Go to CruxDreams.com
A tale of punishment and sadistic entertainment for the Roman masses....

PART I

The hostile atmosphere,permeated the hot dusty Arena,situated on the outskirts of Rome,it was smaller than usual,unlike the World-famous Colliseum but the capacity crowd of around 2,400,(mostly honest paying)baying citizens generated a boisterous unpleasant reception for any unfortunate person selected for their gruesome entertainment.....it was a Hellish place to be.

It was getting late in the afternoon,and the hubbub was still quite intimidating no doubt fuelled by copious amounts of Beer, Wine and Breads, together with encouraged loathing towards the condemned no matter what their previous social standing ...
Men and Women were subjected to the sadistic whims of the local hostile populace....
The Roman Emperor Domitian ( A.D.81-96) had also decreed that anybody who followed that False Jewish "Prophet" should be summarily thrown to the Lions and be forced to fend for their lives....!!(albeit,in vain) a truly bloodthirsty spectacle for the masses.....

Currently the sand was soaked in wet and drying blood,evidence of several Gladiatorial combats,some of which involved wild exotic beasts, an unfair contest....neither of which would be a clear victory.
Once the Gladiators had fought,and either lived to fight again,or succumbed to the will of the local Consulate,by his rule of thumb.
There was one more treat in store for the now boisterous spectators....Crucifixion !!

To be continued.....

Last edited:

PART I

The hostile atmosphere,permeated the hot dusty Arena,situated on the outskirts of Rome,it was smaller than usual,unlike the World-famous Colliseum but the capacity crowd of around 2,400,(mostly honest paying)baying citizens generated a boisterous unpleasant reception for any unfortunate person selected for their gruesome entertainment.....it was a Hellish place to be.

It was getting late in the afternoon,and the hubbub was still quite intimidating no doubt fuelled by copious amounts of Beer, Wine and Breads, together with encouraged loathing towards the condemned no matter what their previous social standing ...
Men and Women were subjected to the sadistic whims of the local hostile populace....
The Roman Emperor Domitian ( A.D.81-96) had also decreed that anybody who followed that False Jewish "Prophet" should be summarily thrown to the Lions and be forced to fend for their lives....!!(albeit,in vain) a truly bloodthirsty spectacle for the masses.....

Currently the sand was soaked in wet and drying blood,evidence of several Gladiatorial combats,some of which involved wild exotic beasts, an unfair contest....neither of which would be a clear victory.
Once the Gladiators had fought,and either lived to fight again,or succumbed to the will of the local Consulate,by his rule of thumb.
There was one more treat in store for the now boisterous spectators....Crucifixion !!

To be continued.....
Great start, I really love crucifixion set in Roman times.
I await the continuation of this story with great anticipation.

Last edited by a moderator:

PART I

To be continued.....
Very good, that"s what I like, Roman era, looking forward for following chapters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya before I continue my grisly tale of suffering...I've hit a brick wall :(:(
Does anyone know of the various titles of the people that organise these kind of games ??
Thanks...(I hope)

That's not something I have ever come across. Someone here should know, though.;)

Yes, but I think Baracus is looking for information on who might have been changed on a daily basis for organizing the arena “entertainments”.
It's to do with the people who decided the entertainment announced the acts etc...etc (they've got specific titles...)

Last edited:
what about the toga-clad chap who did the announcements ?? the one who sits amongst the elite ??
There seems to be little information about that topic on the internet. Maybe little of this has been preserved in historic accounts?
Try out with an online translator, perhaps.:confundio1:

Anyway, Baracus, the emperor is displeased that you started a story without doing thorough in depth research first!:devil:
You know the sanction for it on CF : it's made of two pieces of wood and it stands in the arena!:devil:

I look forward to the next episode!;)

In the days of the Republic, the city magistrates - the aediles - were in charge of organising public events including games. Their office gave them the power of life or death, and so would arrive accompanied by the lictors carrying the symbolic fasces.
Later, in the Empire, the 'editor' or 'muneror' was a wealthy private sponsor of such an event, and he or his appointee acted as the master of ceremonies.

The best word I can think of for an announcer would be 'praeco', that was used for the man who made public announcements in public assemblies, courts, auctions etc. so probably appropriate for the games.

The referee was the 'arbiter'.

Muneror (or munerarius) has a complicated history - from 'munus' which originally meant 'a public office, official duty', but came to be used for various public functions including 'state' funerals - and games - so a wealthy guy who puts on such shows is 'munificent', but our 'money' isn't from munus, it's from Old French monneie, Latin moneta, the building where coins were produced - i.e. the mint, which is the same word via a different route.

It's to do with the people who decided the entertainment announced the acts etc...etc (they've got specific titles...)
I believe the sponsor of the games was called a Munerarius ( the guy with the money) or editor.

Just watched a TV program with historian Bettany Hughes about the opening days of the Colliseum; these guys usually know their stuff. The Emperor Titus paid for the games, but he had an 'Editor' as windar and Eulalia say to do the actual organising---in this program the Editor also did the announcing. So since there is doubt about anything better, have an Editor as producer and MC.

Back
Top Bottom