DeviantArt

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hey, DeviantArt has had a makeover.
A bit baffling at first, at least to this technophobe -
I fairly soon worked out how to find and do most of what I wanted,
but there are some features of the old site that I can't find so far.
One tip - if you've managed to log in and find you're totally lost,
click on 'Eclipse' on the top bar, it takes you back to the old-style site.

It looks the same on my iPhone. What’s changed?

Oh, it's a whole new look, black background (like here, you can change the theme to white),
new stylish fonts, everything rearranged and not all that easy to find!

View attachment 720196

Hmmmm ... perhaps it doesn’t extend to the iPhone version? I’ll need to have a look on my laptop.

"Eclipse" referred to a "Java development container", but it's old. Maybe they've upgraded the software they use to maintain the site.

Eclipse is a major re-design.. it’s made a lot of DA users furious, and many are threatening to flounce off if the “old” DA is pulled down. I quite like the new look, though they seem to have stripped out a few features that I’ll definitely miss. On the other hand, it’s still a work in progress so who knows. Anyway like @Barbaria1 I’m on mobile (unlike her I don’t even have a laptop that works).. so I can’t see eclipse anyway, for the moment:mad:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/kepler/sr1/eclipse-ide-java-developers

Apparently they have a new version of the "development kit" with a lot of new capabilities. The previous one debuted in 2013. There are probably going to be some bugs in the new code, though. I don't know who runs deviantart or how they make money (if they do), but as "platforms" like mobile phones advance, one has to keep up with the changes. Otherwise you become something akin to an antiquarian bookstore.

And I know a few fine antiquarian bookstores that are bucking the trends ...
But yes, having spend a good few hot hours (in more senses than one) on it,
I'm getting to like the new-style DevArt - Monty's drawings do indeed look even sexier,
and so do the likes of SkatingJesus, Bobinder, Mahashiva and suchlike champion Cruxers.

everything rearranged and not all that easy to find!
I can appreciate the view of those with extensive experience on DevArt, but I must say, I've never spent much time there. Perhaps I'm an old fart (not perhaps, I am an old fart) or a Luddite, but I have never been anything but frustrated there (and not sexually). I have found the user interface opaque with no help or explanation. I spend about 15 minutes each time getting lost, sent down blind alleys and generally unable to find anything. Each new time I go, its back to square one with no idea how to look for something.
Is the new format anymore user friendly?

I can appreciate the view of those with extensive experience on DevArt, but I must say, I've never spent much time there. Perhaps I'm an old fart (not perhaps, I am an old fart) or a Luddite, but I have never been anything but frustrated there (and not sexually). I have found the user interface opaque with no help or explanation. I spend about 15 minutes each time getting lost, sent down blind alleys and generally unable to find anything. Each new time I go, its back to square one with no idea how to look for something.

Keep trying. It helps to be a member and following links posted here on CF can get one started down the right road too. You can also join some groups, or go to “galleries” on the pages of members you know, like mine or Eul’s or Wragg’s for instance, and then on to the pages of artists who’s pics you find in those galleries.

Last edited:
Each new time I go, its back to square one with no idea how to look for something.
I guess any site takes a bit of getting used to.. I personally find DA both easy to navigate and a delight to visit, though I know @Eulalia is always moaning about how difficult it is. If I can help with any specific problems, just ask, otherwise I’d just encourage you to explore and enjoy the art, and pretty soon you’ll be swinging through the galleries like Tarzan :)

Agree, I also send a join request but group is not active, wanted to share some of my pics, then post them with comments :)
I believe 'Cruxinart' is active - Ramon requested some of my pictures for the group a couple of weeks ago.
You could try sending him a message? ;)

Back
Top Bottom