Constantinople

Go to CruxDreams.com

Just before midday, 1 June 1453

The ancient whipping post to which we are to be bound bears the blood stains of countless victims. Situated in the open forum at the entrance to the Hippodrome and overshadowed by the great dome of Hagia Sophia, the post is said to date back nearly to the Roman city's founding by Constantine.

Adelfi and I are positioned so as to face the post, more or less side by side. Our arms are raised above our heads and our wrists secured with ropes to iron rings ... with just enough slack given to allow us to twist, writhe and jump around under the bite of the lash.

"How convenient! A whipping post right where it's needed," remarks Adelfi caustically as she is forced into position up against the post.

"Stop complaining! You got us into this! Hitting the Sultan over the head with that shield probably wasn't such a good idea," I hiss, wincing as the bonding cord is cinched around my wrists.

"Seemed the thing to do at the time. We got away didn't we?"

"Well, not quite or we wouldn't be here now, would we?"

One of the Captain's lieutenants has been delegated to administer our floggings. Stripped to the waist, he flexes his muscles and engages in a few practice swings with his whip, the ends of which almost sing as they slash through the heavy stillness of the late morning air.

"He's going to tear us apart with that thing!" gulps Adelfi.

But before the lieutenant can turn the business end of his whip to our tender flesh a sudden breeze springs up. The winds off the waters of the Bosporus and Sea of Marmara have swung around to waft over the the city, feeding still smoldering fires along the waterfront districts and raising dense clouds of smoke to darken the sky. The heated currents of wind stir my hair and caress my skin.

"Is that some kind of omen?" cries Adelfi, looking skyward.

"It can't be good, if it is!"

But now our whipping begins. The first stroke comes without warning and rips across my bare back, forcing me to press my chest hard against the unyielding sturdiness of the post, and forcing a long cry of anguish from my lips that is almost immediately drowned out by a chorus of cheers from the throats of thousands of watching Turkish soldiers.

The next lash catches Adelfi in the small of her back, causing her to arch and twist, smashing her hip into mine. The one after that stripes my buttocks, and is quickly followed up by a diagonal slash across Adelfi's shoulder blades that also nicks my shoulder and bites at the back of my neck.

The Captain's lieutenant is a wizard with the whip, lashing us hard and accurately and at a tempo that soon sets us to wild writhing and dancing. We swing about, kick and jump ... alternately slamming ourselves against the post and smashing into one another. Our yelps and screams intermingle with the shouts and cheers of the onlooking soldiers.

View attachment 523546

In our desperate efforts to escape his deadly aim, our legs become entangled and Adelfi is spun about so that she faces him. He takes full advantage of her full frontal exposure to mercilessly punish her breasts, belly and thighs.

Then turning to me, he takes pleasure in setting my quivering ass cheeks afire with a rapid series of strokes, before systematically raking me over from thighs to shoulders.

How many strokes had been already delivered is impossible to know... they came so fast and furious ... and all I can think about is moving frantically about in the hope of minimizing the agony.

Not until I think that I can take no more, and Adelfi leans listlessly against my flank, nearly unconscious, do the lashes finally cease.

I shake my head groggily, lean back away from the post, and blinking tears from my smarting eyes try to look around.

The Sultan has vanished. And everyone's eyes have turned away from Adelfi and me to the dome of Hagia Sophia.

I remember the Sultan's orders ... that we should be publicly crucified in the old Roman fashion precisely at the time of the midday Friday prayer.

It's time!

Overhead, the sun has reached its zenith.

The Sultan is entering the mosque to pray.

"Is it over?" moans Adelfi, rousing herself and peering around unsteadily.

"No, The worst is yet to come!"

TO BE CONTINUED
What kind of hat would Tree wear in this era?

Another great chapter Barb.

Oh Barb, I fear, that is not historical correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fez

Maybe this model for DIMIOS déntro:
6072355847_acaedc9558_b.jpg

Afternoon, 1 June 1453

The ultimate nightmare has begun. Adelfi and I are released from the whipping post. We fall to the ground and are left to lie there, bleeding, hurting and exhausted from our ordeal under the lash.

The seemingly endless mass of Turkish soldiers, who fill the forum in which we were flogged as well as the Hippodrome beyond, parts to allow two horses through. The beasts drag four timbers. One is slightly charred ... suggesting it has been hastily requisitioned from the smouldering ruins of a nearby structure.

A crew of soldiers, acting under the orders of the Captain of the Guard and overseen by one of his lieutenants, immediately set themselves about the task of assembling two rustic crosses and digging a pair of holes to set them in.

"They're not wasting any time, are they?" whispers Adelfi uneasily, propping herself on an elbow to better observe the frenzied proceedings.

"No, the Sultan ordered that we be crucified in time for Friday noon prayer. That doesn't give them much time. They're scared. Who knows what he might do if they fail to carry out his orders precisely."

It's not long before all is in readiness.

The Captain orders that we be moved. Eager hands from behind slide under my armpits, and I am half lifted, half dragged to my waiting cross. I kick feebly at first, but am far too weak to offer any real resistance. Adelfi puts up even less of a fight.

Within moments we find ourselves lying flat on our backs, pressed against the rough wooden spine of our cross, staring up at the grey overhead clouds of smoke and swirling cinders. A reddish glow, reflected from the burning waterfront districts, ominously paints the darkened sky.

Soldiers squat all around us .. some to hold us down ... others, equipped with hammers and spikes, to nail us to our crosses. My arms are forcibly stretched out along the crossbeam, my wrists held firmly against the wood.

I glance to my right. A soldier is already positioning a nail over Adelfi's outstretched wrist, a look of intense concentration on his swarthy face as he raises a muscular hammer arm. He brings it crashing down. A spark flies. The ring of iron on iron is drowned out by Adelfi's horrified scream. Spattered droplets of blood adorn her stretched arm.

My turn. I feel the point of a nail jabbed into my left wrist, and instinctively turn my head to look. I try to pull my wrist away from the impending horror, but my arm is pinned tight to the wood by a grinning Turk, who looks me knowingly and cruelly in the eye. The hammer swings and my cry of anguish equals and combines with that of Adelfi's who simultaneously suffers the nailing of her second wrist.

There is a scramble as they move swiftly to secure my right wrist to the wood. The pain, this time, is no less ... like a thunderbolt! I scream and arch my back, digging my heels into the soft turf.

Then it's on to our feet. They seem to be racing against time, so swift is the transition. Strong hands grab my ankles and press my right foot firmly against a small wooden cross bar. Then my left is placed directly on top of it. My knees are bent upward. My head lolls from side to side as I cry, "No, please ... Nooooooo!"

The nail is driven with gusto, and driven straight through one foot and on through the second, crushing any bone or cartilage in its way. I squirm and buck, raise my head, and drop it hard against the wood ... once, twice ... trying vainly to knock myself senseless ... but nothing arrests the pain and shock.

Adelfi screams again. I lift my head. They have used two nails to pin her feet to the wood!

To a resounding chorus of shouts and applause, we are raised. The wood uprights are dropped in hastily dug holes. We are flung about like rag dolls on impact. Our crosses are hastily secured. We have been crucified.

Madiosi2017-269-constantinople 19a.jpg

Self-satisfied, they step back to admire their handiwork, and to watch transfixed as nakedly and helplessly we twist and writhe, performing the inevitable dance of the crucified.

Bathed in sweat and blood, screaming and begging for mercy, we suffer before thousands of watching eyes. Not a single soldier leaves, although a way of passage is made for a steady stream of citizens, who are driven endlessly past our wretched little tableau.

The are forced by to see and learn, as the Sultan intended. Some look, others stare, others glance quickly our way to appease the soldiers who drive them past us, but then look away.

They have seen, the point is made. We can only hope the end comes soon.

FINIS

xM_12 (2).jpg Well ...... Bof ....... I dont know ....... I wonder if ......... what ?....... Could it be ? ...........

I cant find to tell anything about this end ..... So, I stop there my comments ......

... though it was well done Barb ! :clapping:

BBC production staff denounces any references or images that may resemble John Cleese.

It is purely by coincidence!

:doh:

BBC production staff denounces any references or images that may resemble John Cleese.

It is purely by coincidence!

:doh:
'The Life of Brian'

(Scene 16: Crucifixion: Could Be Worse...)

CENTURION: Quiet! Silly person. Guards! Search the house.

(clomp clomp clomp...)

You know the penalty laid down by Roman law for harbouring a known criminal?

MATTHIAS: No.

CENTURION: Crucifixion.

MATTHIAS: Oh.

CENTURION: Nasty, eh?

MATTHIAS: Hm. Could be worse.

CENTURION: What do you mean, 'could be worse'?

MATTHIAS: Well, you could be stabbed.

CENTURION: Stabbed? Takes a second. Crucifixion lasts hours! It's a slow, horrible death!

MATTHIAS: Well, at least it gets you out in the open air.

CENTURION: You're weird.

Bathed in sweat and blood, screaming and begging for mercy, we suffer before thousands of watching eyes. Not a single soldier leaves, although a way of passage is made for a steady stream of citizens, who are driven endlessly past our wretched little tableau.

The are forced by to see and learn, as the Sultan intended. Some look, others stare, others glance quickly our way to appease the soldiers who drive them past us, but then look away.

FINIS
As intense a crucifixion scene as I have read in a while, Barb. Excellent work. I was sweating and appalled, and not half aroused by it. :confused::eek::eek::very_hot::clapping::clapping:
Props to Madiosi, as always, for the excellent illustration. :beer:

A rather sad end for our plucky girls. :(

Afternoon, 1 June 1453

The ultimate nightmare has begun. Adelfi and I are released from the whipping post. We fall to the ground and are left to lie there, bleeding, hurting and exhausted from our ordeal under the lash.

The seemingly endless mass of Turkish soldiers, who fill the forum in which we were flogged as well as the Hippodrome beyond, parts to allow two horses through. The beasts drag four timbers. One is slightly charred ... suggesting it has been hastily requisitioned from the smouldering ruins of a nearby structure.

A crew of soldiers, acting under the orders of the Captain of the Guard and overseen by one of his lieutenants, immediately set themselves about the task of assembling two rustic crosses and digging a pair of holes to set them in.

"They're not wasting any time, are they?" whispers Adelfi uneasily, propping herself on an elbow to better observe the frenzied proceedings.

"No, the Sultan ordered that we be crucified in time for Friday noon prayer. That doesn't give them much time. They're scared. Who knows what he might do if they fail to carry out his orders precisely."

It's not long before all is in readiness.

The Captain orders that we be moved. Eager hands from behind slide under my armpits, and I am half lifted, half dragged to my waiting cross. I kick feebly at first, but am far too weak to offer any real resistance. Adelfi puts up even less of a fight.

Within moments we find ourselves lying flat on our backs, pressed against the rough wooden spine of our cross, staring up at the grey overhead clouds of smoke and swirling cinders. A reddish glow, reflected from the burning waterfront districts, ominously paints the darkened sky.

Soldiers squat all around us .. some to hold us down ... others, equipped with hammers and spikes, to nail us to our crosses. My arms are forcibly stretched out along the crossbeam, my wrists held firmly against the wood.

I glance to my right. A soldier is already positioning a nail over Adelfi's outstretched wrist, a look of intense concentration on his swarthy face as he raises a muscular hammer arm. He brings it crashing down. A spark flies. The ring of iron on iron is drowned out by Adelfi's horrified scream. Spattered droplets of blood adorn her stretched arm.

My turn. I feel the point of a nail jabbed into my left wrist, and instinctively turn my head to look. I try to pull my wrist away from the impending horror, but my arm is pinned tight to the wood by a grinning Turk, who looks me knowingly and cruelly in the eye. The hammer swings and my cry of anguish equals and combines with that of Adelfi's who simultaneously suffers the nailing of her second wrist.

There is a scramble as they move swiftly to secure my right wrist to the wood. The pain, this time, is no less ... like a thunderbolt! I scream and arch my back, digging my heels into the soft turf.

Then it's on to our feet. They seem to be racing against time, so swift is the transition. Strong hands grab my ankles and press my right foot firmly against a small wooden cross bar. Then my left is placed directly on top of it. My knees are bent upward. My head lolls from side to side as I cry, "No, please ... Nooooooo!"

The nail is driven with gusto, and driven straight through one foot and on through the second, crushing any bone or cartilage in its way. I squirm and buck, raise my head, and drop it hard against the wood ... once, twice ... trying vainly to knock myself senseless ... but nothing arrests the pain and shock.

Adelfi screams again. I lift my head. They have used two nails to pin her feet to the wood!

To a resounding chorus of shouts and applause, we are raised. The wood uprights are dropped in hastily dug holes. We are flung about like rag dolls on impact. Our crosses are hastily secured. We have been crucified.

View attachment 523756

Self-satisfied, they step back to admire their handiwork, and to watch transfixed as nakedly and helplessly we twist and writhe, performing the inevitable dance of the crucified.

FINIS

Saved this till I was home from work - been looking forward to it all day! :)

It really helps to while away a tedious day at work when you know you have a pearl of great price awaiting you! :)

And this was a real pearl from Barb, yes, she's written crucifixion scenes before, but she makes each one fresh, and different, and this was absolutely splendid.

Big hand from me, Barb! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

And another for your able illustrator! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Epilogue.

The story of Varvara and Adelfi's perils and escapes in Constantinople is based on historical fact.

Constantinople, the great Roman city on the Bosporus that Constantine founded, had outlasted its imperial rival, Rome , by roughly a millennium before it was captured and sacked by the Ottoman Turks on 29 May 1453, after a siege of 53 days. The Ottomans were led by the 21-year old Sultan, Mehmet, who granted his victorious army, as a reward, the traditional 3-day period of plunder ... which according to the sources entailed a "great slaughter of Christians throughout the city" in addition to widespread rape and enslavement. In addition, the city was heavily looted and burned. It's churches were desecrated. Whole districts were left uninhabitable.

At the end of the three-day orgy, the Sultan Mehmet ordered that all looting and violence cease and staged a great "triumph" ... a grand parade of his forces through the city, at the end of which he took Friday midday prayer in Hagia Sophia, the city's ancient domed-church, which he reconsecrated as the mosque, Ayasofya.

As a man of mercurial temperament and substantial, though varied, sexual appetite, his behavior was often unpredictable. And so it is said that on emerging from Friday midday prayer, and catching sight of two Christian women crucified naked outside the Roman Hippodrome, he became incensed. Having earlier proclaimed that all Christians who had avoided slavery could return safely to their homes, he thought the crucifixion of these two women to be a flagrant contradiction of his orders.

He had the two women taken down from their crosses, and had those responsible ... the Captain of the Guard and his two lieutenants brought before him on charges of insubordination.

When the Captain protested that he and his men were in fact carrying out the Sultan's orders and reminded him that these were the very women who had assaulted him in the harem with a bronze shield, and hit him over the head with it, he denied any memory of the incident or of ordering their execution.

The Captain of the Guard and his lieutenants were promptly beheaded.

Little is known then of what became of our two heroines. Rumor has it that they recovered from the ordeal of being publicly flogged and crucified, and became stellar figures in the Sultan's harem, enjoying a privileged life which included their own special sumptuously appointed apartment. It is said the Sultan often went to that apartment, and much to the consternation of everyone at the palace, would not be seen again for days. ;):p:D

Last edited:
So now we seem to be taking people down from the cross alive all over the place. A trend I approve of, of course (and Stan didn't even have to lift a finger). Suffering should be a spiritual growth experience and death renders that beside the point. The Sultan was a truly wise man and deserves all the enjoyment Varvara and Adelfi can bring him and all the gratitude they will no doubt show him;).

It is said the Sultan often went to that apartment, and much to the consternation of everyone at the palace, would not be seen again for days...
Let them stay consternated... I wouldn't be back for days with access to these vixens!!!
harem 001.jpg harem 010.jpg
Harem wardrobe now available at Nailus Martyrs. Harm girls not included...

Great story Barb!!!

It is said the Sultan often went to that apartment, and much to the consternation of everyone at the palace, would not be seen again for days...
Let them stay consternated... I wouldn't be back for days with access to these vixens!!!
View attachment 523922 View attachment 523923
Harem wardrobe now available at Nailus Martyrs. Harm girls not included...

Great story Barb!!!
Cashing in on a good thing? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom