Filtered And Artistic Manips And Pictures Gallery

Go to CruxDreams.com
Since Bob has recently very kindly included me in a commentary of manip artists, I felt I really should try to contribute something once in a while again. I really do admire the skills of so many people here, and you all provide me with incentive to improve my own skills, or at least not to totally embarrass myself.

It was also noted that many of the fine manip artists here have, at one point or another, created a manip using the "Ecce Homo" painting by Antonio Ciseri. I thought I would make my own attempt at joining that society, and so here is my version. I call it "Ecce Emma".
View attachment 668631
EEEE! By Ecce! :clapping::clapping:

It was also noted that many of the fine manip artists here have, at one point or another, created a manip using the "Ecce Homo" painting by Antonio Ciseri. I thought I would make my own attempt at joining that society, and so here is my version. I call it "Ecce Emma".
You did a fine job, Jolly.
I think most of us have simply replaced the figure of Jesus, but you have inserted two figures, which is a novel interpretation. One looks into the picture and is fully involved with the characters, and the other looks out, engaging the viewer (none of the original characters does this.) The foreground captive helps to add depth to the scene, without distracting us from the action surrounding Emma.

I know you admired this pose of Emma, and you have blended her into the picture very effectively. She preserves her modesty from our eyes in this delightful rear view, whilst facing the mob, and glancing defiantly at Pilate's gesturing. Of course the mob sees somewhat more of her than we do, although they are largely denied her attractions from the waist down.

Emma appears small and vulnerable, but her presence dominates centre stage.
She is performing her role according to the script - and she knows where this is going.
Well done, and welcome to the 'Ciseri Society'. :)

The Order of Release

Another manipulation, based on Antonio Ciseri's 1880 painting, 'Ecce Homo'. This one has an accompanying text which appears in the thread, 'Short Crux Stories' - http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/short-crux-stories.6883/post-433183

The background is a composite of a full-width canvas of the painting, plus my background to a previous Ciseri manip, adjusted for scale and blended into the centre with appropriate colour adjustments. I did this because the previous manip already had the figure of Jesus deleted by digital overpainting, but it was a cropped version of the picture. This way, I had a complete, fresh canvas to work on.

The inserted model is identified as 'Leonilla' by JohnGoodStudio, who recently published her pictures on DevianArt. He states that she is an employee of the hotel where the session was photographed. Indeed her figure might be described as that of an ordinary looking girl, rather than presenting the ideal model proportions we might otherwise expect.

Since I was intending to create an incongruous picture, I felt that her natural looks made a good contrast with the more serious, idealised figures in the classical setting. And so, she makes a visual impact with her broad-hipped, small-breasted form, and her jubilant pose and expression.

After scaling her for the scene, I made numerous colour and contrast adjustments to get her to look as though she belonged in the painting. The final blending treatments in Photoshop included a small application of 'smudge stick' to match the brushwork of the painted figures, as well as dodging, burning and digitally painting her highlights and shadows to suit the lighting conditions of Ciseri's painting.

The Order of Release 2.jpg

The Order of Release

Another manipulation, based on Antonio Ciseri's 1880 painting, 'Ecce Homo'. This one has an accompanying text which appears in the thread, 'Short Crux Stories' - http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/short-crux-stories.6883/post-433183

The background is a composite of a full-width canvas of the painting, plus my background to a previous Ciseri manip, adjusted for scale and blended into the centre with appropriate colour adjustments. I did this because the previous manip already had the figure of Jesus deleted by digital overpainting, but it was a cropped version of the picture. This way, I had a complete, fresh canvas to work on.

The inserted model is identified as 'Leonilla' by JohnGoodStudio, who recently published her pictures on DevianArt. He states that she is an employee of the hotel where the session was photographed. Indeed her figure might be described as that of an ordinary looking girl, rather than presenting the ideal model proportions we might otherwise expect.

Since I was intending to create an incongruous picture, I felt that her natural looks made a good contrast with the more serious, idealised figures in the classical setting. And so, she makes a visual impact with her broad-hipped, small-breasted form, and her jubilant pose and expression.

After scaling her for the scene, I made numerous colour and contrast adjustments to get her to look as though she belonged in the painting. The final blending treatments in Photoshop included a small application of 'smudge stick' to match the brushwork of the painted figures, as well as dodging, burning and digitally painting her highlights and shadows to suit the lighting conditions of Ciseri's painting.

Two comments.

IMHO the small breasted, broad hipped girl looks like she would be improbably fun in bed. :very_hot:

And for the first time I noticed that Cersi's Pontius Pilate is having a Princess Di moment. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BE835529-6FDB-4D14-9A4C-89098B9F7FF2.jpeg
    BE835529-6FDB-4D14-9A4C-89098B9F7FF2.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 6A4A819D-D6B3-4C47-AF2B-AE3E14A75D3B.jpeg
    6A4A819D-D6B3-4C47-AF2B-AE3E14A75D3B.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 23D74031-E8BA-4236-BC5E-0792C952F1EC.jpeg
    23D74031-E8BA-4236-BC5E-0792C952F1EC.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 281

Attachments

• 07076AFD-07FE-4DB4-93E5-DB8B3283B689.jpeg
    07076AFD-07FE-4DB4-93E5-DB8B3283B689.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 278
  • D520D149-5299-4722-AEBF-A57BC201F331.jpeg
    D520D149-5299-4722-AEBF-A57BC201F331.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 336
For Easter 2019, an oil painting featuring some new models. (Thanks to Connaisseurs for finding the chained girl.)

Waiting her turn.
I don't recognise the original painting. I believe it is a deposition scene, judging by the torchlit figures carrying the body down the hill. The large building suggests the Jerusalem Temple in the background. I think you have inserted the three Romans, two crux figures and the chained captive. Together they present a composition which draws our attention to the left foreground, and the impending drama about to unfold there.

The lighting of the painting is curious - it looks like moonlight. At any rate, it is suitably dark for the theme portrayed. Your lighting is effective on the new figures - the shady Romans silhouetted, like the crosses, against the sky, and selective highlights on the crucified figures, as well as the one about to be crucified.

This treatment is quite dramatic in the case of the captive chained in the foreground, with yellow highlights complementing the torchlight. She is the focus of our attention as the legionaries gaze towards her from left, right and centre, and the cross looms patiently behind her. The atmosphere is one of unhurried inevitability, but also of fearful anticipation, and it is intensely foreboding.

Nice work, Jolly. :)

I don't recognise the original painting. I believe it is a deposition scene, judging by the torchlit figures carrying the body down the hill. The large building suggests the Jerusalem Temple in the background. I think you have inserted the three Romans, two crux figures and the chained captive. Together they present a composition which draws our attention to the left foreground, and the impending drama about to unfold there.
I have to confess, I did not pay sufficient attention to the painting's proveniance or the artist. Now that I have done a search, it seems to be a painting by a Russian artist from 1884, called "Night on Golgotha", and the artist seems to be someone named Vasily Petrovich Vereshchagin. Not someone I had ever heard of before. In any case, the original painting included the three crosses, two of which had the "thieves" still crucified. The centre, empty cross was empty, as Jesus' body would be with the people heading down the hill. I inserted the 3 Romans and the female figures, replacing almost entirely the cross on the left of the painting, and placing a different figure on the cross on the right.
Original painting:
Easter2019.jpg

The girl in chains at the front is the focal point of the piece, and the implication is perhaps that the cross in the centre is hers, especially considering the way the Roman in leather armour is looking at her. In any event, I thought that the people leaving the hill provided a sense of her being alone and without help or support, abandoned to the men on the hill, awaiting her fate.

Thanks for the commentary. I felt I was getting the blend right. I used a light "oil paint" filter to blend the crucified girls into the texture, while hopefully leaving enough detail to make them interesting. The Romans were similarly blended and made somewhat darker so that they contrasted with the girl in the foreground. The chained girl is the only imported figure that is not significantly altered by me (a bit of colour and contrast adjustment, but no filtering).
Here's the original girl:
Slave-chained01.jpg

If it's got the anticipation and foreboding, then I feel I've done my job there. :)

Sometimes, it is preferable indeed to insert a character not yet crucified in this kind of scene : it reinforces the drama and makes the imagination working ...
Good idea, jolly and also good realisation ! :clapping:

it reinforces the drama and makes the imagination working
How very true! :)

Late to the party, missed some dark, ominous, and excellent manips from Jollyrei! :doh: :)

Back
Top Bottom