Berlin Diary

Go to CruxDreams.com
Great Siss! It's joke Latin, extensively used by the Beatles and Harry Nilsson - and Monty Python in 'The Life of Brian':-

PILATE: Now, Jewish wapscallion.

BRIAN: I'm not Jewish. I'm a Roman.

PILATE: A Woman?

BRIAN: No, no. Roman.

slap

Aah!

PILATE: So, your father was a Woman. Who was he?

BRIAN: He was a centurion in the Jerusalem Garrisons.

PILATE: Weally? What was his name?

BRIAN: 'Nortius Maximus'.

CENTURION: Ahh, ha ha!

PILATE: Centuwion, do we have anyone of that name in the gawwison?

CENTURION: Well, no, sir.

PILATE: Well, you sound vewy sure. Have you checked?

CENTURION: Well, no, sir. Umm, I think it's a joke, sir,... like, uh, 'Sillius Soddus' or... 'Biggus Dickus', sir.

GUARD #4: chuckling

PILATE: What's so... funny about 'Biggus Dickus'?

CENTURION: Well, it's a joke name, sir.

PILATE: I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome called 'Biggus Dickus'.

GUARD #4: chuckling

PILATE: Silence! What is all this insolence? You will find yourself in gladiator school vewy quickly with wotten behavior like that.
Ah, the pure joy of Monty Python! :)

The end of yet another adventure of the heroine Barbara Moore.

Another great story written by Barbaria.

Congratulations on this story, Barbaria.

If you remember I posted in this story two sets of pictures, from Berlin in 1936.

Http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/berlin-diary.5726/page-11

# 217 and # 218.

These photos have a real story, which has some thing in common with Barbara Moore.

About 7 years ago I received an email from a friend, which contained some pictures of Nazi Germany, (these photos were in the slide format that opens automatically and with musical background).

I could not post these photos in the original format. A friend taught me how to transform into jpeg, so now I'm going to post all the photos in the sequence I received.

Part - 01

001.jpg

002.jpg The photos were taken by a Life Magazine photographer between 1939 and 1940 in Berlin and were missing for more than 50 years, as this American photographer disappeared early in the conflict along with his Rolleiflex camera and these original slides At the time for reproduction in magazines) mostly 6 x 9 inches (see the details of the original frames of the cards). "These cards were found by a German nurse at a Berlin hospital who kept them all these years. After his death, his daughter found them and returned them to the current American publisher who has the rights to the Life Magazine brand, which is no longer published since the early 1970s.? Interestingly, the Beetle in 1939, a fantastic technological breakthrough at the time.

003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Top-Cat

If you remember I posted in this story two sets of pictures, from Berlin in 1936.

# 217 and # 218.

These photos have a real story, which has some thing in common with Barbara Moore.

About 7 years ago I received an email from a friend, which contained some pictures of Nazi Germany, (these photos were in the slide format that opens automatically and with musical background).

I could not post these photos in the original format. A friend taught me how to transform into jpeg, so now I'm going to post all the photos in the sequence I received.

Part - 01

View attachment 440791

View attachment 440792 The photos were taken by a Life Magazine photographer between 1939 and 1940 in Berlin and were missing for more than 50 years, as this American photographer disappeared early in the conflict along with his Rolleiflex camera and these original slides At the time for reproduction in magazines) mostly 6 x 9 inches (see the details of the original frames of the cards). "These cards were found by a German nurse at a Berlin hospital who kept them all these years. After his death, his daughter found them and returned them to the current American publisher who has the rights to the Life Magazine brand, which is no longer published since the early 1970s.? Interestingly, the Beetle in 1939, a fantastic technological breakthrough at the time.

View attachment 440793 View attachment 440794 View attachment 440795 View attachment 440796 View attachment 440797 View attachment 440798 View attachment 440799 View attachment 440800

Top-Cat

A great addition to the thread T-C !! Thanks so much for posting your photos here. :)

# 217 and # 218.

Part - 01

View attachment 440791

View attachment 440792 The photos were taken by a Life Magazine photographer between 1939 and 1940 in Berlin and were missing for more than 50 years, as this American photographer disappeared early in the conflict along with his Rolleiflex camera and these original slides At the time for reproduction in magazines) mostly 6 x 9 inches (see the details of the original frames of the cards). "These cards were found by a German nurse at a Berlin hospital who kept them all these years. After his death, his daughter found them and returned them to the current American publisher who has the rights to the Life Magazine brand, which is no longer published since the early 1970s.? Interestingly, the Beetle in 1939, a fantastic technological breakthrough at the time.

View attachment 440793 View attachment 440794 View attachment 440795 View attachment 440796 View attachment 440797 View attachment 440798 View attachment 440799 View attachment 440800

Top-Cat
Wow TC, you always find the most fascinating pictures! These are amazing!

Very true, and the VW car was so employed by the Wehrmacht. But I think it is close to TC's affections because the last VW Beetles were built in Brazil? He probably owns one?

Bobinder

Yes, you are right, VW and "Fusca", this is how it was known in Brazil, it has been part of Brazilian life since the 1950s.

It is very difficult for someone over the age of thirty, not to have a story about a "Fusca".

Until the 90s, every Brazilian learned to drive in a "Fusca", the first car of a worker, was a "Fusca", in the 70s the cars of the police were the "Fusca".

He honored with many merits the title of "Popular Car".

I'm not sure if the last "Fusca" were made in Brazil or Mexico.

And yes, I had a "Fusca", it was not my first car, but I did.

001.jpg 60's 002.jpg 80's 003.jpg 50's or 60's

Top-Cat

Bobinder

Yes, you are right, VW and "Fusca", this is how it was known in Brazil, it has been part of Brazilian life since the 1950s.

It is very difficult for someone over the age of thirty, not to have a story about a "Fusca".

Until the 90s, every Brazilian learned to drive in a "Fusca", the first car of a worker, was a "Fusca", in the 70s the cars of the police were the "Fusca".

He honored with many merits the title of "Popular Car".

I'm not sure if the last "Fusca" were made in Brazil or Mexico.

And yes, I had a "Fusca", it was not my first car, but I did.

View attachment 440938 60's View attachment 440939 80's View attachment 440940 50's or 60's

Top-Cat
It is truly an enduring and endearing motor car! Thank you for this reply.

Encore tu as raison, Messa! When I think of the lovely Citroen Onze and Quinze Legere, I am reminded how fond the Gestapo were of them too! :(
The Germans also loved the Czech Tatra. Hitler told Porsche: "This is the car for my roads". It's obvious Porsche copied the Tatra's in designing the Volkswagen, especially the concept of a rear-mounted, air cooled engine. Tatra filed suit, but the German take over of Czechoslovakia in 1938 put an end to that. VW finally settled out of court in 1965 for a reported one million Deutschmarks. During the war, Tatra's were popular with the German military and Nazi officials; Erwin Rommel and Ernst Heinkel each owned one.
Tatra resumed production under the Communist in post war Czechoslovakia. They became status symbols for Party elites throughout the Warsaw Pact. Even the Russian bigwigs preferred them to the native built GAZ models.
tt1.jpg T77_Advertising-2.jpg tatraT97side.jpg tumblr_inline_nacfvlzgX91sl5p31.jpg

The Germans also loved the Czech Tatra. Hitler told Porsche: "This is the car for my roads". It's obvious Porsche copied the Tatra's in designing the Volkswagen, especially the concept of a rear-mounted, air cooled engine. Tatra filed suit, but the German take over of Czechoslovakia in 1938 put an end to that. VW finally settled out of court in 1965 for a reported one million Deutschmarks. During the war, Tatra's were popular with the German military and Nazi officials; Erwin Rommel and Ernst Heinkel each owned one.
Tatra resumed production under the Communist in post war Czechoslovakia. They became status symbols for Party elites throughout the Warsaw Pact. Even the Russian bigwigs preferred them to the native built GAZ models.
View attachment 441007 View attachment 441008 View attachment 441009 View attachment 441010
Very true - the large Tatras were (and are) exotic cars and very desirable. The impact of Germany on Czechoslovakia's motoring public went even further, since they forced a change to driving on the right and new vehicles had to be constructed as left-hand drives!

It's general since that the human-body is appeared on this hearth !!!:(
finding a human body on the hearth :eek:
sounds like the start of another story! :p
(sorry Messaline, your English is always lovely :))

Back
Top Bottom