Gertie's Christmas Evening.

Go to CruxDreams.com

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
GERTIE’S CHRISTMAS EVE

Christmas Eve. Five p.m. Gertie Stevens’ company office.

“Hello, Gertie!”
"Agnes!? Good afternoon! What brings you here?”
“The same occasion as every year, Gertie! I come to invite you to our Christmas Diner. Tomorrow at two o’clock. My home!”
“That’s very kind of you, Agnes, but you know well, what I think about it! Christmas does not appeal to me any more since long. I am too rational to be fooled by that kind of fake glamour. And I have stuff to do here!”
“Even tomorrow? Come on Gertie, don’t be so dismissive. Christmas is a moment to put away the daily stress and the duties. A time of reconciliation. People share wishes for peace. Children love it.”
“Too commercial for me!”
“Hear our harsh businesswoman talking : ‘too commercial’!”
“Well it is! That’s my opinion! I’m sorry if my opinion offends!”
“Where is Velma? I had liked to wish her a Happy Christmas too.”
“Velma has a day off! That is why I am so busy! I have to fix it on my own here!“
“You let her go, on this, as you always say, busiest week of the year!?”
“She insisted! Her child had a little fever. She lets me down this time of the year! But what could I do!?”
“Come on, Gertie! You showed your heart!”
“I had no choice! She is no helping hand when her mind is on that baby. And it is not the first time it happens! I have to find a solution for that!”
“A solution!? What do you mean?”
“Velma has been absent too much the last months!”
“You do not intend to…?”
“I consider it, yes! She did not meet her targets for this year!”
“Gertie! As a shareholder of this company of yours, I want to know about this! Did she make losses?”
“No, she made profits.”
“Less than last year?”
“No, more!”
“But…?”
“She fell short of her ten percent increase target.”
“How much short?”
“Just! Short!”
“Christ, Gertie! Velma had a baby this year! Take that into consideration!”
“And she is absent too much! Because of that baby!”
“That is why you want to fire her!?”
“Agnes! I said : I am considering it! I want hundred percent of commitment! No! Two hundred percent!”
“Don’t be so cold! Velma is committed to the company, and experienced and trustworthy . It will be very difficult to replace her!”
“I am not a charity, Agnes! And if you had not left me down so many years ago, I would not have to hire an expensive employee!”
“Gertie, I wanted children, and I could not combine it with this way of life here! But I did not let you down! I kept my money in the business! And I keep investing a considerable part of my profit into it!”
“So that you can put me under pressure anytime when it suits you!”
“Right, Gertie! Sometimes your conscience needs a second opinion! And I insist you keep Velma!”
“It’s a harsh capitalist society we live in, Agnes. Only the strong survive! I cannot permit a weakness.”
“Capitalist! Gertie! Don’t you exaggerate!? "
“I told you many times already, Agnes, every big company has once started with the risk investment of one penny. Often the owner’s last penny!”
“And once upon a time, from these millions of first penny’s, at the end only Rockefeller, Carnegie and Pierpont Morgan were left over. They had snatched away all these millions of penny’s, and the profits of them, and they had put them into their pockets . That’s capitalism! So, don’t start another ‘greed is good’ speech will you, Gertie? “
“The only reason I wouldn’t do so, is that otherwise, you will start yourself yet another sermon that I will burn in hell later, with a chain on my feet, dragging all my material assets in massive lead!”
“Life itself holds worse things, than burning in hell after death, Gertie…”.
“Good! I know what to expect : this evening, three ghosts will visit me, one from the past, one from the present and one for the future, and they will confront me with my terrible greed, my selfishness, my ruthlessness and my evilness etcetera, etcetera, and they will scare me to hell about my afterlife if I should not repent immediately…!”
“Gertie, please, I did not come here to discuss such things. Not this time of the year! I only wanted to bring my invitation for tomorrow. You don’t have to confirm it now. Come as you wish! Two o’clock! You are always welcome. There will always be a place at our table for you!”
“I have arranged my Christmas already! And I urgently will have to look for a gift! You know how bad I am in that!?”
“Your presence will be a gift to me! But if you need to buy something, then hurry up! Many shops close at six, or even at five!”
“What? That soon!?”
“It is Christmas Eve, Gertie! People want to go home, to their family.”
“These employees….”
“The shop owners too, Gertie! There are other values in life than money! So, I have to go now! And reconsider Velma!”
“But…!”
“Christmas truce, Gertie! Do nothing about it! We will talk about it after New Year’s Day! Promised!?”
Gertie hesitated.
“All right! I will wait!”
“Thanks Gertie. I wish you already a Merry Christmas!”
“Thanks! The same for you!”

Agnes left the office and Gertie kept on working. Paperwork for the end of the year. It was kind of Agnes to invite her, but she did not particularly look forward to accept the invitation. Too much chit-chat about kids. Gertie had planned ‘her own’ Christmas eve. A bag of salted peanuts, a salmon salad, toasts, some pâté, salted cookies, olives and a bottle of French sparkling wine. No Champagne. Just ‘methode traditionelle’ from the Loire region. Cheaper for a comparable quality. Gertie figured there would be at least something on TV on Christmas evening, considering she could receive two hundred channels. She only had to purchase a few things and some food for Christmas Day itself.

Gertie had something else to do now. Whatever Agnes would be thinking of it, Gertie considered that, sometimes, one has to do unpleasant things. She opened a new Word document, in the format of a registered letter with the company heading. What was Velma’s private address again?

(to be continued)

Gertie's Christmas Eve - part 2.

Damn! Six minus fifteen. The shops in the mall close at six! Just fifteen minutes – less than fifteen minutes actually – to get some things! The salmon salad, some pâté, olives!

The mall was nearly deserted. That was a luck. Gertie first rushed to the perfumery. Luckily it was nearly empty too. The previous days, there had been waiting rows of thirty people crowding the shop and all taking their time. Even with more staff, waiting would have lasted an eternity.

The shop girls were more relaxed too, with Christmas Eve in sight. Within two minutes, Gertie had found what she needed. Satisfied of her purchase (and for having been in time), she left the shop. Just one other important thing : the caterer, who luckily stayed open thirty minutes longer. She bought the salmon salad, pâté and olives and some house made prepared meals, and a bottle of red wine.

Relaxed, Gertie walked through the mall back to her office. Her Christmas eve could start. Underway, she took some time to scrutinize the other shops, while soft Christmas music was being played by the sound system. Suddenly, the tone changed. Instead of singing angles and jingling bells, guitar music clang.

“Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall?
It's the time that every Santa has a ball.
Does he ride a red-nose reindeer?
Does a ton-up on his sleigh?
Do the fairies keep him sober for a day?

So here it is Merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun”

Slade's 'Merry Xmas Everbody'! Magic! Gertie moved closer to a loudspeaker, to hear it better.

It was an incredible experience, Noddy Holder’s gravely voice resounding through the nearly empty, Christmas decorated mall. How old was this song? Decades already! She had enjoyed that song during her teen years, when she had listened to it over and over again. Around Christmas, she had irritated her family with that ‘ugly rock song’. No one would have dared foretelling that it would become a timeless classic. And she still loved it today. Excited, Gertie stood waiting until the last tone rang out.

Back in the office, she could not get the song out of her head. And her head got filled with memories. The memories of the Christmas Eve’s with her family, in her late grandma’s home. For a moment she considered going on with the work, but…

“Time to go home”, she said to herself. While she printed out some papers, she packed her things and left the office.

Soon she was underway. Traffic went smoothly. The advantage of returning home on Christmas Evening was, that it was quiet on the road. No lines at the crossroads, no traffic jams. Gertie’s radio was on, but inside her head, ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’ still sounded. Long time memories stirred her mind, in so much, that she made a decision. She left the main road and drove into a village. Finally, she stopped in front of a house. Behind the window, she could see a home ready for Christmas Eve. There was a huge, silvery decorated Christmas tree, with beautiful lights. The living room was made up for a diner. The table was laid with dishes, cutlery, sets of glass, more Christmas decoration... She saw the inhabitants making the last preparations for the feast. A mother, a father, happy looking children. A car stopped, a family stepped out, carrying presents. They rang and were warmly welcomed.

“Are you waiting for the family to arrive
Are you sure you've got the room to spare inside
Does your granny always tell you
That the old songs are the best
Then she's up and rock 'n' rolling with the rest”

This house had once been the home of Gertie’s grandma. In this house, she had, all her youth long, celebrated Christmas Eve, with the whole family. Later that night, they would all attend the Midnight Mass. Grandma had always insisted that everybody, religious or not, would come with, because, as she said, the importance of that celebration transcends religion. It was about peace and solidarity and brotherhood among people, she had always argued.

Today, some strangers celebrate Christmas Evening in the house Gertie’s memories were filled with. Happy strangers, without doubt! Grandma had died already many years ago, and everybody in the family had gone his or her way!
“Enough memory lane for today, Gertie!” she said to herself, and she drove further home.
The roads were still quiet.

“Try to imagine a house that's not a home
Try to imagine a Christmas all alone
That's where I'll be
Since you left me”

Oh no! 'Lonely this Christmas', that other Christmas song from long time ago on the radio. From Mud, that other glam rock band that went singing Christmas! It was a year after Slade’s hit.

“My tears would melt the snow
What can I do
Without you
I've got no place, no place to go”

It was Christmas 1974. Christmas Day itself was celebrated at Gertie’s home. Her parents offered their guests coffee, tea, pastries, cookies, pie. After all, a large part of the family was still satisfied from grandma’s diner the evening before. That Christmas, Susan had been there. She was the fiancée of an older nephew of Gertie. Susan was just a decent young woman, looking eagerly for starting her own life, her own family. They would get married the next year. On that Christmas Day of 1974, Gertie heard ‘Lonely this Christmas’ at least ten times being played on the radio.

“It'll be lonely this Christmas
Without you to hold
It'll be lonely this Christmas lonely and cold
It'll be cold so cold
Without you to hold
This Christmas”

During 1975, nephew and Susan had made final arrangements for their marriage. A day in September had been fixed. Then, suddenly, in the late summer, nothing was heard anymore of Susan or the marriage. Likely, they must have broken up suddenly, but neither the breaking up, nor the reason had ever been told to Gertie. Afterwards, it had become clear to her that nephew had unexpectedly dropped his fiancée, apparently because he was ultimately scared to get away from under his mother’s wings. But the whole matter was a taboo within the family, in order to avoid quarrels, since several of the family members strongly disapproved nephew’s behavior, against the opinion of his mother.

Gertie had long time wondered how Susan would have felt after such a sudden break up, and how someone could cope with it. Particularly the next Christmas, in 1975, Susan had been on her mind the whole time. About ten years later, Gertie learned to know it in turn, when she was suddenly dumped by her fiancé short of a planned marriage!

“It'll be lonely this Christmas
Without you to hold
It'll be lonely this Christmas lonely and cold
It'll be cold so cold
Without you to hold
This Christmas

Merry Christmas darlin'; wherever you are”

“OH! SHIT!!”
Gertie violently depressed the brake pedal. While the pedal rattled under her feet, the bright red lights of a car rear came scarily closer and closer!

At last, her car stopped!

That had been very close! Gertie realized she had been distracted by her thoughts. She had approached a green traffic light, and focused on the green light, thereby ignoring the queue that stood at this crossroads, because of too much traffic wanting to turn left.

Fortunately, she had stopped in time. Damn Les Gray with his Christmas ballad! She drove on, her heart still beating. The radio gave traffic information. No traffic jams this evening. No white Christmas either. Temperature will be mild, no frost was expected during the night. Music resumed.

“Standing in the dock at Southampton
Trying to get to Holland or France”

Gertie cheered up! Finished the sad songs! Now it was The Beatles’ ‘Ballad of John and Yoko’. One of her favorites! She turned the volume fully open.

Ten minutes later, Gertie was home. She put on a sleeping gown and a dressing gown, and prepared her Christmas Eve. Soon everything stood ready : salted peanuts, a salmon salad, toasts, some pâté, salted cookies, olives and the bottle of French sparkling wine, ‘Premium Crèmant’ from Saumur.

“Meow!”
Gertie got company, from Dow Jones, her cat, turning around the food.
“Dow Jones! I know you have an eye on my salmon salad, but I tell you, that is mine! I have brought for you a special Christmas meal, so don’t say I did not think about you!”

Gertie started browsing the television channels. But it was disappointing : The Sound of Music (zap) Ben Hur (zap) The Sound of Music (zap) Ben Hur (zap) The Sound of Music (zap) Ben Hur (zap)… Is there another option? Apart from ‘Home Alone’…?
“Sooner or later, Dow Jones,” Gertie said to her cat, “we’ll see on Christmas Eve, Captain Von Trapp doing the chariot race and Ben Hur teaching his family to sing,!”

Gertie gave up searching, and while enjoying her food and drink, she browsed the news and other websites on her laptop. Inevitably, her mind went back to the work today. To the Velma problem.

“Christ you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going….”

She had promised Agnes not to do something about Velma before New Year. That would mean that she could notify Velma of her dismissal not sooner than in January. According to labor regulations, this meant she had to keep Velma automatically a month longer. Gertie had prepared the letter of dismissal and printed it out. She had to dismiss Velma by means of a registered letter anyway. The first thing she would do after Christmas, was to consult her lawyer, to find out if the letter had been made up in accordance with regulations, and if there would be a way to avoid the extra month.

Was it the right decision? Agnes of course had a point that she would have to hire someone new, and that could be a gamble, that could cost her more than keeping Velma despite she would be unavailable from time to time.

“You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
They're going to crucify me”

Damn no, Gertie had the full authority to sack or to hire. Strictly, according to the company by-laws, she did not need the approval of Agnes. But how would Agnes react?

“The way things are going
They're going to crucify me”

Yes, how would Agnes react? Sacking a young mother! Agnes could make a point of it. Gertie knew she risked trouble with her sister. What is worthwhile that?

“They're going to crucify me”

For sacking a young mother!

“DOW JONES!” Just in time, that naughty cat had approached the salmon salad too close for comfort! The cat looked at her, indignantly, for being refused some fine food.
“What would you do, Dow Jones!? Risk trouble with aunt Agnes, or do what I think is best for the company?”

Getting crucified? Why did she feel that such an attractive thought? She had always wanted to be a successful business woman, but somehow she felt the kink for once getting… crucified for her often ruthless behavior in business. Being crucified in public, naked, taunted by all those people she had once been ruthless against. A dark side of her, a submissive kink, she wondered where it came from. Perhaps a hidden defense mechanism in her mind to keep her on the right track, to keep her feet on the ground! An eroticizing projection of the fact that it can always go wrong?

Gertie put away the bottle, before she would empty it completely. She wanted to lay down on her bed. Her arms and legs spread. Naked! Crucified! Dow Jones accompanied her, scrutinizing her curiously.

How would it be like, the feast in grandma’s former home?

What would Agnes be doing? Probably she was preparing her feast, together with her husband and her children. A lot of work, that Gertie never would even start to take on. But apparently, Agnes enjoyed the preparing her Christmas a lot. And Agnes still adhered to attending the Midnight Mass.

“Are you hanging up a stocking on your wall
Are you hoping that the snow will start to fall”

Susan? Susan, considering her age, could already be a grandma herself. She has lived an entire life since 1975. Where would she be? What would she be doing? She would have been a good wife for nephew! A damn good wife! But he had wasted it all! Although speaking of the break-up had been a taboo, nephew soon had estranged from the family. Banned!

Would Gertie have been a good wife for her ‘runaway groom’?

“It'll be lonely this Christmas….”

Velma? Was Velma celebrating Christmas, with her little baby? Would everything be OK with the child?

“Look to the future now, It's only just begun…”

But tomorrow, the future could wait. She canceled her plan to go to work. Not on Christmas, Gertie! Maybe, she better would go to Agnes’ feast. After all, what would be on TV tomorrow? The channels that broadcasted ‘The Sound of Music’ this evening, most probably had programmed ‘Ben-Hur’ on Christmas Day, and vice-versa? More importantly, family ties are sometimes so brittle she considered. She would have to buy a gift – regardless what Agnes had said about it – since she intended not to show up with empty hands. She would not like to embarrass Agnes in front of her family and guests – ‘aunt Gertie, the niggard of the family has arrived’! Usually, some flower shops or caterers are open before noon on Christmas Day. She would sleep about it for a night.

Dow Jones had jumped on her bed and crawled around and over Gertie’s naked body a few times. Then she sat right up, overseeing Gertie.

“Meow!” It sounded like an approval. Then, Dow Jones left the room and went to eat the delicious Christmas meal Gertie had given her.
“Silly cat!”

Getting crucified, so what!? Imagine! In front of them all : nephew, runaway husband, Velma, Susan, Agnes, and all the others, her competitors, her clients, her lawyer. Damn, why did that sound so exciting? Crucified for sacking a young mother!

But there is a worse fate than being crucified, and that is getting banned. When crucified, one is at least the center of the attention! When banned, you are alone! Agnes invited her every year for her Christmas feast, despite knowing that she would not come. Suppose, next year, Agnes would not ask anymore? Because of firing Velma. Because of dumping Velma! Velma – Susan – she!

“Dow Jones, dear! If you find that letter for Velma, could you please tear it in pieces and throw it away!”

THE END

(thanks to Charles Dickens)

(thanks to Charles Dickens)

Charles Dickens would be proud of you! :)

That was very cleverly done, Loxuru! :) A cat, called Dow Jones, as the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come! Les Gray as the Ghost of Christmas Present! Noddy Holder as the Ghost of Christmas Past!

I think that was more fun than the original! Dickens would never have thought of crucifying Scrooge. I thought I'd got a sparky imagination, but I wouldn't have dreamed of crucifying a female Scrooge in Christmas yet to Come in a hundred years! :clapping:

Marvelous story, Lox.
Those of us on the left side of the pond may not be familiar with the soundtrack, so here it is:
Slade never made it big in America, just a couple of minor hit. The cover versions of their songs by Quiet Riot were bigger hits.
I don't think Mud ever had a following in the States. I like this one though, it's got a Roy Orbison feel to it.
Every Beatles should know this one, but, in case they don't:

Back
Top Bottom