Hometown.

Go to CruxDreams.com
A civilised part of the US indeed!
The United States has seen a few cricket tours by Australian teams from the 1860s on, but they never progressed as far as becoming a Test playing nation. Bradman toured there in 1932, second link contains some rare footage unearthed in 2012
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/fea...city-don-bradman-babe-ruth-history/2016-05-29
Cricket History
Cricket is Haverford's oldest and most distinctive sport and was possibly introduced by the English landscape architect who planned the campus in 1833, William Carvill. Club teams conducted robust competition on campus from the early 1850’s, and one of the first intercollegiate contests of any variety played anywhere was Haverford's victory over the University of Pennsylvania in cricket in 1864.

One of the earlier varsity players, Henry Cope, Class of 1869, inspired Haverford cricketers for many decades, and the team's picturesque home pitch, surrounded by the president's and faculty members' houses, is now named in his honor. Almost every student of that era played some form of cricket at Haverford.

In 1890's Philadelphia, cricket was the prominent game, and crowds of up to 20,000 often watched matches throughout the area. Haverford College played a major role in that phenomenon, especially from 1895 and 1896 on when a great athlete from England, John A. Lester, Sr., 1896, and a Quaker lad from New Jersey, J. Henry Scattergood 1896, brought the Haverford XI to new heights. Lester, who also starred in American football and several other sports, and Scattergood, probably the finest wicket-keeper American cricket has ever produced, were the prime reasons the team sought stronger competition and launched the first in a long Haverford tradition of England tours, meeting all the major public schools there in the summer of 1896. The first professional coach, George Woodcock, was also imported from England in the 1890's.

Trips to England continued approximately every four years until 1924. A "rookie" on the 1900 trip, C. Christopher Morris 1904, returned to England his senior year and matched the superb play of Lester and Scattergood. "Christy" Morris had a long career as one of Philadelphia's finest cricketers. The C.C. Morris Cricket Library, housed in the college's Magill Library, is one of the most comprehensive collections of cricket publications and memorabilia in North America. Amar Singh ’54, former curator of the library, was a cricket and soccer star in the 1950's and was one of the principal supporters of the XI.

A veteran of the final England tour of that era, Howard Comfort ’24, son of then-Haverford President William Wistar Comfort, returned to Haverford a few years after graduation to teach classics and remained as head of that department and cricket coach until his retirement in 1973. Comfort's teams were well-coached and maintained a high standard of play. Most players were Americans who first learned the rudiments of cricket at Haverford, though there were occasional players with international cricket backgrounds. Jamaican Osmond Pitter ’26 was a fine cricketer and may have been Haverford's first student of African descent.

Sometime after the arrival of Kamran Khan, still coach today after more than 40 years of service, things changed a bit. While Americans still were heavily involved, students from many former British Commonwealth countries began to arrive, especially talented and experienced cricketers from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh. They received excellent instruction from Khan, a former Pakistani national team member who now has served many years as the playing captain of the USA national team and spread the word.

By 1989, the XI under captain Samir Desai ’89 and brilliant all-rounder Ravi Sheth ’90, was deemed strong enough to cross the Atlantic again (several previous teams had been to Canada) and toured England and Scotland with much success. A triumphal England tour, seven victories and one draw against colleges at Oxford and Cambridge and other elevens, took place in 1996.

There is no shortage of cricket teams to play with the many clubs in the Philadelphia area and more colleges adopting the sport every year, though Haverford remains the only real varsity in the USA. With the coaching tradition of Comfort and Khan still intact, the program expects to see cricketers scurrying around Cope Field spring and fall for years to come. However, starting with the 2017-18 academic year, new red and black uniforms have given the team a distinct look from its competition.

Thanks PrPr for dispelling the myth that Americans have never ever played cricket.

Now for a little known fact of my own. I was raised in north Oxfordshire, and family talk often turned to........................................wait for it.............................................baseball!!

It appears that it gained quite a foothold in some of the villages and small towns in the 1920's, especially the town of Chipping Norton. I never really believed the old'uns tales, since by the time I was around baseball was like that game that only girls played, rounders.

Recognition has at long last been made, with memorials and scholarly tomes detailing it:

https://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/lifestyle/thisweek/2025640.batting-for-britain/

https://lra.le.ac.uk/bitstream/2381/4753/1/409777.pdf (search "Oxford")

fredlewis_001.jpg.gallery.jpgplaque.jpg

Last edited:
As a teen I heard soccer-mad boys talking of a baseball ground that was the home of an FA club - Derby?
I think baseball had once been a big sport there and in other industrial towns, before soccer overtook all other sports.

The one European country that has done well in international competitions, finishing as high as fourth in the World Baseball Classic with such powers as the US, Japan, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (which competes separately from the US) is the Netherlands. That is largely due to the Dutch Caribbean islands, which are home to several Major League stars, including Xander Bogaerts of the Boston Red Sox and Didi Gregorius of the New York Yankees.

A few impressions of my current hometown.
Its a fairly old town and for a long time depending on heavy industry (and in parts its looking like it).

Latest archaeological studies show that the present-day market-place was already in use in the first century. It has been the major central trading place of the city since the 5th century. The city itself was located at the "Hellweg", an important medieval trade route, and at a ford across the Rhine. The Romans already guarded the ford.
About 500m to my home58a42eb8-629d-40d9-a940-69db19e82be1.png
830x518.pm2.bgFFFFFF.jpg1920x730.pm2.bgFFFFFF.jpgInnenhafen.jpgInnenhafen_2014.jpg
Pic of year 883 (attack of vikings)noresize-modell-883_600x500.jpg

Despite the Romans, I don´t know anything about crucifixions here.

Last edited:
Its a fairly old town and for a long time depending on heavy industry (and in parts it looking like it).

Latest archaeological studies show that the present-day market-place was already in use in the first century. It has been the major central trading place of the city since the 5th century. The city itself was located at the "Hellweg", an important medieval trade route, and at a ford across the Rhine. The Romans already guarded the ford.
About 500m to my homeView attachment 645880
View attachment 645881View attachment 645882View attachment 645883View attachment 645884
Pic of year 883 (attack of vikings)View attachment 645885

We took a Viking (we didn't attack with anything worse than Dollars) River Cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. We stopped in Cologne but then cruised by you. Mostly lovely country.

Its a fairly old town and for a long time depending on heavy industry (and in parts its looking like it).

About 500m to my homeView attachment 645880
View attachment 645881View attachment 645882View attachment 645883View attachment 645884
Pic of year 883 (attack of vikings)View attachment 645885

You have noisy neighbors!

Battle Creek Michigan!
Kellogg's home town!!!!!
Kellogg was a doctor and Seventh Day Adventist who believed, as much of the medical community did in the late 19th century, that masturbation was very harmful to the body and the mind. He invented corn flakes in the hope that a diet of such simple food would reduce the urge to pleasure oneself. I wrote a story that involved something similar http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/punishment-for-pleasure-a-story-for-alice.7098/

All very true, but I was referencing the food company by the same name and founded by the Doctor Kellogg you mention.
In the USA currently known for breakfast cereal, cookies, crackers, and other snack food items.
They have been located in Battle Creek Michigan since I was a child and probably long before that.

Sometime my posts are intended to be humorous, successful or not.:grazy:

Kellogg was a doctor and Seventh Day Adventist who believed, as much of the medical community did in the late 19th century, that masturbation was very harmful to the body and the mind. He invented corn flakes in the hope that a diet of such simple food would reduce the urge to pleasure oneself. I wrote a story that involved something similar http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/punishment-for-pleasure-a-story-for-alice.7098/
I just had an....interesting idea since you brought that up.
At some point, when life is a bit....back to normal for me I intend on doing a video on one of my typical crux sessions that I did back in the day and uploading it to the forum. Before I start the first think I'm gonna do is eat a bowl of corn flakes while I discuss the details of the crosses construction and how I'm gonna go about doing what I used to do. ;)
Thanks for the unintended tip. ;)

Battle Creek Michigan!
Kellogg's home town!!!!!

I worked as a maintenance technician for the Kellogg's Louisville Bakery until I retired. They baked Keebler's and also Girl Scout cookies there, I could walk down the isle and pluck Thin Mints right off the cooler belt, yum. Also the Keebler's chocolate chip cookies hot off the oven belt. :babeando: An advantage of working there was that unlike other plant maintenance jobs where you got greasy I was usually coated with flour, refined sugar, chocolate, peanut butter and caramel with a lttle cookie dough in the mix. :rolleyes:

I love the story very much. When I have time I want write a real life story of my history of masturbation and pain, much physical from parents, much more from the Catholic Church that was mental anguish.
Mel meljeffom@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom