Flogged for Her Country

Go to CruxDreams.com
And von Haynau, after crushing the Hungarian rebellion, retired from the Army and, in October 1850, decided to visit London. Stories about his behavior had appeared in the British press and public opinion was greatly inflamed against him. Palmerston, the British Foreign Secretary, urged him to trim his distinctive mustache before venturing out into the streets, but von Haynau refused.

Passing the Barclay and Perkins Brewery, he was recognized by some of the workers, who, offended by von Haynau’s flogging of women and oppression of Hungarian workers, proceeded to beat him in the street. A plaque marks the spot.

Von Haynau seems to have sported a distinctive moustache indeed ::confused:

haynau.jpg

OK, ladies, you all like whine. Oh, did I add an extra letter by mistake? :llorona:

Does not happen if you drink beer! No such a thing as 'to bheer'!:Saeufer:

I suppose it's not a co-incidence that Mood Pictures/Elite Pain are Hungarian...

Just a further epilogue. Benjamin Butler, the Union General who occupied New Orleans during the US Civil War, was compared by Southerners to von Haynau, which is rich, considering that Southerners were fighting for the right to keep on flogging female slaves as they had done for a couple of centuries.

Funny you should mention this. I was working on a story a few years ago inspired by Benjamin Butler's notorious General Order No. 28, which he issued in 1862 in New Orleans when he was the Union general occupying that city. The Confederate women there were extremely hostile to the Union troops, showing their contempt by spitting on them, hitting them, mocking and insulting them, etc. The order stated that any woman insulting or showing contempt for a Union soldier in any way was to be "treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation."

The order outraged Southerners and the international community. My story took it a step further of course, and involved a woman who was is accused of dumping a chamber pot over an officer (also based on a true story.) Butler orders her to be
publicly flogged.

And in order to increase her humiliation he has a black, ex-slave Union soldier do it.

whipping 51.jpg

I was unaware of the von Haynau story, or the connection to Butler. Very interesting.

Unfortunately, in one of my cyclic fits of Puritanism I deleted the story before I finished it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom