Just asking what everyone thinks is the most realistic crucifixion they've seen.

Go to CruxDreams.com
There is no any irony in my phrase...
I'm really pleased with this fact. And this pointless chase is over.

When reading that quote, it seems that you 're unpleased to not be in the selection.

But what you said is the truth, and that you' re happy that your work is not hyped anymore, I still wonder why you come here again.

Your Deviantart page must be full of people who enjoy now your recent theme changes, and that's good to you, but here, it's still about crux stuff.

I don't know why you 're still show that you're here, if you don't want to be seen here.

Guys, please, why don't you two get a dedicated thread where you can argue to your heart's content.

SJ, I am here and I find crux not that interesting. As for realism, the art in this thread is very good, but is it really realistic to depict only beautiful young females with pale skin as the victims of crucifixion (or to depict one crucified together with a man on the same cross)? Assuming women were crucified at all, which I gather is still a topic on which there is no certain answer, they were surely a small percentage of the total and the young attractive (by 21st century standards) ones smaller still.

Eulalia has mentioned those who recreate crucifixions with live actors and I suppose those are realistic as far as they go, which was pretty far in one case she cited involving a member here. But none were to death (fortunately).

None of this means we shouldn't continue to create art and stories. Nor is the non-crux stuff here necessarily any more realistic. My own stories are mostly set in modern times and sometimes they are inspired by an actual news story, but they are most definitely fantasy, not reality.

Guys, please, why don't you two get a dedicated thread where you can argue to your heart's content.

SJ, I am here and I find crux not that interesting. As for realism, the art in this thread is very good, but is it really realistic to depict only beautiful young females with pale skin as the victims of crucifixion (or to depict one crucified together with a man on the same cross)? Assuming women were crucified at all, which I gather is still a topic on which there is no certain answer, they were surely a small percentage of the total and the young attractive (by 21st century standards) ones smaller still.

Eulalia has mentioned those who recreate crucifixions with live actors and I suppose those are realistic as far as they go, which was pretty far in one case she cited involving a member here. But none were to death (fortunately).

None of this means we shouldn't continue to create art and stories. Nor is the non-crux stuff here necessarily any more realistic. My own stories are mostly set in modern times and sometimes they are inspired by an actual news story, but they are most definitely fantasy, not reality.
Sorry, friend. I don't want to start any flamewar.

Easy question :)

You are too kind, Wragg. :)
And let us not overlook the fact that she also did it for real (as observed elsewhere in this thread) -

al img_7577.jpg

I always thought a crown of thorns would make Bob's pictures much more seductive but that's just me
Thanks Ramengmawiaaa. :)
Been there, done that...

Ecce Femina 1.jpg

Got the T shirt...

ecce femina t-shirt.jpg :D

I wonder if by 'realism' we actually mean 'closest approximation to our fantasies'?

I suspect that witnessing an actual, brutal crucifixion execution would be more likely to cause PTSD than pleasure....

But many of us, myself included, have our own fantasy which plays to our particular psyche, and that what we seek is as close a depiction of that as possible.

But my fantasy is not your fantasy, and vice versa. I hope you find what you are looking for, and seeking it is what brings us back here!

Some of the best.....
Baracus, those are great images and I enjoyed them a lot more than the girls in them probalbly did.

However, the question is "most realistic" not "most erotic". Those are not very realistic or authentic to Roman crucifixion. I suspect you chose them for the same reason I looked long and hard at them, damn fine bodies!

OK.
(deep breath)

Mark Kee makes the point that none of us have seen a real crucifixion. This is true if by real crucifixion we mean crucifixion as a means of execution. This is not something that really exists in the world anymore, as far as we know, and even ISIS and other more extreme elements of the Muslim world tend only to crucify those who have already died, as a display rather than a means of execution.

But crucifixion imho is any form of genuine suspension on a cross. It can include ropes and other forms of binding, and duration is variable. Images from this less lethal form of crux come as close as we are likely to get to "real" crucifixion. We see the genuine struggle of the body against gravity and the cruciform position, the stress on arms and legs and torso, the beautiful shapes and forms that a crucified body adopts. In my view some of the best examples of this are the work of Makar, of Dream Boy Bondage, Crux Bitches (and other names) and of numerous self cruxers who have shared with us over the years.

There is a tension here between the genuine experience and art. Some beautiful work has been done that doesn't really convey the full suspension experience, but is nonetheless wonderful. Perhaps not fully realistic.

What do I mean? Well these are examples of beautiful but not realistic.
View attachment 617953View attachment 617954

This is getting more realistic, some beautiful, some gritty
View attachment 617957View attachment 617956View attachment 617958View attachment 617959

This is real suspension crux
View attachment 617960View attachment 617961View attachment 617962View attachment 617963

Apologies, these are not necessarily the "best", but a quick selection from my archive to illustrate the point!
Ah Phlebus. As usual your clear mind penetrated like a good Roman nail to the heart of the question. What does it mean by realistic?

Faithful to the actual Roman Crucifixions practiced by the elite troops and executioners with time to "do it right" between 70 BCE and 70 CE?

A modern re-enactment with real humans that comes closest to actually killing someone on a cross?

Do we have to get into whether crosses have to be roman or "T"?

Roping or nailing, or both?

In the end it comes back to the Latin phrase my father would bewilder us with before we had begun to study Latin:

De gustibus non disputandum est

For me it's this scene in this strange movie.
Not sure about the sedile although.
The twinkling of the lights of the modern city below and the people in modern dress, including police in uniform, adds to the sense of reality for me, much more than modern people pretending to be Romans would (after all, the Romans wore contemporary dress for their time). And I happen to know the spot where it was filmed very well.

For me, "the best" crucifixions that I like are those when I'm myself crucified to my cross ...
It's perhaps (certainly ! ) not a "realistic" one ( in the way that I'm not here to die ) but it's suffisciently "real" for me ...

Attachments

• P-crucifiée.JPG
    P-crucifiée.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 466
For me, "the best" crucifixions that I like are those when I'm myself crucified to my cross ...
It's perhaps (certainly ! ) not a "realistic" one ( in the way that I'm not here to die ) but it's suffisciently "real" for me ...
Excellent point. And sexy look!

Back
Top Bottom