A Capital Punishment Trial in Modern Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com
Please, please! I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. After all, Barbara hasn't been convicted of anything yet. Frost, who seems very much sharper than his disheveled appearance implies, doesn't believe she's guilty. In fact her preliminary hearing isn't until the next day. Perhaps she will get a sympathetic judge who will release her and allow her to return to the US (to face her mammoth debts) and relieve all in Singapore of her annoying presence.

Please, please! I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. After all, Barbara hasn't been convicted of anything yet. Frost, who seems very much sharper than his disheveled appearance implies, doesn't believe she's guilty. In fact her preliminary hearing isn't until the next day. Perhaps she will get a sympathetic judge who will release her and allow her to return to the US (to face her mammoth debts) and relieve all in Singapore of her annoying presence.

DF0C24B2-D22B-4ED6-B970-E99A60030175.jpeg :rolleyes:

Now that is gilding the lily! At best, she may get away with pleading self defence but will not escape an assault charge.

Office of Jerry Wee Lian, Commissioner of Police, Monday, March 10, 8:45 AM

All turned to the Detective in wonder. “What, detective?” asked Leng. “You just told us that she murdered Lin.”

“I said that was the easy conclusion to jump to. But something doesn’t seem quite right. I can’t put finger on it, but my gut tells me we’re missing something. I am not convinced that we know the whole story. I need to investigate further and give Moore every possible chance to be proven innocent.”

“Chief Ng,” sputtered the Commissioner, about to lose self-control. “Make sure your detective knows who he’s working for. WE pay his salary, not Miss Bloody Moore! He needs to see the big picture here, the vital importance of maintaining the image of our criminal justice system and recognizing political realities!”

“Of course, Commissioner,” said Ng, squeezing Frost’s wrist hard. “I’m sure Frost realizes that we can’t just wait indefinitely for new evidence. Do you have any specific areas to investigate, Jack?”

“If possible, I want to view the surveillance tapes.”

“I thought they were gone,” said Leng.

“We have a slight hope to recover them.”

“If we can’t recover them, Frost? What do we do?” asked Ng.

“Unless I find evidence changing the current conclusion, I suppose that we have to proceed to prosecute, Sir. But I am not satisfied we’ve done all we can do. I believe enhanced capital punishment is excessive and would be a big mistake.”

Frost! You are out of line!” bellowed Lian. “Your job is to investigate. But the ultimate charging decision is not yours but the Office of the Attorney General. And the sentencing is up to the judge. Ng, please make sure your officers know their limits.”

“Yes, Commissioner,” said Ng, standing and taking Frost with him to the door. “Go back to homicide and see what you can uncover. I’ll speak to you when I’m finished here.” Urging Frost out of the office and closing the door, he returned to his seat. “The investigation will be to the highest and most rigorous standards of the Department, Commissioner...”

Last edited:
Office of Jerry Wee Lian, Commissioner of Police, Monday, March 10, 8:45 AM

All turned to the Detective in wonder. “What, detective?” asked Leng. “You just told us that she murdered Lin.”

“I said that was the easy conclusion to jump to. But something doesn’t seem quite right. I can’t put finger on it, but my gut tells me we’re missing something. I am not convinced that we know the whole story. I need to investigate further and give Moore every possible chance to be proven innocent.”

“Chief Ng,” sputtered the Commissioner, about to lose self-control. “Make sure your detective knows who he’s working for. WE pay his salary, not Miss Bloody Moore! He needs to see the big picture here, the vital importance of maintaining the image of our criminal justice system and recognizing political realities!”

“Of course, Commissioner,” said Ng, squeezing Frost’s wrist hard. “I’m sure Frost realizes that we can’t just wait indefinitely for new evidence. Do you have any specific areas to investigate, Jack?”

“If possible, I want to view the surveillance tapes.”

“I thought they were gone,” said Leng.

“We have a slight hope to recover them.”

“If we can’t recover them, Frost? What do we do?” asked Ng.

“Unless I find evidence changing the current conclusion, I suppose that we have to proceed to prosecute, Sir. But I am not satisfied we’ve done all we can do. I believe enhanced capital punishment is excessive and would be a big mistake.”

Frost! You are out of line!” bellowed Lian. “Your job is to investigate. But the ultimate charging decision is not yours but the Office of the Attorney General. And the sentencing is up to the judge. Ng, please make sure your officers know their limits.”

“Yes, Commissioner,” said Ng, standing and taking Frost with him to the door. “Go back to homicide and see what you can uncover. I’ll speak to you when I’m finished here.” Urging Frost out of the office and closing the door, he returned to his seat. “The investigation will be to the highest and most rigorous standards of the Department, Commissioner.”
Uh-oh, Frost is going to get frozen out of the case if he’s not careful. It’s almost as if he has no idea he is a character in a CF story :doh:

WE pay his salary, not Miss Bloody Moore!

Now look who’s being abusive! Did everyone catch that? Where do I file a complaint about a biased investigation? She ought to be fired and replaced with someone who likes me! I am very likable, you know. Ask anyone. They’ll tell you. Oh, and I’m kind to animals too. In fact, I once ....

Opps! :oops: Second part of today's post got left off. So Sorry!:(

Here it is:

…Josephine turned to Lain and asked in a sneering voice, “Why do we keep that old fart, Frost, around? He was fired in England.”

“He does solve many cases,” replied Leng.

“Everyone solves cases.” Said the Commissioner. “No one is irreplaceable here. This Department must work in smooth harmony toward our objectives. We must see the big picture. There are more important considerations, political considerations, than just solving cases. There is no room for those who don’t understand that. Besides, it seems he had been mesmerized by the Moore woman and is not thinking clearly.”

“I, for one, am not comfortable undertaking a prosecution with a chief investigating officer exhibiting such clear sympathy, even infatuation with the accused,” added Leng.

“It seems we have no choice, then,” said the Commissioner. “To ensure justice here, Frost must be removed from the case. Ng, appoint the next senior man on his team to complete the investigation.”

“Sergeant John Wade? He’s not of Frost’s caliber.” Seeing the Commissioners angry look, Ng conceded reluctantly, “If you insist, I shall. However, Frost is the only one prepared for tomorrow’s hearing. I expect Deputy Leng would want him to testify.”

“I would, Commissioner. I’ll keep him on a tight leash.”

“All right then, be sure you do. And immediately after the hearing, Chief, sack him from the case. After this is over, we need to discuss Frost’s future role in the department. It seems the man cannot be trusted, in a political way.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“With that settled, Lian, I have a matter from her Ladyship to discuss,” said Josephine.

“Ng, Leng, I believe you are finished here; you may go. The minister and I have private matters of the highest importance.”

Back
Top Bottom