How much does a person bleed while crucified?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I have read on a few occasions (I don't recall where, it could be even somewhere on CF), that the Roman's technique of crucifixion was specifically intended to restrict blood loss as much as possible, in order to make this not the major cause of death. By avoiding profuse blood loss,, suffering would be prolonged.
Being of Italian descent Tree can testify the Romans were butchers and cared little about blood loss. You make most your money during the first hour or two...

Being of Italian descent Tree can testify the Romans were butchers and cared little about blood loss. You make most your money during the first hour or two...
Not sure Tree...if you have a stall selling hot dogs, hamburgers or when it's too hot ice cream.....:welcome8: or even for the photographer taking pictures with you and the victim....Tree thinks about maybe cappuccino...

Me neither, but what I think is that if the victim was sitting on a sedile - not perforate the vagina or anus- or/and haves the feet resting on a piece of wood, the victim could lives for days, especially if he receives some drink and that he's not roasted by the sun. On a T cross and bound with ropes the victim could support the treatment even longer. All depended from the intention of the sentence and executioners

That is a good aspect Ducans.
When the crucified are more or less "sitting" on the crosses, the dying will take days.
Days of horror for the crucified and days of deterrence for the executioners. I'm quite sure that this is what the romans wanted.

In the thread "In the aftermath of the crucifiction", five people have been crucified.
The two condemned criminals have to sit on seat plugs.

Last edited:
I can tell you that I did bleed from my nailed hands,but not a whole lot. Some little ribbons of blood ran down my arms from my hands...I am just amazed it was not more.

Like Madiosi, I think that the bleeding/blood loss has a lot to do with the skills of the executioner.
When the nails are driven at the right spot through the wrist, the victim won't lose that much blood.
Most likely, when the arms are stretched, the body will be lower than the wounds.
A fact that will slow down the blood loss , too.
Still enough though, that small streams of blood were running down the arms, the side of the ribcage, hips and legs.

With the nailed feet it's, I think, a different story. Much more blood must have been lost there.

I doubt that the victims died because of the blood loss alone. Bleeding weakened the crucified, but they suffocated, died because of stress, had a sepsis, heart attacks, strokes, thrombosis, as in the regular life.

The cross though, as we know, was extremely shortening the life span of the crucified.
For a good while, the crucified were able to live and communicate on the cross.
An entertainment factor for the spectators, besides the actual spectacle of the crucifiction.
Ancient documents are even stating, that it could take days until the crucified were killed by the cross.

Of course, I'm not a doctor and don't have profound knowledge of the human physis. That's just what I think about it.
Eventually somebody can get more into detail.:devil:

I guess I just really like the flow of blood as it mixes with a girls sweat and slides down her body, a thin stream down her arms and ribs, possibly on the tips of her fingers and slipping off her toes and was curious if this would be the case, or if it would just dry/crust up soon afterwords, which is not as fun in my opinion. Thanks for all the information! :) Blood is life, and seeing it slip away, down the body of the individual is symbolic of this, and also sexual for me. So this is informative and sensual at the same time :)

Ok, never been nailed to a cross but I have (on occasion) managed to pierce a hand or foot with a sharp object (like a nail).

I think you'd be surprised at how much pressure can stem bleeding. So for example, assuming you don't hit a major artery or vein and say you use a piece of wood for compression purposes, I'd think you could keep blood loss to a minimum allowing a victim to last several days under the right conditions.

kisses

If you have seen images from crucifixions in the Philippines for Good Friday observance you will notice a few close up shots of hands and feet with nails in them. There is hardly any blood at all. Partly this has to do with compression, but it is also because hands and feet are extemities, far from the heart, so the pressure there is not as great. I would imagine, though, that a person who was writhing in pain and gasping to breathe would put pressure on the nails and cause the wounds to widen somewhat, creating a bit more blood flow. I also agree that it is much more pleasing to see some blood, but not in excess.

Me neither, but what I think is that if the victim was sitting on a sedile - not perforate the vagina or anus- or/and haves the feet resting on a piece of wood, the victim could lives for days, especially if he receives some drink and that he's not roasted by the sun. On a T cross and bound with ropes the victim could support the treatment even longer. All depended from the intention of the sentence and executioners

It does sound very realistic Ducans. With a girlfriend I'm working on a story about a female executioner, and I think it really makes a lot of sense, to attach something like a seat, when you crucify the victim with nails.
Like mentioned before we are talking about a plug. It would, besides the torturing aspects, give the audience the chance to insult the victim.
One could think it looks like a penis.
Could be fun for some onlookers :devil:.

My father once had to pull a javelin from the thigh of someone who made the mistake of getting in the way of an errant throw. It had to be removed to enable the ambulance crew to get him on a stretcher. Much to his surprise there wasn't a great rush of blood. The deep hole very slowly filled and then the bleeding almost stopped. If this bears any relationship to the holes made by nails in a crucifixion I would imagine that the blood loss would be minimal.

That's the point - in more senses than one!
There are major blood-vessels in the wrists, ankles and groin that,
if punctured, let out a fountain of blood and death soon follows -
use only Union Certified Executioners to be sure to get the nails and cornu
just where they'll cause most pain for the longest time!

That's the point - in more senses than one!
There are major blood-vessels in the wrists, ankles and groin that,
if punctured, let out a fountain of blood and death soon follows -
use only Union Certified Executioners to be sure to get the nails and cornu
just where they'll cause most pain for the longest time!

78D3645E-A47E-4441-AFE9-42B08EF50CCE.jpeg Like this guy?

Back
Top Bottom