Filtered And Artistic Manips And Pictures Gallery

Go to CruxDreams.com
Painting called "Faithful Unto Death" by Herbert Gustave Carmichael (born Schmalz). This was found by a friend who is not "crux-interested". His question upon posting was, "is anyone really thinking "brave martyrs dying for their faith" when they look at this painting?" I had to say, no, or certainly not just about that, but it did influence me to think quite carefully about it. ;):) It is, after all, a rather nice painting.
Schmalz-Arena01.jpg

It is, after all, a rather nice painting.

Nope.

One's thoughts are entirely religious.... :rolleyes:

(I'm sure you believe me, Jollyrei. You do, don't you?)

Painting called "Faithful Unto Death" by Herbert Gustave Carmichael (born Schmalz). This was found by a friend who is not "crux-interested". His question upon posting was, "is anyone really thinking "brave martyrs dying for their faith" when they look at this painting?" I had to say, no, or certainly not just about that, but it did influence me to think quite carefully about it. ;):) It is, after all, a rather nice painting.
View attachment 518893
I say "kill them all and let their gods sort them out!!!!"

View attachment 518893
It is an inspiring picture, Jolly, and a good example of the erotic interpretation of a religious theme.
I am sure I have seen it used as a background in more than one manipulation.

Like his friend, the Pre-Raphaelite painter William Holman Hunt, Schmalz/Carmichael (he changed his name after the First World War) visited the Holy Land, seeking inspiration for New Testament-themed paintings. But he also drew on classical and mythological references, including Pygmalion and Galatea -

Herbert_Schmalz_-_L'Eveil_de_Galatée.jpg

I think my own pictures sometimes convey a certain affection for the subject, and the Pygmalion reference of the artist falling in love with his subject is a direct allusion to this idea in erotic art.

Well, for me, 'Faithful unto death' is an interesting and moving painting -
not great art (did he change his name because it was to Schmaltzy? Or was Schmaltz named after him? :p),
but (like some of our best artists - you Bob, Jedakk, SJ come to mind)
there's a thoughtful, even loving, attention to the expressions and body-language of the girls,
who aren't in states of religious ecstasy, nor abject terror, but coping more or less well, in varied,
very human ways, dare I say like real women would, when facing the worst that men can do to them?

View attachment 518893
"Brave martyrs"? I'm not so sure about that. The central two could be described as brave. Number 3 (reading left to right) is standing stoically and number 4 is praying. But, number 1 is crying, number 2 is on the ground with her head down (could be resignation or fear). Number 5 has fainted. Number 6 seems to be resisting being tied and number 7 is terrified.
I would say that all of these could be realistic reactions to impending doom.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 316
Slave punishment.
View attachment 539834

It's a bit of an experimental manip, using only painted figures and backgrounds (no photograph). I'm not quite sure I've got it yet - some more blending might be good - but I think the idea is sound.
Maybe Repertor think so:
Jolly Paint.jpg Jolly Paint2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom