A Capital Punishment Trial in Modern Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com
Why do I have this circling around a gurgling voracious drain feeling? :facepalm:
As in real life, there are so many different agenda in play, covering backsides, maintaining status , advancing political careers and probably with Josephine, a seething resentment that she missed your flogging in Changi. Frost is the only one who has any real interest in the truth and even he is influenced by a desire to stick it to the establishment. In any case ,self defence and extenuating circumstances are the best you can hope for.

Office of Jerry Wee Lian, Commissioner of Police, Monday, March 10, 8:25 AM

“I understand the Deputy’s desire to minimize the problems caused by his own his people,” said Frost, with more obvious sarcasm. “But the method of investigating and resolving that matter was most disturbing. It is difficult to understand the decision to place Moore back in the cell with Lin after the earlier dispute. It seems to have been an invitation to trouble.

"As far as the second drug infraction goes, I am not convinced that Moore, an Anglo tourist, here for the first time, had the means or contacts to obtain drugs on her own in the jail. It seems more likely that Lin would have those and, in revenge, plant them on her enemy. The whole sequence of events before and after Moore’s prison caning would raise red flags to any half-awake investigator. And those doubts raised, in turn, should cause some suspicion that Lin helped precipitate the final tragedy. We should take extra care to avoid reaching a premature conclusion in the present matter.”

“Frost, it’s very disturbing to hear you carry on like Moore’s defense counsel.” The Commissioner’s voice became raised as his annoyance with Frost’s statements grew. “Let’s just hear the facts you’ve got.”

“Yes, Sir.” Frost said the obedient words with no trace of true respect.

“As a result of the drug possession, Barbara Moore received a third caning in a week. Something I don’t think has ever happened before. The reports from the doctor in the prison and the nurse in the jail attest to quite severe and extremely painful damage. Only now have her wounds begun to heal,” added Frost. “It seems that this total level of extreme corporal punishment was unnecessarily severe.”

“Frost,” the Commissioner almost shouted. “You are out of line!”

“It is clear she deserved all she got; I only wish I’d been there to see her wail!” sneered Josephine. “She didn’t learn from any of it. That’s why we are here now and an innocent prisoner is dead. Can’t you see the big picture, Inspector?”

Before Frost could get himself in more trouble, Ng broke in. “We can debate the past forever. We are here today to decide how the case moves ahead.”

“Yes,” said Lian, sputtering and looking sternly at Frost. “So, detective, go over what your investigation has uncovered about yesterday’s events. And refrain from judgements of the rigor of our justice system!”

Frost detailed the interviews and findings. “The final CSI and autopsy reports are not yet available,” he said. “But should be later today and I doubt they will change any conclusions about what happened in that room.”

“And what are your conclusions at this time?” asked Ng.

“Certainly, Moore’s statement that it was self-defense, and/or (it is hard to pin down what Miss Moore is claiming, her story changes so many times) an accident caused by a greasy floor lacks all credibility. For example, the preliminary CSI investigation found no other liquids or lubricant on the floor, beside Lin’s blood. Since Barbara is the only living witness to what happened in the anteroom, and we cannot believe her, we can only use circumstantial evidence.”

“Which seems more than adequate to establish what happened,” stated Leng.

“Yes Deputy,” said Frost, clearly annoyed at the unsolicited opinion. “Based on the statements and the circumstantial evidence, the obvious conclusion is that Moore and Lin got into another argument in the anteroom, they struggled and Lin fell against the desk, experiencing a fatal blow to the head.”

“And with her death threat from moments before,” stated Leng, “that makes Moore guilty of culpable homicide. The charge is enhanced by the fact that they were both prisoners at the time and potentially by the drug possession and smuggling charges.”

“It seems in order to have her appear tomorrow morning before a judge for her initial hearing on the charges,” continued Leng. “Assault and battery and culpable homicide while in police or detention custody. And, as you may know, Commissioner,” added Leng, “those charges expose the suspect to not only capital punishment but the various forms of enhanced capital punishment at the discretion of the trial judge.”

All present were quiet for a moment thinking of Moore suffering the most extreme punishment available in Singapore.

“Miss Moore will serve as a useful example to the criminal element that crimes committed in the Republic of Singapore are punished with a firm hand,” said the Commissioner.

“Agreed, Commissioner,” said Leng. “Though the severity of enhanced capital punishment is an unusual level of penalty for a young woman with no criminal record before two weeks ago.”

“Serves the damn bitch right,” spat out Josephine. “She insulted a revered, senior judge. A simple hanging is too good for her!”

“I’m not convinced she’s guilty,” objected Frost.

“Serves the damn bitch right,” spat out Josephine. “She insulted a revered, senior judge. A simple hanging is too good for her!”

Come on people. Let’s get it all together and rally around love and forgiveness. It’s obvious that I’m innocent. It’s obvious that Josephine is a sicko. And it’s obvious that this shithole country needs to be taught a lesson. Calling for sanctions. Slap them with a few dozen tariffs. Strangle their tourism trade. Call their leaders names! Come on! Somebody get me the fuck outta here!

Come on people. Let’s get it all together and rally around love and forgiveness. It’s obvious that I’m innocent. It’s obvious that Josephine is a sicko. And it’s obvious that this shithole country needs to be taught a lesson. Calling for sanctions. Slap them with a few dozen tariffs. Strangle their tourism trade. Call their leaders names! Come on! Somebody get me the fuck outta here!
Send some tweets in block capitals. Job done.

Office of Jerry Wee Lian, Commissioner of Police, Monday, March 10, 8:25 AM

“I understand the Deputy’s desire to minimize the problems caused by his own his people,” said Frost, with more obvious sarcasm. “But the method of investigating and resolving that matter was most disturbing. It is difficult to understand the decision to place Moore back in the cell with Lin after the earlier dispute. It seems to have been an invitation to trouble.

"As far as the second drug infraction goes, I am not convinced that Moore, an Anglo tourist, here for the first time, had the means or contacts to obtain drugs on her own in the jail. It seems more likely that Lin would have those and, in revenge, plant them on her enemy. The whole sequence of events before and after Moore’s prison caning would raise red flags to any half-awake investigator. And those doubts raised, in turn, should cause some suspicion that Lin helped precipitate the final tragedy. We should take extra care to avoid reaching a premature conclusion in the present matter.”

“Frost, it’s very disturbing to hear you carry on like Moore’s defense counsel.” The Commissioner’s voice became raised as his annoyance with Frost’s statements grew. “Let’s just hear the facts you’ve got.”

“Yes, Sir.” Frost said the obedient words with no trace of true respect.

“As a result of the drug possession, Barbara Moore received a third caning in a week. Something I don’t think has ever happened before. The reports from the doctor in the prison and the nurse in the jail attest to quite severe and extremely painful damage. Only now have her wounds begun to heal,” added Frost. “It seems that this total level of extreme corporal punishment was unnecessarily severe.”

“Frost,” the Commissioner almost shouted. “You are out of line!”

“It is clear she deserved all she got; I only wish I’d been there to see her wail!” sneered Josephine. “She didn’t learn from any of it. That’s why we are here now and an innocent prisoner is dead. Can’t you see the big picture, Inspector?”

Before Frost could get himself in more trouble, Ng broke in. “We can debate the past forever. We are here today to decide how the case moves ahead.”

“Yes,” said Lian, sputtering and looking sternly at Frost. “So, detective, go over what your investigation has uncovered about yesterday’s events. And refrain from judgements of the rigor of our justice system!”

Frost detailed the interviews and findings. “The final CSI and autopsy reports are not yet available,” he said. “But should be later today and I doubt they will change any conclusions about what happened in that room.”

“And what are your conclusions at this time?” asked Ng.

“Certainly, Moore’s statement that it was self-defense, and/or (it is hard to pin down what Miss Moore is claiming, her story changes so many times) an accident caused by a greasy floor lacks all credibility. For example, the preliminary CSI investigation found no other liquids or lubricant on the floor, beside Lin’s blood. Since Barbara is the only living witness to what happened in the anteroom, and we cannot believe her, we can only use circumstantial evidence.”

“Which seems more than adequate to establish what happened,” stated Leng.

“Yes Deputy,” said Frost, clearly annoyed at the unsolicited opinion. “Based on the statements and the circumstantial evidence, the obvious conclusion is that Moore and Lin got into another argument in the anteroom, they struggled and Lin fell against the desk, experiencing a fatal blow to the head.”

“And with her death threat from moments before,” stated Leng, “that makes Moore guilty of culpable homicide. The charge is enhanced by the fact that they were both prisoners at the time and potentially by the drug possession and smuggling charges.”

“It seems in order to have her appear tomorrow morning before a judge for her initial hearing on the charges,” continued Leng. “Assault and battery and culpable homicide while in police or detention custody. And, as you may know, Commissioner,” added Leng, “those charges expose the suspect to not only capital punishment but the various forms of enhanced capital punishment at the discretion of the trial judge.”

All present were quiet for a moment thinking of Moore suffering the most extreme punishment available in Singapore.

“Miss Moore will serve as a useful example to the criminal element that crimes committed in the Republic of Singapore are punished with a firm hand,” said the Commissioner.

“Agreed, Commissioner,” said Leng. “Though the severity of enhanced capital punishment is an unusual level of penalty for a young woman with no criminal record before two weeks ago.”

An excellent chapter, neatly summing up all the possible explanations and what may be the outcome of them.

When your back's against the wall, turn into a Republican? Enhanced capital punishment must be preferable to that!

Yes, I’d rather be hanged than make THAT unthinkable turn ... :confused:

I was just thinking: with diplomatic skills like that, it’s only a matter of time until @Barbaria1 gets head-hunted by the British Foreign Office :facepalm:

You really think BJ would want ME on his team? :rolleyes:

I’d rather be hanged

Have you forgotten what 'enhanced' means? My poor old brain can only vaguely remember from Series 1, but it wasn't nice. Maybe you need to read the very small print in the Republic of Singapore Penal Code.

By the way, I read somewhere in said Code that calling the fine Republic a sh**hole is also a serious offence. Not that this should worrry you with what you are facing.

You’d have to try to remember not to call the UK a “shit-hole country”..(that’s our job) but otherwise yeah, why not. Travel the world, meet interesting people, and insult them. Then back home in time for tea and crumpets :devil:

838D380E-1353-46FF-972F-7D7DE6DEC2AB.jpeg I have my diplomatic attire all picked out. Hoping to meet some interesting dignitaries I can insult.

Back
Top Bottom