For the Love of Alicia

Go to CruxDreams.com
I stood and swore, cursing my bad luck. Alicia, on the other hand, moved like greased lightning. She leaped into the stream, grabbed the sword and threw it to me, and I snatched it out of the air just in time to run the first Roman through his neck, he pretty much ran onto my sword. As I engaged more Romans, I was aware that Alicia had got hold of the first Roman’s sword, and was putting it to good use beside me. She’d killed another one while I was still fencing.

We had two advantages. The first was that the Romans had never fought a beautiful, naked, sword-wielding woman before, and didn’t really know what to make of her. That uncertainty was already proving fatal for them.

The second was that they had evidently been given strict instructions to take us alive, and that was hampering them somewhat.

They did have one tiny little thing going for them, however. They outnumbered us by at least twenty to one. And so things got rather exciting. It quickly became clear that our only chance of avoiding capture was to be killed. And I was determined not to do so before Alicia lay safely dead.

But Alicia was resolutely refusing to die. And, even though about five Romans lay dead or dying, we were quickly being surrounded.

I was far too busy to kill her myself. Things were not looking good.

I felt something whistle past my ear, and one of the Romans I was fighting fell dead, with an arrow through his right eye. Which was odd, given that we had no arrows.

The other Romans turned tail and fled, hotly pursued by about fifty shrieking warriors, and Alicia and I stood, panting for breath, and more than slightly bewildered.

“Well,” I panted. “Now I know how you felt this morning. I thought we’d had it there!”

She didn’t reply, but just stood looking gorgeous. She’d got a small cut on her right shoulder, apart from that she was unharmed.

“Well fought!” I added. She smiled and nodded. “Thank you!”

I took her in my arms and kissed her. Ye gods! This woman had captured my heart like none before her! I simply could not imagine living without her! She melted into me, and I felt myself becoming aroused again.

“Ahem!” said a slightly embarrassed voice behind me. I turned and looked at a tall, warpainted individual, who looked both very scary and rather important.

“Hello!” I said. “I’m Scaevola, and this is Alicia.”

“Delighted to meet you. I am Chief Jollyrei of the Leuni.”

I bowed to him, conscious that we were still naked, and that I now had a full blown erection, thanks to Alicia. “Do I have you to thank for saving our lives?”

“The Romans obviously don’t like you. Therefore, you must be our friend! Please! Come back to our village and eat! Stay the night!”

I decided that Jollyrei was a very nice chap. I figured that the Romans probably wouldn’t be back today, so as long as Alicia and I got moving first thing tomorrow, we should be OK. And food and a good night’s sleep would help, assuming that Alicia would allow me to sleep. I accepted with gratitude.

“But we’ll have to get moving tomorrow at first light, or we’ll bring half the Roman army down on you!”

“Doubt it. These woods are unlucky for the Romans!”

“So I see. Well maybe, but we could be unlucky for you. Um, do you mind if we put some clothes on?”

He looked at Alicia slightly wistfully, but nevertheless said, “Please, go ahead!”

We dressed quickly, and accompanied him to the village, which consisted of a good number of huts gathered within a pallisade fence. There was a rich smell of cooking, and women worked while children played. It seemed as though Jollyrei and his people lived a perfect rural life, the only problem being the Romans from the nearby city.

“How many people live here, Jollyrei?” asked Alicia.

“About 200, all told. I field about fifty fighting men.”

“I do hope there aren’t…. repercussions for your help today?” I wondered.

“Doubt it. We’ve been skirmishing with those buggers for years. They know they’re not welcome here.”

His troops gradually returned, having chased the Romans clean out of the forest. One, tall and lean, and the only one mounted, seemed to be in charge, answering only to Jollyrei. When she saw him as he dismounted, Alicia startled me.

“Bobinder!” She sprinted over to him and threw herself into his arms. I felt a pang of jealousy.

They hugged and kissed, evidently they’d known each other for years.

“Scaevola!” She called me over. “Come and meet Bobinder!”

I went over and greeted him.

“You’re her lover.” It was a statement of fact.

“We’ve had a very short but intense relationship.” I admitted.

“If you harm her,” he drew his sword part way out of its sheath, “I will kill you.”

“It is my life’s work, from now on, to protect her,” I assured him. “The Romans, unfortunately, have other plans. May I ask, what is she to you? You are clearly very fond of her.”

Alicia laughed. I realised, with a shock, that was the first time I’d ever heard her laugh. I rather liked it.

“Bobinder is my big brother!” she chortled. “No need for fisticuffs! Unless you mistreat me!” she winked. “We grew up in the city, as slaves. He got away, where I didn’t, and came to join Jollyrei. I haven’t seen him for nearly ten years!”

“I tried to find you…” he began.

“My master barely let me out of his sight. He used me as a sex toy.”

Bobinder looked furious. I can look after myself, but I eyed Bobinder with respect. I didn’t fancy my chances if I pissed him off. “Where is he? I will kill him!”

“You can’t,” I said. “Alicia already did. That’s why the Romans are after her.”

Bobinder digested this information, then picked Alicia up and swung her round and round. She giggled with delight, as did Bobinder. “That’s my girl!” he laughed.

So it was that we all relaxed, and we settled down to enjoy their hospitality. Jollyrei was an excellent host, and we spent the evening drinking and feasting, celebrating having given the Romans a bloody good hiding. When they heard how I’d single handedly rescued Alicia, I got some respect, but most of them had eyes only for Alicia. I kept her close by my side, though none of them had any more wish to fall foul of Bobinder than I had.

Eventually, we settled down for sleep. And, yes, before you ask, Alicia and I made love again, after which we fell into a deep, untroubled sleep in each other’s arms.

I awoke with a start. Bobinder was shaking me. It was barely dawn. “We’ve got trouble!”

I jumped out of bed, as did Alicia, and we threw our clothes on. “What’s up?” I asked.

“Romans!” He replied. “Hundreds and hundreds of them!”

To be continued
Good fighting and a good episode! In the upcoming episode I hope the whole village will be crucified, a just punishment for defying Roman rule! :)

“Delighted to meet you. I am Chief Jollyrei of the Leuni.”
Sorry, the who?:confused: Oh, right, the Leuni. :rolleyes::cool::D

We paint ourselves before battle, or before going anywhere really, and we have arrows.:cool:

“The Romans obviously don’t like you. Therefore, you must be our friend!
And we're rather trusting, especially since the only people we hate more than the Romans are probably the fucking Judean People's Front! :rolleyes::mad::cool::D
Mind you, I suspect that if you betray us, I shall be very cross indeed.:mad: Did I mention the arrows?:cool:

I decided that Jollyrei was a very nice chap.
Well, quite.:firedevil:

“If you harm her,” he drew his sword part way out of its sheath, “I will kill you.”

“It is my life’s work, from now on, to protect her,” I assured him. “The Romans, unfortunately, have other plans. May I ask, what is she to you? You are clearly very fond of her.”

Alicia laughed. I realised, with a shock, that was the first time I’d ever heard her laugh. I rather liked it.

“Bobinder is my big brother!” she chortled. “No need for fisticuffs! Unless you mistreat me!” she winked. “We grew up in the city, as slaves. He got away, where I didn’t, and came to join Jollyrei. I haven’t seen him for nearly ten years!”
I like you Scaevola. May I revise my previous statement? If you betray us, I shall be very cross indeed, and if you harm Alicia, who is (apparently) the sister of my right-hand man, Bobinder, he will be extremely cross. Otherwise, everything is completely fine, you understand. Drink?:Saeufer::drink9:

So it was that we all relaxed, and we settled down to enjoy their hospitality. Jollyrei was an excellent host, and we spent the evening drinking and feasting, celebrating having given the Romans a bloody good hiding.
Bloody Romans!!:ura::partyhat::rambo1::hambre::guitar:

“Romans!” He replied. “Hundreds and hundreds of them!”
Dammit! Not your fault Scaevola, old boy.:doh: Bobinder! I am very, very cross!! Where is my sword?:starwars-smiley: I hate fighting before breakfast.:mad::mad::mad: Same plan as last time, lads. Everyone bash someone until there's nobody left to bash. Archers to the palisades. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, or close the wall up with our Leuni dead!!

Good fighting and a good episode! In the upcoming episode I hope the whole village will be crucified, a just punishment for defying Roman rule! :)
Not if I have anything to say about it (which I really don't :rolleyes::confused: ). I have this feeling that my character would rather die fighting.
Also, whose side are you on? (As Barb might say).

“Bobinder is my big brother!” she chortled.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother. :D

Alicia-Bobinder-ftloa1.jpg

Sorry, the who?:confused: Oh, right, the Leuni. :rolleyes::cool::D

We paint ourselves before battle, or before going anywhere really, and we have arrows.:cool:

And we're rather trusting, especially since the only people we hate more than the Romans are probably the fucking Judean People's Front! :rolleyes::mad::cool::D
Mind you, I suspect that if you betray us, I shall be very cross indeed.:mad: Did I mention the arrows?:cool:

Well, quite.:firedevil:

I like you Scaevola. May I revise my previous statement? If you betray us, I shall be very cross indeed, and if you harm Alicia, who is (apparently) the sister of my right-hand man, Bobinder, he will be extremely cross. Otherwise, everything is completely fine, you understand. Drink?:Saeufer::drink9:

Bloody Romans!!:ura::partyhat::rambo1::hambre::guitar:

Dammit! Not your fault Scaevola, old boy.:doh: Bobinder! I am very, very cross!! Where is my sword?:starwars-smiley: I hate fighting before breakfast.:mad::mad::mad: Same plan as last time, lads. Everyone bash someone until there's nobody left to bash. Archers to the palisades. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, or close the wall up with our Leuni dead!!

Not if I have anything to say about it (which I really don't :rolleyes::confused: ). I have this feeling that my character would rather die fighting.
Also, whose side are you on? (As Barb might say).
I don't know what he does to the Romans, warpaint and all, but by God he scares me! :eek:

He ain't heavy, he's my brother. :D

View attachment 555482

That's one fine beard! Can you have beard envy? :confused:

I went to the gate, with Jollyrei, Bobinder, and Alicia. Surrounding the village were more Roman soldiers than I’d ever seen in my life.

“I am Jollyrei, Chief of this Village! What do you want?”

An officer, sat on a white charger, replied. “I am Marcellinus, Primus Pilus of this cohort! Tempting though it is to wipe out this troublesome village, I ask one thing and one thing only. That you give us, alive, the woman named Alicia, and the man named Scaevola, in order that they may face Roman justice. If you send them out, within the hour, we shall leave you in peace. If you do not, we shall burn your village down, and put every man, woman, and child to death! I trust that is clear!”

Bobinder, furious, made as if to speak, but Jollyrei restrained him. “Yes, thank you, that is very clear!” he called. “We will respond within the hour!”

Alicia was distraught. “Chief Jollyrei! I am so sorry! I have brought so much trouble upon you all! Now I shall have my own brother killed!”

“Shush, child, let me think!” Jollyrei held up his hand.

I looked around. The village was completely surrounded. I cursed myself. I had no idea that the Romans could raise this many troops so quickly. It seemed that this time they wanted to make certain there was no mistake. In a way, I felt quite honoured.

“Are you able to get reinforcements?” I asked.

“Not quickly enough,” grunted Jollyrei.

“Chief, I am not about to stand by and let them take my own sister!” Bobinder was belligerent. “You do know why they want them alive?”

“I am not a fool, Bobinder.”

I spoke slowly, my apparent calmness not betraying the fact that my heart was beating furiously. “I’m… afraid that Alicia and I seem to have two choices. We could be crucified, just the two of us, outside the city, or we could be crucified here with the whole village.” I made it sound as though we were planning a Sunday afternoon picnic.

“You do NOT have just that choice!” Bobinder exploded. “We will crucify those Romans, not the other way around!”

“Bobinder.” Jollyrei hadn’t got to be Chief through such hot headedness. “There are at least a thousand Romans out there. There are fifty of us. We wouldn’t last five minutes. Do you want to see your wife and daughters on their crosses? Scaevola is right. We have to let them go.”

Alicia took a step towards the gate. I grabbed her arm.

“It’s me they want!” she cried. “Let me go!”

“They won’t go without both of us, and well you know it!” I turned to Jollyrei and Bobinder. “Thank you both for all you did yesterday, and for an excellent evening. Now it seems that we must take our leave. Bobinder, I’m truly sorry. I shall try my best, but I cannot promise that Alicia will not come to harm.”

Alicia and Bobinder clung to each other, weeping bitter tears. I remembered her laughter yesterday. Would I ever hear her laugh again?

After a few minutes, they kissed one final time. Hand in hand, we walked out through the gate towards the Romans.

“Thanks for everything, Alicia.” I hissed. “Thank you for loving me. Now I shall kill you, and then me. OK?”

She nodded, and I drew my sword.

“STOP!” bellowed Marcellinus. “If you touch her, I shall crucify this entire village!”

I held my sword to her throat. “Your call, Alicia.”

We stood for a moment. My heart was hammering in my chest. “Drop it,” she said. “We must have courage, my love.”

“They will crucify us!”

“I know. I know. Drop it, my darling.”

I let the sword clatter to the ground.

Marcellinus grinned with satisfaction. “Very wise,” he commented. “Now strip.”

We stood, between the village and the waiting Romans, and undressed. Then, and only then, did Marcellinus send troops forward to us.

In moments we were both bound, hand and foot, captured without a fight.

Marcellinus dismounted, stepped forward and kicked me in the balls. I doubled over in agony, my face meeting his knee as I did so.

“That,” he said, “was for my friends that you killed.”

“Let her go!” I asked, as the blood streamed out of my probably broken nose. “It was my doing, not hers!”

He punched me in the belly. “Let me remind you that she is a convicted criminal. My orders are to return you both to the South Gate, where you are to be crucified. Take them!”

They threw us face down over the back of a horse. It may have been the recaptured merchant’s horse for all I know. They tied our wrists and ankles under the horse’s belly, and we began our dismal journey back towards the city. On the way I noticed the hoof prints we’d left on our way through the forest. They’d had no problem tracking us.

“It’s my fault,” she said. ”I should never have let you fuck me. I thought it would be nice to have one good shag, with someone I really loved, before I died.”

“It was a great shag….” I suggested.

“Yes, it was, but not great enough to be worth crucifixion. I should have just killed myself while I had the chance. I just wasn’t brave enough. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”

“I wouldn’t have….” I began.

“SILENCE!!!” roared a guard, and thwacked us across our exposed buttocks with the flat of his sword.

That bloody hurt, but I knew I had worse to come. So I shut up, and lay there contemplating crucifixion.

Call me stupid, but in my arrogance it had never occurred to me that I might be crucified. I was a gladiator, a warrior, even after I was freed I’d thought I would still die in some battle or another. I’d expected a hero’s death, not the lingering humiliation of the cross.

Even as I’d rescued Alicia, the risk of crucifixion was not high in my mind. I’d had no intention of being taken alive, or of allowing her to be taken alive. I’d made the fundamental and fatal error of underestimating the Romans wish to capture us, and the resources they would deploy to do so.

To be continued

Last edited:
I went to the gate, with Jollyrei, Bobinder, and Alicia. Surrounding the village were more Roman soldiers than I’d ever seen in my life.

“I am Jollyrei, Chief of this Village! What do you want?”

An officer, sat on a white charger, replied. “I am Marcellinus, Primus Pilus of this cohort! Tempting though it is to wipe out this troublesome village, I ask one thing and one thing only. That you give us, alive, the woman named Alicia, and the man named Scaevola, in order that they may face Roman justice. If you send them out, within the hour, we shall leave you in peace. If you do not, we shall burn your village down, and put every man, woman, and child to death! I trust that is clear!”

Bobinder, furious, made as if to speak, but Jollyrei restrained him. “Yes, thank you, that is very clear!” he called. “We will respond within the hour!”

Alicia was distraught. “Chief Jollyrei! I am so sorry! I have brought so much trouble upon you all! Now I shall have my own brother killed!”

“Shush, child, let me think!” Jollyrei held up his hand.

I looked around. The village was completely surrounded. I cursed myself. I had no idea that the Romans could raise this many troops so quickly. It seemed that this time they wanted to make certain there was no mistake. In a way, I felt quite honoured.

“Are you able to get reinforcements?” I asked.

“Not quickly enough,” grunted Jollyrei.

“Chief, I am not about to stand by and let them take my own sister!” Bobinder was belligerent. “You do know why they want them alive?”

“I am not a fool, Bobinder.”

I spoke slowly, my apparent calmness not betraying the fact that my heart was beating furiously. “I’m… afraid that Alicia and seem to have two choices. We could be crucified, just the two of us, outside the city, or we could be crucified here with the whole village.” I made it sound as though we were planning a Sunday afternoon picnic.

“You do NOT have just that choice!” Bobinder exploded. “We will crucify those Romans, not the other way around!”

“Bobinder.” Jollyrei hadn’t got to be Chief through such hot headedness. “There are at least a thousand Romans out there. There are fifty of us. We wouldn’t last five minutes. Do you want to see your wife and daughters on their crosses? Scaevola is right. We have to let them go.”

Alicia took a step towards the gate. I grabbed her arm.

“It’s me they want!” she cried. “Let me go!”

“They won’t go without both of us, and well you know it!” I turned to Jollyrei and Bobinder. “Thank you both for all you did yesterday, and for an excellent evening. Now it seems that we must take our leave. Bobinder, I’m truly sorry. I shall try my best, but I cannot promise that Alicia will not come to harm.”

Alicia and Bobinder clung to each other, weeping bitter tears. I remembered her laughter yesterday. Would I ever hear her laugh again?

After a few minutes, they kissed one final time. Hand in hand, we walked out through the gate towards the Romans.

“Thanks for everything, Alicia.” I hissed. “Thank you for loving me. Now I shall kill you, and then me. OK?”

She nodded, and I drew my sword.

“STOP!” bellowed Marcellinus. “If you touch her, I shall crucify this entire village!”

I held my sword to her throat. “Your call, Alicia.”

We stood for a moment. My heart was hammering in my chest. “Drop it,” she said. “We must have courage, my love.”

“They will crucify us!”

“I know. I know. Drop it, my darling.”

I let the sword clatter to the ground.

Marcellinus grinned with satisfaction. “Very wise,” he commented. “Now strip.”

We stood, between the village and the waiting Romans, and undressed. Then, and only then, did Marcellinus send troops forward to us.

In moments we were both bound, hand and foot, captured without a fight.

Marcellinus dismounted, stepped forward and kicked me in the balls. I doubled over in agony, my face meeting his knee as I did so.

“That,” he said, “was for my friends that you killed.”

“Let her go!” I asked, as the blood streamed out of my probably broken nose. “It was my doing, not hers!”

He punched me in the belly. “Let me remind you that she is a convicted criminal. My orders are to return you both to the South Gate, where you are to be crucified. Take them!”

They threw us face down over the back of a horse. It may have been the recaptured merchant’s horse for all I know. They tied our wrists and ankles under the horse’s belly, and we began our dismal journey back towards the city. On the way I noticed the hoof prints we’d left on our way through the forest. They’d had no problem tracking us.

“It’s my fault,” she said. ”I should never have let you fuck me. I thought it would be nice to have one good shag, with someone I really loved, before I died.”

“It was a great shag….” I suggested.

“Yes, it was, but not great enough to be worth crucifixion. I should have just killed myself while I had the chance. I just wasn’t brave enough. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”

“I wouldn’t have….” I began.

“SILENCE!!!” roared a guard, and thwacked us across our exposed buttocks with the flat of his sword.

That bloody hurt, but I knew I had worse to come. So I shut up, and lay there contemplating crucifixion.

Call me stupid, but in my arrogance it had never occurred to me that I might be crucified. I was a gladiator, a warrior, even after I was freed I’d thought I would still die in some battle or another. I’d expected a hero’s death, not the lingering humiliation of the cross.

Even as I’d rescued Alicia, the risk of crucifixion was not high in my mind. I’d had no intention of being taken alive, or of allowing her to be taken alive. I’d made the fundamental and fatal error of underestimating the Romans wish to capture us, and the resources they would deploy to do so.

To be continued
You know I'm not happy about this. :(:mad:

Good chapter.

Awww ... I am getting emotional ... this is so romantic! :)

Never make those fundamental and fatal errors a second time ... I, of all people, should know! ;):facepalm:

Great story-telling. Keep writing! :popcorn:

You're going to have one helluva time trying to calm Bob down... :eek:
Bob!? It's hard enough reasoning with him when he's relaxed, never mind now. :confused: And what about me, eh? I mean, one has to worry about the overall welfare of the village, but I think the writing is on the proverbial wall there. If they want, the Romans can wipe a little village like ours off the map, unless we find Getafix and his magic potion. :rolleyes::facepalm: No, I think if we want to live free, we should explore options for doing something gratuitously violent and vengeful, and then fading away into the forest. :fighting02::mad::cool:

Bob!? It's hard enough reasoning with him when he's relaxed, never mind now. :confused: And what about me, eh? I mean, one has to worry about the overall welfare of the village, but I think the writing is on the proverbial wall there. If they want, the Romans can wipe a little village like ours off the map, unless we find Getafix and his magic potion. :rolleyes::facepalm: No, I think if we want to live free, we should explore options for doing something gratuitously violent and vengeful, and then fading away into the forest. :fighting02::mad::cool:

I think I see the problem here... Jollyrei's been reading too many Asterix books! :D

Well, maybe there's an opportunity for a story for a few more laughs in it than this one! ;)

Primus Pilus

I meant to say, I was referring to the Roman officer rank here, not to our much-missed Pp.

You're going to have one helluva time trying to calm Bob down... :eek:
Call me suspicious, but I do not trust these Romans. What is to stop them from returning and destroying our community? Captured without a fight indeed - will Alicia's and Scaevola's sacrifice be in vain?

This is not looking good at all.
Now I shall have to vent my rage, dream up a foolhardy plan and do something impetuous!

GoT Tormund.jpg

I think I see the problem here... Jollyrei's been reading too many Asterix books! :D
I seem to have crossed threads somewhere, yes.:doh::oops:
Do keep going. As Barb says, it's got that romantic/tragic element going. I'm fascinated to see where you take it (if a little apprehensive). Very engaging stuff, so far. :beer:

This is not looking good at all.
Now I shall have to vent my rage, dream up a foolhardy plan and do something impetuous!
One certainly sees your point.

You see, Wragg? I'm not in a great posish here as Chief, having to give up my guests to the bloody Romans, and a right-hand man who has seen his sister rescued and then suddenly back in the hands of the Romans. All is not sweetness and light in the old village.:(:mad::eek: Emotions running high, I fancy.

Call :(:mad::eek:
I'm not feeling all that confident about them either, just now....:eek:
Call me suspicious, but I do not trust these Romans.
I'm not feeling all that super-confident in them, either! :eek:

I'm hoping Marcellinus is as scared of Bobinder as I am.... ;)

Emotions running high, I fancy.

Omigod.... Jollyrei's getting emotional.... :cursing: :cursing2:

I'll keep a wary eye open for private messages...:icon_pc: (I've been itching for a chance to use that one....)

It was an exceedingly uncomfortable ride, but nevertheless we arrived back at the city all too quickly. They took us, not straight to the South Gate, but through the West Gate, and through the city, with our arses on full display. I suspected that Alicia’s was a rather better display than mine. Mine was at least more use than my head, which so far had utterly failed to scheme a way out of this predicament. Not that I had much going for me, no clothes, no weapon, no bargaining position. I began to face up to the probability that, very soon, I would be nailed to a cross. And so would Alicia.

We got to the barracks, where we were unloaded from the horse, and provided with the beams of wood to which our wrists would soon be nailed. Patibulum. I grunted. I’d seen it done often enough. They dumped it across my shoulders, and lashed my arms to it. It was bloody heavy, too. They’d done the same with Alicia, and she was a fraction of my weight. How she was going to manage, I had no idea.

Could I use it as a weapon? I could do a bit of damage with it. But the Romans were treating me with wary respect, there were plenty of them around. Fuck it… was there no way out of this?

They were going to make us carry these dead weights the mile or so from here to the South Gate. They hung a sign around my neck: ‘Scaevola, Rebel’ and that was all I was going to get to wear. Alicia, too. She’d had a robe on, last time. This time she was nude, apart from her own sign.

I followed her out into the street. It was going to be a long walk, but we were in less hurry than the guards, who urged us forward with lashes. And at least I had Alicia’s ass to look at. Trouble was, my reaction to that was all too plain to see, as we passed the tavern where I’d planned to spend the day yesterday. My drinking mates were there already, but they hadn’t noticed me yet, they had eyes only for Alicia, but then one of them, Manius, noticed my stiffening dick, and elbowed his companion, Tullius, pointing and laughing. They had a moment of merriment, but then Tullius looked up at my face.

“Fuck! Manius, look! That’s Scaevola! I wondered where he’d got to yesterday!”

They tried to come closer, but the Romans, having already learned the hard way, were keeping them at a safe distance.

“Scaevola! Shit, man! What did you do?”

“I killed quite a few of these scumbags yesterday trying to rescue Alicia from being crucified!”

That earned me a punch in the guts, and I collapsed to the ground, mortified that I was eating dirt while Alicia still stood upright beneath her burden. The Romans allowed her to turn and watch as I, helpless, was given a good kicking.

They lifted the patibulum and pulled me back to my feet. Of course, Manius and Tullius were now tagging along, so I’d have them among the audience as I was nailed to timber. Great.

Naked and bruised, I plodded along behind Alicia through the busiest parts of the town, past the market and then along the main street towards the South Gate. We passed the point where I’d rescued Alicia, just a few hours ago, but this time there was no rescue, and the dark mass of the South Gate loomed ahead of us.

We went through the gate and reached our final destination. Both sides of the road were lined with crosses, most were empty, but some bore long dead corpses. A scene from hell. I fought down the urge to vomit.

Two stipes, on opposite sides of the road, were laying on the ground, each waiting for its patibulum, and for its victim.

To be continued

Last edited:
We went through the gate and reached our final destination. Both sides of the road were lined with crosses, most were empty, but some bore long dead corpses. A scene from hell. I fought down the urge to vomit.

Two stipes, on opposite sides of the road, were laying on the ground, each waiting for its patibulum, and for it its victim.

Uh oh! Here we go ... not looking good. At least you’ll be across from one another (no pun intended) ... if it were an airline you could spring for premium seats with more leg room ... but alas ...

It was an exceedingly uncomfortable ride, but nevertheless we arrived back at the city all too quickly. They took us, not straight to the South Gate, but through the West Gate, and through the city, with our arses on full display. I suspected that Alicia’s was a rather better display than mine. Mine was at least more use than my head, which so far had utterly failed to scheme a way out of this predicament. Not that I had much going for me, no clothes, no weapon, no bargaining position. I began to face up to the probability that, very soon, I would be nailed to a cross. And so would Alicia.

We got to the barracks, where we were unloaded from the horse, and provided with the beams of wood to which our wrists would soon be nailed. Patibulum. I grunted. I’d seen it done often enough. They dumped it across my shoulders, and lashed my arms to it. It was bloody heavy, too. They’d done the same with Alicia, and she was a fraction of my weight. How she was going to manage, I had no idea.

Could I use it as a weapon? I could do a bit of damage with it. But the Romans were treating me with wary respect, there were plenty of them around. Fuck it… was there no way out of this?

They were going to make us carry these dead weights the mile or so from here to the South Gate. They hung a sign around my neck: ‘Scaevola, Rebel’ and that was all I was going to get to wear. Alicia, too. She’d had a robe on, last time. This time she was nude, apart from her own sign.

I followed her out into the street. It was going to be a long walk, but we were in less hurry than the guards, who urged us forward with lashes. And at least I had Alicia’s ass to look at. Trouble was, my reaction to that was all too plain to see, as we passed the tavern where I’d planned to spend the day yesterday. My drinking mates were there already, but they hadn’t noticed me yet, they had eyes only for Alicia, but then one of them, Manius, noticed my stiffening dick, and elbowed his companion, Tullius, pointing and laughing. They had a moment of merriment, but then Tullius looked up at my face.

“Fuck! Manius, look! That’s Scaevola! I wondered where he’d got to yesterday!”

They tried to come closer, but the Romans, having already learned the hard way, were keeping them at a safe distance.

“Scaevola! Shit, man! What did you do?”

“I killed quite a few of these scumbags yesterday trying to rescue Alicia from being crucified!”

That earned me a punch in the guts, and I collapsed to the ground, mortified that I was eating dirt while Alicia still stood upright beneath her burden. The Romans allowed her to turn and watch as I, helpless, was given a good kicking.

They lifted the patibulum and pulled me back to my feet. Of course, Manius and Tullius were now tagging along, so I’d have them among the audience as I was nailed to timber. Great.

Naked and bruised, I plodded along behind Alicia through the busiest parts of the town, past the market and then along the main street towards the South Gate. We passed the point where I’d rescued Alicia, just a few hours ago, but this time there was no rescue, and the dark mass of the South Gate loomed ahead of us.

Two stipes, on opposite sides of the road, were laying on the ground, each waiting for its patibulum, and for it its victim.

To be continued
Thanks for yet another exciting episode! Not such a bad way to die after all, to be able to watch a beautiful naked woman while dying!

Well, Wragg, you know my feelings on crucifixion and especially the Roman variety thereof, so I certainly hope you come up with something good to rescue them here. I'll lend you the NYPD SWAT team if you buy them all a beer at the tavern after they save your sorry ass.

As for Bob's point, no I don't trust those Romans either. "We'll leave that town alone" is about as good as "Mexico will pay for the wall". The town should have killed as many Romans as they could and then gone full Masada. Those Zealots are remembered as a UNESCO World Heritage site and a national shrine of Israel, but I had to look up who the Leuni were. Come on folks, this is your chance to make history!

Without new thread warnings, I missed the start of this interesting story!:oops:
Time to catch up!:cool:
It looks like, one does better not mess with Roman institutions!:nono:

I look forward whether he still finds a way out! But I fear the worst!:confused:

Back
Top Bottom