Crucified?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Don't call them 'spades'... Try African-Americans... ever 'Negro' would be better...
It took me some research to grab that (that use of 'spade' is unknown this side of the Atlantic).:confused:

Can't have them in the way of drinking...
They went for a spade....
Could also mean this kind of a break (Spaten = German for spade, but also a famous Bavarian beer)::rolleyes:
spaten.jpg

It took me some research to grab that (that use of 'spade' is unknown this side of the Atlantic).:confused:
I'm aware of it, as a term best avoided, though whether it would cause offence would depend on context.
Obviously from 'black as the ace of...' But of course it's considered a virtue, especially in the north of England,
to call a spade a spade (and not a bloody shovel).

They have nailed her wrists but not done her feet when the damn union crucifixion team went on break...:devil:
Same principle as Arcimboldo's 'Lente' - let her wait, let her sweat!

48lente.jpg

They went for a spade....
Could also mean this kind of a break (Spaten = German for spade, but also a famous Bavarian beer)::rolleyes:
View attachment 450705
It is in known in England...

...Some spade said 'rock and rollers, you're all the same
Man that's your instrument.' I felt so ashamed!!!

-I. Hunter 'All the way to Memphis' performed by Mott the Hoople

It is in known in England...

...Some spade said 'rock and rollers, you're all the same
Man that's your instrument.' I felt so ashamed!!!

-I. Hunter 'All the way to Memphis' performed by Mott the Hoople
I'd never heard that term before either, and I've lived in 5 countries, including the US. Always happy to expand my knowledge. Now what to do with a new racial epithet? :rolleyes: :confused::D

I'd never heard that term before either, and I've lived in 5 countries, including the US. Always happy to expand my knowledge. Now what to do with a new racial epithet? :rolleyes: :confused::D
Me neither...

dig a hole and bury it?

Growing up in the South in the 60s, I occasionally heard the term "spade" used for black people, mostly by folks from my grandparents' generation. I think it was already falling out of favor then. The Urban Dictionary says it was most common in the years after the Civil War. I think the last time I heard it used was by a black comedian.

Back
Top Bottom