Go to CruxDreams.com
A dream only? She feeds her bird friend. Is she good or evil, or just a product of her experiences, trials, and tragedies? How much control does she have - agent or just a pawn of the dream that gives her power. What will she do when she reaches his cell? So many questions. :)

Maybe something more metaphysical it is both a dream and an event with spiritual and possibly even subtle physical substance. Beware the boundaries of reality here.

Oh for sure you don't; possibly for lack of black-feathered wings and a cruel hooked beak, but maybe this one half-deserves half of what she gets. Anyway, probably she'll end up on a tree. No, not a tree by a brook with a songbird in it.

Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven, Malins ;)

051ab9a7e0d46835472899e594cb04745e35a3-wm.jpg

Maybe something more metaphysical it is both a dream and an event with spiritual and possibly even subtle physical substance. Beware the boundaries of reality here.
Yes there are physical consequences... the boundaries of reality blur a bit but when they refocus, the picture has changed.
s she good or evil, or just a product of her experiences, trials, and tragedies? How much control does she have - agent or just a pawn of the dream that gives her power
She answers the call, goes up the hill and offers herself, and once she does that, she surrenders control. That call in itself ... is a reply to a request of hers. Her wants and needs, that lead to such requests are certainly rooted in experiences, trials and tragedies but she makes choices...
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven
Hmm. My little son has seized control of the stereo (yes we're that old fashioned ;) and, believe it or not, his love for the Mary Poppins soundtrack has recently been superseded by Led Zeppelin. I think his father has been meddling there ;)

Feathers and Blades (3)

She has to squeeze herself sideways and then crouch and finally crawl to get there. Anyone bulky, or anyone wearing armor, would get stuck.

She comes out on all fours, and stands up. A corridor, a shaft leading down from higher that’s blocked by a heavy iron grate. Anyone down here can only ever get up if someone at the top pulls it away and lets down a rope.

This must be the lowest level of the dungeons. Faint, far off and above she hears the footfalls of a guard.

Until now, she has only been watching; it must be dangerous what she’s doing.
She doesn’t feel afraid though – it’s only a dream, isn’t it? She slips into the cell.

The prisoner remains oblivious to his visitor’s presence until cool life-renewing moisture brings him back to the world. At first he takes only tiny sips as she raises the bowl to his lips. Life returns and he swallows greedily. Then he opens his eyes and drinks in the sight of her.

Accustomed to the visitations of guards and torturers, he’s come to associate the presence of other humans with pain and suffering.

Once it was the Count himself who came to taunt, and feast on his misery. Barenaked ladies, not so much. It’s rumored he brings in female captives, or suspects, or sacrifices, or what you may call them, but he doesn’t cast them into the oubliette. He keeps them close until he’s done with them.

He has long pondered his end, it doesn’t surprise him that he’d go feverish and delirious before passing. But he hadn’t expected it to seem so real. That he’d feel so sane while going mad. That he’d know he was seeing things, seeing people who weren’t there.

Now she’s gently washing dirt off his face with more water from the bowl. His eyes have grown used to the dark and he can see her quite clearly. Obviously she’s more worth looking at than the bleak dungeon walls or the remains of rats. He opens his mouth, tries to find words, but she hushes him. Did she even notice how her nipple just brushed against him as she leaned in? And… does she even realize she’s bleeding? It’s running from her left wrist and forearm onto her thigh, coursing inward, slowly dripping, as she squats before him. She seems completely oblivious to it all – her injury, her nudity and where his eyes are going, from the rivulets of blood inwards to the dark triangle of her womanhood. Actually, he can smell her. He feels a bit embarrassed about getting an erection from ogling what must be some merciful angel of death, but then again, he decides, if his cock can still stir at the sight of a woman, maybe he isn’t as far gone as he thought. Which would mean maybe she’s not an angel of death after all.

Maybe she’s some kind of succubus. Though she’s making no attempt to seduce him, it’s just the reality of her so near, so naked, more intense because he’s chained and shackled and can’t even try to touch her. If he retreated closer to where his restraints are attached to the wall, he’d have some freedom of movement, but that would mean backing away from her, and he’s afraid then the vision would disperse and she’d just disappear and so would the quenching of his thirst.

As his conversational experience doesn’t extend to the proper forms of address for otherworldly apparitions, he just croaks a `Thank you` and manages to ask what her name might be and how she got hurt like that.

She regards her bleeding wrist as if she’d been faintly aware of it but not the least troubled.

She says, it’s just she needed to pay her fare. And she gives him the name of the one on the hill, who lies sprawled on her back, offering her heart to rending talons and the slicing beak.

He can’t help but laugh in utter disbelief. Now it’s ridiculous.

For a tiny moment he considers whether they’ve sent her to play games with him, trying to get him out of his mind when he’s not quite gone yet, getting him to confess to the most absurd fabrications, but then they’ve stopped interrogating him a long time ago, and her face is so open and guileless. I guess I’ve gone mad anyway, he concedes to himself.

She sees the confusion in his eyes and tells him – ‘Forget who I am’.

She runs the links of his chains through her fingers, almost reverently, like prayer-beads.

‘Remember only this: I promise, very soon you’ll be free’.

Then she rises, inspects the moldy bread with a wrinkled nose, breaks off the least disgusting part and hands it to him, shrugs with a slightly awkward smile – as if to apologize for not having brought any better food - and turns to go.

If she was real – if she was who she said she was, then of course, it’s not him who’s gone mad.

Then it would be her who’s mad, to venture defenseless into this of all places in the world. But isn't that what they say.​

From the other side it’s quite difficult to find the entry back to the secret passage. A mouse-hole!

Once she’s wormed her way back in, she continues down; it grows very steep, then levels out suddenly, and ascends again. Pitch-black now, she’s feeling her way, but isn’t afraid of getting lost at all. It’s as if with each step more knowledge of the obscure labyrinth is unveiled to her, although she’s sure she’s never been here before.

Obviously a passage like this has to be shielded by more than just secrecy. This part can be flooded with water … or worse. Drowning, boiling. Spikes that can be dropped from above. Impaling. Many traps and points of attack but they are unguarded, even though there is war, even though foes have pitched their tents just outside the range of the catapult and cannon that for now sit idle but ready on their crenellated towers.

Who made this passage, for what purpose?

Is it a secret even to the lords of this castle? Is it used for dark doings by a few lurking amongst them, who are adepts of some forbidden mystery?

Why is she here?

For a promise. Didn’t she make a promise?

Does it bind, a promise made in a dream?

But you can't make a promise to someone sitting alone in the dark and not keep it.

How will she make good on that if she can’t somehow get in again?

So, after raising the last iron grate with the chain, she blocks it. After finding the key to the heavy door, she takes it with her and hides it outside. Then the passage descends for a very long time, the walls rough, it seems to merge into a natural cave. She realizes she must be far away and below the castle now. At the very end it's a partly collapsed tunnel through dirt.

She comes out into the moonlit night from among the roots of an enormous, old, hollowed out tree. It has always marked that exit – once it was planted here as a sapling.

She emerges as if born from soil, crumbs of moist earth in her night-black curls, steps out of the small grove, turns, and looks in awe upon the ancient seat of Ondriscensu rising from the rocks above.

Timeless in its grand height and strength and the multitudes of its towers and fortifications.

Timeless as she marvels, timeless as the gift unfolds, brought by the dark beast that wills itself into whichever shape. A beast she called, knowing its hunger. A beast she gave herself to.

A price to pay, a promise to fulfill. She knows the way. But now she must go back.

She'd wish to stay forever as she is right now.
Forgetting everything, knowing even more.
The bitterness drips away, but the promises still stay sweet.
Being other people's dreams, being nothing, being free, ... but being so very much there!
Feeling every touch, every blade of grass, every crumb of soil as if they were all the world in that instant, but oh! -- All without the hurt, all without the sorrow. Where tears fall with no grief and blood wells with no pain. Serpent, where hides your bite? Is it your poison that makes me so?

“Who goes there?” calls a voice uncomfortably close.

She turns to run but the ground seems to move beneath her, and she falls to her knees.

Feathers and Blades (4)

She bounds to her feet, ready to break into a desperate run, but staggers dizzy with confusion.

On the hilltop again.

A soft wind disperses the cloud of black feathers that enshrouded her, revealing the jewel-studded night sky and the full moon.

Hanging much lower than when she left the tent.

Away too long.

In motionless beauty, pale shimmering in the moonlight, a body lies sprawled in the high, lush grass wet with dew.

Arms outstretched and legs splayed, on her back, head lolling to the side, face obscured beneath a spill of wild dark curls.

That is good, she doesn’t want to look at that face.

One could abandon her.

It’s a tempting wish, to just drift along, drink in the night, go in and out of dreams, and then come what may with the morning.

Drift to wherever spirits pass.

Abandon the flesh.

But then… something else would claim it.

It is disputed property.

She watches the slow rise and fall of that chest.

She assumes the rhythm.

It is her own, now.

She turns her back to the inert form in the grass and looks out to the distance, beyond the black humps of the earthworks, the shrinking pinpoints of firelight, to the silhouette of the fortress barely discernible against the horizon, standing scornful and inscrutable, the high castle of Ondriscensu.

She sets her feet apart so the insides of her ankles touch with the outsides of those of the supine shape in the grass.
She spreads her arms to match the pose, and closes her eyes.
Concentrating on the rhythm of the other one’s breathing and the tingle at the back of her neck, and forgetting everything around her.
Closing her eyes she waits for the moment when her balance becomes unsteady.
Something cries sudden in the night.
Something taken by the silent swoop of an owl.
Digging her toes into the ground to keep herself from falling forward, and then relaxing as she topples backward.

As she drops over the length of the unsouled body, she feels skin against skin, a warm resistance, yielding but then firm, and a sharp crack against her head.

Away too long.

Terror seizes her, is it too late to return?

But then, with searing pain, she sinks in. Oh, mercy!

Air driven out of her lungs, breath ceasing; her bones filled out from inside by the other’s, unknowable pains; her flesh dissolving, melting, mind and memory tumbling down and coming to rest at the bottom of a deep dark well.

She disappears like brine poured through oil to settle beneath, unseen, unimagined, unthinkable... but not unthought of. She will be recalled.

A hundred heartbeats pass on the hill.

In slumber still, Tsilsne rises.

Slow, somnambulant steps carry her down the slope.

Had a guard seen her, he could be forgiven for thinking her feet did not touch the ground.

But she goes unseen.

Look out the window can you see the sky
What color is it can you see the light
And is it raining yet down in the street
And do you talk to everyone you meet

In the light you can disappear without a trace
In the night every shadow seems to burn your face

Sometimes you think that I can be your friend
But then you know I can’t go back again
And yes I’m sorry that I’ve come so far
But being caustic we forget we are

Sad Lovers & Giants, 1982
http://www.sadloversandgiants.net/lyrics.html

You're hearing out the soundtrack of my subconscious, I think! I absolutley do have that on cassette somewhere, I listened to that a lot back in the day, and sometimes phrases just stick with me and resurface when they fit...
Of course in the age of youtube we find everything:

Anyway there are also some deliberate associations I've hidden in the story, that I've hinted at.
Certain visions in the story do connect to a pre-existing invented mythology (it's not Lovecraft though, it's late 19th century) and there's a song to go with that too! (Though it doesn't actually exist. It's an imaginary song...)
And then of course there are the fairytale connections, mostly so with Anrirathu, they don't prefigure exactly what's going to happen with her (especially as the fairytales in the 'Shadow' world might be a bit different...)
...and some religious ideas...

Last edited:
Anyway there are also some deliberate associations I've hidden in the story, that I've hinted at.
Certain visions in the story do connect to a pre-existing invented mythology (it's not Lovecraft though, it's late 19th century) and there's a song to go with that too! (Though it doesn't actually exist. It's an imaginary song...)
And then of course there are the fairytale connections, mostly so with Anrirathu, they don't prefigure exactly what's going to happen with her (especially as the fairytales in the 'Shadow' world might be a bit different...)

Unfortunately, I lack the Anglo-saxon cultural background to fully understand. I'm at ease with Cthulhu, because I'm a role-player. But your story is so elegant and oniric... Made me think about an extra-corporal experience. If I'm right, take care. ;)

at ease with Cthulhu
I've never heard 'at ease' in connection with Cthulhu before ;)
Usually it's shrieking in madness...
Lovecraft himself of course also used pre-existing references...

"Where the mad drummer drools but never misses a beat."

- that percussionist shows up in the Gods of Pegana by Lord Dunsany, Lovecraft picked him up, and so did I...
6079207312_5f5493d5d5_o.png
(Virgil Finlay, illustrating the Lovecraft version)

Feathers and Blades (4)

He wakes up with a start.

An instinct that’s saved his life before, an instinct that has him on his feet before he even knows what it was he sensed.

Hesitant, stealthy movements, someone not wanting to be heard.

Fully awake then, he knows there’s no danger to him… any danger was to someone else.

It’s her. Fumbling at the cord securing the flap of the tent.

He pulls her inside. Her eyes open wide but vacant, pupils dilated, she follows, a pliable puppet.

He eases her into a kneeling position, she sinks and leans her weight against him, right shoulder resting against him, left arm stiff, angled away awkwardly.

He turns up the oil-lamp and that’s when he sees blood all along the left of her body. It has run in dark red rivers along her arm, stained smeared and spattered across her flank, hips, thighs.

Naked and bleeding. Alone in the night. So incredibly vulnerable.

There is surely in this age of the world, he thinks, no woman who has more people willing to follow her, fight and die for her – but just as well – none with more foes lusting for her blood, none with more assassins seeking to stalk and stab. None more than you, Tsilsne.

And then you wander out like this.

Not for the first time he thinks, what in the world am I going to do with you.

He’s seen lots of wounds and lots of blood, so he knows it’s not a life-threatening injury.

He finds the wounds spread from her wrist up halfway to her elbow.
Scratches, coarse ragged cuts and deeper punctures; they seem clean though. Mostly they have staunched, there is only a little blood welling up.

It is a strange map drawn on her wrist and arm.
An undecipherable inscription.
An incantation, a spell scratched into the magic scroll of her tender skin.

As he props her up with some of the cushions scattered about, and begins dressing and bandaging the injuries, the faithful maid, alone now, sleeps on, blissfully unaware.

He knows, if she’d wanted to kill herself she would have cut differently.

In fact, it was not a blade at all that did this.

Certainly not that fiendish dagger she’d got from the Krogan-Zubal’s man.

In his heart a brief but violent stab of jealousy, a white hot jet, at the thought of that man. The barely tolerable mixture of his competence and impudence, daring to brazenly offer such a thing as a gift, that man knowing her on sight so well, it seemed, as to guess how she'd cherish what would make any other woman recoil aghast; knowing of the other gifts exchanged between them, just ... knowing of him knowing her.

That edge, sharp enough to cut a floating feather, it would have sunk to the bone if she’d so much as drawn it across.

This secret though, he knows, is between me and you; the bought Zubali captain has never seen Tsilsne like this.

He's seen many wounds, taken many himself too – if he had to guess, he’d say she had repeatedly hacked at her wrist with a large, sharp nail.

Whatever she did, it has to stop.

This has to stop.

It’s not the first time she has gone out on one of these absences.
Not the first time she’s gone out stark naked.
And not the first time she’s injured herself either.

Still she takes no precaution against her somnambulic episodes and brushes off any mention of them.

How ridiculously easy would it be for an enemy infiltrator to take her!

Over the last year he has replaced all of the guards of the inner circle with men bound in loyalty firstmost to his own person. Though he made those preparations for other reasons, he has hinted to them of such occurrences, and given them firm instruction, for her own safety, to apprehend and deliver her to him whenever she should be found wandering unaccompanied and seemingly not of sound mind.

It is nothing that should ever be known of the Regent Queen of Belquemer in wider circles.

Some have taken to calling her ‘The Mad Queen’, but that is said more with a quaver of fear in the voice, for the sake of the peerlessly gruesome retributions she has been known to take.
It would change to derision if they knew of this.

'Just once. Just this one time.. and then... never again.'

He’s startled to hear her voice, her answer coming so late, with him realizing only now he’d said it aloud to himself… 'This has to stop'.

There’s no tension at all in her muscles although her skin is feverishly hot to touch, her head is lolling as he tries to keep her somewhat upright, her mouth half-open with a thread of drool down her chin, the only sign of sentience being her eyes that try to focus on and follow him, but again and again lose their track and roll back into her head. In fact he didn’t see her mouth move with those words.

... and then... never again.

So, its not over, it’s not finished, whatever you’ve been doing?

Let me tell you, it will never be finished, he thinks.

Because I know what you’ve been doing, he thinks.

Because a man like him, all through the days of being a boy fighting desperate in dusty streets, to a soldier in hobnailed boots, a General of the Gabardine Empire, a mercenary, a captive, hostage, advisor and General again...

... he’s seen a lot of wounds, and taken many too.

Those on the outside and those on the inside.

And a few of them, he may have hacked into himself, just like she does.

You’ve been out wrestling with demons
, he thinks.

And you can only do that alone.

That much, I understand.

Back
Top Bottom