Briching Table

Go to CruxDreams.com

willowfall

Senator
I just got back from the West Highlands and while we were there we visited the West Highland Museum in Fort William.

One of the rooms in the museum has the last “briching” table known to be used in Scotland (1948?).

It is very interesting. It is about 4 x 3 with holes in the top in which the victims arms were put through and tied on the other side. It has slots in the table apparently for belts to be used to hold the victim in place.

The same room also has in one of the display cases an metal collar that was originally attached to the wall to keep prisoners confined.

Let's just say that my fantasies for the rest of the day were quite …...... erotic.

Kisses

willowfall

Och, I've never seen that! Indeed, birching of boys was only stopped in mainland Britain in 1948,
and more recently still in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man. :spank:
Girls, as ever, were discriminated against... :( :smiley_1140:

birching table.jpgbirch.jpgbirching.jpgbirching plaque.jpg

Last edited:
Willow, I had never heard the term, and wondered if birching tables were for recreational purposes.

They weren’t. From an article titled "Judicial and prison corporal punishment in Britain."

Attachments

• BA632DB8-252A-45A6-9226-8A156A34372A.jpeg
    BA632DB8-252A-45A6-9226-8A156A34372A.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 135
Let's just say that this table had a smooth surface on it and I suspect it saw enough usage in its time.

And while girls didn't officially suffer briching in the UK, well you know those kinky Victorians, I'm sure we weren't too discriminated against. ;)

And they weren't lashes. I've been whipped, lets just say those branches bundled together looked a little more formidable.

kisses

willowfall

wondered if birching tables were for recreational purposes.

They weren’t.

Well, it's interesting that the one in my first pic (which I think is the one WIllowfall saw at Fort William)
is in a cosy looking parlour with a fireplace, and a convenient chair and side-table
for the superintendent, or maybe the doctor, to enjoy a cup of tea or a wee dram while he watched the proceedings,
a hard bench for those awaiting their turn to rest their soon-to-be-birched bums....

I just got back from the West Highlands and while we were there we visited the West Highland Museum in Fort William.

One of the rooms in the museum has the last “briching” table known to be used in Scotland (1948?).

It is very interesting. It is about 4 x 3 with holes in the top in which the victims arms were put through and tied on the other side. It has slots in the table apparently for belts to be used to hold the victim in place.

The same room also has in one of the display cases an metal collar that was originally attached to the wall to keep prisoners confined.

Let's just say that my fantasies for the rest of the day were quite …...... erotic.

Kisses

willowfall
Well, it's interesting that the one in my first pic (which I think is the one WIllowfall saw at Fort William)
is in a cosy looking parlour with a fireplace, and a convenient chair and side-table
for the superintendent, or maybe the doctor, to enjoy a cup of tea or a wee dram while he watched the proceedings,
a hard bench for those awaiting their turn to rest their soon-to-be-birched bums....
It is worse in the women's penitentiary...
prison 113.jpg

Attachments

• prison 159.jpg
    prison 159.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 163

My personal opinion is that the room would be a little too small for anything other than a private session. The temptation to play with the bundled branches was almost overwhelming.

In one of the display cases in the same room is the metal collar that fastened to a wall to hold prisoners.

kisses

willowfall

Back
Top Bottom