Jastrow's Pic of the Day

Go to CruxDreams.com
Sunday, December 30, 2018--Tree–If I could use just 2 nails, I’d do it... It can be done, but I can’t conceive of any way you could do it with just one nail, however. A few things to consider as you reduce the number of nails used. 1.) Nails are reusable. Once the person nailed to the cross.....no longer NEEDS them, they can be pried out and used again or even be re-forged if needed. I don’t see a big cost savings in reducing the number of nails used. 2.) It is difficult enough to restrain a struggling prisoner enough to drive a single nail through a single wrist or ankle. Holding them in place so one can drive it through two limbs would be even more difficult. I don’t think the condemned would be of much assistance in aiding you in this endeavor... I expect they would be fighting you like a deranged person throughout the process. 3.) By using a single nail through two limbs, you cut the holding power of the nail in half since you would have twice the weight and twice the muscle strength pulling against it. While it seems unlikely, it might be possible for a determined prisoner to somehow dislodge the nail. It would, I realize, come at a very painful price, but it might be possible for a desperate prisoner to do so. Just some thoughts...

Attachments

• Two Nail Crux 12 30.jpg
    Two Nail Crux 12 30.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,137
Sunday, December 30, 2018--Tree–If I could use just 2 nails, I’d do it... It can be done, but I can’t conceive of any way you could do it with just one nail, however.

Well you have used two nails, and it occurs to me that a crux simplex crucifixion is a diabolical mercy; hung by her wrists like this she'll asphyxiate rather quickly.

Not much of a show. Pity, that. :eek::oops:

Attachments

• 698250D6-E403-4A8C-B5D5-6BBDDE10F1C2.jpeg
    698250D6-E403-4A8C-B5D5-6BBDDE10F1C2.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 1,095
Sunday, December 30, 2018--Tree–If I could use just 2 nails, I’d do it... It can be done, but I can’t conceive of any way you could do it with just one nail, however. A few things to consider as you reduce the number of nails used. 1.) Nails are reusable. Once the person nailed to the cross.....no longer NEEDS them, they can be pried out and used again or even be re-forged if needed. I don’t see a big cost savings in reducing the number of nails used. 2.) It is difficult enough to restrain a struggling prisoner enough to drive a single nail through a single wrist or ankle. Holding them in place so one can drive it through two limbs would be even more difficult. I don’t think the condemned would be of much assistance in aiding you in this endeavor... I expect they would be fighting you like a deranged person throughout the process. 3.) By using a single nail through two limbs, you cut the holding power of the nail in half since you would have twice the weight and twice the muscle strength pulling against it. While it seems unlikely, it might be possible for a determined prisoner to somehow dislodge the nail. It would, I realize, come at a very painful price, but it might be possible for a desperate prisoner to do so. Just some thoughts...
I am a fan of three nails. Any more is waste and any less is too much work!

And so the old year passes! At the start of last year, I set a goal of posting a new image of mine each day through the upcoming year. I’d been inspired by some of the desk calendars I’ve had over the years where each day brought a new image. (The Far Side Calendar was one of my favorites!) I think I underestimated the difficulty it would be to do so. Some days it was great fun, other days it was a bit of a chore to find an appropriate image. Still, I am very satisfied with the results. All told, I posted 497 images during the past year–373 reposts from my archive (many of them which were cleaned up and reworked) and 124 new totally new images never posted before.

Some folks have asked if I will be continuing this thread after the start of the new year. The answer is ‘no ’ (Please hold your cheers and applause.) Frankly, this was a lot of work and I need a break, plus I have some real-life, non crux-related things that I need to attend to–especially in the 1st quarter of 2019. This is not to say that I won’t be back. I’ll try to post a few things when I have the time or feel so inclined. Maybe it will be in a new thread–"Jastrow's Pic of the Week" or of the month or year or decade or century or millennium, I don’t know. We will see. But I do want to express my thanks for the support and encouragement I’ve received from you over the past year. Your likes, comments, suggestions and observations were much appreciated. I hope my work occasionally brightened your day.

And so, like the trio pictured below, with a touch of sadness as I head off into the sunset, for a while, at least, I keep thinking of the words of Old Blue Eyes:

"For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way."

Best of luck to you all in the coming year.

Attachments

• Into the Sunset 12 31.jpg
    Into the Sunset 12 31.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,168
But I do want to express my thanks for the support and encouragement I’ve received from you over the past year. Your likes, comments, suggestions and observations were much appreciated. I hope my work occasionally brightened your day.

You're welcome.

And it did, and thanks. Lots. ;)

And by the way, excellent last entry. She will be shared.:very_hot:

Attachments

• 77F5DB07-A811-472F-B67D-5CE9BD6BC5F4.jpeg
    77F5DB07-A811-472F-B67D-5CE9BD6BC5F4.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,147

Talk about economy/minded ... geeze! :rolleyes:

A year ago, Jastrow, you surprised us with your announcement, to post one of your drawings every single day of 2018.
You kept word, you managed to do it, which, I realize, must not always have been an easy job. During 365 consecutive days, I impatiently looked out for your next posting that day. You have indulged us with so plenty of great pics. Thanks very much for that, and I wish you a happy 2019.

And so the old year passes! At the start of last year, I set a goal of posting a new image of mine each day through the upcoming year. I’d been inspired by some of the desk calendars I’ve had over the years where each day brought a new image. (The Far Side Calendar was one of my favorites!) I think I underestimated the difficulty it would be to do so. Some days it was great fun, other days it was a bit of a chore to find an appropriate image. Still, I am very satisfied with the results. All told, I posted 497 images during the past year–373 reposts from my archive (many of them which were cleaned up and reworked) and 124 new totally new images never posted before.

Some folks have asked if I will be continuing this thread after the start of the new year. The answer is ‘no ’ (Please hold your cheers and applause.) Frankly, this was a lot of work and I need a break, plus I have some real-life, non crux-related things that I need to attend to–especially in the 1st quarter of 2019. This is not to say that I won’t be back. I’ll try to post a few things when I have the time or feel so inclined. Maybe it will be in a new thread–"Jastrow's Pic of the Week" or of the month or year or decade or century or millennium, I don’t know. We will see. But I do want to express my thanks for the support and encouragement I’ve received from you over the past year. Your likes, comments, suggestions and observations were much appreciated. I hope my work occasionally brightened your day.

And so, like the trio pictured below, with a touch of sadness as I head off into the sunset, for a while, at least, I keep thinking of the words of Old Blue Eyes:

And did it my way."

Truly, this thread is among the treasures of the Forums,
a very, very big
thankyou, Jastrow

And did it my way."

Only one more manip from me 2018.
Cherio, Jastow!
:Saeufer:

Attachments

• Madiosi-2018-498-BarbBug.jpg
    Madiosi-2018-498-BarbBug.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 841
I have enjoyed this thread very much - a showcase of your work, Jastrow, and all the more impressive for being so consistently curated. :clapping::clapping::clapping: I have certainly appreciated you work far more than my meagre comments may have suggested. :oops::confused:

Superb work, and a memorable addition to the library and tradition of CF. Best wishes in 2019, wherever that takes you, and many thanks!
2019-01-01 22.57.53.jpg

And did it my way."

Thank you so much, Jastrow, for your gifts of beautiful works!

Warning! RL disgusting information!

Such research has been done. In William L. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, he details the experiments done on prisoners (either political opponents or Jews) in the Nazi rocket program. They were planning to send maned rockets up and wanted to know about the effects of cold temperatures at high altitudes. So the 'researchers' immersed subjects in ice water to measure the speed of heat loss and body temperature drop (as measured anally). They obtained data on time to death.
But, they didn't stop there. They then began to try to revive the subjects by various warming techniques. They even tried (get ready for it - I'm sure some have already guessed) sexual intercourse as a warming technique (BTW, sex wasn't better than the other techniques in speed of warming - they didn't bother to measure prisoners' satisfaction).

I did not look this up now. It is all from memory from when I read the book at 14 (57 years ago and very well on the way to sadism). However, the reality of the poor victims so grossed me out I had no enjoyment of the stories. "Then I curl up in a fetal ball and whimper" - good description!:oops::facepalm::boaa:

Treatment of hypothermia has come a long way since the Nazis' abuse of science and humanity. Patients have been bought back from apparent death by prompt treatment (see Wikipedia entry on Hypothermia). Sadly the benefits of modern medicine are not available to people nailed naked to crosses.

Hypothermia can take less than 24 hours to kill even at 10C, and a couple of hours at 0C. Wind chill and being wet can reduce this even further. As ways to die go it may not be too unpleasant, as drowsiness and unconsciousness can occur quite early in the process of dying. I suspect this is why crucifixion seems to be more popular in warm climes rather than the cold north, and even then dying in the cold hours of the morning was probably common.

One peculiarity of hypothermia is called "Paradoxical Undressing". Mountain rescuers report finding frozen climbers with their clothes folded neatly by them. One stage of the confusion caused by hypothermia is feeling hot and taking clothes off to "cool down"! Doctors don't know why this happens, but arctic explorers are trained to watch out for this sort of delusion in their team-mates. Maybe a new section of the "Nude Out of Place" thread?

I feel the urge to write a story with a couple of guards, huddled around their fire on a cold night, and amazed when the naked girl on the cross with snow settling on her breasts complains she is too hot!

Treatment of hypothermia has come a long way since the Nazis' abuse of science and humanity. Patients have been bought back from apparent death by prompt treatment (see Wikipedia entry on Hypothermia). Sadly the benefits of modern medicine are not available to people nailed naked to crosses.

Hypothermia can take less than 24 hours to kill even at 10C, and a couple of hours at 0C. Wind chill and being wet can reduce this even further. As ways to die go it may not be too unpleasant, as drowsiness and unconsciousness can occur quite early in the process of dying. I suspect this is why crucifixion seems to be more popular in warm climes rather than the cold north, and even then dying in the cold hours of the morning was probably common.

One peculiarity of hypothermia is called "Paradoxical Undressing". Mountain rescuers report finding frozen climbers with their clothes folded neatly by them. One stage of the confusion caused by hypothermia is feeling hot and taking clothes off to "cool down"! Doctors don't know why this happens, but arctic explorers are trained to watch out for this sort of delusion in their team-mates. Maybe a new section of the "Nude Out of Place" thread?

I feel the urge to write a story with a couple of guards, huddled around their fire on a cold night, and amazed when the naked girl on the cross with snow settling on her breasts complains she is too hot!
The Nazi’s fixation with hypothermia is also seen in the recent movie The twelfth man.

Excellent Idea! I could suggest several cruxgirls who are clearly too hot!:very_hot::very_hot:

Back
Top Bottom