Alice, Daughter of Barabbas

Go to CruxDreams.com
"Good choice," grunted Pilate. "Get yourself back to Nazareth and keep your head down! Let him go!"

Some soldiers hustled the Nazarene out, and Pilate glared at the centurion.

Alice Golgotha 007.jpg

"Well? What are you waiting for? Take this woman and crucify her!"

"NOOOO!" Alice heard her father's wail from behind her. Joseph Barabbas had done his utmost to save his daughter, even trying to convince the Romans that he'd killed the Roman. But the blood on her robe told its own tale. Now he, too, experienced the crushing disappointment of having had her reprieve dashed into the gutter.

Alice Golgotha 008.jpg

They tied her arms to the cross-piece, and forced her out into the narrow, crowded street. Alice groaned beneath the weight. Behind her, she was aware that two men would be keeping her company when she reached Golgotha. Briefly, she wondered what they had done, but she soon forgot them. She had troubles enough of her own.

Alice Golgotha 009.jpg

It would have been a struggle to get through this crowd walking alone on a good day. Staggering beneath this beam towards an agonising death , in a state of near terror, Alice could barely make forward progress.

Alice Golgotha 010.jpg

And the noise! People shrieking, cackling with laughter, taunting her. One mad woman started pulling at her robe.

"No! Get off me! Leave me alone!"

The centurion was hitting her with his club, trying to make her go faster, but it was no good.

Alice Golgotha 011.jpg

She sank to her knees beneath the huge beam.

Alice Golgotha 012.jpg

"Oh, fuck this for a game!" The centurion's patience had vapourised. "We'll be here till nightfall!"

Alice Golgotha 013.jpg

"Oi! You!" He singled out a reasonably fit looking man in the crowd. "Got a job for you!"

"What?"

"Carry something for a lady."

Alice Golgotha 014.jpg

They cut through the ropes, and lifted the weight from Alice's shoulders.

Alice Golgotha 015.jpg

The stranger took the burden, and they resumed the trek towards the crucifixion ground at Golgotha.

I should say at this point that the little 'Wragg' motif on the manips, and on my sigstrip below, was made for me many years ago by Phlebas. I've been very fond of it, and shall continue to use it.

Cheers, Phlebas! :beer:

Happy to oblige, and pleased that it brings you happiness :) Is that London Pride we're clinking in the graphic?

Nice little story and very effective pictures. You know, it's fashionable in some church circles to take stories from scripture and change the gender, to make them more personal for female listeners. I'm sure this one is almost right for that exercise, except for the little switcheroo of Barabbas for Christ. Unfortunately the name Barabbas means "son of the father", which is pretty odd in itself and unfortunately inappropriate in this context. Maybe someone with more Hebrew than I have could suggest an alternative?
I've often wondered, how many of the ladies watching the average Passion Play see themselves in the roll of the crucified rather than the bereaved?

Last edited:
Is that London Pride we're clinking in the graphic?

You betcha!

You know, it's fashionable in some church circles to take stories from scripture and change the gender, to make them more personal for female listeners. I'm sure this one is almost right for that exercise, except for the little switcheroo of Barabbas for Christ. Unfortunately the name Barabbas means "son of the father", which is pretty odd in itself and unfortunately inappropriate in this context. Maybe someone with more Hebrew than I have could suggest an alternative?
I've often wondered, how many of the ladies watching the average Passion Play see themselves in the roll of the crucified rather than the bereaved?
Bob and I have been discussing this in a PM, hence the reference to 'Joseph Barabbas', and I'll leave it for him to reply more fully. Clearly for the premise of the story I needed to replace Barabbas with a woman.

I think the Anglicised version would be 'Alice Patterson' ;)

"Good choice," grunted Pilate. "Get yourself back to Nazareth and keep your head down! Let him go!"

Some soldiers hustled the Nazarene out, and Pilate glared at the centurion.

View attachment 579271

"Well? What are you waiting for? Take this woman and crucify her!"

"NOOOO!" Alice heard her father's wail from behind her. Joseph Barabbas had done his utmost to save his daughter, even trying to convince the Romans that he'd killed the Roman. But the blood on her robe told its own tale. Now he, too, experienced the crushing disappointment of having had her reprieve dashed into the gutter.

View attachment 579272

They tied her arms to the cross-piece, and forced her out into the narrow, crowded street. Alice groaned beneath the weight. Behind her, she was aware that two men would be keeping her company when she reached Golgotha. Briefly, she wondered what they had done, but she soon forgot them. She had troubles enough of her own.

View attachment 579273

It would have been a struggle to get through this crowd walking alone on a good day. Staggering beneath this beam towards an agonising death , in a state of near terror, Alice could barely make forward progress.

View attachment 579274

And the noise! People shrieking, cackling with laughter, taunting her. One mad woman started pulling at her robe.

"No! Get off me! Leave me alone!"

The centurion was hitting her with his club, trying to make her go faster, but it was no good.

View attachment 579275

She sank to her knees beneath the huge beam.

View attachment 579276

"Oh, fuck this for a game!" The centurion's patience had vapourised. "We'll be here till nightfall!"

View attachment 579277

"Oi! You!" He singled out a reasonably fit looking man in the crowd. "Got a job for you!"

"What?"

"Carry something for a lady."

View attachment 579278

They cut through the ropes, and lifted the weight from Alice's shoulders.

View attachment 579279

The stranger took the burden, and they resumed the trek towards the crucifixion ground at Golgotha.

Thank's for this great story W! Nice manips and this genre is my favorite one..........also a very nice model!

Does that happen among Jews though?
'Names are often given after relatives, among the Ashkenazim only after deceased relatives...
a child may have two or more names after different relatives' Louis Jacobs 'Concise Companion to the Jewish Religion'.

He also mentions that traditionally the mother chooses the name for the first-born, father for the second, though Nahmanides said it should be the other way about. In Luke's Gospel, Elizabeth's 'neighbours and cousins' expect her baby to be called Zacharias after his father, but she says he should be called John. They say 'there is none of thy kindred that is called by that name', and ask the (temporarily dumb) Zacharias to write what the child should be named, he confirms the name John, and regains his power of speech. Jesus, on the other hand, is given his name in advance by the angel at the Annunciation, Matthew and Luke simply state that, but presumably when he was born, Mary rather than Joseph said what he would be named.

I think the Anglicised version would be 'Alice Patterson'
:D clever, but that's actually Patrick's son :cool:

Last edited:
Unfortunately the name Barabbas means "son of the father", which is pretty odd in itself and unfortunately inappropriate in this context. Maybe someone with more Hebrew than I have could suggest an alternative?
Bob and I have been discussing this in a PM, hence the reference to 'Joseph Barabbas', and I'll leave it for him to reply more fully. Clearly for the premise of the story I needed to replace Barabbas with a woman.
'Names are often given after relatives, among the Ashkenazim only after deceased relatives...
a child may have two or more names after different relatives' Louis Jacobs 'Concise Companion to the Jewish Religion'.
Lots of information is coming in, some of which may challenge my theories, but here goes...

As observed by Phlebas, the name, 'Barabbas' translates as, 'son of a father' (Bar Abba) and there is a theory that it was used as a popular false name by Jews who were challenged by the Romans. E.g. 'Who are you?' Answer, 'Barabbas', which would be quite truthful, if unhelpful, and it was assumed that the Romans wouldn't know any better (they probably did.) But of course 'son of a father' literally only works for a male.

I am not an expert on names or languages, and so I would welcome any thoughts here from those who are.
Ancient Aramaic is an obscure language, but appears to be related to Hebrew.
The written forms do not assist me with pronunciation, but perhaps we can make some educated guesses.

Naming among Jews in the Bible, as elsewhere, is about identifying particular individuals, since many names are very common (e.g. the number of Marys.) Sometimes individuals are specified by relationship e.g. 'Mary the mother of Jesus'. Alternatively, 'Mary Magdalene' may be a full name, title, or 'Mary from Magdala' etc.

One of the most common names was, 'Jesus' (Yeshu) because this is a popular derivation of 'Joshua' (Yeshua.)
Jesus is generally identified as 'Jesus of Nazareth' or 'The Nazarene'. But given that the place called Nazareth, on the Galilean coast, did not exist until considerably later than the time of Jesus, this name/title is a convenient corruption.
Pilate's titulus, stating, 'Iesvs Nasarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm' most likely refers to 'Jesus the Nazorean', the Nazoreans/Nazarenes being a religious sect associated with the Essenes of Qumran. Pilate is therefore identifying the messianic pretender as some kind of religious fanatic.

At this rate, it seems that Biblical names provide scope for speculation.

I believe very little written Aramaic has been preserved, but the relationship to Hebrew can assist us.
The written Aramaic words for, 'father, daughter, son' are: ברא, ברתא, אבא
The written Hebrew words for, 'father, daughter, son' are: בנו, בתו, האב
In each case, the words for, 'daughter' and 'son' are differentiated by only one letter.

'Barabbas/son of a father' in Hebrew is: בנו של האב whereas, 'daughter of a father' is: בתו של האב

I don't know, but I would not be surprised if the words for, 'son' and, 'daughter' are phonetically very similar.
If we speculate that 'Bar' translates as, 'begotten by', then 'Barabbas' might sound like, and translate as, either, 'son of a father' or, 'daughter of a father.' And to Roman ears, there might be no distinction.

In this alternative history, whether authentically or not, 'Barabbas' is simply being used as a family name. The male character named 'Joseph Barabbas' obviously has a different role here to the one in the original passion narrative.
But if we take the view that a female is using a masculine identifier, e.g. 'Alice Barabbas', then this is no different from the kind of naming in which e.g. 'Alice Fatherson' is understood to be a female.
In Eulalia's 'Lassie-Hunting', 'Lulie MacAlister' literally means, 'Lulie, son of Alister'. But, of course we understand the name to mean, 'Lulie, daughter of (the) MacAlister' or 'Lulie of the Clan MacAlister' etc.

And Lulie MacAlister does look kind of familiar... :)

Lassie-Hunting In The Northern Forest 2 50pc.jpg

In Eulalia's 'Lassie-Hunting', 'Lulie MacAlister' literally means, 'Lulie, son of Alister'. But, of course we understand the name to mean, 'Lulie, daughter of (the) MacAlister' or 'Lulie of the Clan MacAlister'
very true, though in a Gaelic context I'd be Luilidh nic (daughter of) Alasdair, not mac.
And I suppose a female Barabbas would be Batabbas?

I'm not sure I'm all that well-informed :)
It would be possible to edit the title and the text, but my instinct would be to leave it, the name Barabbas is familiar,
Alice Barabbas is obviously not a real 1st century name, but it's transparent to readers,
changing to Batabbas would seem a bit pedantic and confusing
And although Bat- is 'daughter of' in modern Hebrew, I think the only Biblical example is Bathsheba,
'daughter of the oath' - I don't know whether the 'th' is an older form, or affected by the following 'sh' -
so I'm not sure whether female Barabbas would be Batabbas or Bathabbas -
unless someone who really knows what they're talking about can help, it's best to let her be, I think :)

Lots of information is coming in, some of which may challenge my theories, but here goes...

As observed by Phlebas, the name, 'Barabbas' translates as, 'son of a father' (Bar Abba) and there is a theory that it was used as a popular false name by Jews who were challenged by the Romans. E.g. 'Who are you?' Answer, 'Barabbas', which would be quite truthful, if unhelpful, and it was assumed that the Romans wouldn't know any better (they probably did.) But of course 'son of a father' literally only works for a male.

I am not an expert on names or languages, and so I would welcome any thoughts here from those who are.
Ancient Aramaic is an obscure language, but appears to be related to Hebrew.
The written forms do not assist me with pronunciation, but perhaps we can make some educated guesses.

Naming among Jews in the Bible, as elsewhere, is about identifying particular individuals, since many names are very common (e.g. the number of Marys.) Sometimes individuals are specified by relationship e.g. 'Mary the mother of Jesus'. Alternatively, 'Mary Magdalene' may be a full name, title, or 'Mary from Magdala' etc.

One of the most common names was, 'Jesus' (Yeshu) because this is a popular derivation of 'Joshua' (Yeshua.)
Jesus is generally identified as 'Jesus of Nazareth' or 'The Nazarene'. But given that the place called Nazareth, on the Galilean coast, did not exist until considerably later than the time of Jesus, this name/title is a convenient corruption.
Pilate's titulus, stating, 'Iesvs Nasarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm' most likely refers to 'Jesus the Nazorean', the Nazoreans/Nazarenes being a religious sect associated with the Essenes of Qumran. Pilate is therefore identifying the messianic pretender as some kind of religious fanatic.

At this rate, it seems that Biblical names provide scope for speculation.

I believe very little written Aramaic has been preserved, but the relationship to Hebrew can assist us.
The written Aramaic words for, 'father, daughter, son' are: ברא, ברתא, אבא
The written Hebrew words for, 'father, daughter, son' are: בנו, בתו, האב
In each case, the words for, 'daughter' and 'son' are differentiated by only one letter.

'Barabbas/son of a father' in Hebrew is: בנו של האב whereas, 'daughter of a father' is: בתו של האב

I don't know, but I would not be surprised if the words for, 'son' and, 'daughter' are phonetically very similar.
If we speculate that 'Bar' translates as, 'begotten by', then 'Barabbas' might sound like, and translate as, either, 'son of a father' or, 'daughter of a father.' And to Roman ears, there might be no distinction.

In this alternative history, whether authentically or not, 'Barabbas' is simply being used as a family name. The male character named 'Joseph Barabbas' obviously has a different role here to the one in the original passion narrative.
But if we take the view that a female is using a masculine identifier, e.g. 'Alice Barabbas', then this is no different from the kind of naming in which e.g. 'Alice Fatherson' is understood to be a female.
In Eulalia's 'Lassie-Hunting', 'Lulie MacAlister' literally means, 'Lulie, son of Alister'. But, of course we understand the name to mean, 'Lulie, daughter of (the) MacAlister' or 'Lulie of the Clan MacAlister' etc.

And Lulie MacAlister does look kind of familiar... :)

View attachment 579654

Hey, I feel quite stupid now, being a student of linguistics and the son of a preacher. Thank you all so much for all the information. This all goes into my notebooks. Thanks for the manips and the stories and helping me with my lessons. :D

Back
Top Bottom