542ee79e7c3da.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 542ee79e8e40d.jpg
    542ee79e8e40d.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 542ee79e31ba8.jpg
    542ee79e31ba8.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 23
'Ad-este' means 'be present', I think 'O come' is quite a fair translation of that.
I think it's a splendid hymn in both languages - it's not easy to find a good recording of the Latin version on YouTube,
I was looking for one yesterday - the performance in St Peter's is most operatic:

The origin of the hymn is obscure, but the earliest document with the tune and the first four verses
(in the order you've given them - they vary, as in the Vatican version above)
is from the English Catholic college at Douai, c1740. It was first heard in England
in the chapel of the Portuguese embassy, and the Portuguese claim it was composed by one of their rulers, I forget which.
For a time it was only sung by Catholics, and was even regarded with suspicion as 'Jacobite',
but the 19th century Tractarians (Anglo-Catholics) adopted it,
Francis Oakley who translated the verses that are usually sung
was vicar of the very 'high' Anglo-Catholic church, All Saints, Margaret Street, in London.
Just read this carefully and have a bone to pick. My statement that adeste means arise was wrong because it was a typo. I meant arrive, for be present. But I don't think in Latin it is the same as come. It is one of those words in Latin that reflect more my specialty, the military side. It comes from adsum , meaning (lit.) I am to. Remember, the military usages in Rome were ubiquitous. Many things and words must be interpreted in terms of how a soldier would use them. Adsum, Present Sir, is a roll call response. The person is not coming, but is there. So Adeste Fideles, plural imperative (from Latin for a military command) is freely translated as "You Faithful ones had better be there!"

A macaronic song for Christmas Day, The Boar's Head Carol:

The boar's head in hand bring I,
Bedeck'd with bays and rosemary.
And I pray you, my masters, be merry
Quot estis in convivio (Translation: As many as are in the feast)

CHORUS
Caput apri defero (Translation: The boar's head I bear)
Reddens laudes Domino (Translation: Giving praises to the Lord)

The boar's head, as I understand,
Is the rarest dish in all this land,
Which thus bedeck'd with a gay garland
Let us servire cantico. (Translation: Let us serve with a song)

CHORUS

Our steward hath provided this
In honour of the King of Bliss;
Which on this day to be servèd is
In Reginensi atrio. (Translation: In the hall of Queen’s [College, Oxford]

William Henry Husk, Librarian to the Sacred Harmonic Society, The Queen's College, wrote about the tradition in his Songs of the Nativity Being Christmas Carols, Ancient and Modern (1868):

Where an amusing tradition formerly current in Oxford concerning the boar's head custom, which represented that usage as a commemoration of an act of valour performed by a student of the college, who, while walking in the neighbouring forest of Shotover and reading Aristotle, was suddenly attacked by a wild boar. The furious beast came open-mouthed upon the youth, who, however, very courageously, and with a happy presence of mind, thrust the volume he was reading down the boar's throat, crying, "Græcum est," (Greek compliments) and fairly choked the savage with the sage.

Last edited:
Just read this carefully and have a bone to pick. My statement that adeste means arise was wrong because it was a typo. I meant arrive, for be present. But I don't think in Latin it is the same as come. It is one of those words in Latin that reflect more my specialty, the military side. It comes from adsum , meaning (lit.) I am to. Remember, the military usages in Rome were ubiquitous. Many things and words must be interpreted in terms of how a soldier would use them. Adsum, Present Sir, is a roll call response. The person is not coming, but is there. So Adeste Fideles, plural imperative (from Latin for a military command) is freely translated as "You Faithful ones had better be there!"
Yes when we were beginning Latin, we had to answer 'adsum' (which is also 'I am at') to the register -
and call out 'abest' for any kid who was absent.
But I still don't think 'Be here, all ye faithful' would have caught on so well.

Yes when we were beginning Latin, we had to answer 'adsum' (which is also 'I am at') to the register -
and call out 'abest' for any kid who was absent.
But I still don't think 'Be here, all ye faithful' would have caught on so well.
How the martial values has slipped away.:oops::oops::oops:. What's next? Bagpipers in Suit and tie?

I would love to see a woman, tied naked and spread wide open, IMPALED ON A CHRISTMAS TREE!
First, she is tied, spread, the suspended above the Christmas Tree. Next, she is slowly lowered, to the top of the Christmas Tree enters her vagina. Her arms above her head, she is slowly, painfully lowered, to where the Christmas Tree enters her!
Last, the Christmas Tree top exits her mouth.
Impaled on a Christmas Tree.
That is my Kinky Krismas dream.
Could one of our many artists create that?

A macaronic song for Christmas Day, The Boar's Head Carol:

The boar's head in hand bring I,
Bedeck'd with bays and rosemary.
And I pray you, my masters, be merry
Quot estis in convivio (Translation: As many as are in the feast)

CHORUS
Caput apri defero (Translation: The boar's head I bear)
Reddens laudes Domino (Translation: Giving praises to the Lord)

The boar's head, as I understand,
Is the rarest dish in all this land,
Which thus bedeck'd with a gay garland
Let us servire cantico. (Translation: Let us serve with a song)

CHORUS

Our steward hath provided this
In honour of the King of Bliss;
Which on this day to be servèd is
In Reginensi atrio. (Translation: In the hall of Queen’s [College, Oxford]

William Henry Husk, Librarian to the Sacred Harmonic Society, The Queen's College, wrote about the tradition in his Songs of the Nativity Being Christmas Carols, Ancient and Modern (1868):

Where an amusing tradition formerly current in Oxford concerning the boar's head custom, which represented that usage as a commemoration of an act of valour performed by a student of the college, who, while walking in the neighbouring forest of Shotover and reading Aristotle, was suddenly attacked by a wild boar. The furious beast came open-mouthed upon the youth, who, however, very courageously, and with a happy presence of mind, thrust the volume he was reading down the boar's throat, crying, "Græcum est," (Greek compliments) and fairly choked the savage with the sage.

I would love to see a woman, tied naked and spread wide open, IMPALED ON A CHRISTMAS TREE!
First, she is tied, spread, the suspended above the Christmas Tree. Next, she is slowly lowered, to the top of the Christmas Tree enters her vagina. Her arms above her head, she is slowly, painfully lowered, to where the Christmas Tree enters her!
Last, the Christmas Tree top exits her mouth.
Impaled on a Christmas Tree.
That is my Kinky Krismas dream.
Could one of our many artists create that?
Come on artists! You've got to support a man who loves chocolate covered nipples. (of course, who doesn't?)

I learn more every day!

Why does Santa Clause not have children?
Because he only cums once a year.

Once is enough to do the job!

The recent down time meant that I couldn't post these final Christmas offerings ahead of the day itself, so here they are.

a_bettie_page_christma_tribute_with_oona_desade_by_russtherab_d6y5hwm-fullview.jpgXmas 94 (235).JPG_cov-xmas1_500 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom