• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Latin required....

Go to CruxDreams.com
The reason I ask is that my Latin is something akin to this person's efforts.... View attachment 610903 ;) LOL
I am proud to say that I achieved the grand total of - One percent, in my Latin "O-level".
WTF is the point of learning a Dead language I ask? Can I go into a public house and order "Two pints of bitter and a bag of plain nuts" in Latin?

windar

Teller of Tales
WTF is the point of learning a Dead language I ask?
It came in handy in solving a murder case once, I seem to recall:p:D

Can I go into a public house and order "Two pints of bitter and a bag of plain nuts" in Latin?
If you knew Latin, you could, but the bartender probably wouldn't understand your order...

Hiya y'all...who in this forum is any good at writing things in LATIN ??
Anybody willing to help ?? Please P.M me... Thanks.. safe crux
I've studied it. I can still read something in Latin. But it is important to learn the Italian language well, the construction of the Italian phrase, the etymology of words. It does not serve for English, even if there are English words that come from the Latin. Street-strata, Bath-Balneo, fact-factum, long-longa, animal-animalis.etc ..

Understand that Latin is a much more inflected language than English. Therefore, words change depending on how they are used. Example: I, me, mine.
A traitor, male, is a proditor, female - proditrix meaning someone who gives over (to the enemy)
High treason is somewhat ideomatic (unique) in English, Latin words for treason are very context dependent. One is tradition, meaning handing over information (to the enemy). Also Maiestas, (from which majesty comes - change the i to a j) meaning both dignity and treason - go figure!.
Praise the emperor - that is easy a stock phrase in Latin: Ave Caesar
Cheers - if a wild crowd cheering, then there is no clear word, like a modern sports crowd whopping it up. The formal words are Ave (hail, greetings) and Vale (be well, greetings). If you mean a toast before drinking, Gaudete (be joyful) works well

Understand that Latin is a much more inflected language than English. Therefore, words change depending on how they are used. Example: I, me, mine.
A traitor, male, is a proditor, female - proditrix meaning someone who gives over (to the enemy)
High treason is somewhat ideomatic (unique) in English, Latin words for treason are very context dependent. One is tradition, meaning handing over information (to the enemy). Also Maiestas, (from which majesty comes - change the i to a j) meaning both dignity and treason - go figure!.
Praise the emperor - that is easy a stock phrase in Latin: Ave Caesar
Cheers - if a wild crowd cheering, then there is no clear word, like a modern sports crowd whopping it up. The formal words are Ave (hail, greetings) and Vale (be well, greetings). If you mean a toast before drinking, Gaudete (be joyful) works well
Thank you... :)