Crime and Punishment in Modern Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com
Magistrates Hearing Room. Central Station, 10:20 AM SST

Jeffrey only managed to quiet Barb by pressing his hand over her mouth and whispering in her ear, “Be quiet! For God’s sake, be quiet! You’ll only make it much worse.”

But it was already too late. The judge, who, in her long career on the bench, had never been spoken to that way, even by hardened criminals, looked a little pale. But soon she recovered and looked to the Deputy and asked, wryly, “Caned last night, Mr. Deputy?”

“That was a matter of jail discipline which Miss Moore and the jail supervisor agreed to keep confidential.”

“Well, it appears that Miss Moore has waived her claim to confidentiality. Do you have more information on this?”

He turned to Koh, who brought a file out of his briefcase. “Yes, your Ladyship.”

“Let me see.”

“Of course, your Ladyship. You will find a complete record of the ‘incident’ and the punishment. In addition, the matron gave Mr. Koh, of our office, copies of confidential reports forwarded to her by the police booking Corporal and the Jail intake manager, as well as the arresting officers. We also have statements of Miss Moore’s behavior in the jail from each of her matrons”

“Those bitches hate me because I’m an American!” shouted Barb before Jeffrey again clamped his hand on her mouth.

Giving Barbara a withering look, the judge responded, “Thank you, Mr. Deputy. I shall review it all. In the meantime, Mr. Hodges, I suggest you instruct your client in courtroom etiquette - though I doubt it will have any effect.”

For the next twenty minutes the judge carefully read the documents in the file while Barb still fumed and Jeffrey worked to calm her down. At one point, the Judge raised her head and asked the Deputy, "She received extra discretionary stroke for foul and hateful language?"

"Yes, your Ladyship," answered Koh

"Not a fast learner, is she?" remarked the judge to the grins of the prosecutors

At last the judge finished the file and returned it to the Deputy. She then ordered Barbara to stand.

“Miss Moore. It seems I have badly misjudged you.” Barb smirked and stuck out her tongue as the Deputy. He looked shocked. When Barb turned back to the judge, she saw what appeared to be an expression bordering on disgust.

“In fact, in my 46 years on the bench, it is possible that I have never misjudged a defendant so badly. Though part of the blame is on not being given the whole story by the Attorney General Chambers,” she glared daggers at the prosecutors table.

“I thought you were an innocent, naïve, and careless tourist.” Barb grinned smugly.

“Instead, I see before me, a woman who freely flouts every law and rule she encounters. Who lies repeatedly, abuses officials of the government for doing their jobs, tries to get innocent parties in trouble and learns nothing from her errors. I also see a visitor who smuggled drugs into this country and ignored customs regulations. A woman who even when faced with just punishment for her crimes, would stoop to disgusting and insulting language to attack this court and indeed our whole system of justice.” Barb’s face fell as the meaning of the words sunk in.

“You appear to have learned nothing from the mild punishment meted out to you by the jail authorities.”

Mild??? thought Barb.

“I, however, have the power to impose a sentence which, even if it doesn’t correct your behavior, will give you something to remember for a very long time!” The tiny woman’s voice had risen with emotion. She paused for a moment to regain her composure. Then she continued.

“I have decided that only a severe punishment may, I say may, teach you a valuable lesson that you badly need.”

Barb began to cry as the judge’s threatening words washed over her. Jeffrey held her arm for support.

“First I will reinstate the charges I just dropped.”

“Your Ladysh…” objected Jeffrey before being cut off by the judge.

“Save your breath, counselor. It is within my right to change any judgment I make while the hearing is still in session. In addition, I will enter an additional charge, Offence of Scandalizing the Court under §7(1) of the Supreme Court of Judicature Act. I have no doubt that her comments directed at this court and these procedures qualify.”

Shit, thought Jeffrey. There was literally no limit on the punishment that a senior judge like Petar-Gisber could impose under that section, even, in extreme cases, capital punishment!

“Barbara A. Moore, I order you to pay to the Republic of Singapore a fine of S$3,000...”

“Oh No!” cried Barb.

“…for each of the five charges for a total of S$15,000!” Barbs head swum as she tried to comprehend such a large fine.

“And, since you expressed a desire for swift justice and resolution, to receive at…” the judge looked at the court clock which read 10:50AM, “…1:30 PM today, four strokes, with the usual discretion, of the #3 judicial cane in Changi Prison…”

“God No!” cried Barb. The #3 judicial must be incredibly worse than the #1 jail cane of last night! How could she stand it?”

“You would do better listen to my whole sentence, Miss Moore,” chided the judge. “Four strokes for EACH charge, a total of twenty strokes of the #3 judicial cane, which I trust will be well laid on.”

Jeffrey gasped at the severity of the punishment.

The judge continued in a strong, threatening voice, “To ensure that you feel sufficient pain and humiliation, you will receive the caning while fully nude in the Public Punishment Chamber. You will then remain in custody for recovery at the discretion of the authorities of the Central Holding Jail, but for no longer than 10 days.”

“Oh God NO!” wailed Barb. Jeffrey held her from collapsing even while he recoiled at the over-the-top sentence.

“Ruling entered without appeal. Bailiff, please have the defendant transferred to Changi Prison, without delay. Court is dismissed.”

The lady pounded her gavel and exited by the door behind her desk.

Last edited:
“Four strokes for EACH charge, a total of twenty strokes of the #3 judicial can, which I trust will be well laid on.”

Twenty!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh Shit!!! :facepalm:

he judge continued in a strong, threatening voice, “To ensure that you feel sufficient pain and humiliation, she will receive the caning while fully nude in the Public Punishment Chamber.

in the nude? In public? :eek::eek:

Oh double shit! :facepalm::facepalm:

“Ruling entered without appeal. Bailiff, please have the defendant transferred to Changi Prison, without delay. Court is dismissed.”

No appeal? :confused:

Infamous Changi prison? :eek:

Oh triple shit! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"Not a fast learner, is she?" remarked the judge

I think this qualifies as a slight understatement.

“Miss Moore. It seems I have badly misjudged you.” Barb smirked and stuck out her tongue as the Deputy. He looked shocked. When Barb turned back to the judge, she saw what appeared to be an expression bordering on disgust.

QED Part I

“I thought you were an innocent, naïve, and careless tourist.” Barb grinned smugly.

QED Part II

Barb’s face fell as the meaning of the words sunk in.

Finally!

The penny drops.jpg

From"
Death Penalty News
Striving for a World without Capital Punishment

Singapore: Harvesting organs from death row "donors"

Published Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Changi Prison Singapore.jpg

In his 12 years of practice, urologist Dr Lim (not his real name) has harvested kidneys from death row inmates a total of 6 times.
As 1 of the 15 doctors in the Ministry of Health's renal transplant team, he is occasionally rostered for duty whenever there are cadaveric kidneys to be harvested.
While most of the kidneys come from brain-dead stroke patients in hospitals, members of the renal transplant team are sometimes required to make a trip to Changi Prison to harvest the kidneys of a prisoner to be hanged.
The harvesting is a voluntary service and doctors do not get paid, he said. If a doctor is not available, he will be replaced by another assigned by a transplant coordinator.
Since hangings at Changi Prison take place on Fridays at 6am sharp, the 2 renal transplant surgeons - a junior and senior doctor rostered - will have to be at the prison by 5.30am.

Not reading ahead, but I wonder if Barb should be concerned?

Next the notorious Changi Prison.
View attachment 756300

index.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for the Barb fate?;)

*Raises both hands and waves*
From"
Death Penalty News

Singapore: Harvesting organs from death row "donors"

Published Wednesday, January 14, 2009
View attachment 756302

In his 12 years of practice, urologist Dr Lim (not his real name) has harvested kidneys from death row inmates a total of 6 times.
As 1 of the 15 doctors in the Ministry of Health's renal transplant team, he is occasionally rostered for duty whenever there are cadaveric kidneys to be harvested.
While most of the kidneys come from brain-dead stroke patients in hospitals, members of the renal transplant team are sometimes required to make a trip to Changi Prison to harvest the kidneys of a prisoner to be hanged.
The harvesting is a voluntary service and doctors do not get paid, he said. If a doctor is not available, he will be replaced by another assigned by a transplant coordinator.
Since hangings at Changi Prison take place on Fridays at 6am sharp, the 2 renal transplant surgeons - a junior and senior doctor rostered - will have to be at the prison by 5.30am.

Not reading ahead, but I wonder if Barb should be concerned?

Uh-oh!

images.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't feel sorry for the Barb fate?
*Raises both hands and waves*
We could take a informal poll on that, but to be fair to Barb, we would have to exclude those who have received demerits from her. I'm afraid that would result in a very small response.

Last edited:
We could take a informal pole on that, but to be fair to Barb, we would have to exclude those who have received demerits from her. I'm afraid that would result in a very small response.

You’re not sticking any pole in me, informally or not. That mean shitbag of a judge ordered a caning, not an impalement! :confused:

We could take a informal poll on that, but to be fair to Barb, we would have to exclude those who have received demerits from her. I'm afraid that would result in a very small response.
I resent that! I came to my fair and considered position on Barb's deserved fate without the slightest thought to any demerits I might have received!

You’re not sticking any pole in me, informally or not. That mean shitbag of a judge ordered a caning, not an impalement!

So far..........

You’re not sticking any pole in me, informally or not. That mean shitbag of a judge ordered a caning, not an impalement!
So far..........
From"

Death Penalty News

Singapore: "Considering" allowing judges to order slow impalement in capital cases rather than long-drop hanging.

Published Tuesday, March 24, 2014

Back
Top Bottom