Go to CruxDreams.com

Wragg

Chronicler of Crux
Staff member
It was the tiniest glance, a mere flicker. But it was enough for Jasmine to realise that Helena and Rebecca were utterly without hope. At that moment she knew for certain that they would end the day nude and screaming on their crosses, and that nothing she could say or do would alter that.

That momentary exchange between them told her that the Proconsul was a mere puppet in the hands of her half-brother, Marcus. Money or blackmail, she didn’t know, but she did know that the Proconsul would do exactly what Marcus wanted.

Mercifully, Helena hadn’t realised it. She still believed the Proconsul to be honest and just. “Please, sir, we didn’t hide the knife under Rebecca’s bed. We didn’t harm the master. We loved him!”

“’Loved him!’” Marcus spat his contempt. “Come on, everyone knows that my father just used you both as playthings, sexual toys. Cheaper than going to the brothel. You hated him, and….” He paused for emphasis, “you MURDERED him!”

“Please! You have to believe us! We didn’t kill him! We’ve never seen that knife before in our lives!” Rebecca was also unaware that her fate was sealed.

“Lying cunts.” Marcus sneered. “Sluts.”

Jasmine would have murdered Marcus, given a chance. She did hate him.

“We’re not lying! Please!”

Jasmine looked at her. How could anyone wish her harm? Even though she was a slave, she was bright, pretty, and vivacious. If she had a fault it was that she was too trusting. Jasmine was terribly fond of both Rebecca and Helena, and she knew that Helena loved Rebecca, too. She’d seen how they were together.

Jasmine considered the situation. These were just slaves, mere chattels, she thought. Calphurnus had treated them reasonably well, but she knew that Marcus wouldn’t. With the death of Calphurnus, their lives had altered irrevocably for the worse, unless Marcus put them up for sale and they happened to find another kind Master. Unlikely in the extreme.

She didn’t believe for one instant that they had murdered her father – they were both bright enough to realise that they would never find a better master, and they were both bright enough to know that flight was their only hope if they were guilty of murder. Neither had made the slightest effort to escape. But they were not worldly-wise enough to realise that they were being framed.

So what? The world was an unjust place. What did a couple of foreign slaves matter? Jasmine had enough problems of her own, especially if her half-brother was going to inherit everything.

Yet there was only one problem. These were slaves. If the Proconsul pronounced them guilty of murder, he wouldn’t sentence them to a quick death. They would be crucified. She doubted if he would even bother to flog them so that they died quicker – they might hang there in humiliated agony for days!

She had to try. She owed them that, at least. She addressed the Proconsul. “Sire, nobody in their right mind murders their master and then hides the bloodstained knife beneath their own bed, where it is sure to be found! Surely it is obvious to the court that the knife was planted there by….” she paused for emphasis, “…by the real murderer!”

The look that Marcus bestowed on her was one of pure loathing. Then – there it was again! That quick exchange of looks between the Proconsul and Marcus. Jasmine should have saved her breath.

“Your view was not invited,” said the Proconsul. “The court realises that you are in mourning for your father, and we extend our sympathies. Nevertheless it is not a woman’s place to become involved in matters of justice, and I must urge you to remain silent. However, I will answer your point. These are not Romans, these are foreign slaves. They do not think like we do. The knife is evidence that they murdered their master. We need not concern ourselves with why. Nor do we need to speculate which of them committed this terrible act. It is certain that they conspired with each other.”

He gazed at the two slaves. “Helena and Rebecca, slaves of Rome, this court has found you guilty of the murder of your Master, Calphurnus. You will be put to death by crucifixion. The sentence will be carried out immediately.”

Rebecca started to cry, but Helena shrieked in despair. “We did NOT murder our Master! Sir! You HAVE to believe us! Please! We loved him! Please! Sir! Not the cross! Not crucifixion! We have done no harm to anyone! Sir – you MUST see that!”

If she had any impact on the Proconsul, he did not show it. “Take them away!” he ordered. The guards grabbed the terrified women and marched them off through the door.

Only Jasmine noticed the tiny nod that the Proconsul gave to Marcus. She sighed, then turned and followed the execution party. She would try to stay close to them while they suffered. It was the least she could do.

She would try to stay close to them while they suffered. It was the least she could do
Uhhh, with Jasmine as the title character... we must fear that her staying close to them leads to a situation where "the least she could do" becomes the utmost sacrifice... he gave a stern warning... it is not a woman’s place to become involved in matters of justice ... and it's not her place to interfere with the agreement between Marcus and the Proconsul ... otherwise this woman's place might be another cross...

One can only hope Wragg did not realize Tree's official title at CF is 'Proconsul'...:mad:

And you're nobody's 'mere puppet' :rolleyes:

And your standards of justice are famed throughout the empire :D

Seriously, though, in this one I shall avoid 'borrowing' characters from cfs.

Oh no! Two unjustly condemned slave girls.:confused:
One can only wonder what young Jasmine will do to thwart her brother's evil plans :rolleyes: (like that's going to happen).:devil:

A great start.

Uhhh, with Jasmine as the title character... we must fear that her staying close to them leads to a situation where "the least she could do" becomes the utmost sacrifice... he gave a stern warning... it is not a woman’s place to become involved in matters of justice ... and it's not her place to interfere with the agreement between Marcus and the Proconsul ... otherwise this woman's place might be another cross...

Oh dear. I had not immediately grasped that. Now I am afraid for our Jasmine.:eek::doh:
Please carry on, as Tree already suggested.

The proconsul must be well greased; crucifying an ingenua isn't something done lightly.... or on the cheap.

....but couldn't it go just the other way round? jasmine finds strong friends, perhaps some senators, and marcus and the proconsul are tortured for obvious unjustice and then crucified themselves - jasmine smiling when she looks at her naked half-brother at the cross? (and doesn't jasmine like to look at the penis of a crucified man?)

Apart from the other considerations, ... I just don't think anyone ever was crucified for injustice...
Vespasian had Vitellius' trusted freedman Asiaticus, who had been created Roman eques, crucified.

'Asiaticus (who was a freedman) expiated his evil power by the servile punishment.' (Tacitus)

Asiaticus was pretty far from being just, but he also ended up on the losing side in a civil war.

Senators were pretty much immune. A scholiast to Juvenal mentions Gaius Silius, a 'husband' of Messaline, as crucified by Claudius, but come on. :doh:

You always have to choose the most appropriate forum, and I did positively select 'Crucified Women'.

And yes, doctor, Crucified Women is my kink, it's why I log on most days. I've given up looking for a cure, but Cruxforums is the most effective treatment! :)

But the occasional crucified man, as Jedakk, among others, has ably demonstrated, adds verisimilitude ;)

Right ho, on with the story....

With typical Roman efficiency, the dismal procession was made ready for the journey to the South Gate. Suspecting the outcome of the ‘trial’, the carnifex had already prepared a couple of patibuli, the timber cross-pieces, for Helena and Rebecca to carry.

“Do I get to give them a thrashing, sir?” asked one of the assistants, hopefully.

“Did the Proconsul mention whipping, or scourging? Tell me if he did, I may have misheard him….” There was a dangerous edge to the Carnifex’ question.

“No, sir…”

“’No sir’. What he in fact said, was ‘sentence to be carried out immediately’, so you don’t get to give them anything.” The assistant had a tell-tale bulge in his pants, clearly he was looking forward to his day’s work.

“Come on, you lazy fuckers!” bellowed the Carnifex. “’Immediately’ means ‘now’! Not tomorrow morning! Get on with it!”

Rebecca caught sight of Jasmine, watching. “My lady! Please! You have to stop them! You have to make them understand!”

Jasmine didn’t know what to say. “I….I’m sorry…..”

“Don’t you believe us, either?” Helena begged, “Please say you believe us!”

“I do believe you, but…”

“THEN MAKE THEM STOP! Don’t you realise what they are going to do to us? Look at the blood on that wood! That’ll be our blood, soon! Owww! My God….how am I supposed to carry that?”

Two of the Carnifex’ assistants had placed a beam across her shoulders. They pulled her arms up over it so that she was holding it.

“My lady, help us! Please! It’s so heavy. Oh, God, what’s that? What’s it say?”

The Carniflex, the only one who was literate, had written, or rather scrawled, a sign: ‘HELENA: HOMICIDA’, and hung it round her neck, like a grotesque necklace.

“It says, ‘Helena, Murderess’” Jasmine told her.

“But it’s wrong! I'm not a murderess! Tell them it’s wrong! My lady, are you going to just stand by and watch them do this?”

“Helena, listen to me. I did what I could. I’m sorry. I know you didn’t murder my father. Please believe that. But I have no power to stop this! I wish I did!”

By now, Rebecca also had her patibulum and her sign, and the procession set off.

“I’ll stay with you! I promise I’ll stay with you!”

“My lady,” said Rebecca, grunting beneath her cross. “You don’t have to. Go home. Forget us. Owww!” A whip caught her across the legs.

“No talking!” growled one of the roman guards. “Just walk!”

“Is that really necessary?” demanded Jasmine. “We both know they’re innocent!”

“My lady, take my advice. The Carnifex is getting tired of your interference. If you are saying His Honour the Procurator has made a mistake, go and tell him so to his face. If not, or if you actually wish to live, you had better do as the slave says, be quiet and forget them. Leave them to us!”

Jasmine could see the truth of his words. In her distress she was in danger of making a spectacle of herself. Tears of frustration poured down her cheeks. “Well, at least, please be gentle with them.”

He laughed. “Gentle? We’re going to crucify them, Miss! Have you ever seen a gentle crucifixion?”

Helena heard this, and her knees gave way in terror. Rebecca, following, fell over her, and the two of them sprawled on the cobbles. The house fronts echoed their screams and the sound of tumbling timber.

“See what you’ve done? You’re not helping them!” snarled the soldier.

The process of restoring order required a lot of shouted orders, whipping, screaming, and cursing. Eventually the two slave girls were back on their way, though bruised and bloodied from the accident.

Jasmine followed behind, in silence. She accepted the inevitability of the forthcoming crucifixions, as she had done from the moment she’d seen that glance from the Procurator. She felt guilty about her impotence to help, and she felt guilty about something else. She realised that she could feel moisture in and around her vagina. Why did the prospect of the crucifixion of these two young women make her feel aroused?

“Jas! Where are you going?” The call invaded her thoughts, and she looked up, startled. It was Cassia, her oldest friend.

“Hi Cassia!”

“You going to see a crucifixion? Can I come?”

“Of course….I’d be glad of the company!”

“My god, look! They are girls! Not a day over twenty-five, either of them! What have they done?” She ran ahead a couple of steps to see Rebecca’s sign. “Murder? Really?”

“They are our house slaves, Cassia. They’ve been convicted of murdering my father.”

“Your father? Your father is dead? Oh, Jas, I’m so sorry! He was a lovely man! And they murdered him?” She grabbed a stone and threw it at Rebecca. “Witch! Go to hell, you murdering bitch!”

“Cassia, please! Don’t! I don’t think they did it.”

“Really? But they’ve been found guilty! They must have done it!”

“I can’t say any more. I’ve already been threatened with my life. Let’s just say I’m not having a good day. Just….hold my hand.”

Instead, Cassia put her arm around her shoulder. Jasmine reflected on the difference between the warmth and comfort of her friend’s arm and the weight and terror of the crosses being borne by Rebecca and Helena.

The South Gate loomed ahead. Beyond, a naked, writhing man had already been crucified. He hung, howling, from four vicious looking spikes.

Helena saw him, screamed, and collapsed again. Rebecca came safely to a halt behind her, still holding her cross. She just looked at the crucified man. She stood there, sobbing, and the only other sign of her distress was a puddle of urine that appeared on the cobbles beneath her feet.

Back
Top Bottom