Down a Roman road

Go to CruxDreams.com
It has been awhile since I have posted , here is a quick story using me , as my avatar. Hope you enjoy! Antonius was on his way to the town from his home in the mountains. He had passed this dead tree many times, but in the distance something appeared different! As he got closer, he was shocked to see the naked body of some poor wretch who had been crucified on it. He walked up and examined the girl, thinking how beautiful she was, even tho having been whipped and beaten. He wondered what she had done to deserve this horrible fate, but was relieved that she was already dead. Her suffering was over. With a look back he continued on, thinking what a pity someone so young and beautiful had been so severely tortured to death.

Attachments

• Snapshot_462.jpg
    Snapshot_462.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 377
  • Snapshot_463.jpg
    Snapshot_463.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 350
  • Snapshot_464.jpg
    Snapshot_464.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 337
  • Snapshot_465.jpg
    Snapshot_465.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 378
  • Snapshot_467.jpg
    Snapshot_467.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 409
  • Snapshot_471.jpg
    Snapshot_471.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 465
  • Snapshot_472.jpg
    Snapshot_472.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 451
  • Snapshot_474.jpg
    Snapshot_474.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 411
  • Snapshot_476.jpg
    Snapshot_476.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 384
  • Snapshot_481.jpg
    Snapshot_481.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 382
It has been awhile since I have posted , here is a quick story using me , as my avatar. Hope you enjoy! Antonius was on his way to the town from his home in the mountains. He had passed this dead tree many times, but in the distance something appeared different! As he got closer, he was shocked to see the naked body of some poor wretch who had been crucified on it. He walked up and examined the girl, thinking how beautiful she was, even tho having been whipped and beaten. He wondered what she had done to deserve this horrible fate, but was relieved that she was already dead. Her suffering was over. With a look back he continued on, thinking what a pity someone so young and beautiful had been so severely tortured to death.

Too bad that wordplays are not translateable. A german comedian once said:
Gestorben ist sie mit 18 Jahr´,
just als sie zu gebrauchen war.

Too bad that wordplays are not translateable. A german comedian once said:
Gestorben ist sie mit 18 Jahr´,
just als sie zu gebrauchen war.
That's from the 'Merry Cemetery' at Kramsach in the Tyrol -

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museumsfriedhof_(Kramsach)

not a real cemetery, but a collection of gravestones
by Tyrolese masons with a wry sense of humour -
lots of witty epitaphs like that one - like Connoisseurs says,
they tend to 'drop dead' in translation - this English page gives an idea

https://www.tyrol.tl/en/highlights/museums-and-exhibitions/cemetery-museum-kramsach/

Actually, there's a builders' yard in a town near me where one of the men
makes gravestones with jokey epitaphs like those - I can't remember them offhand,
they're quite funny, I'll check them out....

Last edited:

https://www.tyrol.tl/en/highlights/museums-and-exhibitions/cemetery-museum-kramsach/

makes gravestones with jokey epitaphs like those - I can't remember them offahnd,

Great find! Really cool people. I don´t know the origin of the joke. I´ve heard it in the 70s from a comedian named "Otto".

makes gravestones with jokey epitaphs like those - I can't remember them offahnd,

Boot Hill Cemetery in Tombstone, Arizona mixes some fake graves in among the real ones.

A couple of funny epitaphs are:

Lester Moore (a relation of Barb's?): "Here lies Lester Moore, Four slugs from a .44, No Les No more"

George Johnson: "Here lies George Johnson, hanged by mistake 1882. He was right we were wrong. But we strung him up and now he's gone."

Boot Hill Cemetery in Tombstone, Arizona mixes some fake graves in among the real ones.

A couple of funny epitaphs are:

Lester Moore (a relation of Barb's?): "Here lies Lester Moore, Four slugs from a .44, No Les No more"

George Johnson: "Here lies George Johnson, hanged by mistake 1882. He was right we were wrong. But we strung him up and now he's gone."
The Epitaph from G.J. sounds like a Barbaria story

Good to see you Possum!

Lovely series. Shame about the tree though, how could they let such a lovely thing die? :devil:

Back
Top Bottom