Alice, Daughter of Barabbas

Go to CruxDreams.com
Alice panted for breath beneath the scorching sun (GIF)

Brilliant work, Wragg! :)

As noted in the 'Crux Legend' thread, I believe this constitutes the first moving image of Alice we have seen in eleven years!

Congratulations on a very impressive first. :D

I have always found the gasping for breath (chest heaving, ribs showing) to be the sexist part of the crux struggle. Makar's Julia (from Glamour Crucifixion video) is my favorite. (I hope the GIF works! It's my first try. Moderator, tell me if I'm doing it wrong.)
View attachment 648597
You did great! :clapping::clapping:

Attachments

• 5185884C-3050-4D36-B6EF-C84716EF5DF8.gif
    5185884C-3050-4D36-B6EF-C84716EF5DF8.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 548
  • 6D4F00FB-B7E9-4627-B1BD-9F286F028A09.gif
    6D4F00FB-B7E9-4627-B1BD-9F286F028A09.gif
    1 MB · Views: 547
I have always found the gasping for breath (chest heaving, ribs showing) to be the sexist part of the crux struggle. Makar's Julia (from Glamour Crucifixion video) is my favorite. (I hope the GIF works! It's my first try. Moderator, tell me if I'm doing it wrong.)
View attachment 648597

Wonderful clip, those ribs, that expression. This is where a crux clip has the advantage over a still picture, the movement that reminds us that this is a living breathing woman, her body stressed and struggling with the cross.

Gentle Reader, I have to tell you that sometimes I look back on this thread and cringe.

Firstly, as numerous correspondents have told me, "Alice Barabbas" translates as 'Alice, son of Abbas'. Students of Alice (and there are many) will be aware that she is nobody's son. So please note the change of title!

Secondly, most (not all, maybe) but most of the manips are pretty terrible. Yes,the backgrounds from the 'Jesus' film are limiting, but let's face it, some of them could have been better.

But this tale of a young Jewish woman who was cruelly punished for an act of self-defence, unwittingly stopping a religion in its tracks at the same time, still resonates with me.

So I've had a bit of a tickle around and hopefully improved it just a little tiny bit. ;)

Last edited:
“Give my love to your parents, and I do hope you find your dear mother in better health when you get home.”

DoB 001.jpg

“Thank you ma’am.” Alice counted herself lucky to have an employer as considerate as Ruth. Ruth was the wife of a wealthy merchant, and Alice came in daily to help her with chores, mainly because Ruth’s joints were all painful and inflamed, but also because she knew that Ruth enjoyed her company. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Take care, Alice!”

Alice began the walk home. It was more difficult than usual, Jerusalem was crowded for the Passover feast, and the Romans had brought in extra troops to keep order. She was carrying a basket of fruit and vegetables which she’d bought earlier with her meagre wages. She hugged it to herself – it could easily get stolen in this crowd.

DoB 002.jpg

She realised that people were trying to get close to one of those itinerant preachers that tended to appear at this time of year from the countryside. This one was supposed to be able to heal people. She wondered if he could help her mother.

Alice dismissed the thought. She would never get near him, and she couldn’t afford him anyway. Nobody could help her mother. Her father Joseph Barabbas had spent the last of his savings on doctors, and now he was destitute and Elizabeth his wife was no better.

Nobody could heal the pain in Alice’s heart either. It had been at Passover three years ago that Nathan, the man she loved and had expected to marry, had got mixed up in some trouble and had died in agony on a Roman cross on the hill of Golgotha, just outside the city. Alice had stayed with him, sitting beneath his cross all day and all night and most of the next day until he had surrendered to the nails. From that day to this she had never gone near Golgotha. Too many terrible memories.

DoB 003.jpg

Eventually she fought her way to the house which she still shared with her parents, and probably always would now. Although she was only 23, most women were married well before they were twenty. Alice’s hope for marriage had died with Nathan on Golgotha.

“Mum! Dad! It’s me! I've got some nice vegetables and fruit!”

DoB 004.jpg

“Shh!” said Joseph Barabbas, “Your mother’s sleeping!”

He ushered her into the back yard, then her father embraced her. “Oh, Alice, you’re a good girl. If it wasn’t for you, we’d starve. I daren’t leave her!”

“How is she?”

“Sleeping now, but she’s had a better day. We were laughing earlier.”

“Laughing? What about?”

“That Jesus of Nazareth. He only went and kicked over all the merchant’s tables outside the temple! Filthy money grabbers, robbing innocent folk of their money so they can present offerings!”

DoB 005.jpg

Alice turned away. “But, Dad! That’s where Ruth’s husband works! That’s what pays my wages!”

“Oh.” The smile disappeared from Joseph’s face. “I hadn’t thought of that!”

“Give my love to your parents, and I do hope you find your dear mother in better health when you get home.”

View attachment 1380151

“Thank you ma’am.” Alice counted herself lucky to have an employer as considerate as Ruth. Ruth was the wife of a wealthy merchant, and Alice came in daily to help her with chores, mainly because Ruth’s joints were all painful and inflamed, but also because she knew that Ruth enjoyed her company. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Take care, Alice!”

Alice began the walk home. It was more difficult than usual, Jerusalem was crowded for the Passover feast, and the Romans had brought in extra troops to keep order. She was carrying a basket of fruit and vegetables which she’d bought earlier with her meagre wages. She hugged it to herself – it could easily get stolen in this crowd.

View attachment 1380152

She realised that people were trying to get close to one of those itinerant preachers that tended to appear at this time of year from the countryside. This one was supposed to be able to heal people. She wondered if he could help her mother.

Alice dismissed the thought. She would never get near him, and she couldn’t afford him anyway. Nobody could help her mother. Her father Joseph Barabbas had spent the last of his savings on doctors, and now he was destitute and Elizabeth his wife was no better.

Nobody could heal the pain in Alice’s heart either. It had been at Passover three years ago that Nathan, the man she loved and had expected to marry, had got mixed up in some trouble and had died in agony on a Roman cross on the hill of Golgotha, just outside the city. Alice had stayed with him, sitting beneath his cross all day and all night and most of the next day until he had surrendered to the nails. From that day to this she had never gone near Golgotha. Too many terrible memories.

View attachment 1380153

Eventually she fought her way to the house which she still shared with her parents, and probably always would now. Although she was only 23, most women were married well before they were twenty. Alice’s hope for marriage had died with Nathan on Golgotha.

“Mum! Dad! It’s me! I've got some nice vegetables and fruit!”

View attachment 1380155

“Shh!” said Joseph Barabbas, “Your mother’s sleeping!”

He ushered her into the back yard, then her father embraced her. “Oh, Alice, you’re a good girl. If it wasn’t for you, we’d starve. I daren’t leave her!”

“How is she?”

“Sleeping now, but she’s had a better day. We were laughing earlier.”

“Laughing? What about?”

“That Jesus of Nazareth. He only went and kicked over all the merchant’s tables outside the temple! Filthy money grabbers, robbing innocent folk of their money so they can present offerings!”

View attachment 1380163

Alice turned away. “But, Dad! That’s where Ruth’s husband works! That’s what pays my wages!”

“Oh.” The smile disappeared from Joseph’s face. “I hadn’t thought of that!”
I love that story, and the pic's are hot!

Gentle Reader, I have to tell you that sometimes I look back on this thread and cringe.

Firstly, as numerous correspondents have told me, "Alice Barabbas" translates as 'Alice, son of Barabbas'. Students of Alice (and there are many) will be aware that she is nobody's son. So please note the change of title!

Secondly, most (not all, maybe) but most of the manips are pretty terrible. Yes,the backgrounds from the 'Jesus' film are limiting, but let's face it, some of them could have been better.

But this tale of a young Jewish woman who was cruelly punished for an act of self-defence, unwittingly stopping a religion in its tracks at the same time, still resonates with me.

So I've had a bit of a tickle around and hopefully improved it just a little tiny bit. ;)
No need to be so rough on yourself, there's some stuff one just doesn't notice or knows how to fix back then. I learned from you that you can piece together a pose with an angle that isn't there with multiple pictures of different articulations and some sneaky ways to hide it, this one comes to my mind.
For instance, this one:

View attachment 587020
Best of luck on this revisiting of your work, and don't feel bad, those "terrible" manips may have inspired some people wink wink

Isn't it always he way? We like to scoff at these merchants, but there are real people there with real problems, and Jesus' lofty principles and righteousness ain't gonna put the lamb and lentils on the table, is it? Blessed are the unemployed. :D

Back
Top Bottom