Burned at the stake

Go to CruxDreams.com
I'd preferred chain over rope... more durable and somehow erotic.
The pain: yes, unimaginable
Regarding the screams there was a solution: often the victims were gagged or had their tongue fixed by other means. This had few advantages for the authorities as the history books teach:
1. the screams were muffled and thus did not destroy the festive mood
2. the spectators enjoyed watching the struggling and writhing victim without feeling any guilt or need for mercy
3. the victim could not recant in last minute and thus escape the punishment by being burned alive after everybody had gathered already to witness a cruel execution
On the contrary, screams were part of the victim's additional humiliation. The execution was public, and the spectators at the stake awaited the first cry. He was often accompanied by a clamor or applause.

There were as huge number of variations in all forms of execution.

Crux roped or nailed or tortured.

Hanging, the "traditional" hangman's know which was supposed to break your neck or a simple knot for strangulation.

Beheading, ax, sword or guillotine.

Burning let's see, slow fire to roast, hot fire to incinerate, smokey fire to suffocate, strangle the victim first as a mercy or cut out their tongue so they can't curse you or let their screams waft over the crowd

You can find examples of all of the above in stories and documents from history.

There was no "one" or "right" way to do any of it. Mush depended on the time period, culture, what was available and WHAT lesson the authorities wanted taught.

kisses

willowfall

Burning let's see, slow fire to roast, hot fire to incinerate, smokey fire to suffocate, strangle the victim first as a mercy or cut out their tongue so they can't curse you or let their screams waft over the crowd

You can find examples of all of the above in stories and documents from history.
And the bag of gunpowder around the neck to blow up in time to save the person too much agony.

There were as huge number of variations in all forms of execution.

Crux roped or nailed or tortured.

Hanging, the "traditional" hangman's know which was supposed to break your neck or a simple knot for strangulation.

Beheading, ax, sword or guillotine.

There was no "one" or "right" way to do any of it. Mush depended on the time period, culture, what was available and WHAT lesson the authorities wanted taught.

kisses

willowfall
Fine post, but "kisses" seems particularly out of place at the end.

burn baby burn

BurningtheMaidenDunstv2.jpgimg-1432437566.jpgemilia_clarke_nude_got_fire.jpgseason2bitcd7nqsh35bf.jpggd300.jpgBurned at the Stake 2.jpgburntumblr_p3sizstfaY1si5rd4o2_1280.jpgtumblr_p3sizstfaY1si5rd4o3_1280.jpgtumblr_p3sizstfaY1si5rd4o1_1280.jpg

Cunning technique, the girls would be dead from inhaling smoke and fumes by the tim the ropes burned through.
Then, when the ropes did burn through, the bodies would fall down and be completely consumed. Not nice to leave half-burned remains to clean up, it would upset passersby, adults and those of a nervous disposition.
These days I saw a documentary about Jean D`arc. When she was burned at the stake she was nothing but trouble. People needed three stakes till she was burned. After the first she was already dead (presumably from the smoke) but only her feet were burned. After the second fire torso, head and most of her arms were still there.
I don´t think I will ever try a french BBQ...

#1 -woman in window calls to husband "After you get your jollies watching her tits bounce. Make sure you get a roast leg for dinner"
#2 - woman in red heels "Can't I take these off? The heels are killing me!"
#4 - woman at stake to her husband in crowd, "Does this outfit make my butt look big?" It may be the first time in all human history when a husband can answer that question truthfully and fearlessly!

I don´t think I will ever try a french BBQ...
Remember, Jeanne d'Arc was burned by and on behalf of the English!:confused:
(Actually, most of the body survives after the burning, and often, inhalation of hot fumes and carbon monoxyde kills before the body gets consumed by flames. In the case of Jeanne, the Bishop of Westminstern who witnessed her execution, had ordered to cremate her body to ashes, in order to avoid that remains of her would become relics).

(Actually, most of the body survives after the burning, and often, inhalation of hot fumes and carbon monoxyde kills before the body gets consumed by flames. In the case of Jeanne, the Bishop of Westminstern who witnessed her execution, had ordered to cremate her body to ashes, in order to avoid that remains of her would become relics).

I Was always told Joan Of Arc was ring burnt, i have been to the
place she was supposed to have been burnt but its in the middle
of a market by a mettle pole nothing else , very disappointing

This is not correct - Joan of Arc was burnt by the French for the French and not for the English. She was burnt because she had committed the cardinal sin of wearing trousers. And just to make sure that she was dead they burnt her twice.

This is not correct - Joan of Arc was burnt by the French for the French and not for the English. She was burnt because she had committed the cardinal sin of wearing trousers. And just to make sure that she was dead they burnt her twice.
She was burned by the Burgundians, who allies of the English. At the time, the Duchy of Burgundy was separate from the Kingdom of France.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they burnt her twice". Maybe you're referring to the fact that; after her cloths were burned away, they banked down the fire so that everyone could she her naked. They then piled on more wood and continued the burning.
There have been two explanations given for this. One is that it was done so that everyone could see she was dead. The second was to confirm that she was a woman and not, as some alleged, a man in disguise.
I think the first explanation makes no sense. The second is possible, but I think the real reason was to humiliate her and that she was still alive at the time.

Back when I was still drawing I did an interpretation of this scene:
JdA2014.jpg

Yes, you are partly correct. Nevertheless, it was the French who tried her and condemned her to be burnt at the stake. They even denied her a crucifix to hold as the sentence was carried out, it being left to an English soldier to fashion one out of two sticks to give to her. Thereafter, the French did everything they could to remove all trace of her from the records even to the extent of burning the official records of her trial. It took France, as a nation, nearly 400 years and WW1 before Joan's achievements were fully recognized.
As to burning her twice - yes, the executioner did rake back the ashes to expose Joan's naked body to prove that she was indeed female but this was after the fire had died out. Having let the crowd see her remains the fire was rebuilt and lit again. I suppose exactly what happened is a matter of interpretation. The Bourgeois de Paris says, ".... the fire was pulled back and everyone saw her naked and all the secrets a woman must have .... When they had seen all they wanted, the executioner lit the fire again and the pitiful carcass was completely consumed by the flames."

Back
Top Bottom