Broken On The Wheel

Go to CruxDreams.com
Gruesome ... :confused:

Well the idea of such violent punishment was deterrence through terror. Just like crucifixion.

Make a punishment brutal enough and would be miscreants will at least give it a second thought.

Think about it, going to jail for life or even hanging using the modern 'break-the-neck' method are relatively mild compared to crucifixion or being broken on the wheel.

kisses

willowfall

Well the idea of such violent punishment was deterrence through terror. Just like crucifixion.

Make a punishment brutal enough and would be miscreants will at least give it a second thought.

Think about it, going to jail for life or even hanging using the modern 'break-the-neck' method are relatively mild compared to crucifixion or being broken on the wheel.

kisses

willowfall
And yet, people went (go) right on committing crimes.

Yes, if the deterrence was so effective, crime would have stopped. It's hard to extrapolate crime rates from ancient times, but what I've read suggests ancient Rome (and medieval Europe) had much, much higher crime rates than we do today. Journeys between cities were extremely risky because of highwaymen and sea voyages were plagued by pirates (and a few pirettes).

What made the difference was professional police forces that could actually catch criminals (take a bow, Stan and Barb). The certainty of being caught deters even if the punishment isn't that severe, much better than draconian punishments.

That of course is true. Application of force/terror is an art more than a science.

For example, the Assassins were quite a pain in the ass to most political leaders. And multiple attempts to bring them to heel failed for a variety of reasons.

Until they were dumb enough to go after a Mongol leader. The Mongols answer was to literally wipe out the Assassin strongholds (and everyone in them) in what is today Iraq. They then asked the leaders of the remaining Assassins in what it today Syria if they had made their point.

They had and the Assassins never again went after a Mongol leader.

Would crucifixion stop all slaves from being rebellious, obviously not. But the threat of such a terrible method of punishment managed to keep the slaves under control enough that slave rebellion (even the Sparticus Rebellion) was a 'manageable' problem. Despite a massive percentage of the population being slaves.

Execution definitely deters the executed from committing another crime. Does it deter someone else? There is no way of knowing.

However. let's carry this over to colonial era navies. Flogging was used as a punishment. It must have been fairly effective because despite what we would consider appalling conditions mutinies were relatively rare. Despite the 'oppressed' significantly outnumbering the 'oppressors' and on a far away station there were no reinforcements for the oppressors with in easy reach.

Admittedly until relatively recently the chance of getting caught for a crime was relatively small. But when you did get caught you got you come comeuppance painfully and publically.

To carry it over to my own upbringing, my parents only had to spank me once for any given trangression. Did I commit others? Yep. But there weren't any repeats.

kisses

willowfall

I do think that (fantasy wise) being broken (naked) on the wheel for my crimes in the market square could be very erotic.

I guess my question to the would be executioners is (1) Do you leave me to die slowly on the wheel from the damage you have inflicted or (2) Finish me off with some other horrible form of execution?

I mean you don't want he crowd to be bored now do you?

kissesw

willowfall

I do think that (fantasy wise) being broken (naked) on the wheel for my crimes in the market square could be very erotic.

I guess my question to the would be executioners is (1) Do you leave me to die slowly on the wheel from the damage you have inflicted or (2) Finish me off with some other horrible form of execution?

kissesw

willowfall

After the excitement of watching the executioner break your body, waiting for you to die slowly would be kinda like watching paint dry for the mob, so I'm sure the executioner would be inventive in ways to finish you off.. Perhaps a nice fire under the wheel or impalement, just to keep things moving along.:lol:

kissesw

willowfall
Just push the wheel down a hill while still tied to it.
Not sure of the outcome...just roll with it

kissesw

willowfall
That would depend on your crime, the law and the attitude of the judge.
If your crime is relatively ordinary or the judge is merciful - or has been persuaded to be merciful - then you would be put out of your misery. The executioner might strangle you or chop off your head. More commonly, he would bring his club down on your chest, breaking your ribs and, with luck, rupturing your heart.
If, however, your crime is exceptional or the judge is cruel, there will be no mercy. You will have your shattered limbs braided into the spokes of the wheel which will be placed on a pole and you will be left to die as the birds peck at your flesh.
So, Willow, what is your crime and what kind of judge do you have?
wheel6.jpg

So, Willow, what is your crime and what kind of judge do you have?
View attachment 614061

Gee, I suppose it depends on your viewpoint as too my crime(s).

I have been rebellious, sarcastic, defiant, I have performed "unnatural" caresses on and bedded other women, I have massive carnal desires, sodomy, held and expressed heretical opinions, I have defied church officials (nuns) placed in authority over me, I have performed shameless acts in public, could probably be classified as a slut or harlot (although I have never done sex for money).

Hmmm ... that's all I can really remember at the moment.

As to judges, don't you all get to appoint those?

kisses

willowfall

I have been rebellious, sarcastic, defiant, I have performed "unnatural" caresses on and bedded other women, I have massive carnal desires, sodomy, held and expressed heretical opinions, I have defied church officials (nuns) placed in authority over me, I have performed shameless acts in public, could probably be classified as a slut or harlot (although I have never done sex for money).

kisses

willowfall
Oooh, those are serious offenses.
Did I mention the possible preliminary punishments? Flogging, branding, red hot pincers.
Your best bet might be to try and "persuade" the judges to be lenient.:devil:

kisses

willowfall
So really what you're saying is that, in the overall scheme of things, you're quite sweet and innocent!

kisses

willowfall

Unlike the judge, who is sarcastic (but doesn't need to be rebellious or defiant), he has also performed "unnatural" caresses on and bedded other men as well as women, He too has massive carnal desires, sodomy, he holds and expresses opinions that are wholly obnoxious, He defies Christian teaching, but turns a blind eye to church officials placed in authority over minors. He daily performs shameless acts in public just sitting on the bench handing down 'justice'. He could probably be classified as a sadistic maniac or pervert (but of course he just does it for money) :devil:

Unlike the judge, who is sarcastic (but doesn't need to be rebellious or defiant), he has also performed "unnatural" caresses on and bedded other men as well as women, He too has massive carnal desires, sodomy, he holds and expresses opinions that are wholly obnoxious, He defies Christian teaching, but turns a blind eye to church officials placed in authority over minors. He daily performs shameless acts in public just sitting on the bench handing down 'justice'. He could probably be classified as a sadistic maniac or pervert (but of course he just does it for money) :devil:

Yep but he is in charge. While we don't like it the reality of human existence is, and always has been, might makes right.

Something a poor slavegirl learns early on. Or doesn't and then becomes an example of what happens when you don't learn.

kisses

willowfall

Is this torture or relief?

desade8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom