Arena Slave

Go to CruxDreams.com
J

Juan1234

It wasn't usually my job. My job was to clean the stalls where the prisoners were held the night before being executed in the arena. Usually they would be taken to the stalls of the coliseum around mid-morning the day before, and they would spend the rest of that day, then the night, and part of the next day, waiting for the guards to come for them. By the time I came, they were usually gone, and I cleaned their empty stalls.

Friday was different. It was especially busy, and everyone coordinating the show was running around, shouting at each other.

"Those lions should be out there by now!!"

"We're supposed to have five crosses at this gate! Why are there only four!? Get another cross over here NOW!"

"Where's the Alaman!? The lictors are standing around waiting for him - go and get him!!"

I was rushing around too, and trying desperately not to get in the way. Then my master told me to go to stall 3 on the left by the fourth gate. I went, but found it shut. When I looked inside, there was a girl hugging her knees in the corner and rocking. I thought it must be the wrong stall. I panicked for a moment. I didn't want to bother my master with the problem. But what else was there to do? So I returned.

"Sir-"

"WHAT?" He turned on me, waiting without patience or me to state my business.

"Sir, there's a girl in that stall."

"I know!! Get her out! They'll be here for her as soon as the lions finish with that Christian family. There's only two of them left."

I wanted to ask more, and I almost did. But I had seen the guards take the prisoners out and ready them for the executioners. I thought it better to do my best than to ask more questions.

"She's small, she won't hurt you," said my master, slightly calmer. I nodded and ran back.

I opened the stall and stood before the girl, who looked up at me with the most sorrowful blue eyes I have ever seen. I was probably frowning. I wanted to behave like a guard.

"Do you speak Latin?" I asked. She looked at me blankly. My heart pounded. "Get up," I said, not quite as roughly as I meant to. She understood my gesture and stood. She was even younger than I was!

"Take off your clothes," I motioned as explicitly as I could. She understood, but shook her head and covered her face, weeping. My master would wonder what was taking so long. I stepped forward, took her tunic with both hands by the collar, and tugged it down, ripping it open slightly. It was harder than the guards made it look, but at least this weeping girl wasn't resisting. The first tug had only bared her shoulders. I kept going, tugging and ripping until her breasts were bare. Why was I doing this? Soon the tunic was at her hips, and another few pulls brought it to a pile about her ankles. I took a step back. There she was, naked, and shaking. I was shaking some too. She did her best to cover herself with her arms and hands. It didn't feel as good as I had expected to act like a guard. Such sorrowful eyes!

Time was passing! I took her by the shoulders and turned her around, then tied her hands behind her. Next I led her out of the stall to stand and wait outside the door. She kept looking in my eyes. I wished she wouldn't. I had done this to her!

I had done the job. She was there where she was supposed to be, bound and naked, so that the executioners could take her quickly and directly to the arena without a fuss. I went into the stall to clean.

After a few minutes, during which she and I were very aware of each others' presence on the other side of the bars, they came for her.

"Oh, perfect," one of the growled. My heart pounded. "She's supposed to have a patibulum!" My heart sank. "Boy!" he was addressing me now. "Go get that patibulum! We're already late!" I sprinted across the broad corridor and fetched the beam and brought it to them - three of them, surrounding the girl. She wept quietly as they cut her bonds, dropped the heavy beam roughly across her shoulders, and tied it to her - or her to it. It was all very fast. Then one of them had his boot on her naked buttocks, shoving her forward, trotting unsteadily into the sunlight. Then she was gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't usually my job. My job was to clean the stalls where the prisoners were held the night before being executed in the arena. Usually they would be taken to the stalls of the coliseum around mid-morning the day before, and thy would spend the rest of that day, then the night, and part of the next day, waiting for the guards to come for them. By the time I came, they were usually gone, and I cleaned their empty stalls.

Friday was different. It was especially busy, and everyone coordinating the show was running around, shouting at each other.

"We're supposed to have five crosses at this gate! Why are there only four!? Get another cross over here NOW!"

"Where's the Alaman!? The lictors are standing around waiting for him - go and get him!!"

I was rushing around too, and trying desperately not to get in the way. Then my master told me to go to stall 3 on the left by the fourth gate. I went, but found it shut. When I looked inside, there was a girl hugging her knees in the corner and rocking. I thought it must be the wrong stall. I panicked for a moment. I didn't want to bother my master with the problem. But what else was there to do? So I returned.

"Sir-"

"I know!! Get her out! They'll be here for her as soon as the lions finish with that Christian family. There's only two of them left."

I wanted to ask more, and I almost did. But I had seen the guards take the prisoners out and ready them for the executioners. I thought it better to do my best than to ask more questions.

"She's small, she won't hurt you," said my master, slightly calmer. I nodded and ran back.

I opened the stall and stood before the girl, who looked up at me with the most sorrowful blue eyes I have ever seen. I was probably frowning. I wanted to behave like a guard.

"Do you speak Latin?" I asked. She looked at me blankly. My heart pounded. "Get up," I said, not quite as roughly as I meant to. She understood my gesture and stood. She was even younger than I was!

"Take off your clothes," I motioned as explicitly as I could. She understood, but shook her head and covered her face, weeping. My master would wonder what was taking so long. I stepped forward, took her tunic with both hands by the collar, and tugged it down, ripping it open slightly. It was harder than the guards made it look, but at least this weeping girl wasn't resisting. The first tug had only bared her shoulders. I kept going, tugging and ripping until her breasts were bare. Why was I doing this? Soon the tunic was at her hips, and another few pulls brought it to a pile about her ankles. I took a step back. There she was, naked, and shaking. I was shaking some too. She did her best to cover herself with her arms and hands. It didn't feel as good as I had expected to act like a guard. Such sorrowful eyes!

Time was passing! I took her by the shoulders and turned her around, then tied her hands behind her. Next I led her out of the stall to stand and wait outside the door. She kept looking in my eyes. I wished she wouldn't. I had done this to her!

I had done the job. She was there where she was supposed to be, bound and naked, so that the executioners could take her quickly and directly to the arena without a fuss. I went into the stall to clean.

After a few minutes, during which she and I were very aware of each others' presence on the other side of the bars, they came for her.

"Oh, perfect," one of the growled. My heart pounded. "She's supposed to have a patibulum!" My heart sank. "Boy!" he was addressing me now. "Go get that patibulum! We're already late!" I sprinted across the broad corridor and fetched the beam and brought it to them - three of them, surrounding the girl. She wept quietly as they cut her bonds, dropped the heavy beam roughly across her shoulders, and tied it to her - or her to it. It was all very fast. Then one of them had his boot on her naked buttocks, shoving her forward, trotting unsteadily into the sunlight. Then she was gone.

Nicely done! What happens next?

Nicely done! What happens next?
Well... The thought was to concentrate on this one interaction. Probably partly because of time constraints, and partly because of my lack of skill, I apparently wasn't able to leave you feeling satisfied and complete with this interaction. :) The idea was to feel all the awkwardness of these two people thrust into this circumstance. Neither hates the other. Neither has any particular reason to do anything to the other. And yet, here they are, and he's stripping her naked and tying her up so that she can be crucified. Oh well... Maybe next time. :)

Well... The thought was to concentrate on this one interaction. Probably partly because of time constraints, and partly because of my lack of skill, I apparently wasn't able to leave you feeling satisfied and complete with this interaction. :) The idea was to feel all the awkwardness of these two people thrust into this circumstance. Neither hates the other. Neither has any particular reason to do anything to the other. And yet, here they are, and he's stripping her naked and tying her up so that she can be crucified. Oh well... Maybe next time. :)

No, no! You succeeded admirably. A refreshing look into the feelings of awkwardness, confusion, shame, and searching between two people. That I noticed right away and thought extremely well done. I was just curious as to whether there was more and what might happen to further the interaction between the two characters.

No, no! You succeeded admirably. A refreshing look into the feelings of awkwardness, confusion, shame, and searching between two people. That I noticed right away and thought extremely well done. I was just curious as to whether there was more and what might happen to further the interaction between the two characters.
Well thanks, Barb. :) I'll think about it...

It wasn't usually my job. My job was to clean the stalls where the prisoners were held the night before being executed in the arena. Usually they would be taken to the stalls of the coliseum around mid-morning the day before, and they would spend the rest of that day, then the night, and part of the next day, waiting for the guards to come for them. By the time I came, they were usually gone, and I cleaned their empty stalls.

"Sir-"

:eek:That cries, for more!:mad: :popcorn:
Sorry for the big red letters, my moderator-collegues.

Yes, I think that's right - it's almost like a short poem, it says enough to draw us into a vivid scene,
one we can see, hear, even smell in our imaginations, enter into the feelings - no need to say more,
we don't know why she's there, we can imagine what's coming next, but the skill is drawing us into the moment.

It's a beautiful short account of a minor slave/employee who isn't quite prepared for the close contact. In another context he'd have been all awkward and trying to think about how to approach her. Instead, we have this poignant ambiguity. I think it is complete in itself. A great job, Juan! :clapping:

No, less is more. Everyone should use their imagination. A little mystery is good. Maybe she was crucified, maybe there was a last minute pardon, or maybe it was all a dream...

I'm with Windar. It's a perfect little vignette just as it is. The interplay between the characters, the thoughts of the stall attendant who finds himself in an odd and confusing situation, the contrast with the real guards going about their daily work. I like it! Really no need to turn it into a full story. The interest is in this specific setting.

Before reading any comments, I thought this was a complete story, one unusual interlude in the mundane life of a slave/worker who's only ambition was to ensure he never went into the arena naked himself. Pick up the shovel, hope the next one hadn't had diarrhoea.

I think you did fine with it where it stopped!!!

I like this kind of short stories. There is no need to make it any longer. What happened before and what will happen next is left to our imagination.
You caught the situation perfecly. The terrified girl and the arena slave who has to do his job. The ambiguity of his feelings. Power versus conscience, compassion and reluctance.
Coincidentally I have something similar in the pipeline. A picture with a short text. I will post it later and perhaps I'll make a pic for your story too.

Everybody - thanks VERY much for your kind words and gracious acceptance of the story. I hadn't seen all these comments yet when I decided to write another draft of the same story. Hopefully this is an improvement, and hopefully you'll have patience with me as I bare my creative process and under-baked drafts to you. Thanks again.

I was rushing around too, and trying desperately not to get in the way. Then my master told me to go to stall 3 on the left by the fourth gate. I went, but found it shut. When I looked inside, there was a girl hugging her knees in the corner and rocking, her blond hair falling over her face, her arms, and her knees. I thought it must be the wrong stall. I panicked for a moment. I didn't want to bother my master with the problem. But what else was there to do? So I returned.

"Sir-"

"WHAT?" He turned on me, waiting without patience for me to state my business.

"She's small, she won't hurt you," said my master, slightly calmer. I nodded and ran back. Often the prisoners were big men, and I couldn't have controlled them.

"Do you speak Latin?" I asked. Her unchanged expression showed no comprehension, only despair. My heart pounded. "Get up," I said, not quite as roughly as I meant to. She understood my gesture and stood slowly, trembling visibly. She was even younger than I was!
The stall was all bars behind me, and the hectic bustle outside continued, but even with so many people everywhere, I felt somehow that we were alone. Maybe it was the three stone walls and the dim light. Maybe it was those eyes. If I had met her somewhere else, I might have offered to share my lunch with her, or plucked a flower and put it in her hair.

"Take off your clothes," I motioned as explicitly as I could. She understood, but shook her head and covered her face, weeping. She was probably a slave, like me. I wondered what her crime was.

My master would wonder what was taking so long. I stepped forward, less sure of myself than I tried to appear (strange - I felt the urge to impress her), took her tunic with both hands by the collar, and tugged it down, ripping it open slightly. It was harder than the guards made it look, but at least this weeping girl wasn't resisting. The first tug had only bared her shoulders, and I was a little frustrated. I kept going, tugging and ripping until her breasts were bare. Why was I doing this? She still had her hands on her face, and the rough cloth had bunched up at her elbows as I jerked it down. It must have hurt her. Without provocation from me, she let her arms down and pulled them trough the torn sleeves, so that the tunic hung at her hips. I paused for a moment to look at her, and at first, all I could think of was how beautiful her young body looked - like the marbles of Venus, smooth and clear. Then I was looking in her teary eyes again, and my stomach turned. Her beauty was not mine to see.

I took hold of her tunic again. Another few pulls brought it to a pile about her ankles. I took a step back. There she was, naked, and shaking. I was shaking some too. She did her best to cover herself with her arms and hands. It didn't feel as good as I had expected to act like a guard. Such sorrowful eyes!

Time was passing! I took her by the shoulders and turned her around, then held her hands behind her and took a length of rope to bind her. She didn't struggle with me, but as I held her hands, I could feel her weeping shudders. I didn't intentionally look at her bare bottom as I tied her, but there it was. When I had finished, I turned her back around. She couldn't cover herself with her arms now. She stood there naked, head slightly bowed, shoulders leaning forward as if they could cover her, nipples cold and hard, vulva rudely exposed beneath her sparse, blond pubic patch; and as she shivered there, waiting for my next decision on what direction this last day of her life would take, somehow her nakedness reminded me less of the marbles of Venus. She was ready to be executed. (Ha! As if I could decide such a thing!)

As I led her out of the stall to stand and wait outside the door, I wondered how she would be put to death. Somehow my mind settled on impalement. I didn't like the thought of them ramming a stake up through her slender young body, but at least it would likely kill her quickly. She kept looking in my eyes. I wished she wouldn't.

I had done the job. She was there where she was supposed to be, bound and naked, so that the executioners could take her quickly and directly to the arena without a fuss. Soon she would be dead. I went into the stall to clean.

I started cleaning just inside the door, right behind her, even though there was little to do there. Her bum was distracting. Just a little higher were her hands, already looking red, and her wrists, already chafed by the ropes I had bound her with. She kept glancing over her bare shoulders at me, obviously uncomfortable with where I had placed myself. Of course all the men rushing around had found a moment to glance at her, and she was defenseless against their glances. Why did they have to make her feel so awkward while she waited? And how could I tell her that I was not like them? That I wasn't gawking like they were?

After a few minutes, they came for her.
"Oh, perfect," one of the growled. My heart pounded. "She's supposed to have a patibulum!" My heart sank. So she would be crucified. "Boy!" he was addressing me now. "Go get that patibulum! We're already late!" I sprinted across the broad corridor and fetched the beam my girl would be nailed to in a few short minutes, and from which she would hang in agony as she slowly died, naked as I had stripped her. I brought it quickly to them - three of them, surrounding the girl. She wept quietly as they cut her bonds, dropped the heavy beam roughly across her shoulders, and tied it to her - or her to it. Something about the sight of these three large, muscular men swarming around the small girl made me angry. She couldn't even speak to them. It was all very fast, and soon one of them had his boot on her naked buttocks, shoving her forward, trotting unsteadily toward the sunlight, toward her own death. Then she was gone. When she returned from the events in the arena, she would be a lifeless corpse. I wished I could call her back to explain.

Back
Top Bottom