How To Talk For Artists And Users (Rendering)

Go to CruxDreams.com
That's mine observations. And my opinion...
My GTX 670 is quite enough to create simple portraits with three light sources and simple background. 25 minutes with 100% quality...
Lighting is the most difficult part...

A few humble suggestions that come from experience.

1) As a general rule, be prepared to invest money on a good computer.
2) A basic knowledge of an image editing software is strongly recommended. GIMP - freeware - is a nice substitute of Photoshop.
3) Poser is pay, while DAZ Studio is available for free. Same thing for the base figures (Genesis 3 is now the standard), that can be used for practice for a lot of time, before buying commercial models.
4) DAZ's Youtube channel offers an abundance of great video tutorials that cover all the basic. A good starting point for beginners.
https://www.youtube.com/user/WWWDAZ3DCOM

5) Be VERY patient. Obtaining acceptable results can take a lot of time, depending of course on individual skills and time spent studying.
6) Knowledge of photography helps a lot, as I have learned the hard way.
7) Feedback is important, but you better follow your path and inspiration.

Hope it helps a bit.

I remind me now on my first "High-End-PC" 1994:
Intel DX33
gigantic 210 MB HDD
wow 4 MB RAM
sensationally CD-ROM Drive
5,25" FDD
3,5" FDD

the follow model DX50 240MB HDD, 8MB and a bit better CPU

The price is in DM. Thats now 3275 Euro. Crazy!

My first PC was an Epson 8088, 512k of ram, twin 5 1/4 floppy drives, bought in 1987 for $1400. For another $400 I could have had a 10 meg hard disk (yes, 10 MB!), but my response to the salesman was "what would I need that for?" The monitor was monochrome of course, green on black, and for another $400 I got an Epson 9 pin dot matrix printer.
That's the equivalent of over $5000 Australian today. No wonder we computer owners were a minority. And when you got it home, you had to read the manuals and figure out how to create a boot disk to make the bloody thing work! It came with DOS 3 I think (or 2 point something), and some form of Basic as it was naturally assumed that you would be doing some programming.
Sadly I went to Europe in 1988 and while I was away (19 years) my family donated it to the Rural Fire Service. I hope they got many years use out of it, it was a very well designed and built machine.
Ah, happy days.

Last edited:
Back in the day I messed around with Poser 4 quite a bit, but never really created any real artwork with it, and looking at DAZ3D now, I'm just overwhelmed by the complexity of the UI compared to the old Poser. I understand how to take the included figures and pose them but when it comes to creating a scene, adding clothes, props and lighting etc, I'm really struggling how to do it, and as for creating body morphs and skin texturing, I don't have a clue :(

Oh yeah and that happened to the genitalia on/off option? The old Poser had this but DAZ3D doesn't seem to include this, making it pretty much useles for erotic artwork :(

Poser 4 was WAY easier to use as well, but won't work on any computer with more than 512Mb RAM (ironically it throws an "out of memory" error). DAZ3D just seems way too complicated by comparison :(

Also, I have several CDs full of Poser content (some bought, some downloaded free). Will this stuff work in DAZ3D? And if so, how do I import it.

Also, I'd like to create realistic body types, rather than the default fashion model type figures that seem to be the standard. I know I can use the body shaping controls on Gen3 but they seem very limited in practice.

I've read through the manuals (several times) but they just end up confusing me even more. I would like to see some step-by-step instructions on some of the basic stuff. I think that would be great for people like myself who are just getting started with this sort of thing.

I have many, many more questions but these seem like a reasonable place to start.

My first PC was an Epson 8088, 512k of ram, twin 5 1/4 floppy drives, bought in 1987 for $1400. For another $400 I could have had a 10 meg hard disk (yes, 10 MB!), but my response to the salesman was "what would I need that for?" The monitor was monochrome of course, green on black, and for another $400 I got an Epson 9 pin dot matrix printer.
That's the equivalent of over $5000 Australian today. No wonder we computer owners were a minority. And when you got it home, you had to read the manuals and figure out how to create a boot disk to make the bloody thing work! It came with DOS 3 I think (or 2 point something), and some form of Basic as it was naturally assumed that you would be doing some programming.
Sadly I went to Europe in 1988 and while I was away (19 years) my family donated it to the Rural Fire Service. I hope they got many years use out of it, it was a very well designed and built machine.
Ah, happy days.

I started to mess with computers as a kid with a Vic20, then came the Commodore64 (with GEOS, who remembers that?), an Amiga 500 we used for playing Zork and browsing BBS's and finally my first PC, whose specs were similar to your 1987 machine.
Since then, a lot of water has flowed under the bridges, as we say here.. ;)

Back in the day I messed around with Poser 4 quite a bit, but never really created any real artwork with it, and looking at DAZ3D now, I'm just overwhelmed by the complexity of the UI compared to the old Poser. I understand how to take the included figures and pose them but when it comes to creating a scene, adding clothes, props and lighting etc, I'm really struggling how to do it, and as for creating body morphs and skin texturing, I don't have a clue :(

Oh yeah and that happened to the genitalia on/off option? The old Poser had this but DAZ3D doesn't seem to include this, making it pretty much useles for erotic artwork :(

Poser 4 was WAY easier to use as well, but won't work on any computer with more than 512Mb RAM (ironically it throws an "out of memory" error). DAZ3D just seems way too complicated by comparison :(

Also, I have several CDs full of Poser content (some bought, some downloaded free). Will this stuff work in DAZ3D? And if so, how do I import it.

Also, I'd like to create realistic body types, rather than the default fashion model type figures that seem to be the standard. I know I can use the body shaping controls on Gen3 but they seem very limited in practice.

I've read through the manuals (several times) but they just end up confusing me even more. I would like to see some step-by-step instructions on some of the basic stuff. I think that would be great for people like myself who are just getting started with this sort of thing.

I have many, many more questions but these seem like a reasonable place to start.

All the figures can be equipped with genitalia (sold separately.) Anyway, there are alternatives to DAZ genitals, for example this - amazing - product for G3F:

https://www.renderotica.com/store/sku/50962_New-Gens-For-Victoria-7

This product is for various male base characters (no G3M)

https://www.renderotica.com/store/sku/56204_TaB-Poser-v1-02-Core-Pack

3D softwares ARE complicated. Studio is more user-friendly than Poser, in my opinion, but - as I said - you have to invest time and the learning curve is steep.
Older Poser material is generally speaking compatible with Studio. Of course, very old stuff will have its limitations. There are tutorials on how to use it, but I can help with specific models if you want.
Keep in mind that DAZ's policy is to sell base figures and then a million of "add-ons" like muscle, face and body morphs and so on. That's how they make money.
Manuals are pretty useless, IMO.
The best way to learn is to read the forums and ask questions. Artists are often more than happy to help.
Again, check the video tutorials on Youtube.
If you have questions, I'm available to help.

All the figures can be equipped with genitalia (sold separately.) Anyway, there are alternatives to DAZ genitals, for example this - amazing - product for G3F:

https://www.renderotica.com/store/sku/50962_New-Gens-For-Victoria-7
A bit pricey for something I'd only use on odd occasions - maybe I can find a free copy somewhere. This is the internet, after all - everything is available free if you spend enough time searching for it.

Studio is more user-friendly than Poser
Really? I find it quite the reverse. I guess it depends on what you're used to, but I find Poser 4/5 very easy but DAZ confuses the hell out of me :(

Keep in mind that DAZ's policy is to sell base figures and then a million of "add-ons" like muscle, face and body morphs and so on. That's how they make money.

Something the the open source community may be able to help with then...

A bit pricey for something I'd only use on odd occasions - maybe I can find a free copy somewhere. This is the internet, after all - everything is available free if you spend enough time searching for it.

Really? I find it quite the reverse. I guess it depends on what you're used to, but I find Poser 4/5 very easy but DAZ confuses the hell out of me :(

Something the the open source community may be able to help with then...

I have some experience with Poser, but have done most of my work with Studio. About the complexity, it depends on what you want to do, and every program has it flaws and its merits. Poser's interface is very unique but also a bit surpassed, in my opinion.

Daz Studio is compatible with most of the poser content,its actually using the same directory structure.
You don't need to import the poser content just show Daz Studio where your "My library" folder is located.
There can be some tweaking of the surface (shading) necessary but its not really complicated.

As for creating new body morph and skin texturing most of us use already created character done by someone else.

What we do is add the blood and whip marks to the skin texture:that is an art by itself ,i have to admit that i'm never really satisfied with my own results,one of the best artist in this art right now is SkatingJesus (sorry for the other artist out there SkatingJesus is the first one that come up to mind .....)

As for myself i did try Poser for a while but came back to Daz as i already learn ow to use it i found no real advantage in using poser,i guess we stick to the first software that we learn to use.

Attachments

• 2017-06-06 13_04_39-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro.jpg
    2017-06-06 13_04_39-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
Oh yeah and what happened to the genitalia on/off option? The old Poser had this but DAZ3D doesn't seem to include this, making it pretty much useless for erotic artwork :(

Somebody named Deslea on DeviantArt made a free genital morph for Genesis 2 that works fairly well.
http://deslea.deviantart.com/art/Free-Daz-Morph-Genesis-2-Female-Gens-425132294

You can also edit the torso skin texture with a .png layer of real vagina that you can find on the internet in some
erotic web site where some generous lady volunteer to share their private parts for the benefit of us all :)

I do have some in my archives,maybe i can upload them here...

Attachments

• V5BreeTorsoM_Nipples standard.jpg
    V5BreeTorsoM_Nipples standard.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 60
  • V5BreeTorsoM_Nipples+real gen1a.jpg
    V5BreeTorsoM_Nipples+real gen1a.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Genesis2 +deslea+torso texture edited.jpg
    Genesis2 +deslea+torso texture edited.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Genesis2 ghost in the shell style.jpg
    Genesis2 ghost in the shell style.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 86
Somebody named Deslea on DeviantArt made a free genital morph for Genesis 2 that works fairly well.
http://deslea.deviantart.com/art/Free-Daz-Morph-Genesis-2-Female-Gens-425132294

You can also edit the torso skin texture with a .png layer of real vagina that you can find on the internet in some
erotic web site where some generous lady volunteer to share their private parts for the benefit of us all :)

I do have some in my archives,maybe i can upload them here...

Thanks, but the download button doesn't work :(

Back
Top Bottom