Bondage / Captivity / Interrogation / Torture Scenes in Mainstream Movies

Go to CruxDreams.com
This year ARTE also broadcast the movie "El Clan" (2015) from Argentina based on a real family's story I would not have believed if someone was telling me although I believe a lot of things concerning incredible behaviours of human beings.
In my opinion, this story shows the impossibility to have a normal life in a normal human society if you are committing the worst criminal acts at the same time.
A man who worked together with the Junta in abducting "enemies of the state" was having the idea to use his criminal knowledge even after the end of the dictatorship by going on with kidnapping people for ransom, killing them before the ransom was paid and involving former friends from the Junta and even parts of his family by telling them it is necessary to do all these crimes in order to keep up the standard of living.
Certainly, the problems inside the familiy are increasing more and more, one son wants to leave because he fears the future if being discovered as criminal family, one princess-like daughter who lives in a school internat paid by the ransom wants to know where the cryings in the cellar are coming from and in the end, the fourth victim is a mistake: An elderly woman with links to highest ranks in the normal police which sets all informants under pressure and finally finds out who was behind her kidnapping.
So, one night, the normal criminal police storms the house of the family which has now for the first time to suffer like the victims.
In one scene, the crying innocent daughter is sitting next to the last victim of the father, both victims of human madness.
The mixture of scenes is sometimes "crazy", probably to show how crazy this family's life must have been in reality:
The first male victim is forced to write by his own hands that he is well treated by his kidnappers and where his relatives have to hand over the ransom and at the same time there is a sex scene of the kidnapper's son with his girl-friend, loud music behind and in the following scene the victim is shot and buried in the night - all scenes shown alternating several times with each other in some minutes. During the kidnappings, the criminal father is helping his kids with the homework. Before the end of the movie, this son of the sex scenes beats up his father and tries to commit suicide in the country's biggest court of justice by jumping from the fifth floor in one of the most shocking-surprisingly suicide scenes in movie history without any visible cut: The camera follows the jumping young man up on the ceiling and down to the ground without visible stop.
The movie is ending with texts dealing with the family member's fates but it leaves you somehow with the feeling that you should never really expect justice to be done in this world because the human madness could go on everywhere at any time and only death is ending everything.

El Clan_01.jpgEl Clan_02.jpgEl Clan_05.jpgEl Clan_07.jpgEl Clan_07 A.jpgEl Clan_08.jpgEl Clan_10.jpgEl Clan_12.jpgEl Clan_13.jpgEl Clan_14.jpg

Last edited:
Director's Ralph Nelson's report in "Soldier Blue" (1970) of the true event of the slaughter of 500 Cheyenne people (among them women and children) at Sand Creek(Colorado) on November 29, 1864 hardly conceals his intent of apologue of Vietnam's war. On the same line and in same year (1970) director Arthur Penn
in his "Little Big Man" contributes to explode the myth of the (white) West putting his main character ( played by Dustin Hoffman) on the side of the Indians without
sparing scenes of massacres of the natives perpetrated by General Custer's cavalry.

When something is one-sided it's propaganda, not information. Perpetuating the myth of the noble savage hides the atrocities commited by natives against the settlers, from rapes, burnings to baby killings or beheadings out of quick moments of anger. Read more if you want to understand a complex historical issue in books like Empire Of The Summer Moon. Simple explanations are for simpletons.

Ahem, we should not possibly start a philosophical discussion about the question if man(kind) is good or bad by birth and if something like a "noble savage" can exist but if someone likes a discussion about it, it should start by knowing this:

In any case, we should also avoid to make a ranking list of the most sophisticated atrocities of mankind because there are so many different of them - seen from different aspects and viewpoints - that there are some different nations in different times who could claim to have committed the worst of all murders of all times.
Where, when and how would we like to start a list of the greatest human mass murder?
By time, numbers and cruelties?
During the middle-ages, the Mongols, Genghis Khan and his successors are leading any ranking, for example there were rich Asian cities at the silk road with a population plus refugees altogether near to 1 Million which were erazed. The sacking of the cities of Urgench and Merv must have been so incredibly cruel that even more than 1.000 miles away in Iran and in Arabia, scholars wrote about the unbelievable cruelty of the Mongol conquerers - even for the Middle-Ages: The Persian scholar Juvayni states that 50,000 Mongol soldiers were given the task of executing twenty-four Urgench citizens each in one day, which would mean that 1.2 million people were killed in one single day.
During the 20th century, where will we set the ranking? The German Nazis had the most sophisticated mass murder by chosing certain members of a religion or race as they believed, separating them even in conquered countries and bringing them "home" into the regions of absolute German power, just to kill more than 6 millions of them.
The communists in the Soviet Union and in China killed much more people of their own nations in each of these countries just because to establish a new kind of pseudo-religion like the "Scientific Marxism-Leninism" and like in the times of Catholic inquisition, the purity of this new "religion" had to be kept clean by killing the doubters who could make people think about like Trotzky who was killed by a Stalinist murderer who was sent to follow him up to his exile in Mexico.

And concerning the Indians, do we set a ranking by time, cruelty or numbers? When Cortés and his Spanish adventurers arrived at the coast of Mexica, the Azteks had regular warfares against enemy cities, after which a lot of the defeated were killed on the altars of the temples by cutting out the heart of the victims.
On the other hand and without any doubt, the Spanish killed also Indians in incredible numbers and the arrival of the Spanish with their illnesses was the end of all Indian high cultures. Probably the bacteries and viruses were much faster than any Spanish sword. For example in 1540, Hernando de Soto followed descriptions of European adventurers, pirates and discoverers of rich Indian cities at the Mississippi-Delta, but only found emptied cities in the south of the USA of today, left probably only 2 years before his arrival and historians of today think that there was a possibly more peaceful Indian society with millions of members at the "Mounds" at the Mississippi - most probably extinguished painfully by European illnesses before the Europeans could really establish their colonies there.

Jared Diamond writes in his book "Guns, Germs and Steel" that the Indian population in America most probably was reduced from once more than 20 million 95 % down in the 200 years after Christopher Columbus' landing in Cuba, mostly by painful European illnesses.

What might the Indians have thought about what illness has killed them and who - if anyone was responsible for their mass dying?

By the way, has there ever been a movie about this woman? :

Maybe not because the Mexicans themselves would not know how to judge her in history: Was she a hero, a traitor, a victim of her time?
I think in opposition to some Mexican nationalists, she never was a traitor because you must be free enough to be one and she probably always was a slave of her time and she made the best of it.
In any case, her life is one of the most incredible stories in human history and a movie about her and Cortés conquering the Aztec empire could only be a very bloody adventure movie which probably no one could really believe.

I watched a few episodes of a Russian/Ukrainian series on Amazon called in English "Love In Chains", in Russian "Krepostnaya." It's set in the 1850's, when Russian serfs were still little more than slaves. Katarina is of peasant stock but is brought up in the household of a noble family and treated by the female head of the household, Katerina's godmother, as somewhat less than a daughter but more than a mere servant. Katerina is highly educated, intelligent, accomplished, and moral, and of course beautiful. But she is a serf, after all, and ultimately subject to the whims of the ruling class. Those whims bite Katerina in the butt throughout the series, but frankly I couldn't watch the melodrama unfold through all twenty-seven episodes of the first season.

The last episode of the first season has a very interesting scene in which Katerina is put up for auction, her godmother having died, by the head of the family she has lived with for all her life. She is purchased for an exorbitant sum by the noblewoman Lidiya, who bears a personal grudge against Katerina, and is intent on vengeance. I surmise that Katerina stole the heart of Alexey, the man Lidiya was in love with, and who later died. But as I said, I didn't watch the whole thing through.

Lidiya has Katerina brought to her luggage cart, and tells her she will walk the fifteen verst to Lidiya's dacha. Barefoot. Turns out a verst is an old Russian unit of distance equivalent to 1.1 km, or approximately 0.68 miles. So poor, pampered Katerina has a 10 mile walk ahead of her. Lidiya has her man tie Katerina to the back of the cart and off they go.

When they arrive at Lidiya's plantation, Lidiya further humiliates Katerina by cutting off Katerina's long braid with a hunting knife. I'll be interested to find out what else Lidiya has in store for Katerina. I would think that the knout applied to Katerina's back would be helpful in assuaging Lidiya's heartache.

love in chains cover.jpg

love in chains15.PNGlove in chains16.PNG Lidiya (Ksenia Mishina) breaks into the auction and abruptly bids 10 thousand rubles for Katerina (Katerina Kovalchyk), an outrageous, exorbitant sum. She's a woman who knows what she wants. And will buy it, regardless of the cost.

love in chains20.PNGlove in chains19.PNGlove in chains21.PNG How would you like to walk a mile in Katerina's shoes? How about ten miles, in no shoes?

love in chains24.PNGlove in chains26.PNGlove in chains27.PNG

love in chains28.PNGAs an added indignity, Lidiya cuts off Katerina's braid.

I watched a few episodes of a Russian/Ukrainian series on Amazon called in English "Love In Chains", in Russian "Krepostnaya." It's set in the 1850's, when Russian serfs were still little more than slaves. Katarina is of peasant stock but is brought up in the household of a noble family and treated by the female head of the household, Katerina's godmother, as somewhat less than a daughter but more than a mere servant. Katerina is highly educated, intelligent, accomplished, and moral, and of course beautiful. But she is a serf, after all, and ultimately subject to the whims of the ruling class. Those whims bite Katerina in the butt throughout the series, but frankly I couldn't watch the melodrama unfold through all twenty-seven episodes of the first season.

The last episode of the first season has a very interesting scene in which Katerina is put up for auction, her godmother having died, by the head of the family she has lived with for all her life. She is purchased for an exorbitant sum by the noblewoman Lidiya, who bears a personal grudge against Katerina, and is intent on vengeance. I surmise that Katerina stole the heart of Alexey, the man Lidiya was in love with, and who later died. But as I said, I didn't watch the whole thing through.

Lidiya has Katerina brought to her luggage cart, and tells her she will walk the fifteen verst to Lidiya's dacha. Barefoot. Turns out a verst is an old Russian unit of distance equivalent to 1.1 km, or approximately 0.68 miles. So poor, pampered Katerina has a 10 mile walk ahead of her. Lidiya has her man tie Katerina to the back of the cart and off they go.

When they arrive at Lidiya's plantation, Lidiya further humiliates Katerina by cutting off Katerina's long braid with a hunting knife. I'll be interested to find out what else Lidiya has in store for Katerina. I would think that the knout applied to Katerina's back would be helpful in assuaging Lidiya's heartache.

View attachment 782586

View attachment 782588View attachment 782589 Lidiya (Ksenia Mishina) breaks into the auction and abruptly bids 10 thousand rubles for Katerina (Katerina Kovalchyk), an outrageous, exorbitant sum. She's a woman who knows what she wants. And will buy it, regardless of the cost.

View attachment 782591View attachment 782590View attachment 782592 How would you like to walk a mile in Katerina's shoes? How about ten miles, in no shoes?

View attachment 782593View attachment 782597View attachment 782598

View attachment 782594As an added indignity, Lidiya cuts off Katerina's braid.

wow. what about a continuation? will katerina have to undress (I hope so)?

You probably want to watch more. It contains female whippings and not only once.
It is a well produced, well acted series. The sets, costumes, and many of the actors (especially Ksenia Mishina, above) are gorgeous, and the series is worth watching for it's entertainment value. I read that it was very popular in the Eastern European countries where it was first broadcast. Perv that I am, I admit I started watching it in the hope of female whippings, but only saw one whipping in the first episode, and that of a dude. I skimmed some other episodes but must have missed paydirt. Doe, do you happen to recall the episodes in which the female whippings occur? Any nudity? Good to know that there are some scenes of female chastisement tucked away. I'll continue watching.

wow. what about a continuation? will katerina have to undress (I hope so)?
I understand that season two is already out. Have no idea when (if) Amazon will get it.

Yeah, I was thinking that Lidiya would have Katerina not just shoeless but topless for the long walk to her plantation, I was disappointed in that hope, but now that they've arrived, surely Lidiya will have Katerina stripped naked and knouted. I mean, what else would a vengeful Russian noblewoman do with a serf who's pissed her off? Certainly anything less would be historically implausible and would risk disappointing not just me, but tens of millions of viewers.

surely Lidiya will have Katerina stripped naked and knouted. I mean, what else would a vengeful Russian noblewoman do with a serf who's pissed her off? Certainly anything less would be historically implausible and would risk disappointing not just me, but tens of millions of viewers.

Yep, I could not but agree. I hope as well that Katerina will be stripped naked, totally naked, and that we can see all of her.

In fact I am afraid in this sort of TV (is it TV?) production this will not be the case. But perhaps can some of our gifted image-makers add such scenes to this post?

View attachment 782586

View attachment 782588View attachment 782589 Lidiya (Ksenia Mishina) breaks into the auction and abruptly bids 10 thousand rubles for Katerina (Katerina Kovalchyk), an outrageous, exorbitant sum. She's a woman who knows what she wants. And will buy it, regardless of the cost.

View attachment 782591View attachment 782590View attachment 782592 How would you like to walk a mile in Katerina's shoes? How about ten miles, in no shoes?

View attachment 782593View attachment 782597View attachment 782598

View attachment 782594As an added indignity, Lidiya cuts off Katerina's braid.

Looks interesting

It’s not really my thing, but it will come as scant surprise to these here present that there’s immense amounts of mainstream movie flogging.

And although she doesn’t belong here, just thought I’d throw her in. :babeando:

Attachments

• 7C7E1686-6971-4BF8-91B3-E662AB832721.png
    7C7E1686-6971-4BF8-91B3-E662AB832721.png
    8 MB · Views: 964
Back
Top Bottom