Alice, Daughter of Barabbas

Go to CruxDreams.com
Well, that changes a few things. Next you'll tell us that St. Mary isn't really a virgin. ;):D

This Pilate guy is a right bastard. And your latest manips are superb.
I particularly like the emotion in this one.

:beer:
Thanks, Jollyrei!

It did feel strange writing that. The story is not intended to be sacrilegious as such, though that one crucifixion has had such a massive impact upon human history, one wonders what would have happened if the priests had made a different choice.

Thanks, Jollyrei!

It did feel strange writing that. The story is not intended to be sacrilegious as such, though that one crucifixion has had such a massive impact upon human history, one wonders what would have happened if the priests had made a different choice.

The question of sacrilege is a sensitive one which we do need to acknowledge here, but I really don't believe that your story is in danger of it. It is following a well known story arc, but substituting a genuinely innocent and sympathetic female protagonist. I think she stirs our emotions, and confuses our emotions. We are on her side, we want her to pull through and yet part of us yearns for that moment when she is stripped, nailed, raised for our pleasure. We are funny that way!

The question of sacrilege is a sensitive one which we do need to acknowledge here, but I really don't believe that your story is in danger of it. It is following a well known story arc, but substituting a genuinely innocent and sympathetic female protagonist. I think she stirs our emotions, and confuses our emotions. We are on her side, we want her to pull through and yet part of us yearns for that moment when she is stripped, nailed, raised for our pleasure. We are funny that way!
Thanks Phlebas!

I'm glad I'm not the only one funny that way!

The Via Dolorosa section has had a rewrite, but only one new image:

They tied her arms to the cross-piece, and forced her out into the narrow, crowded street. Alice groaned beneath the weight.

Behind her, she was aware that two men would be keeping her company when she reached Golgotha. Briefly, she wondered what they had done, but she soon forgot them. She had troubles enough of her own.

AG018.jpg

It had been a struggle to get through this crowd only yesterday, with a basket of fruit as her only burden. Today, staggering beneath this beam towards an agonising death , in a state of near terror, Alice could barely make forward progress.

AG020.jpg

Alice had managed barely fifty yards of the journey to Golgotha when she saw her aunt. Her mother’s sister, Deborah, and she was standing right in front of her.

“Alice! What on earth are you doing? I hope you are carrying that for someone else?”

Alice came to a halt. “Aunt Deborah, you have to help me, they are going to crucify me!”

“Stand back, woman!” bawled the centurion. “Get out of the way!”

“Just a moment, officer – this girl is my niece!” Aunt Deborah was not a woman to be trifled with at the best of times. The centurion looked faintly shocked, but he remained in a temporary state of near eruption. Deborah didn’t have long.

Crucify you? Crucify you? Why are they going to crucify you, Alice?”

“A Roman attacked me… I killed him, it was an accident, please Aunt, you have to believe me! It wasn’t my fault!”

“She stuck a knife in his heart,” added the centurion, wondering why he was having this conversation, “some ‘accident.’”

“Aunt! Please!”

“You stupid, selfish girl! Look at you! Twenty-three years old and you haven’t worked out that the Romans take what they want, and do what they want. Your poor mother – the shock of this will kill her! I must go to her now! And I hope, while you are hanging from your cross, you will think about what you’ve done to her! Go ahead, officer – do what you have to do!”

“Well, thank you kindly, ma’am,” said the centurion, with exaggerated deference, as Alice recoiled from the shock of her aunt’s words. She was completely alone in the world. There was no sign of her father, her aunt didn’t even care that she was going to be nailed to a cross, and now, suddenly, this cross seemed to weigh three times as much.

“Tell mum I’m sorry…” she wept. She staggered forward. Deborah watched her for a moment, then the enormity of what she had done struck her. Of course Alice had fought back. She would have done the same. It could have been her carrying a cross to Golgotha. Were her harsh words to be the last that passed between them? She ran forward, and grabbed Alice’s tattered tunic.

AG021.jpg

“Alice! Forgive me! How could I have been so cruel? I’m so sorry!”

“I’m too young to die, Aunt!”

I know you are, my sweet girl… let me get you some wine to dull the pain! Officer? Can I get her some wine? It’ll only take five minutes! I only live a short distance away!”

“Oh, Aunt, thank you. Would you? I’m dreading the pain! Please, sir, let me have some wine?”

“We’re not waiting!” The centurion had had enough. “We’ve dallied long enough already! No wine! Come on! Get moving!”The centurion encouraged Alice forward with his club.

There was no way she could make any faster progress. People were all round her, shrieking at her, taunting her, one man asking the centurion if he could take her home tonight and return her for crucifixion tomorrow.

Another yelled, “You have to be nude to be crucified! Get those clothes off!”

“Leave me alone!” Alice didn’t need reminding that she would probably be stark naked before much longer.

The centurion threatened the worst offenders with his club, but by now Alice was finding each step more difficult than the last. Exhausted, she sank to her knees.

AG022.jpg

The centurion, unsympathetic, was sure she was playing for time. He needed to get these three crucified and pronto.

“Get up, you lazy cow!”

“I can’t!” groaned Alice. “It’s too heavy!”

AG023.jpg

It seemed to the centurion that it would be evening before he got any crucifixions done, at this rate.

“You! Come here!” He singled out a bystander.

AG024.jpg

“What? What have I done?”

“Nothing – I need you to carry that. A favour for a lady.”

“How do I know you won’t crucify me instead?”

“If you don’t do as I say I will find an excuse to crucify you!”

AG025.jpg

They removed the cross from Alice’s shoulders,

AG026.jpg

and placed it on those of the reluctant stranger.

The centurion dragged Alice off to one side, and waved the rest of the crucifixion party past.

“Why can’t I have some wine? I’ve heard them scream when they are crucified!”

“Forget it. If you think I’m letting you sit around sipping wine after this little charade, you have another think coming.”

“You bastard.”

“I’ve been called worse. Now! Get moving!” The centurion was shoving her forward once again.

“Alice!” Deborah’s voice, coming up the street behind. She’d been to get wine anyway. “Alice! Wait!”

Alice paused, but the centurion shoved her forward. “Stop that woman!” he ordered a legionary, “we’ve dithered enough already.”

The legionary swiftly intercepted Deborah, stopping her in her tracks.

“Let me through, you idiot! ALICE! Wait!”

The centurion turned. “On your way, woman. No comfort for this prisoner. She has already attempted to delay her own crucifixion!!”

“Have some compassion, man!”

“Compassion?” he sneered, “We’re about to crucify her! How do we crucify her compassionately?”

“You are a hateful man! I hope you rot in hell!”

AG027.jpg

Alice remained silent, her mind, even now refusing to accept the reality of what was happening. As her aunt’s voice faded behind her they passed through the city gate. Ahead, for the first time in three years, she saw the knoll beside the road known as Golgotha. Three years ago she had followed Nathan as they took him to be crucified. Ahead, once again, they were making preparations for crucifixion. And now it was hideously clear: this time it was her own crucifixion they were preparing for.

AG028.jpg

She and the centurion climbed the hill in silence. As she got to the top, she watched them assembling the crosses, and saw the huge spikes they were getting ready to use.

AG029.jpg

And then they took the two men, and stripped them naked right in front of her. Embarrassed, she turned away, as the men, howling piteously, were dragged down onto their crosses.

AG030.jpg AG031.jpg

“What’s the matter? Haven’t you seen a naked man before?”

“You crucified my fiancée three years ago,” she replied, flatly. And then, as he reached out towards her tunic, “Please don’t take my clothes!”

AG032.jpg AG033.jpg

The centurion didn’t answer. He grabbed the tunic, and with one swift movement pulled it down her body, leaving her topless. The crowd behind roared their approval.

AG034.jpg
Then he reached for her loincloth. Alice pleaded with him. “Can’t you at least leave that on?”

AG035.jpg

“No,” he said, “I can’t.” Another swift movement, and Alice Barabbas stood totally naked before her cross, and before the howling mob.

“Nail the bitch!”

“Let’s hear her scream!”

“Nice ass, can we see her tits?”

AG036.jpg

Alice wondered what she’d ever done to them. She took a tentative step towards her cross, but couldn’t go any further, so the centurion gave her a shove forwards.

AG037.jpg

Then, he roughly turned her around, and pushed her back to the waiting soldiers.

AG038.jpg

AG039.jpgAG040.jpg

Alice felt herself dragged back against the rough wood of the cross, and felt them stretching her arms out. Then the man on the cross to her right uttered a bloodcurdling, animal, scream as a nail was driven through his wrist.

AG041.jpg
She was stretched out naked on her cross with the soldiers all around her, and men screaming either side of her. She was utterly, utterly terrified.

AG042.jpg

Her arm was held in a vice like grip, she could not resist as a nail was touched against her right wrist. She watched, in absolute horror, as the mallet was raised, and as it was brought down onto the nail.

And this time she woke from no nightmare.

AG043.jpg

“AIEEEEEEAAARGH!” She couldn’t contain the agony as the nail exploded through her wrist, shattering the small bones as it passed through into the wood. Her shrieks of torment mixed with terror temporarily silenced the crowd.

AG044.jpg

She bucked and twisted, but the Romans were more than ready for her, and held her firm, as the hammer rose and fell mercilessly.

AG045.jpg

“Keep still, you stupid girl, you’re only making it worse!”

AG046.jpg

“Let me go, please! PLEASE! STOP!”

Suddenly the hammering stopped, and Alice wondered if they had actually taken notice of her. The soldier had let go of her right arm, and stupidly she tried to pull it away. All she got in response was another jolt along her tortured nerves, but her arm would not move.

AG047.jpg

But the violence just continued as the Romans, with relentless, uncaring efficiency, smashed a nail through her left wrist with the same indifference to her pleas for mercy.

AG048.jpg

“Oh, God, save me! Please, God, help me!”

View attachment 619785View attachment 619786

Alice felt herself dragged back against the rough wood of the cross, and felt them stretching her arms out. Then the man on the cross to her right uttered a bloodcurdling, animal, scream as a nail was driven through his wrist.

View attachment 619787
She was stretched out naked on her cross with the soldiers all around her, and men screaming either side of her. She was utterly, utterly terrified.

View attachment 619788

Her arm was held in a vice like grip, she could not resist as a nail was touched against her right wrist. She watched, in absolute horror, as the mallet was raised, and as it was brought down onto the nail.

And this time she woke from no nightmare.

View attachment 619789

“AIEEEEEEAAARGH!” She couldn’t contain the agony as the nail exploded through her wrist, shattering the small bones as it passed through into the wood. Her shrieks of torment mixed with terror temporarily silenced the crowd.

View attachment 619790

She bucked and twisted, but the Romans were more than ready for her, and held her firm, as the hammer rose and fell mercilessly.

View attachment 619791

“Keep still, you stupid girl, you’re only making it worse!”

View attachment 619792

“Let me go, please! PLEASE! STOP!”

Suddenly the hammering stopped, and Alice wondered if they had actually taken notice of her. The soldier had let go of her right arm, and stupidly she tried to pull it away. All she got in response was another jolt along her tortured nerves, but her arm would not move.

View attachment 619793

But the violence just continued as the Romans, with relentless, uncaring efficiency, smashed a nail through her left wrist with the same indifference to her pleas for mercy.

View attachment 619794

“Oh, God, save me! Please, God, help me!”
Well it is good to see this worthless wench nailed to a cross. One can only hope she suffers greatly once her cross is raised!

By now Alice was in so much pain that she scarcely knew what was happening. She had certainly given up trying to watch what the Romans were doing. She felt, rather than saw them bend her leg, and, despite the world of agony that she was already in, she sensed the touch of a nail on her heel.
AG049.jpg AG050.jpg

She gritted her teeth, trying desperately to prepare for the escalation in her torment, but the nailing of her heels was, if anything worse than the nailing of her wrists. Every blow of the hammer was worse than any pain she had experienced before today.

AG051.jpg
Eventually, after what seemed an eternity of hammering, cursing soldiers, and wave after crashing wave of ever more intense pain, it stopped. All four of Alice’s limbs were now securely spiked to the timber of the cross, and she would never again know the freedom to move.

Alice lay very very still. Any movement sent a thousand furies dancing along her nerves. If she could only just lay still… but then the cross started to move.

AG052.jpg

“Oh – NOOOOOOO!!!!!”

The cross began to tilt upwards, carrying her higher and higher above Golgotha, up into the clear view of the cheering crowd, and now her weight was transferring onto the raw nail wounds so recently inflicted. She felt cruelly exposed too, the crowd looking straight up between her nailed legs were seeing what only her husband should have seen. She tried to close her knees, but it hurt so much. Everything hurt so much.

AG053.jpg

Then there seemed nothing in front of her but a steep slope down to the mob. She was certain that the whole thing was going to topple forward down the hill. She screamed in utter terror.

And then she was falling. Straight down. The cross slammed into the bottom of its socket. Alice’s body continued downwards until the wrist nails arrested her descent, tearing at the fractured bones, straining her elbow and shoulder joints, and slamming her back hard against the wood of the cross, driving the breath out of her lungs. The cross rocked gently back and forth for a moment until a legionary drove a wedge in between the cross and the socket.

AG054.jpg

It was done. Alice Barabbas was crucified.

AG055.jpg

And it had been worse than her worst nightmare. And still was.

By now Alice was in so much pain that she scarcely knew what was happening. She had certainly given up trying to watch what the Romans were doing. She felt, rather than saw them bend her leg, and, despite the world of agony that she was already in, she sensed the touch of a nail on her heel.
View attachment 619796View attachment 619797

She gritted her teeth, trying desperately to prepare for the escalation in her torment, but the nailing of her heels was, if anything worse than the nailing of her wrists. Every blow of the hammer was worse than any pain she had experienced before today.

View attachment 619798
Eventually, after what seemed an eternity of hammering, cursing soldiers, and wave after crashing wave of ever more intense pain, it stopped. All four of Alice’s limbs were now securely spiked to the timber of the cross, and she would never again know the freedom to move.

Alice lay very very still. Any movement sent a thousand furies dancing along her nerves. If she could only just lay still… but then the cross started to move.

View attachment 619799

“Oh – NOOOOOOO!!!!!”

The cross began to tilt upwards, carrying her higher and higher above Golgotha, up into the clear view of the cheering crowd, and now her weight was transferring onto the raw nail wounds so recently inflicted. She felt cruelly exposed too, the crowd looking straight up between her nailed legs were seeing what only her husband should have seen. She tried to close her knees, but it hurt so much. Everything hurt so much.

View attachment 619800

Then there seemed nothing in front of her but a steep slope down to the mob. She was certain that the whole thing was going to topple forward down the hill. She screamed in utter terror.

And then she was falling. Straight down. The cross slammed into the bottom of its socket. Alice’s body continued downwards until the wrist nails arrested her descent, tearing at the fractured bones, straining her elbow and shoulder joints, and slamming her back hard against the wood of the cross, driving the breath out of her lungs. The cross rocked gently back and forth for a moment until a legionary drove a wedge in between the cross and the socket.

View attachment 619801

It was done. Alice Barabbas was crucified.

View attachment 619802

And it had been worse than her worst nightmare. And still was.
A rude crucifixion, indeed. Alice is hanged on her cross between two common crooks but no one cares about their dicks hanging between their legs while Alice's breasts shake as she trembles on her cross.

She deserved what she suffers...

And I hope, while you are hanging from your cross, you will think about what you’ve done to her! Go ahead, officer – do what you have to do!”
Family, huh. Better off without them. Er. Never mind. Poor Alice. :(

One of your best so far, Wragg. Every time you crucify Alice it sends my heart racing. Fantastic stuff.

Family, huh. Better off without them. Er. Never mind. Poor Alice. :(

One of your best so far, Wragg. Every time you crucify Alice it sends my heart racing. Fantastic stuff.
The original story was emotionally powerful.
The remake just blows you away...
Thanks, gents.

How many times have I said 'poor Alice' to myself?

You might be able to tell that Alice has got inside my head. Paint Shop Pro is nothing more than a vehicle for trying to get her out again. ;)

And, @Ramengmawiaaa got me into installing Alice into the movie, but the movie provides an element of consistency for the other characters,[/QUOTE]

Alice tried desperately to make some sense of her new situation.

Pain.

And not just from her nail wounds, either. Her shoulders hurt like fury, having been almost dislocated as the cross had dropped just now.

AG056.jpg

Alice decided that her legs and heels hurt very slightly less than her wrists and shoulders, so she set about trying to transfer her weight onto her nailed feet. That helped her shoulders and wrists, slightly, but her legs and heels, with all her weight forward of the nailing points, could not take her weight for long. She tried to find a point where her weight was equally balanced on all four nails, but try as she might, there was no position which even slightly reduced the amount of pain she was in.

Humiliation.

AG057.jpg

Naked, suffering unbelievably, utterly unable to hide any part of her body from a mass of people who had assembled simply to look at her. Alice had been brought up as a modest girl, she had never sought to display herself or to encourage attention, and now, suddenly, she was the object of leering, disgusting men. Alice truly loathed the nudity of her crucifixion.

Noise.

The crowd were still yelling their appreciation of the show she was putting on for them. The Romans, below her cross, were beginning to tidy up a bit after the crucifixions, and were working out who was to stay on guard duty and who would be going back to barracks. They kept looking up at Alice, and none of them seemed to want to go back.

AG058.jpg

Then Alice became aware of groaning from her left, and remembered that there were two men on crosses either side of her. Alice desperately needed a friend, and they at least understood the pain of crucifixion.

“Hi!” she croaked, at the man to her left, but he was in too much misery to hear her.

“Hi!” She tried again, a little louder.

His head swivelled painfully, and their eyes met. “Hello…” he tried a smile, but it was rapidly replaced by a grimace of agony.

His eyes travelled up and down her nude body, and once again she felt shamefully exposed.

AG059.jpg

“I’m… Ramen,” he gasped.

“Alice,” she replied.

“Why……?” he managed. Long speeches were not possible.

“I….killed a….Roman. He… wanted to … rape me. You?”

“I…killed…a… chicken!” He almost managed a smile again. “You… win!”

“I’m Andrew,” came a voice from the other cross. Andrew had troubles of his own, but he had listened to their exchange. “We….killed….a chicken….together. It was… somebody else’s…chicken. At least….you….did something….worthy of….being… crucified!”

Alice spent a moment trying to adjust her position, crying out in the pain of doing so.

“Nothing…is worth….this, Andrew. Not even……murder! I wish… I’d let him…have me.” She thought for a moment. “I don’t suppose…either of you…. has found… a way… to ease…. the pain?”

Andrew screamed at a jolt of pain in answer to her question. “If I do, you’ll….be the first….. to know!”

For a few minutes more they suffered without speaking. Then Alice abruptly said, “Thank you.”

“Why?” Ramen didn’t understand.

“For being here….with me!”

“We…weren’t….given much…choice! But I can think of….worse….people to be… crucified with, than… you!”

AG060.jpg

Pain.

And not just from her nail wounds, either. Her shoulders hurt like fury, having been almost dislocated as the cross had dropped just now.

View attachment 620011

Alice decided that her legs and heels hurt very slightly less than her wrists and shoulders, so she set about trying to transfer her weight onto her nailed feet. That helped her shoulders and wrists, slightly, but her legs and heels, with all her weight forward of the nailing points, could not take her weight for long. She tried to find a point where her weight was equally balanced on all four nails, but try as she might, there was no position which even slightly reduced the amount of pain she was in.

Humiliation.

View attachment 620012

Naked, suffering unbelievably, utterly unable to hide any part of her body from a mass of people who had assembled simply to look at her. Alice had been brought up as a modest girl, she had never sought to display herself or to encourage attention, and now, suddenly, she was the object of leering, disgusting men. Alice truly loathed the nudity of her crucifixion.

Noise.

The crowd were still yelling their appreciation of the show she was putting on for them. The Romans, below her cross, were beginning to tidy up a bit after the crucifixions, and were working out who was to stay on guard duty and who would be going back to barracks. They kept looking up at Alice, and none of them seemed to want to go back.

View attachment 620013

Then Alice became aware of groaning from her left, and remembered that there were two men on crosses either side of her. Alice desperately needed a friend, and they at least understood the pain of crucifixion.

“Hi!” she croaked, at the man to her left, but he was in too much misery to hear her.

His head swivelled painfully, and their eyes met. “Hello…” he tried a smile, but it was rapidly replaced by a grimace of agony.

His eyes travelled up and down her nude body, and once again she felt shamefully exposed.

View attachment 620014

“I’m… Ramen,” he gasped.

“Alice,” she replied.

“I’m Andrew,” came a voice from the other cross. Andrew had troubles of his own, but he had listened to their exchange. “We….killed….a chicken….together. It was… somebody else’s…chicken. At least….you….did something….worthy of….being… crucified!”

Alice spent a moment trying to adjust her position, crying out in the pain of doing so.

“Nothing…is worth….this, Andrew. Not even……murder! I wish… I’d let him…have me.” She thought for a moment. “I don’t suppose…either of you…. has found… a way… to ease…. the pain?”

Andrew screamed at a jolt of pain in answer to her question. “If I do, you’ll….be the first….. to know!”

For a few minutes more they suffered without speaking. Then Alice abruptly said, “Thank you.”

“We…weren’t….given much…choice! But I can think of….worse….people to be… crucified with, than… you!”

View attachment 620015

Omg! That last sentence was genius! Pretty sure if we had a choice we'd choose Alice too. ^^

Pain.

View attachment 620011

Humiliation.

View attachment 620012

Noise.

View attachment 620013

View attachment 620014

“I’m… Ramen,” he gasped.

“Alice,” she replied.

View attachment 620015
Wonderful! Both are great stories, original and remake:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Guards should've raped her in prison. Would've been ironic considering she's dying because she denied a soldier of rape. xD

Ah, well, you see, it's like this. I have a very peculiar sense of morality. Crucifixion does something to me, but rape dives me the heeby jeebies. :confused:

But I knew that Alice had a zero percent chance of avoiding rape, so I kind of hinted that she was raped while awaiting trial before Pilate:

Please, sir, have mercy on me. Your men have already made me suffer!”

He believed her. They would have already done what Septimus intended, and worse.

Some new manips in amongst this next lot, including one where I borrowed heavily from Bobinder:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom