Image Database / Indexing

Go to CruxDreams.com
I need to organize my collection of images / videos and am wondering if somebody has made good experience with some of the gallery products that are out there for that task?

The most important feature I am looking for is meta-tagging the images/videos, so I can find them.

I need to organize my collection of images / videos and am wondering if somebody has made good experience with some of the gallery products that are out there for that task?

The most important feature I am looking for is meta-tagging the images/videos, so I can find them.
picasa (and it is for free

picasa (and it is for free
Yes, but it's from Google! ;)

Who knows what is being sent to Google... (Picasa does send data to Google).
I have got to be a bit sceptical concerning any Google products, as Google is making a good part of their money by intruding privacy and selling the information that has been gained. That's why I'll never have an Android system or use a Google browser....

Turning point for me was when Google made a statement that they don't need the streetview cars any more to collect WLAN information because "Android devices are doing this now" (in other words: Every Android handy is also a data collection tool for Google!) and when they claimed that it was "unintended that not only the names of WLANs were gathered but actually the networks have been penetrated and data has been pulled from the networks...".

[SATIRE]
Now I finally know why my laptop harddisk is full all the time, all the data out of my neighbours WLANS is filling it up, all by itself, without any action by me...!
[/SATIRE]

But back to the theme.
The main thing I am looking for is "taging images/videos" with as many tags as I want and later being able to find them using those tags.
Picasa seems to be more of a "album generation and upload (to Google) frontend" than a indexing database.
Further I don't like that Picasa cannot be told to search one specific directory only, it is indexing either "my documents" only, or the whole computer, right?

I like the name, seems to be somehow "just right for crux pics! ;)
Thanks for the hint, will have a look at it.

I like the name, seems to be somehow "just right for crux pics! ;)
Thanks for the hint, will have a look at it.
no big brothers (only Big brother Imagemaker hint it):D
i'll will give it a try too

no big brothers (only Big brother Imagemaker hint it):D
i'll will give it a try too
Looks like a good tool for Videos, Books and Movies.
And as it is open source, it is sure not containing spyware or anything along the line.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/datacrow/reviews/

Thanks for the link, Imagemaker, I think the Videos-Part is covered with that!

Now, does there exist an Picture-Crow? ;)

Interesting. But does it support managing metatags for easy picture finding based on things like author, topic, kind of replroduction etc.?

Interesting. But does it support managing metatags for easy picture finding based on things like author, topic, kind of replroduction etc.?

Sadly there is no search option in Faststone,its probably not what you are looking for:-(

I use it mostly to browse my pictures, and to do some editing (color correction,cropping,etc)

The features list from the help file:
  • Image browser and viewer with a familiar Windows Explorer-like user interface
  • Support of many popular image formats:

• True Full Screen viewer with image zoom support and unique fly-out menu panels
  • Crystal-clear and customizable one-click image magnifier
  • Powerful image editing tools: Resize/resample, rotate/flip, crop, sharpen/blur, adjust lighting/colors/curves/levels etc.
  • Eleven re-sampling algorithms to choose from when resizing images
  • Image color effects: gray scale, sepia, negative, Red/Green/Blue adjustment
  • Image special effects: annotation, drop shadow, framing, bump map, sketch, oil painting, lens
  • Draw texts, lines, highlights, rectangles, ovals and callout objects on images
  • Clone Stamp and Healing Brush
  • Superior Red-Eye effect removal/reduction with completely natural looking end result
  • Multi-level Undo/Redo capability
  • One-touch best fit/actual size image display support
  • Image management, including tagging capability, with drag-and-drop and Copy To/Move To Folder support
  • Histogram display with color counter feature
  • Compare images side-by-side (up to 4 at a time) to easily cull those forgettable shots
  • Image EXIF metadata support (plus comment editing for JPEGs)
  • Configurable batch processing to convert/rename large or small collections of images
  • Slideshow creation with 150+ transition effects and music support (MP3, WMA, WAV...)
  • Create efficient image attachment(s) for emailing to family and friends
  • Print images with full page-layout control
  • Create fully configurable Contact Sheets
  • Create memorable artistic image montages from your family photos for personalized desktop wallpapers (Wallpaper Anywhere)
  • Acquire images from a scanner. Support batch scanning to PDF, TIFF, JPEG and PNG
  • Versatile screen capture capability
  • Powerful Save As interface to compare image quality and control generated file size
  • Run favorite programs with one keystroke from within Image Viewer
  • Offer portable version of the program which can be run from a removable storage device
  • Configurable mouse wheel support
  • Support multiple program skins
  • Support dual-monitor configurations
  • And much more...

Yeah, what I am specifically looking for is a tool that lets me organize the images, preferrably by meta-taging them because a database wil work only if the images are not moved by hand.

Thanks for the hint anyway.

Back
Top Bottom