Filtered And Artistic Manips And Pictures Gallery

Go to CruxDreams.com

Jollyrei

Angelus Mortis
Staff member
I thought of putting these into Phlebas' "Great Pictures Found by..." thread, and then I thought that I didn't exactly "find" these pics. Nor are they technically CMCK Results, although they may have started that way.

So what we have here is a pictures made by me and others. I suppose I could have left them lying around where phlebas could find them and post them to his page, but that seemed like a roundabout approach and a lot of trouble.

I suppose my original thought for this thread was that it would be for things like:
  • manips alterred to look like paintings or other art forms (i.e. using photo filters)
  • manips whose subject matter is like a work of art (such as manips where a model is placed into an existing painting, or where the manip is made to look like a painting.
That said, I don't really see anyone doing a lot of curating, so if you make a picture and want to put it somewhere, and think this is a good spot, feel free.

Anyway, I've been playing around with photo filters for some of my other photo work, and thought I'd try it out for fun on some manips that I did a while ago. I rather liked the results, so I thought I would share them with you all and see what you thought.
Galway-01b-prisma.jpg

So what we have here is a pictures made by me and others. I suppose I could have left them lying around where phlebas could find them and post them to his page, but that seemed like a roundabout approach and a lot of trouble.
Anyway, I've been playing around with photo filters for some of my other photo work, and thought I'd try it out for fun on some manips that I did a while ago. I rather liked the results, so I thought I would share them with you all and see what you thought.
View attachment 412656

I think the first one is absolutely brilliant, Jolly, I love it! Really interesting, really effective. I'd put it on the wall if I could get away with it :)
But you're depriving me of the joy of sniffing them out!
(Not really, serve them up here and make my life easier!)

As for the kind of thing to post here, yes, filtered and artistically altered pics, great.
There is another thread which contains
  • manips whose subject matter is like a work of art (such as manips where a model is placed into an existing painting, or where the manip is made to look like a painting.
this one, a mixture of art gallery themes and some of my manips of paintings.
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/art-gallery.2660/

Now, Jolly, tell me about this filter you're using.

I think the first one is absolutely brilliant, Jolly, I love it! Really interesting, really effective. I'd put it on the wall if I could get away with it :)
But you're depriving me of the joy of sniffing them out!
(Not really, serve them up here and make my life easier!)

As for the kind of thing to post here, yes, filtered and artistically altered pics, great.
There is another thread which contains
this one, a mixture of art gallery themes and some of my manips of paintings.
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/art-gallery.2660/

Now, Jolly, tell me about this filter you're using.
Dammit, I thought there was an art gallery page, and I went looking for it, and I didn't find it. :oops::doh:

I'm using fine art filters (mainly for fun) that were made for Prisma (an iPhone app), which I am running through an Android emulator on my computer. Some of the filters are great and let you do things simply that would take much more work in Photoshop.

fascinating how the whole feel and atmosphere of the scene changes in each version -
savage to bleak, blazing to cold, screaming to silent...

Great to see these variations of Sasha. She was a star performer and evidently a favourite of yours, as attested by your signature - looking forward to seeing more.

I thought of putting these into Phlebas' "Great Pictures Found by..." thread, and then I thought that I didn't exactly "find" these pics. Nor are they technically CMCK Results, although they may have started that way.

I suppose my original thought for this thread was that it would be for things like:
  • manips alterred to look like paintings or other art forms (i.e. using photo filters)
That said, I don't really see anyone doing a lot of curating, so if you make a picture and want to put it somewhere, and think this is a good spot, feel free.

View attachment 412656
Van Gogh would have loved this, although he was an ordained clergyman in his early life, so perhaps he might have done something like this in response to his later collaboration with Gauguin?

Great to see these variations of Sasha. She was a star performer and evidently a favourite of yours, as attested by your signature - looking forward to seeing more.
I did not know her name was/is Sasha. Her expressiveness does capture my imagination, yes. :) I got the "model" for the pictures off CMCK here, so I don't think I've actually ever seen one of her full Crux photo sequences. My manips don't all feature her. My "signature" is a crop from a larger manip I did, setting a crux scene to a Leonid Afremov painting.

Van Gogh would have loved this, although he was an ordained clergyman in his early life, so perhaps he might have done something like this in response to his later collaboration with Gauguin?
I keep learning things. I was not aware that van Gogh had been in the clergy. Van Gogh did do some odd things, like this nude squatting over a basin - not a usual figure study.
vanGogh01.jpg
Given that, he may indeed have gone in for crux paintings, if he didn't have to worry about the views of society. I think I read somewhere that Whistler (the chap with the mother), in addition to doing his rather conservative looking paintings, for which he is famous, also created quite a body of erotic paintings which were allegedly destroyed upon his death (presumably to save his reputation as a "serious" artist. We will never know if there was a female crux painting in that now lost trove of work.

I, on the other hand, can't paint (I have a brother who is a reasonably good painter), but I can take photographs and do manips. I let the computer convert things to "paint" form once I've composed my picture.

I'm very pleased people like them - I started doing them as a bit of fun, and to learn more photo processing techniques, but I am quite happy with how they turned out. :)

I did not know her name was/is Sasha. Her expressiveness does capture my imagination, yes. :) I got the "model" for the pictures off CMCK here, so I don't think I've actually ever seen one of her full Crux photo sequences. My manips don't all feature her. My "signature" is a crop from a larger manip I did, setting a crux scene to a Leonid Afremov painting.

I keep learning things. I was not aware that van Gogh had been in the clergy. Van Gogh did do some odd things, like this nude squatting over a basin - not a usual figure study.
View attachment 414751
Given that, he may indeed have gone in for crux paintings, if he didn't have to worry about the views of society. I think I read somewhere that Whistler (the chap with the mother), in addition to doing his rather conservative looking paintings, for which he is famous, also created quite a body of erotic paintings which were allegedly destroyed upon his death (presumably to save his reputation as a "serious" artist. We will never know if there was a female crux painting in that now lost trove of work.

I, on the other hand, can't paint (I have a brother who is a reasonably good painter), but I can take photographs and do manips. I let the computer convert things to "paint" form once I've composed my picture.

I'm very pleased people like them - I started doing them as a bit of fun, and to learn more photo processing techniques, but I am quite happy with how they turned out. :)

Bold experiments often produce surprising results. Having said that, I'm still pushing the limits of basic software, but it's all about having fun. I hadn't seen the Van Gogh figure study before, although it is not untypical of Impressionist bathers (e.g. Degas) and Vincent Van Gogh is not generally associated with nude painting. Whilst he was living and painting with Gauguin, the latter produced a Wayside Calvary scene with a bright yellow crucifix, but I don't think Vincent followed up the theme himself.

I was also unaware of Whistler's erotic work. Considering the popularity of the nude in Victorian art, these pictures must have been considered most offensive to suffer such a fate - how unfortunate that is.

Sasha was one of Makar's models and did a woodland sequence with Lena, during which both gave great performances. Here she is. Looking forward to more of your work. Regards, B

Sasha.jpg Sasha crucified.jpg Sasha & Lena.jpg

New manip: Four women crucified facing the wood. I used one of my own photographs of the Alberta badlands as a background. I think it works reasonably well for a scene of four rebellious slaves. They may have been crucified "facing the wood" out of some sense of modesty prevalent in their society, or to heighten the humiliation, forcing them to mount the cross.
FourGirls01ab.jpg

Working with photo filters, the mood of the image can be changed. The software I'm using seems to crop the picture by default. I have yet to figure out how to make it use the full image. It seems to "prefer" square pictures.
Prisma06b.jpg Prisma06c.jpg Prisma06f.jpg

New manip: Four women crucified facing the wood. I used one of my own photographs of the Alberta badlands as a background. I think it works reasonably well for a scene of four rebellious slaves. They may have been crucified "facing the wood" out of some sense of modesty prevalent in their society, or to heighten the humiliation, forcing them to mount the cross.
View attachment 415523

Working with photo filters, the mood of the image can be changed. The software I'm using seems to crop the picture by default. I have yet to figure out how to make it use the full image. It seems to "prefer" square pictures.
View attachment 415524 View attachment 415525 View attachment 415526
I think the monochrome one has something, Jollyrei...

Back
Top Bottom