Berlin Diary

Go to CruxDreams.com
I could identify a few.
Series 1, #6, #7, #10
Series 2, #1, #2, #5
Series 3, #1, #2, #7
Are taken during one of the yearly NSDAP rallies (Reichsparteitage) in Nürnberg.

Series 6, #1 the warship in the background is the ‘Deutschland’, one of the Kriegsmarine’s ‘pocket battleships’ (actually heavy cruisers) and sister ship of the ‘Admiral Graf Spee’. At the outbreak of the war, her name was changed in ‘Lützow’, since Hitler did not want to take the risk of a ship named ‘Deutschland’ being sunk.

Series 2, #8 : Hitler in Mussolini in Santa Marinella, Italy, during military maneuvers.

Series 4, #10 :Hitler watching a military parade in Warsaw, after the conquest of the city (5 october 1939).

Series 4, #9 and Series 5, #4 : Hitler following army maneuvers in Sankt Poelten (1939)

Series 2; #3 : The ‘Reichserntedankefest’ (Reichs Thanksgiving Celebration), in a place named Buckeberg.

Bobinder

Yes, you are right, VW and "Fusca", this is how it was known in Brazil, it has been part of Brazilian life since the 1950s.

It is very difficult for someone over the age of thirty, not to have a story about a "Fusca".

Until the 90s, every Brazilian learned to drive in a "Fusca", the first car of a worker, was a "Fusca", in the 70s the cars of the police were the "Fusca".

He honored with many merits the title of "Popular Car".

I'm not sure if the last "Fusca" were made in Brazil or Mexico.

And yes, I had a "Fusca", it was not my first car, but I did.

View attachment 440938 60's View attachment 440939 80's View attachment 440940 50's or 60's

Top-Cat
I had 2 VW Beetles. The little things were built like tanks for as light as they were. On our interstate highways they were a bit of slugs... Unless it snowed!!!:devil::devil::devil:

Pure rocket ships then!!!!

At the beginning of the war, Ferdinand Porsche was asked to design a utility vehicle for the Wehrmacht. The result was the Kubelwagen (bucket car). It used the same solid chassis/underbody and air-cooled engine as the VW with a lighter body. The air-cooled engine meant it function equally well in all conditions, from the dessert of North Africa to the Russian winter. It also meant there was no radiator to get punctured by bullets or debris. Despite being rear wheel drive only, it performed as well or better than the US Army Jeep; due to a self-locking differential, low center of gravity, solid underbody and light weight.
i229648.jpg VW_Kubelwagen_Type_82_(1943)_(owner_Claude_Thill).JPG f60348ed9db615d4254a22a6487aaf00.jpg id_kubelwagen_700_02.jpg becb600e88670037e7c7a33939c7f4f4.jpg 845da1e1045861d2a8a005e8659d3db7.jpg f3f8034257b46ff13a5982dba87b97f6.jpg

Re-introduced as the VW Thing in the US many years later.

Does anyone but me find it ironic that many of the mandated 'safety features' on cars today carry warning signs that they can maim or kill you (or in California might cause cancer)???

Does anyone but me find it ironic that many of the mandated 'safety features' on cars today carry warning signs that they can maim or kill you (or in California might cause cancer)???
The Thing (Trekker in the UK, Safari in Mexico, Camat in Indonesia, Type 181 or 182 elsewhere) wasn't exactly a kubelwagen, but pretty close. It was built originally to serve as military vehicle for NATO forces and did so through the 80s. The civilian version was canceled in the US in 1975 because it was impossible to get it to meet new safety standards. It remained on sale elsewhere until 1980.

The Thing (Trekker in the UK, Safari in Mexico, Camat in Indonesia, Type 181 or 182 elsewhere) wasn't exactly a kubelwagen, but pretty close. It was built originally to serve as military vehicle for NATO forces and did so through the 80s. The civilian version was canceled in the US in 1975 because it was impossible to get it to meet new safety standards. It remained on sale elsewhere until 1980.
We have 5 mph bumpers thrown at us that cost more than car to replace in a 6mph hit, airbags that might go off and then again might not and might go off when they shouldn't, and now lane warning alerts if you are talking on your damn cellphone.

When does personal responsibility get into the equation???

Of course, EARTH !
I do my possible but sometimes, I'm wrong especially concerning these two words : earth / hearth:D

I could identify a few.
Series 1, #6, #7, #10
Series 2, #1, #2, #5
Series 3, #1, #2, #7
Are taken during one of the yearly NSDAP rallies (Reichsparteitage) in Nürnberg
Series 6, #1 the warship in the background is the ‘Deutschland’, one of the Kriegsmarine’s ‘pocket battleships’ (actually heavy cruisers) and sister ship of the ‘Admiral Graf Spee’. At the outbreak of the war, her name was changed in ‘Lützow’, since Hitler did not want to take the risk of a ship named ‘Deutschland’ being sunk
Series 2, #8 : Hitler in Mussolini in Santa Marinella, Italy, during military maneuvers.
Series 4, #10 :Hitler watching a military parade in Warsaw, after the conquest of the city (5 october 1939)
Series 4, #9 and Series 5, #4 : Hitler following army maneuvers in Sankt Poelten (1939)
Series 2; #3 : The ‘Reichserntedankefest’ (Reichs Thanksgiving Celebration), in a place named Buckeberg.

A few years later... one outcome of all that madness...

18146-little-caprice-1366x768-girl-wallpaper.jpg Quite pleased to see that my "Berlin Diary" thread lives on as a lively discussion of the time and place (and it's vehicles:rolleyes:). Never would have guessed that this might happen. Love it! Keep it going folks. This is not only fascinating but quite educational :)

It looks remarkably grim. The sound is on, but nobody seems to be talking at all. It's all surrealistic in its silence. People walking around in a dystopia of destruction. So much of a contrast to the feeling during the Olympics, when Hitler was still trying to look the part of a world statesman (footage from Leni Riefenstahl's film "Olympia"):

Quite pleased to see that my "Berlin Diary" thread lives on as a lively discussion of the time and place (and it's vehicles:rolleyes:). Never would have guessed that this might happen. Love it! Keep it going folks. This is not only fascinating but quite educational :)

And how Angela and the Savages has turned into a discussion of male vs. female dominance and male crux.

Just like a conversation in the pub: you start talking about Brexit, and the conversation quickly turns to whether the tits on that girl are real or not.

A truly awe inspiring record of a nation recovering from catastrophe. Well worth viewing - thank you for posting Malins.

I could identify a few.
Series 1, #6, #7, #10
Series 2, #1, #2, #5
Series 3, #1, #2, #7
Are taken during one of the yearly NSDAP rallies (Reichsparteitage) in Nürnberg.

Series 6, #1 the warship in the background is the ‘Deutschland’, one of the Kriegsmarine’s ‘pocket battleships’ (actually heavy cruisers) and sister ship of the ‘Admiral Graf Spee’. At the outbreak of the war, her name was changed in ‘Lützow’, since Hitler did not want to take the risk of a ship named ‘Deutschland’ being sunk.

Series 4, #10 :Hitler watching a military parade in Warsaw, after the conquest of the city (5 october 1939).

Loxuru

Congratulations on the additional information. :beer:

CruxForums is also culture. :cool: :p :devil:

Top-Cat

We have 5 mph bumpers thrown at us that cost more than car to replace in a 6mph hit, airbags that might go off and then again might not and might go off when they shouldn't, and now lane warning alerts if you are talking on your damn cellphone.

When does personal responsibility get into the equation???
The one safety feature that really would encourage safe driving,
but will never be installed,
would be a sharp spike protruding from the centre of the steering wheel
aiming straight at the driver's chest ;) :eek: :devil:
(oh, and drivers would be banned from wearing safety belts ;))

You need no spike for that. It suffices to reintroduce the pre-1970 technology of rigid steering columns and wearing no safety belts. On a crash, the driver risked to get impaled on the steering column. It did not make people drive safer.

You need no spike for that. It suffices to reintroduce the pre-1970 technology of rigid steering columns and wearing no safety belts. On a crash, the driver risked to get impaled on the steering column. It did not make people drive safer.
In the US (unlike Europe) the damn cars are so idiot-proofed that the airbags must protect the driver and front passenger even if they aren't wearing seatbelts and in many states will illegal to text -and-drive or use a cellphone when driving it is legal to use a phone's GPS for directions:doh:!!!

A peaceful day in Berlin in 1945 with soldiers of the Red Army behaving like tourists, being photographed at the Siegessäule (Victory Column) in the Großer Stern intersection. Surmounted by a golden winged Victory, this monument to Prussian victories of the nineteenth century was nicknamed 'The Tall Woman' by the Soviet troops. But to Berliners, she is 'Goldelse'.

berlin-1945.jpg berlin-1945 Berlin_-_Siegessäule_Spitze.jpg

A peaceful day in Berlin in 1945 with soldiers of the Red Army behaving like tourists, being photographed at the Siegessäule (Victory Column) in the Großer Stern intersection. Surmounted by a golden winged Victory, this monument to Prussian victories of the nineteenth century was nicknamed 'The Tall Woman' by the Soviet troops. But to Berliners, she is 'Goldelse'.

View attachment 445355 View attachment 445357

You can climb to the top. I've done it. Magnificent view. The column was originally located in front of the Reichstag building, but moved to its present location by the Nazis to enhance the martial grandeur of the city's east-west axis.

Back
Top Bottom