Crux Symbols And Crucifixion In Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
i was not aware of this

i was not aware of this
I wasn't either. It's not part of the album I'm familiar with. After a little Googling, it seems this was the original inner sleeve. It must have been pulled due to controversy and replaced with a plain yellow sleeve. The image does seem to have been used for some advertising.
lawoman2.jpglawoman3.jpglawoman1.jpg
An urban legend seems to claim that the woman is Cher. The legend also says she was "an unknown 18 year old cocktail waitress". The album was released in April 1971, when Cher was 24 and already famous. Maybe it was another Cher.
There is also a claim that it's Jim Morrison on the cross, but the body is clearly female.

yeah, my dad has that album but i suppose you'll never get that in the cd release

There are some videos that you just don't find, these videos find you. This happened to me with the video to the song "Falcos Tochter" by the music formation AUGN.

The lyrics are in German and I will save myself the effort to translate them or to point out every small reference in the video...

But here's what you need to know if you want to follow the song: A young woman has escaped from an asylum and is now walking through town, looking for a sexual partner, since she is horny. She always introduces herself using different names and claims that she is the daughter of 'Falco' (likely referring to the Austrian music legend Falco, who had a very successful music career in the 1980s and 90s until his untimely death in 1998).

Oh, and for some reason she is carrying around a wooden cross. Sadly, the video does not tell us if it is ever put to use...

Yeah I remember Falco - he had a huge hit here in the UK with "Rock Me Amadeus" back in 1986. The first record by an Austrian act to get to No.1 in the UK. He had a couple of follow-up singles but only one of these (Vienna Calling) actually made any impact on the charts, peaking at No.10 and then quickly vanishing without a trace.

Yeah I remember Falco - he had a huge hit here in the UK with "Rock Me Amadeus" back in 1986. The first record by an Austrian act to get to No.1 in the UK. He had a couple of follow-up singles but only one of these (Vienna Calling) actually made any impact on the charts, peaking at No.10 and then quickly vanishing without a trace.

To be honest, I am not sure how successful his songs actually were in non-German speaking countries, but in Austria and Germany, he has definately left an impact on the music scene.

One should not forget to mention his most controversial song "Jeanny". The lyrics are very suggestive without actually telling what is going on. Everything is left to the fantasy of the listener:

And one of my personal favourite songs (at all): "Out of the Dark".

Falco had already had a US hit before "Rock Me Amadeus" with "Der Kommissar", which may have been (I'm not sure about this) the first German language song to become a hit in the US.
An English group name After the Fire recorded a version with loosely translated lyrics that charted higher; but I prefer the German version. Alles klar Herr Kommissar.

One classical work that's not - I think - been mentioned here is the Crucifixus from the Creed in J S Bach's B Minor Mass. That whole work is a bit of a mystery, it's a setting of the Ordinary f the Latin Mass, not something Bach would have been commissioned to provide for the Lutheran church. And it is - for me, at least - a very contemplative work, the finest conductors, soloists, choirs and orchestras may make splendid music with it, but such concert hall performances never seem to capture the real spirit of Bach's setting of the words '(He was) crucified also for us'. This is the most sensitive performance I find on YouTube:

And this - amazingly - brings the classical and metal strands right together in what I think Bach would have applauded! Seriously, it's a very powerful interpretation:

Back
Top Bottom