Alice, Daughter of Barabbas

Go to CruxDreams.com
When you’ve been forcibly stripped naked and then had your wrists and heels nailed to a cross the word ‘worse’ has no meaning. Every sense, every thought, every breath, every nerve and every sinew is fully engaged in coping with the appalling reality of ‘now’. There is no resource left to consider the future.

It wasn’t until she felt the cross start to move that Alice realised that she was, in fact, about to experience the full impact of ‘worse’.

View attachment 583737

“Oh No! Oh please, no! Have mercy! Wait!”

But they had no concept of ‘mercy’, or if they did, they weren’t applying it to Alice. The cross began to tilt upwards to join the other two, already mounted in their slots on the hilltop. And gravity joined in on the assault on her body as her entire body weight was steadily transferred onto those four cruel spikes.

Wow. I think this is your best image yet, Wragg, well complimented by the text. Her body beautifully laid out, the inevitability of what is to come etched on her face as the Romans go about their work methodically.
Mercy? There is no concept of mercy here. Simply the brutality of an everyday cruxing, the relentless journey towards an unbearable yet unavoidable ordeal.
Bravo.

Now we have Jolly’s “sympathy emoter”, in addition to Wragg’s “loathoneter”, to add to our official arsenal of CF analytical tools. :p

Sympathy in spades, but I'm sure Jolly admits that there is something competing with that sympathy. We watch with sympathy, but our hearts beat faster, our eyes drink thirstily, our male natures are stirred by more than just care for the helpless. That face, that body as the wood rises to an upright angle. It stirs us in many ways.
Such a nice shape she makes on her cross. Contours and ridges and curves, enhanced by the cross.
(Phlebas goes off to work on his shape-ometer)

ps thanks for the hint of thatch :D

Last edited:
Alice was thrown about wildly as the cross came to the vertical and dropped into its socket, ripping at the nail wounds, and then one of the soldiers walloped in a wedge to keep it upright.

Alice Golgotha 040.jpg

The crowd cheered and jeered wildly at the three crosses, but most of the attention was on the centre cross. Even the soldiers were joining in:

Alice Golgotha 041.jpg

“That’ll teach you, slut!”

“Can I get her down and take her home and shag her?”

“Phwooar! Look at her!”

After what had seemed like an eternity of hammering and agonising movement the process of crucifixion was over and Alice could begin to make an attempt at coming to terms with what had happened to her. At first, her world was only one of pain, and only gradually did she become aware again of the howling crowd. Suddenly, with a jolt that sent further shockwaves of pain through her body, she realised that she was on display, completely naked, before hundreds of strangers.

Alice Golgotha 042.jpg

She surveyed the crowd but saw only hostile or leering faces. Once again she asked herself why they hated her so much. Desperately, she searched for a friendly face, and then
Alice Golgotha 044.jpg

she saw him.

Her father.

Alice Golgotha 043.jpg

“Daddy! DADDY! HELP ME! PLEASE!”

The crowd fell silent at the anguished cry from Golgotha, but Joseph was stricken.

I Watched

I watched them ease you from the womb,
I heard your lusty cry
They say now you’re a rebel who
They’ll lead out there to die.

I watched them wrap you with great care
Felt your finger’s new-born grip
They strip your lovely body bare
And thrash you with a whip.

I watched your first steps on life’s road
I heard you start to talk
You’re struggling ‘neath your wooden load
Upon your final walk.

I watched o’er you when you were ill
And soothed your discontent
You’ve fallen on this rocky hill
And I am impotent.

I watched to keep you from all harm
I swore I’d never fail
They’re stretching out your slender arms
Preparing cruel nails.

I watched to see you’d not be hurt
But then you left my home;
I watch now as your life-blood spurts
I hear you scream and groan.

I watch them as they raise you high
Your screams! My blood runs cold!
My only daughter, crucified
At twenty-two years old.

I watch you from this howling crowd
I call, Oh, can you hear?
My precious, hush your screaming loud -
Your daddy’s standing near!

Alice looked down into her father’s eyes, and knew that neither he nor anyone else could help her now. Only the Angel of Death was going to release her from this hell of suffering. She wondered how long she would have to wait for him.

Last edited:
Alice looked down into her father’s eyes, and knew that neither he nor anyone else could help her now. Only the Angel of Death was going to release her from this hell of suffering. She wondered how long she would have to wait for him.
OMG - More powerful illustrations and text!
The interaction between father and daughter...
And Joseph's poignant poetry - this is just heartbreaking!
An altogether emotional narration - brilliantly told, Wragg!

Alice was thrown about wildly as the cross came to the vertical and dropped into its socket, ripping at the nail wounds, and then one of the soldiers walloped in a wedge to keep it upright.

View attachment 584003

The crowd cheered and jeered wildly at the three crosses, but most of the attention was on the centre cross. Even the soldiers were joining in:

View attachment 584004

“That’ll teach you, slut!”

“Can I get her down and take her home and shag her?”

“Phwooar! Look at her!”

After what had seemed like an eternity of hammering and agonising movement the process of crucifixion was over and Alice could begin to make an attempt at coming to terms with what had happened to her. At first, her world was only one of pain, and only gradually did she become aware again of the howling crowd. Suddenly, with a jolt that sent further shockwaves of pain through her body, she realised that she was on display, completely naked, before hundreds of strangers.

View attachment 584005

She surveyed the crowd but saw only hostile or leering faces. Once again she asked herself why they hated her so much. Desperately, she searched for a friendly face, and then
View attachment 584013

she saw him.

Her father.

View attachment 584018

“Daddy! DADDY! HELP ME! PLEASE!”

The crowd fell silent at the anguished cry from Golgotha, but Joseph was stricken.

I Watched

I watched them ease you from the womb,
I heard your lusty cry
They say now you’re a rebel who
They’ll lead out there to die.

I watched them wrap you with great care
Felt your finger’s new-born grip
They strip your lovely body bare
And thrash you with a whip.

I watched your first steps on life’s road
I heard you start to talk
You’re struggling ‘neath your wooden load
Upon your final walk.

I watched o’er you when you were ill
And soothed your discontent
You’ve fallen on this rocky hill
And I am impotent.

I watched to keep you from all harm
I swore I’d never fail
They’re stretching out your slender arms
Preparing cruel nails.

I watched to see you’d not be hurt
But then you left my home;
I watch now as your life-blood spurts
I hear you scream and groan.

I watch them as they raise you high
Your screams! My blood runs cold!
My only daughter, crucified
At twenty-two years old.

I watch you from this howling crowd
I call, Oh, can you hear?
My precious, hush your screaming loud -
Your daddy’s standing near!

Great story, with very good poetry and wonderful manips. Very well done Lord Wragg:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

the story is going really great. I particularly love the following two images

in the first, Alice's naked body is beautifully arched outwards on the cross highlighting it in the composition as it should

the second is another beautiful and creative angle that underlines her shame at being displayed completely naked before the crowd of strangers

View attachment 584003

Suddenly, with a jolt that sent further shockwaves of pain through her body, she realised that she was on display, completely naked, before hundreds of strangers.

View attachment 584005

Some loud groaning from her left reminded Alice that she wasn't suffering alone.

Alice Golgotha 045.jpg

Another paroxysm of agony shook her, then she felt able to say, "Hi"

Painfully, his head swivelled to look at her.

"I'm Ramen," he croaked, "what's....your... name?"

"Alice."

"You're very.... young. And very...pretty. How did you get.... here?"

"A Roman....tried... to rape me, but I was....working....in the kitchen. I.....had a knife....."

"Bloody....hell! Andrew? Did....you hear.... that?"

Alice Golgotha 046.jpg

Andrew had problems of his own, but he had heard. "Good....for you!"

There was a silence, then he added. "We....stole a chicken. All....this....for a fucking....chicken!"

"Yeah, Alice..." Ramen grinned painfully. "At least... you.... did something worth....being....crucified for!"

Alice Golgotha 047.jpg

Alice looked at them. 'Idiots,' she thought. 'Nothing is worth being crucified for. And now I have to die between a pair of morons.'

Some loud groaning from her left reminded Alice that she wasn't suffering alone.

View attachment 584547

"Alice."

"A Roman....tried... to rape me, but I was....working....in the kitchen. I.....had a knife....."

View attachment 584548

There was a silence, then he added. "We....stole a chicken. All....this....for a fucking....chicken!"

"Yeah, Alice..." Ramen grinned painfully. "At least... you.... did something worth....being....crucified for!"

View attachment 584549

Alice looked at them. 'Idiots,' she thought. 'Nothing is worth being crucified for. And now I have to die between a pair of morons.'
That wasn't really nice of Alice to think. I suppose she is getting what she deserves...

View attachment 584547

"Alice."

View attachment 584548

View attachment 584549

Alice deserves better company.

Messrs Bobinder, Madiosi, and Phlebas, otherwise known as 'The Oracles' are giving me help and advice, for which I am exceedingly grateful.

They felt that Alice was too large in some of the immediate post-crucifixion images,and I could see what they meant, so they have been 'improved' (the images, not the Oracles :doh:)

Alice Golgotha 040.jpg Alice Golgotha 041.jpg Alice Golgotha 042.jpg Alice Golgotha 043.jpg

I shall replace them above as well,

Messrs Bobinder, Madiosi, and Phlebas, otherwise known as 'The Oracles' are giving me help and advice, for which I am exceedingly grateful.

They felt that Alice was too large in some of the immediate post-crucifixion images,and I could see what they meant, so they have been 'improved' (the images, not the Oracles :doh:)

View attachment 584658 View attachment 584659View attachment 584660 View attachment 584661

I shall replace them above as well,
I guess the important question is the wench suffering???

A wonderfully concise analysis of relative attitudes towards crime and punishment by the condemned - and complemented by more impressive artwork!

The men admire Alice for both her looks and her 'crime'. Since their own offence is relatively trivial, they seem to envy Alice's worthy efforts to qualify for an equal penalty. Of course, this is no comfort to her and she trivialises the men for their misplaced admiration.

I seem to recall an Anzac prisoner of war being crucified for chicken theft in 'A Town Like Alice' - is that a deliberate reference or simply a topical coincidence? :D

Back
Top Bottom