How To Talk For Artists And Users (Rendering)

Go to CruxDreams.com
For artists

There's a consistent error in the depictions of nailed victims here. When someone is crucified, the nail driven through each wrist damages the nerve that controls the thumb, and the thumb contracts into the hand. I've watched a number of shows about the Shroud of Turin, and one point made is that the figure has no thumbs. Medical consultants point to studies done on corpses that confirm the nerve damage. So it's impossible for the victim's thumb to spread the way artists show it. This is not just our artists here doing this, it's most of the art throughout history. One "good" thing I got from my Catholic indoctrination, I suppose, was the emphasis on crucifixion in general.

And by the way, the Romans paraded the victim naked through the very narrow city streets as a humiliation, with (his) arms bound to the crossbeam and the crowd hemming (him) in. In that way, the poor bastard would have to turn sideways, exposing (his) body to the tender mercies of the spectators, to strike or spit on, or trip (him), whatever they wanted to do.

Pax Romana was enforced with heavy doses of cruelty!

Just thought you'd be interested. See "The Day Christ Died," by Jim Bishop (author of "The Day Lincoln Was Shot") for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget artists make their own choices.
Not everything has to be like "historical accurate"
Every artist has his/her own set of ideas they like to express in a pic.

If you have certain ideas you want to see, you can ask an artist, commision an artist.
OR make the pics yourself;)

Disagree on romans letting the crowd full acces to the victim to be crucified in the streets.
An uncontrolled violent mob is not something the roman or any other authorities would like to have on their hands.

Also too much can go wrong, mercy killing, accidental killing, victim breaking bones.

controlled mobs spitting or throwing all kind of shits form a distance yes I can see that happen.

I think Circee's Walk of Shame in Games of Thrones show a good general idea of a controlled mob.
come to close and you might get your brains smashed in.

The crucifixion was about showing power and dominance.
Break the Roman order and this happens to you.

The message is certainly diluted if you let the mob severly hurt->half or fully kill the one to be crucified.

Pax Romana was enforced with cruelty, yes but first and fore most it was state sanctioned cruelty.

added some punctuation/corrected spelling

There's a consistent error in the depictions of nailed victims here. When someone is crucified, the nail driven through each wrist damages the nerve that controls the thumb, and the thumb contracts into the hand.
The thing is, many of us are manip artists, working in a collage style, not biologists or students of anatomy. Often we work with photo images that have to be slightly altered just to fit a cross or whipping post. We don't often concentrate on minute detail like the position of the thumb. Also, the purpose of our art is not to be anatomically correct, but to convey a scene that is emotional, aesthetically pleasing, erotic, amusing, or whatever. These images are not meant to be technically correct. That said, there is no real rule that an artist can't pay attention to these details, but I would argue that they are a secondary consideration. It's a lot of work just to move an arm, never mind replace a thumb or entire hand, with colour and light blending, and it's often not as nice a result as just leaving the original hand, however positioned, in place.

I think I probably should have kept my mouth shut on this, then, considering that I know next to nothing about your work. I probably came across as an ass. I should have been more careful to emphasize that I respect the skills you artists have. It was a case of me failing to engage my brain before I put my mouth in gear. You would think I should recognize that tendency in myself after so many years of living.

You brought up a point of view, no problem:)
Thats what forums are for (and for answers/other POV's)

Cheers mate!

I think I probably should have kept my mouth shut on this, then, considering that I know next to nothing about your work. I probably came across as an ass. I should have been more careful to emphasize that I respect the skills you artists have. It was a case of me failing to engage my brain before I put my mouth in gear. You would think I should recognize that tendency in myself after so many years of living.
Before you starting the next thread, please check the table of threads before, for similar topics.

Not a problem Whipmaster, you've raised an interesting point.

Some artists do the "thumb" thing, but it's not that common. Yusebby often did, along with curling a couple of the fingers, as in these pics
csK201.gifcxy001.gifcxy002.gifcxy004.gifcxy011.gif

This is almost what you describe, two manips based on the same source material
KAREN 26.jpgGabriel Roman arena 156.1-.jpg

The thing is, many of us are manip artists, working in a collage style, not biologists or students of anatomy. Often we work with photo images that have to be slightly altered just to fit a cross or whipping post. We don't often concentrate on minute detail like the position of the thumb. Also, the purpose of our art is not to be anatomically correct, but to convey a scene that is emotional, aesthetically pleasing, erotic, amusing, or whatever. These images are not meant to be technically correct. That said, there is no real rule that an artist can't pay attention to these details, but I would argue that they are a secondary consideration. It's a lot of work just to move an arm, never mind replace a thumb or entire hand, with colour and light blending, and it's often not as nice a result as just leaving the original hand, however positioned, in place.

Like Jolly says, with manips you can do almost anything, but it's a lot harder if you work against the grain, best to work with what you have.

Also, I suspect that the thumb across the palm is just not seen as attractive, not "emotional, aesthetically pleasing, erotic, amusing, or whatever"

There's a consistent error in the depictions of nailed victims here. When someone is crucified, the nail driven through each wrist damages the nerve that controls the thumb, and the thumb contracts into the hand. I've watched a number of shows about the Shroud of Turin, and one point made is that the figure has no thumbs. Medical consultants point to studies done on corpses that confirm the nerve damage. So it's impossible for the victim's thumb to spread the way artists show it. This is not just our artists here doing this, it's most of the art throughout history. One "good" thing I got from my Catholic indoctrination, I suppose, was the emphasis on crucifixion in general.
A right point you make here.

For artists

There's a consistent error in the depictions of nailed victims here. When someone is crucified, the nail driven through each wrist damages the nerve that controls the thumb, and the thumb contracts into the hand.

Though I don't often do crux renders (crux is secondary to lesbian fun for me) I always try to portray this accurately in my attempts, as in this one from a couple of months back;
Jenny crucifiedA.jpg

There is no need to apologise (not to me anyway). I welcome critical appraisal of my work - it drives me on to become a better artist.

Could someone give me the .duf file for the genesis 8 female? It should be in the people folder of your daz directory. My main workstation computer isn’t connected to the internet and I don’t have admin private’s of computers that are. I just need the base figure for genesis 8.

Back
Top Bottom