Aunt Flavia

Go to CruxDreams.com
We need to start with a loquacious, pretentious title.

"A randomized, double-blind trial of the acute and chronic consequences of invasive and non-invasive suspensions of the distal limbs of the unclad female, with particular reference to the physiological, haematological and microbiological changes thereto, in the context of historical re-enactments of judicial termination of animate existence."

[The exact method of nailing with the carnifex blinded will be the subject of another grant application]
So, you've written grant applications before.

Thanks for the likes and comments!
Just one more thing. The picture that inspired me for this story, was a great one, made by @crumera and posted earlier this year :

crmercyatdusk.jpg

In his comment, Crumera focused on the scene in the background, with the wife of a murderer saying goodbye to her crucified husband (comes briefly at the end of my story), and witnessed by the guard, who awaits relief of duty, so he can go to the pub to have drink.
But what about the three crucified in front of the pic, seen from their back. A man and two women.
In my imagination, the rightmost woman is tall and mature, I guess some 40-45 years old. The other two look younger, I figure, some 20 years younger than her.
Why have they been crucified? Are they related to each other?

My imagination did the rest.

You made my day Loxuru:D
Feeling honored to have made the inspirational picture for your story!

Great story BTW

Any inspiration by this masterpiece? The name of the original artist escapes me
I agree with the 'masterpiece' (one from Jastrow's many), however, this didn't inspire me for the story.

But I agree, it sets a comparable company.
Only the order of the crosses is different. But it often happens that witness accounts differ.
Unfortunately, the only 'historical source' I had available, was Crumera's pic.;)

Maybe, as this one reveals, Alexius had a secret crush for his aunt.

Flavia, Alexius, Domitia and Drusus were found guilty for murder and conspiracy and condemned to death.
Madiosi-2019-257-Aunt Flavia.jpg
The judge added an addendum to the verdict. Since Alexius and Domitia had taken part in the murder of their own father, they had committed patricide. Since all four were condemned for conspiracy, the consequences of this verdict also applied on equal terms to Flavia and Drusus.

But in Flavia’s mind, it was still twilight! She had never considered that Drusus could have a wife. She never had asked about it. She had thought he was a loner. Another sad misjudgment she had made, particularly sad for the woman.
Madiosi-2019-258-Aunt Flavia.jpg
It was still twilight in Flavia’s mind! She could not chase the view of Drusus and the woman!

The next day started for Flavia with watching how her favourite nephew and niece were flogged and multiple raped, before she and Drusus got the same treatment. Clad in rags, they were forced to march, in chains, through the streets of Luna, to outside the gate. Their calvary of humiliation, pain and anticipation of more pain and death, ended at a field of stakes, waiting for flesh to die on. The stakes were erected on a hill, overlooking the sea, and in front of a small wooden army outpost.
Madiosi-2019-259-Aunt Flavia.jpg

That’s what Flavia imagined what Gaius was thinking, as she saw him look at her. Flavia meanwhile tried to suppress the terrible pain by staying as motionless as possible. Gaius’ square nails terribly scratched against her wrist and ankle bones, any time she made a move. And although the cornu felt uncomfortable and painful too, penetrating in her ass, it gave her a relative resting seat. She breathed heavily, but she could at least breathe! The inconvenience of the situation was of course that she kept all the time aware of her surroundings, and of her own humiliating situation. Enough to be aware of her’s and Domitia’s and Alexius’ public nudity. They never had seen each other naked before, now they were it all three together, their bare flesh publically exposed. She felt shame for herself and vicarious shame for Alexius and Domitia. And she noticed Alexius and Domitia had the same feelings towards her. All three watched each other, horrified, but each time avoided and turned down each other’s eye contact.
Madiosi-2019-260-Aunt Flavia.jpg
Flavia would have wanted to shout to the onlookers to go away and at least leave them to suffer alone. But she knew it would not help at all. Gaius had at least behaved correctly during the nailing, but not his assistants. They had made demeaning and ambiguous remarks, insulted her, touched her, and particularly, they had had behaved rudely when they had fitted her cornu. As she was up now, she felt the lustful looks on her body, from Gaius and his men, from the soldiers, from the other condemned. There would be more people to come, soon.

Flavia, Alexius, Domitia and Drusus were found guilty for murder and conspiracy and condemned to death.
View attachment 758517
The judge added an addendum to the verdict. Since Alexius and Domitia had taken part in the murder of their own father, they had committed patricide. Since all four were condemned for conspiracy, the consequences of this verdict also applied on equal terms to Flavia and Drusus.
'Caesarem appello!' Flavia howled. 'Kaisara fucking epikaloumai!' :firedevil:

A well-written crux story, even if I'm not sure Italian municipal authorities could execute Roman citizens. Historians still argue over that, I think.

'Caesarem appello!' Flavia howled. 'Kaisara fucking epikaloumai!' :firedevil:

A well-written crux story, even if I'm not sure Italian municipal authorities could execute Roman citizens. Historians still argue over that, I think.
Thanks for the comments, Marcius.

I admit I took some 'artistic liberty', to arrange aunt Flavia's ultimate social falling down. As far as I found out, there was no seperate justice apparatus in Roman times. There was no seperation of powers as we know today, and speaking justice fell under what we would call today, executive power. Being a magistrate was part of the job of an administrator.
The general knowledge is, that Roman citizens were exempt of the sentence of crucifixion, but for the sake of the story fantasy, one could assume that these civil rights could be forfeited in certain cases, i.e. to set an exemple when the crime had threatened the social order of Roman society, as the Judge assumes in this story.

The general knowledge is, that Roman citizens were exempt of the sentence of crucifixion, but for the sake of the story fantasy, one could assume that these civil rights could be forfeited in certain cases, i.e. to set an exemple when the crime had threatened the social order of Roman society, as the Judge assumes in this story.

John Granger Cook. Crucifixion in the Mediterranean World p. 372. said:
Duncan Cloud argues, “It is impossible to believe that municipal magistrates in Puteoli had powers of crucifixion and vivicombustion over Roman citizens, powers denied to the praetor or iudex quaestionis in Rome.” A number of scholars do not find this so hard to believe, however.
:) It's just that Flavia and her co-crucified seem to be pretty important and not just some beachcombing children of freedmen, hence they probably would've been sent to Rome for trial. Might've been the sack instead of cross for them, too, but I've yet to see anyone with such fetish. :devil:

The sun had just gone down below the horizon. What was left of the day was the glow of twilight. An unusually intense red twilight. Flavia welcomed the evening with a relief. The best moment of the day : after the heath of the sun, before the cool -and frightening dark - of the night.

(the end)
Really good how you write about the emotional ups and downs of the crucified. Very intense.......

My own humble attempt to depict Aunt Flavia's fate (model is from a 1950's or 1960's BW vintage BDSM pic; background is the landscape near Carrara, with modern day houses, roads and TV antenna removed).

Here is the backstory :
Near Carrara, archeologists discovered that a mediëval farmstead has been built on the basements of a Roman villa. Scanning the walls with non-destructional methods, revealed a wall painting under the stucco.
flavia5a.jpg

The raw picture has been subjected to progressive digital processing.
flavia5b.jpg

Finally, the process revealed how the painting could have looked like.

flavia5d.jpg

And they even managed to upgrade it to nearly a BW photograph quality.

flavia5c.jpg

Archeologists and historians are convinced that the wall painting shows the crucifixion of a woman named Flavia, during the reign of emperor Trajan. Flavia had been condemned to death, together with her niece and nephew, for murdering her brother-in-law.
Roman citizens were rarely executed by crucifixion. A crucifixion of a Roman patrician woman and her family must have been a rare event, that it was a long remembered social event among the population and the patrician class. In so far that tradition remembers it up to today.

Back
Top Bottom