Death And The Maiden

Go to CruxDreams.com
I do not think we had this one yet. The marvelous sculpture of the tomb of Raffaele Pienovi (1779-1870) at the Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa. Pienovi was a rich entrepreneur in Genova. When he was eighty, after the death of his first wife, he remarried with a girl named Virginia Avrile. She was sixty years younger than him.
After his death, the sculpture for his tomb was made by G. B. Villa. Actually, the central figure is the young widow Virginia, standing next to her husband's death bed. While her left hand holds his right wrist, she lifts up the cover over his head.

There is something ambiguous about it : is she holding his hand and having a last look at his face, or is she ensuring herself he is dead? Anyway, the sculpture spots a moment just before Virginia will be confronted with death (his face being as yet difficult to discern). Also remark the way her long skirt merges with the cover of the dead body!

Virginia Avrile lived for 47 years after her husband's death. She never remarried.

Attachments

• pien1.jpg
    pien1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 62
  • pien2.jpg
    pien2.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 138
I do not think we had this one yet. The marvelous sculpture of the tomb of Raffaele Pienovi (1779-1870) at the Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa. Pienovi was a rich entrepreneur in Genova. When he was eighty, after the death of his first wife, he remarried with a girl named Virginia Avrile. She was sixty years younger than him.
After his death, the sculpture for his tomb was made by G. B. Villa. Actually, the central figure is the young widow Virginia, standing next to her husband's death bed. While her left hand holds his right wrist, she lifts up the cover over his head.

There is something ambiguous about it : is she holding his hand and having a last look at his face, or is she ensuring herself he is dead? Anyway, the sculpture spots a moment just before Virginia will be confronted with death (his face being as yet difficult to discern). Also remark the way her long skirt merges with the cover of the dead body!

Virginia Avrile lived for 47 years after her husband's death. She never remarried.
There are so many beautiful sculptures in the Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa.

Masterpieces of funeral art. Always remarkable and worth for conservation.

A brand new image by the artist jucundus
Old habits die hard :rolleyes:

View attachment 551106

This was him before he....um... lost weight :D

(I'm wondering about letting you guess or figure out the connection between the two pictures.... ;) )
I KNOW WHERE I'M CONNECTED TO HER, ANYWAY. :devil-flip: PERSONALLY, I THINK I LOOK BETTER NOW. I LOOKED QUITE UNWELL BEFORE I LOST WEIGHT. :rolleyes::cool:

Old habits die hard :rolleyes:

View attachment 551106

This was him before he....um... lost weight :D

(I'm wondering about letting you guess or figure out the connection between the two pictures.... ;) )
I KNOW WHERE I'M CONNECTED TO HER, ANYWAY. :devil-flip: PERSONALLY, I THINK I LOOK BETTER NOW. I LOOKED QUITE UNWELL BEFORE I LOST WEIGHT. :rolleyes::cool:

So I am guessing winter is the fault of your early amorous adventures Jolly?

Yes, that hot bath in volcanic ash from Vesuvius just fired you up!
Meanwhile, someone's welcomed you into his library...
death and maiden.jpg

Back
Top Bottom