Arena Slave

Go to CruxDreams.com
And don't forget Pope Gregory's painful pun about the blonde-haired Anglian
(as in Anglo-Saxon) boys in the slave-market ca 590,
Non Angli sed Angeli, 'Not Angles but Angels'

Or as Sellar and Yeatman had it in 1066 and All That:
"Not angels but Anglicans"

It's a brilliant book btw if you know and like British history, first published in 1930. I have several copies, and it lends itself to memorable (mangled) quotes like the one above. For a one-time Anglo-Saxonist like myself there is the confusion between King Alfred and King Arthur, the wave of saints including the Venomous Bede, Hengist and his wife (? or horse) Horsa, and the wave of egg kings, including Eggbreth and Eggfroth. Well, I think it's funny, anyway. It goes from the Roman conquest of Britain all the way up the WWI.

My grandparents were born in NW and NE Italy, Rome, and Sicily yet my eldest sister is blonde... Does hair coloring count??? ...she was a Breck Girl!

Plenty of blondes in the north of Italy.

I'll also add this: I have tough skin, and getting some constructive criticism would be pleasant and refreshing. When I get NO criticism, it can be hard to know if everybody is really paying attention. ;) With that in mind, if anybody thinks that my second draft is inferior to my first (maybe I've added too much and taken away from it by explaining to death?) please say so! Or anything else you would have done differently. Thanks again for reading at all. :)
I love your story. The emotions are conveyed clearly and strongly, especially the awkwardness. Please write more stories!

The story is good.
Thanks, Dauphin! You might also enjoy my short story “The Guilty,” my running thread of vignettes “Fragments,” or my almost finished “Talbus - The Guard.” :) Thanks again for reading!

Back
Top Bottom