Lassie-hunting In The Northern Forest

Go to CruxDreams.com
Eulalia. Per my earlier comments, what a truly exceptional story and so superbly written — with characters that you have written into life. Having now finished reading it, and rereading many parts, totally join the deserved praise heaped upon this work by the principals here. Absolutely absorbing. Many, many bravos.

However. The story as ended leaves me unsettled. This story you have created, with its people and culture of tradition and family honor, can not be so ended as is without a false ring. Do not nearly know the Scot clan culture there as you, but know their ancestors likely are same as my mothers family and its mores in rugged southern hill country here. To wit: family blood debts are paid in blood. Always.

Can it be different with your story’s MacAlister clan? Daughter Lulie behaved honorablely in all her actions, yet was accused of disgracing herself, her family, her culture by the lies of the McRaes and was brutally whipped at their very hands to prove her courage. Can the men of her MacAlister clan just except such? Not in my mind.

And, what of Sandy and the McConchie honor. He was labeled a liar and caused his future woman to be beaten bloody when his testimony was disputed by the McRaes. If Lulie and Sandy are to marry, can the McConchie clan accept her with an unanswered honor debt? That’s two clans, the MacAlisters and McConchies, with outstanding family debts of honor.

This story cries out for continuing along so many lines (cut to sound of multitudes begging). In future rugs, will the McRaes be able to accuse any linkie just for more fun of whipping her bloody? Just my thoughts on needed vengeance and retribution.

I agree with Horseman68's comments above. I thought this was a thoroughly delightful story. Well written, interesting characters, and quite convincing. But damn it, I kept waiting for Lulie's kin or Sandy to step up for Lulie, and to acquaint Wullie with the consequences of his lies. But the linkie rug was terrific, and what an ear for dialect Eulalia has! I had to struggle to understand a good deal of it, but once I got into it, I couldn't imagine it being told any other way.

Eulalia. Was very glad to note that you recently “liked” my comments written back at the beginning of November upon reading this great story. Please know that they were written only in admiration, and that this is one damn great story. But believe they still apply. Any chance at all that we may see the MacAlister and McConchie clans in the hunt or otherwise again?

Thanks again - it's hard to say, I'm not very good at thinking up stories 'intentionally', ideas just come sometimes like seeds in the air that happen to land an take root in my imagination. For some reason, I'd been looking at words and phrases associated with fox-hunting - I don't remember quite why, it's not a sport I'm keen on, it might have been a spin-off from something I was researching, or just my fascination with language that prompted me. - but it started this fantasy burgeoning in my imagination and turned into a story that I certainly enjoyed writing, and I'm glad a lot of people have enjoyed reading it. But I can't guarantee a sequel, I just have to wait in case another idea comes along ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom