Deleting

Go to CruxDreams.com
Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to go back to one's postings, even months later, and edit them? I began a story here last year, but it wasn't going as I hoped (my fault, a failure to sketch it out in advance) so I abandoned it. So there it sits an embarrassing half story, fortunately buried way back. I'd like to resume it with substantial reworking or even delete it altgether and start again. Can either of these functions be performed?

Generally that's not possible and if you think about it a bit it's not really desirable either. (everyone going back and changing/deleting their posts as they wish, I mean)

The only people who could do that would be the forum admins; they'll sometimes move posts around if they're more suitable for another part of the forum or might answer a request to delete, where you've accidentally posted something that might have unintended consequences such as revealing personal details etc. or that miht be hurtful in an unintended way.

Anyway, just start over. I don't see how it would be a problem.

Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to go back to one's postings, even months later, and edit them? I began a story here last year, but it wasn't going as I hoped (my fault, a failure to sketch it out in advance) so I abandoned it. So there it sits an embarrassing half story, fortunately buried way back. I'd like to resume it with substantial reworking or even delete it altgether and start again. Can either of these functions be performed?
I suggest, write your story to the finished. After finishing read again and correct or change parts. When you think, now is truly finished, start to post the parts. The limit for one post are 20.000 characters.

I take it you mean 'Slaves of Kareima'? It got off to a good start, I hope you can get it going again, and if you want to make changes to the 2 episodes you've posted, we're here to help. I tend to start my stories rather as you did, I rarely have a clear idea where they'll go or how they'll end - that may be all too obvious, of course! But I don't start posting until I've written a few episodes and feel that it's at least up and running. I suggest you try that kind of approach, writing say three more episodes and see how you feel they're going, then let us know if you want the first two changed (with a message to readers explaining that's happened). Then you could start posting new episodes, while keeping a few steps ahead as you go on writing.

I take it you mean 'Slaves of Kareima'? It got off to a good start, I hope you can get it going again, and if you want to make changes to the 2 episodes you've posted, we're here to help. I tend to start my stories rather as you did, I rarely have a clear idea where they'll go or how they'll end - that may be all too obvious, of course! But I don't start posting until I've written a few episodes and feel that it's at least up and running. I suggest you try that kind of approach, writing say three more episodes and see how you feel they're going, then let us know if you want the first two changed (with a message to readers explaining that's happened). Then you could start posting new episodes, while keeping a few steps ahead as you go on writing.

I think I'll start again. my initial attempt can be left where it is, it's unlikely to be read so far back.
I can only really post lengthy stuff at weekends, so I'll try later this week. Thanks for the advice folks.

Okay - when you start posting the new version, if you remind us, one of us staff could edit a link to the new version into the first post of the old one -
that would guide anyone who happens to find the old one, without drawing attention to it on the homepage.

I suggest, write your story to the finished. After finishing read again and correct or change parts. When you think, now is truly finished, start to post the parts. The limit for one post are 20.000 characters.
Is that how you do it? :oops::confused::D
(I really should learn that method.)

Please don't make a "Titanic effort": please don't stop when you are half way finished....

Back
Top Bottom