Crucifixion: Antiquity, Medieval, Or Modern?

Which crucifixion scenario evokes more emotion?

• Crucifixion of Roman antiquity: Innocent woman is crucified for a crime she did not commit.

• Medieval crucifixion: Innocent Christian woman is crucified by Saracens for not converting.

• Modern crucifixion: Innocent woman is abducted during her travels, sold, and crucified for money.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Go to CruxDreams.com

_CADRE_

Magistrate
Here's a curious thought for the forum. Been working on another short crux story, and have been debating between the following:

1) Crucifixion of Roman antiquity. Innocent woman is crucified for a crime she did not commit.
2) Medieval crucifixion. Innocent Christian woman is crucified by Saracens for not converting.
3) Modern crucifixion: Innocent woman is abducted during her travels, sold, and crucified for money.

Questions/input/thoughts? :devil:

Here's a curious thought for the forum. Been working on another short crux story, and have been debating between the following:

1) Crucifixion of Roman antiquity. Innocent woman is crucified for a crime she did not commit.
2) Medieval crucifixion. Innocent Christian woman is crucified by Saracens for not converting.
3) Modern crucifixion: Innocent woman is abducted during her travels, sold, and crucified for money.

Questions/input/thoughts? :devil:
Interesting poll _CADRE_. Any of these would make a great story, but I voted for #3 because it would make a more scary scenario, it could really happen.....that is what made the movie "Hostel" so scary, I could see it really happening in this crazy world. Also, just ask Barbaria, she went on vacation with her friends, and ended up crucified, (a chronicle of the trip is in one of Tree's great stories):devil:

Last edited:
#3 because it would make a more scary scenario, it could really happen.....that is what made the movie "Hostel" so scary, I could see it really happening in this crazy world.
I kinda feel the same way. Crucifixion was common in Roman times, and though still horrific to its victims, if you weren't hanging on the cross, then it was pretty commonplace. Whereas in modern times, the idea of crucifixion is unheard of. So when she learns that she's going to be crucified, it adds an acute sense of horror to the already devastating psychological effect of being abducted. :eek:

3) modern. Why? - The Roman story, of course is quick to start, little need to explain, but will often run along expectable tracks. The rules are defined, and we have slaves and owners, lictors and legionnaires, and crosses for rebels or traitors. In the modern situation, you can set the rules along with the story. Also it can be a much more individual story. Not the all-crushing might of Empire against one small slave. It might be interesting to develop in the story, that the crucifier is also taking on a risk, to enable this to happen. Notonly the all-crushing power of empire against one victim. For the roman carnifex, it's his job, no question of motive.

Why #1 over #3? I get that the Romans perfected it, to the point of it almost being an art. And who doesn't like a beautiful piece of artwork? But I like what Hondoboot2 said about the psychological effect that it would have on its victim in modern times vice antiquity. Thoughts?

I am equally at home in 1 or 3, and have fantasized and written often on being a victim in modern times. The each have their attractions.

We'll see how the poll ends up turning out; if #3 is the most popular, maybe messaline and barberia take a trip abroad together in my next crux story... ;)

Sounds like fun, where should we go?

I must say I go with modern but not necessarily innocent women. The courts have ruled that 'cruel and unusual punishment' was being interpreted far to broadly and public crucifixions would be far better suited punishment...

Back
Top Bottom