writing, but that dread of death being very close, and not being ready for it, and being powerless to avoid it - that’s powerful for me.

It also ties into my favorite part of any execution - the stripping. If the soldiers take a girl out to shoot her, and she’s got her back against the wall and they’re ready to go, and they tell her to strip naked first... I guess that’s big for me. :) Being right at the doorstep, standing in front of the wall already, looking at the loaded guns already, and having to strip to get ready - something about that is big.

If you don’t mind me rambling a little more... That’s the way I like the stripping to be for a crucifixion too - last minute, already standing in front of the whipping post, or the cross. She can see the instrument she’s about to die on, or be tortured on, and now we just have to wait a minute while she gets undressed. Then we’ll procede right away.

Just sharing some thoughts - hope you enjoy. :)

I know most of us like the long, drawn-out methods of execution, like crucifixion. But does anybody else also get a weird thrill out of the emotional aspect of a quick death like beheading or a firing squad? The victim shows up for execution, and they know their life is about to end. There’s a very definite cut-off point, and they know it’s coming up on them VERY quickly. “Right now I’m alive and healthy; in 15 seconds, I’m going to be dead!”

I can relate to the idea of that sudden cut-off point between life and death and what a profound thing that has to be for any thinking person. Even so, that has to be much easier to face, and face bravely, than a slow and painful death. When I think about crucifixion, there's also that cut-off point between the possibility of a reprieve, some last-minute escape, etc., and what follows. Because once you pass that point, there's no going back. The idea of what a person condemned to the cross would go through, how they could possibly prepare themselves to face something so horrific, humiliating and painful is a challenge to my imagination.

If you don’t mind me rambling a little more... That’s the way I like the stripping to be for a crucifixion too - last minute, already standing in front of the whipping post, or the cross. She can see the instrument she’s about to die on, or be tortured on, and now we just have to wait a minute while she gets undressed. Then we’ll procede right away.

I agree. Even if she's been stripped before for whipping, I want her to wear something to her crucifixion so they can strip it off of her at the last minute. I think it's a powerful signal that her crucifixion has begun, that the machine-like ritual of nailing and raising her on her cross has started.

That’s the one thing I miss about a crucifixion. I’m a huge fan of crucifixion, as should be obvious from my writing, but that dread of death being very close, and not being ready for it, and being powerless to avoid it - that’s powerful for me.

It also ties into my favorite part of any execution - the stripping. If the soldiers take a girl out to shoot her, and she’s got her back against the wall and they’re ready to go, and they tell her to strip naked first... I guess that’s big for me. :) Being right at the doorstep, standing in front of the wall already, looking at the loaded guns already, and having to strip to get ready - something about that is big.

I am not totally tied to crucifixion in my fantasies ... other means of execution certainly can get my attention too ... and beheading or a firing squad both work for me. What captures me the most is the emotions surrounding my impending demise ... fear, humiliation, powerlessness, injustice, and the horror of pain and suffering. And yes, it's always an added filip to be stripped of my last piece of modesty or dignity at the very last moment.

In every execution fantasy, either for a slow or (relatively) quick death, the preparation of the condemned is one of the 'thrill moments'. I mean such things as arriving at the execution spot, reading the verdict, stripping, being tied on the spot, last thoughts and words, fear, waiting for the execution.

Anyway, some quick executions do not attract my fantasy (such as beheading, quick hanging, lethal injection, breaking on the wheel, killed by animals or anything cutting is involved). Others only in specific story settings.

Anyway, Juan, it is an interesting discussion to bring up!

I don't know if erotic is the right word, but some people seem to feel drawn to throw themselves off of high places, particularly iconic ones like the Golden Gate Bridge, to the extent that the authorities have felt compelled to erect barriers to stop them. They generally tend to keep their clothes on, probably a good idea given the chilly winds that blow off the Pacific.

As for a death sentence, we are all under one, only the time of execution is TBD. The idea that we are here at one point in time and then will not be at another (whether 15 seconds or 15 years or longer) is strange if you think about it, which many much smarter than I have done, without coming up with a good answer.

The idea of what a person condemned to the cross would go through, how they could possibly prepare themselves to face something so horrific, humiliating and painful is a challenge to my imagination.

I guess nobody can prepare herself for such a thing. And nothing could get somebody ready to face something so terrible. Probably one has just to let herself go, and soon everything will get out of personal control, prepared or not prepared it will be the same...

I guess nobody can prepare herself for such a thing. And nothing could get somebody ready to face something so terrible. Probably one has just to let herself go, and soon everything will get out of personal control, prepared or not prepared it will be the same...

That's resignation ... what can one do anyway? :confused:

I think the certainty that we are all mortal, and its consequences, is different from the question raised by Juan. We have little control on the end of our life. Even more some people get ultimately so far, that death is a welcomed liberation of a hopeless situation, or that they became indifferent or unaware of their terminal condition.

Facing a death sentence to be executed is completely different. The condemned faces a final fate. It is a time for fear, regrets, anger, revolt, and feelings like that. All right, in the real world, some condemned to death reconcile with their verdict, after years in death row.

With a quick execution method, everything is over when the executioner strikes. A longer dying process, like crucifixion, gives the opportunity to explore these feelings more deeply, always with the final ending in mind.

Of course and expiry date is a little tentative--one can use the product afterward, it's just that it MIGHT go bad. Maybe it should be a probability, and it should change as you age.
Our expiry date is written in our genes. There is a limit on the number of cell divisions during our lifetime. Explained by cutting corners : a DNA molecule has repeating sequences, losing one every division. When they are expired, a DNA molecule will no longer be available for copying. A sort of limited entry tickets. And most of the tickets are used up in the embryonal phase of development.

Our expiry date is written in our genes. There is a limit on the number of cell divisions during our lifetime. Explained by cutting corners : a DNA molecule has repeating sequences, losing one every division. When they are expired, a DNA molecule will no longer be available for copying. A sort of limited entry tickets. And most of the tickets are used up in the embryonal phase of development.
You're talking about the telomere? Yeah, that's apparently right. At present there isn't a good way to read it, though, and the "date" probably varies with the type of cell. Good point. By the time we can read it, maybe we'll be able to extend it as well.

wow... such smart people around! I feel so ignorant... :eek:
Well, remember that if you don't know the terminology, someone who does but doesn't know what he's talking about can impress you. I am interested in this stuff, and read short overviews in Science and Nature, but I'm too lazy to really go into the details in research papers, and my interest waxes and wanes. Don't be too impressed.

Yes, fascinating for me, a non-scientist but interested in life sciences - at least I can make a bit of sense of genes etc.
I suppose environmental factors might over-ride such programming - like being nailed up on a cross? :devil:

You're talking about the telomere? Yeah, that's apparently right. At present there isn't a good way to read it, though, and the "date" probably varies with the type of cell. Good point. By the time we can read it, maybe we'll be able to extend it as well.
Yes, telomeres. Their length roughly correlates with life span, though correlation does not equal causation, nor do they shorten to the same extent in every cell type on the body as Frank notes. Of course very long telomeres don't prevent death by accident, homicide (The Case of the Missing Telomeres, the next mystery for Detectives Goldman and Moore to solve:p:D), suicide, crucifixion, infectious diseases or any of a number of other causes...

One thing that helps me understand scientific discourse to some extent
is recognising the words making up the technical terms -
Greek 'telos' is 'end', 'meros' I think is 'a portion',
so it's the 'end-bit' of the genetic programme (end of life that is,
not end of the string), but it can also have the sense of 'lot' in 'drawing lots',
so 'telomere' carries a hint of 'fate, luck (good or bad), destiny'. :eek:

One thing that helps me understand scientific discourse to some extent
is recognising the words making up the technical terms -
Greek 'telos' is 'end', 'meros' I think is 'a portion',
so it's the 'end-bit' of the genetic programme (end of life that is,
not end of the string), but it can also have the sense of 'lot' in 'drawing lots',
so 'telomere' carries a hint of 'fate, luck (good or bad), destiny'. :eek:

You know ancient Greek pretty well. I'm not doing so well with it. It's "highly inflected", and has lots of verb moods. I think Russian is related to it, and I didn't have a lot of success with Russian either. I had to take four years of Latin in school. I still have trouble reading it since I don't practice. It took me forever to translate the Monty Python motto "Futuaris nisi irresus ridebis". As far as I can tell, Futuaris is a passive subjunctive, which is used in a wish. So, I think it says "get fucked if you will not laugh at a joke". My dicitionary does say that futuare is "vulgar".

Back
Top Bottom