Barbary Coast

Go to CruxDreams.com
Never mind. I made the insertion and added a line of text. ;)
A little suggestion more, Mrs. Moore.
They ordered us to kneel and bow our heads slightly. I got down on my knees. I turned and looked back. The executioner had taken up his post behind me, his face impassive. The scimitar blade looked awfully sharp!
Before us stand three pointed poles. This three pointed poles mounted at the edge of the scaffolding were a grim reminder of the horror to come! Her dark brown color proof us, that she using many times in the past. In a short time should our blody heads exposed for the crowd on this poles.

Need probably a correction.

I was furious with both of them. The source of my predicament, after all, was their ill-considered plot to rescue me ... without my knowledge ... from the Sehzade’s harem. What could they possibly have been thinking of? ... did they really imagine that they could get away with such a hair-brained scheme right under the noses of one of some most powerful and secretive potentates in the world? And besides, I was madly in love with the Sehzade and hardly wanted to be rescued! Fools! Clearly they had been manipulated, by some sinister force, into nearly poisoning the Sehzade! And now, because of them, I was to die! It was all so terribly unfair!
Yeah, for once you get an unexpected free upgrade to an all-in arrangement.:cool:

Mary, assuming her role as my maid, asked me whether I slept well.

"What do you think?" I spat at her with contempt.

"Come now Lady Barbara. Look, they've brought us food," said Karim soothingly.

"Not hungry!!!"

"Anger, won't help," he replied, adding reasonably but not helpfully, "What's done is done, dear Lady Barbara. Today we die. It is our fate. Let's face this together."

I answered that one with dark brooding silence.

Karim and Mary looked at one another, shrugged and started eating. I resumed my study of water droplets on the cell wall, but I couldn't help but also listen to the sounds of munching. The pangs of hunger were eating away at me, but I would not relent. My father, the Duke, always said I had a stubborn streak.

Time passed. The morning was well on. I began to wonder what was causing the delay? I had clearly heard the Sehzade declare the night before that we would be executed at dawn.

"I've an idea, milady," Mary said, setting aside the food and breaking her silence. "T'was thinking, you being a Lady an' all, and yer father, the Duke, bein' all high an' mighty with the posh folk an' even their majesties. All we needs ta do is get word out that the Turks intend ta execute you. They won't stand for that back home now, will they? Somethin'll be done, right quick, ta save us!"

"This is why you are only a maid, Mary!" I shouted at her, reproachfully. "They are executing us THIS morning, not next week or next month. Or did you forget? How, pray tell, did you expect to get word to anyone in time, and who exactly were you hoping to get word to?"

"Sorry, milady ... weren't thinking properly, yesterday's torture an' all," she allowed, bowing her head and looking rather deflated.

This dialogue of Lady Barb and maid Mary. I spot a far cry of a good old Blackadder-Baldrick dialogue.;)

Somewhere behind me I heard Sehzade proclaiming heatedly, “Enough! Beshir Agha! Issue a proclamation at once! The conniving pirate and his English Lady whore shall be executed at dawn tomorrow ... and the idiot maid too. And let it be known that no one who threatens me is safe! Bring me their heads!”
You know, I blame Karim for this. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I understand the Sehzade's position -he's in constant peril from assassins, but Karim can't leave things alone.

Got to feel sorry for Barb and her maid though - dying alongside the cause of all their problems.:(:doh:

Great set up! Barb is down. Sold. Degraded. Finds an accommodation and a chance at a new life. And then the world crashes down again. It's a beautiful tragedy, filled with passion. :very_hot::attention::clapping:

I understand the Sehzade's position -he's in constant peril from assassins, but Karim can't leave things alone.

Got to feel sorry for Barb and her maid though - dying alongside the cause of all their problems.:(:doh:

Great set up! Barb is down. Sold. Degraded. Finds an accommodation and a chance at a new life. And then the world crashes down again. It's a beautiful tragedy, filled with passion. :very_hot::attention::clapping:
He waits patiently for the sword to swing....

Sure blame the little guy and let the big fish go. :rolleyes:
I'm holding my breath. The tension is killing me.;):cool:
There's room up there for you on the platform:devil:. We can find another pole...
Great set up! Barb is down. Sold. Degraded. Finds an accommodation and a chance at a new life. And then the world crashes down again. It's a beautiful tragedy, filled with passion.
Barb, what happened; I thought this was supposed to be a comedy:doh::eek:

25. Diary of Kemal Agha, Captain of the Palace Janissaries. Rabi Al-Awwal 24, 1218

I passed a most delightful remainder of the evening with Olga, doubtless more pleasant than that passed by the two English sluts and my French whore in their cell with barely room to breathe. Though perhaps those decadent infidels amused themselves with some disgusting perversions, may Allah forgive me for even mentioning such things.

As dawn was breaking, one of my men roused me from my pleasant post-coital dreams. The pirate Karim had been arrested on his ship and was being taken to the dungeon. “Business before pleasure,” I muttered, dressing and making my way down the stone stairway to the dungeon.

As I arrived, I saw the Moroccan being dragged in by three of my strongest men, his wrists chained together behind him. He looked dazed-after all he was accustomed to being the one taking others prisoner, not to being taken prisoner himself.

I glared at him. “What kind of nonsense is this, Assaraf?” I demanded, “Trying to kill the Sehzade.”

“Kill the Sehzade?” he asked, looking puzzled.

“Yes, we found the poison. Did you really think we wouldn’t search your whore’s cunt? Do you take us for idiots, we Ottomans who rule half the world?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, not very convincingly.

“Fine,” I replied. “We’ll see how long you keep to that stupid story when you are drowning, gasping for air on the wheel.” He looked over at the terrible apparatus and a look of real fear passed over his face. It was well known that sailors generally couldn’t swim and were quite afraid of water unless they were looking at it from the deck of a ship. “Put him on it!” I ordered.

My men undid the shackles that held the pirate’s wrists and handed him over to the eunuchs. He struggled as they began stripping him, but he was quickly overpowered and soon stood naked. I supposed he was good-looking enough, though I couldn’t quite understand what these women saw in him.

The eunuchs, assisted by my men, manhandled him over to the wheel and chained him to its heavy wooden rim, facing outward. He looked down at the water-filled trough, his nose wrinkling at the awful smell. I was some distance away and the fumes were making me ill-oh, the sacrifices we make in our service to the Sublime Porte-so I imagined how unpleasant it would be to sample it at close proximity.

I was about to order him dunked into the foul soup when the Sehzade arrived, accompanied by the Black Eunuch. “I see you have the pirate secured, Kemal,” the Sehzade said.

“At your service, Your Highness,” I replied, bowing.

“Perhaps, those whores should watch their hero reduced to a sniveling little boy,” he suggested.

“Excellent idea, Your Highness,” I said. “Fetch the infidel sluts!” I ordered. My men scurried to bring them, returning very shortly, shoving the three naked and very frightened looking women none too gently down the stairs.

I thought it might be entertaining to watch the pirate and the Lady enjoying a little swim together, so I ordered Barbara chained to the wheel face to face with Karim. I had the other two stretched on the rack so they could enjoy the show.

It seemed all was not well between our two lovebirds, because Barbara was berating Karim, blaming him for this mess, as well she might. Finally, I tired of listening to this lover’s spat and ordered them dunked.

Straining, the eunuchs turned the wheel, the two naked bodies slowly descending until they were fully submerged. The two prisoners struggled mightily, wriggling madly in a vain attempt to bring their heads above the water, their lust now for air, not each other. Finally, I signaled enough and the eunuchs turned the wheel bringing them above the waterline.

Being nearly drowned was not enough to break the will of the brigand, who denied any role for his paramour and claimed it was only a sleeping potion, not poison. Of course, I knew better and thought a little demonstration for the Sehzade might be appropriate. “If it’s just a sleeping potion, let the French girl try it. She looks like she didn’t sleep well last night and could use a nap,” I told one of the eunuchs. He took the vial and forced the contents into Marie’s mouth, holding her jaw closed so she was forced to swallow, as she had swallowed my essence so many times.

Within a moment, Marie was foaming at the mouth and within another moment she was dead. I was not saddened by her death-there were plenty more where she came from. But the demonstration had its effect on the Sehzade. He indulged me by allowing me to dunk the pirate and the Lady two more times, then called a halt to the proceedings and ordered Assaraf and the two English whores to be executed at dawn of the next day. They were taken off to a cell to await their fate.

I took the Sehzade aside. “Surely, Your Highness, you want to witness the execution of these insolent dogs yourself.”

He smiled. “Of course, I do Kemal. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Knowing Your Highness’s distaste for rising early, might I suggest we do the execution at noon instead of dawn, then?” I proposed, calculating that would give me time to speak with the Sultan.

“I see your point, Kemal,” the Sehzade replied, “Noon it is. Let the pirate and his whores sweat under the midday sun. I shouldn’t have to get up early for such trash.”

Taking my leave of the Sehzade, I went to see the Sultan’s private secretary. He told me that the Sultan was engaged (which I was fairly confident meant enjoying himself in the seraglio) but I was able to arrange an audience for the next morning. Happy, I retired to my quarters. While I hadn’t succeeded in killing the Sehzade, I thought there was a good chance that I could use this whole affair to diminish his standing with his brother.

The next morning, after being forced to wait for some time in the antechamber as the sun proceeded on its upward arc towards the fatal hour, I was finally ushered into the royal presence. “Your Majesty”, I breathed, bowing deeply and kissing his ring. “Your humble servant is distressed that he must inform you of a delicate situation involving your brother.”

The Sultan looked displeased. “What is it now Kemal?”

“There is trouble with Barbara, the harem girl your brother purchased recently, Sire.”

“You know, Kemal, I try to stay out of the Sehzade’s intimate affairs. I don’t like that he wastes his life and the family money always buying new pleasure slaves for his harem, but I am sure he will tire of this one like he has with the others.”

“Normally, Your Majesty, leaving your brother to his amusements is a very wise policy, but this girl is special,” I told him.

“Special? Yes, she is pretty and I hear she is very talented in bed, but so were the others he has bought in the past,” the Sultan replied. He looked a bit jealous of his brother.

“I have heard the same, Your Majesty,” I said, “But that is not what I am referring to in this case. Permit me to show you this report from one of our agents in London.” I extracted the letter from my pocket and directed his attention to a section near the bottom of the page. He read it slowly.

“So, Kemal, this Lord Moore, Duke of Cruxton, is a friend of the Prime Minister and may be appointed Foreign Minister. I’m happy for him, but what does that have to do with my brother?”

“Well, Your Majesty, this Cruxton happens to be the father of the pleasure slave Barbara that your brother has been disporting himself with.”

He looked interested now. “How did the daughter of this English Duke come to be in my brother’s harem?”

I took a deep breath before replying. “It’s a long story, Sire, but essentially she was doing a Grand Tour and her ship was attacked by Barbary pirates and she was taken captive. She ended up sold to a Turk in Tripoli who brought her here and sold her to your brother. At a fat profit of course.”

“No doubt. My brother loses any sense of the value of money when he gets a hard on. I don’t want trouble with the English. We are trying to work with them against this Napoleon who threatens us all, and I won’t risk that alliance because of my brother’s inability to control his passions. Set her free.”

“I would immediately, Your Majesty, except there was a silly plot involving her and her maid and the pirate who captured them. All three have been tortured in the dungeon and are awaiting execution at noon by order of your brother.”

The Sultan looked angry. “I am the Sultan and I am ordering her freed. Turn her over to the British Ambassador. And the maid too, since she is British also. The pirate can be disposed of.”

“If I may, Your Majesty, why involve official channels? The mere fact that we arrested and tortured the daughter of an English Duke could create trouble even if we don’t execute her. The pirate is here with his ship. Why not simply hand her and the maid back to him and have him take them back to Tripoli? I’m sure he will agree to that if we spare his life. He can sell her again in Tripoli and she will disappear into the wilds of Africa and never be seen again. If the British ever ask, we will say we don’t know what they are talking about and deny she was ever here.

“I like the way you think, Kemal. I will order it thus. If my brother doesn’t like it, that is too bad for him.”

I had the pardon already written, awaiting only the royal seal, which he affixed. I bowed deeply and hurried out of the room to grab a squad of my best men. We mounted our horses and rode like the wind to the square in front of Hagia Sophia, where the Sehzade was going to have the execution performed. I said a silent prayer to Allah that their heads would still be on their bodies when we arrived.

25. Diary of Kemal Agha, Captain of the Palace Janissaries. Rabi Al-Awwal 24, 1218

I passed a most delightful remainder of the evening with Olga, doubtless more pleasant than that passed by the two English sluts and my French whore in their cell with barely room to breathe. Though perhaps those decadent infidels amused themselves with some disgusting perversions, may Allah forgive me for even mentioning such things.

As dawn was breaking, one of my men roused me from my pleasant post-coital dreams. The pirate Karim had been arrested on his ship and was being taken to the dungeon. “Business before pleasure,” I muttered, dressing and making my way down the stone stairway to the dungeon.

As I arrived, I saw the Moroccan being dragged in by three of my strongest men, his wrists chained together behind him. He looked dazed-after all he was accustomed to being the one taking others prisoner, not to being taken prisoner himself.

I glared at him. “What kind of nonsense is this, Assaraf?” I demanded, “Trying to kill the Sehzade.”

“Kill the Sehzade?” he asked, looking puzzled.

“Yes, we found the poison. Did you really think we wouldn’t search your whore’s cunt? Do you take us for idiots, we Ottomans who rule half the world?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, not very convincingly.

“Fine,” I replied. “We’ll see how long you keep to that stupid story when you are drowning, gasping for air on the wheel.” He looked over at the terrible apparatus and a look of real fear passed over his face. It was well known that sailors generally couldn’t swim and were quite afraid of water unless they were looking at it from the deck of a ship. “Put him on it!” I ordered.

My men undid the shackles that held the pirate’s wrists and handed him over to the eunuchs. He struggled as they began stripping him, but he was quickly overpowered and soon stood naked. I supposed he was good-looking enough, though I couldn’t quite understand what these women saw in him.

The eunuchs, assisted by my men, manhandled him over to the wheel and chained him to its heavy wooden rim, facing outward. He looked down at the water-filled trough, his nose wrinkling at the awful smell. I was some distance away and the fumes were making me ill-oh, the sacrifices we make in our service to the Sublime Porte-so I imagined how unpleasant it would be to sample it at close proximity.

I was about to order him dunked into the foul soup when the Sehzade arrived, accompanied by the Black Eunuch. “I see you have the pirate secured, Kemal,” the Sehzade said.

“At your service, Your Highness,” I replied, bowing.

“Perhaps, those whores should watch their hero reduced to a sniveling little boy,” he suggested.

“Excellent idea, Your Highness,” I said. “Fetch the infidel sluts!” I ordered. My men scurried to bring them, returning very shortly, shoving the three naked and very frightened looking women none too gently down the stairs.

I thought it might be entertaining to watch the pirate and the Lady enjoying a little swim together, so I ordered Barbara chained to the wheel face to face with Karim. I had the other two stretched on the rack so they could enjoy the show.

It seemed all was not well between our two lovebirds, because Barbara was berating Karim, blaming him for this mess, as well she might. Finally, I tired of listening to this lover’s spat and ordered them dunked.

Straining, the eunuchs turned the wheel, the two naked bodies slowly descending until they were fully submerged. The two prisoners struggled mightily, wriggling madly in a vain attempt to bring their heads above the water, their lust now for air, not each other. Finally, I signaled enough and the eunuchs turned the wheel bringing them above the waterline.

Being nearly drowned was not enough to break the will of the brigand, who denied any role for his paramour and claimed it was only a sleeping potion, not poison. Of course, I knew better and thought a little demonstration for the Sehzade might be appropriate. “If it’s just a sleeping potion, let the French girl try it. She looks like she didn’t sleep well last night and could use a nap,” I told one of the eunuchs. He took the vial and forced the contents into Marie’s mouth, holding her jaw closed so she was forced to swallow, as she had swallowed my essence so many times.

Within a moment, Marie was foaming at the mouth and within another moment she was dead. I was not saddened by her death-there were plenty more where she came from. But the demonstration had its effect on the Sehzade. He indulged me by allowing me to dunk the pirate and the Lady two more times, then called a halt to the proceedings and ordered Assaraf and the two English whores to be executed at dawn of the next day. They were taken off to a cell to await their fate.

I took the Sehzade aside. “Surely, Your Highness, you want to witness the execution of these insolent dogs yourself.”

He smiled. “Of course, I do Kemal. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Knowing Your Highness’s distaste for rising early, might I suggest we do the execution at noon instead of dawn, then?” I proposed, calculating that would give me time to speak with the Sultan.

“I see your point, Kemal,” the Sehzade replied, “Noon it is. Let the pirate and his whores sweat under the midday sun. I shouldn’t have to get up early for such trash.”

Taking my leave of the Sehzade, I went to see the Sultan’s private secretary. He told me that the Sultan was engaged (which I was fairly confident meant enjoying himself in the seraglio) but I was able to arrange an audience for the next morning. Happy, I retired to my quarters. While I hadn’t succeeded in killing the Sehzade, I thought there was a good chance that I could use this whole affair to diminish his standing with his brother.

The next morning, after being forced to wait for some time in the antechamber as the sun proceeded on its upward arc towards the fatal hour, I was finally ushered into the royal presence. “Your Majesty”, I breathed, bowing deeply and kissing his ring. “Your humble servant is distressed that he must inform you of a delicate situation involving your brother.”

The Sultan looked displeased. “What is it now Kemal?”

“There is trouble with Barbara, the harem girl your brother purchased recently, Sire.”

“You know, Kemal, I try to stay out of the Sehzade’s intimate affairs. I don’t like that he wastes his life and the family money always buying new pleasure slaves for his harem, but I am sure he will tire of this one like he has with the others.”

“Normally, Your Majesty, leaving your brother to his amusements is a very wise policy, but this girl is special,” I told him.

“Special? Yes, she is pretty and I hear she is very talented in bed, but so were the others he has bought in the past,” the Sultan replied. He looked a bit jealous of his brother.

“I have heard the same, Your Majesty,” I said, “But that is not what I am referring to in this case. Permit me to show you this report from one of our agents in London.” I extracted the letter from my pocket and directed his attention to a section near the bottom of the page. He read it slowly.

“So, Kemal, this Lord Cruxton is a friend of the Prime Minister and may be appointed Foreign Minister. I’m happy for him, but what does that have to do with my brother?”

“Well, Your Majesty, this Cruxton happens to be the father of the pleasure slave Barbara that your brother has been disporting himself with.”

He looked interested now. “How did the daughter of this English Duke come to be in my brother’s harem?”

I took a deep breath before replying. “It’s a long story, Sire, but essentially she was doing a Grand Tour and her ship was attacked by Barbary pirates and she was taken captive. She ended up sold to a Turk in Tripoli who brought her here and sold her to your brother. At a fat profit of course.”

“No doubt. My brother loses any sense of the value of money when he gets a hard on. I don’t want trouble with the English. We are trying to work with them against this Napoleon who threatens us all, and I won’t risk that alliance because of my brother’s inability to control his passions. Set her free.”

“I would immediately, Your Majesty, except there was a silly plot involving her and her maid and the pirate who captured them. All three have been tortured in the dungeon and are awaiting execution at noon by order of your brother.”

The Sultan looked angry. “I am the Sultan and I am ordering her freed. Turn her over to the British Ambassador. And the maid too, since she is British also. The pirate can be disposed of.”

“If I may, Your Majesty, why involve official channels? The mere fact that we arrested and tortured the daughter of an English Duke could create trouble even if we don’t execute her. The pirate is here with his ship. Why not simply hand her and the maid back to him and have him take them back to Tripoli? I’m sure he will agree to that if we spare his life. He can sell her again in Tripoli and she will disappear into the wilds of Africa and never be seen again. If the British ever ask, we will say we don’t know what they are talking about and deny she was ever here.

“I like the way you think, Kemal. I will order it thus. If my brother doesn’t like it, that is too bad for him.”

I had the pardon already written, awaiting only the royal seal, which he affixed. I bowed deeply and hurried out of the room to grab a squad of my best men. We mounted our horses and rode like the wind to the square in front of Hagia Sophia, where the Sehzade was going to have the execution performed. I said a silent prayer to Allah that their heads would still be on their bodies when we arrived.
I said a silent prayer to Allah that their heads would still be on their bodies when we arrived.

692BAD90-93A4-4A67-A7E6-A61CC5D880C6.jpeg Hurry, will ya! Things are coming to a head here!

While I hadn’t succeeded in killing the Sehzade, I thought there was a good chance that I could use this whole affair to diminish his standing with his brother.
Conniving bastard! So what's in it for Kemal? So hard to get guard captains with integrity these days.:mad::eek::rolleyes:
The mere fact that we arrested and tortured the daughter of an English Duke could create trouble even if we don’t execute her.
The man has a point, as much as I dislike him.:mad::doh:

The pirate is here with his ship. Why not simply hand her and the maid back to him and have him take them back to Tripoli? I’m sure he will agree to that if we spare his life. He can sell her again in Tripoli and she will disappear into the wilds of Africa and never be seen again.
The Moroccans might not be as mighty as the Ottomans, but life in a moorish palace might not be so bad.:confused::cool: Barb needs to hope she's not sold to a Tuareg nomad.:eek:

All aboard the Marrakech Express. :p:D

Now, if everyone can just keep their heads.:doh::popcorn:

Conniving bastard! So what's in it for Kemal? So hard to get guard captains with integrity these days.:mad::eek::rolleyes:

The Moroccans might not be as mighty as the Ottomans, but life in a moorish palace might not be so bad.:confused::cool: Barb needs to hope she's not sold to a Tuareg nomad.:eek:

This is a total travesty of justice even for this era...

Are you cutting her head off or not???

I think Jolly just said I could keep mine!

That whole 'head' thing gets sensitive... Was Lady Barbara forced to do this or had been well versed at it before the raid???
head 040.jpg

Back
Top Bottom