• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Latin required....

Go to CruxDreams.com
For the sober one's here and those interested in Latin, here was a homework translation problem from the second week of my First Year Latin. See who can translate first.

puellae et pueri amant picum nicum.
No translation yet? In classical Latin inscription it would read:

puellarpuerqueamantpicumnicum

I spent an hour trying to figure what it was. They my father, excellent at Latin was stumped, got out his Cassells and got nowhere.
After two hours, the realization that it right before your face. There was a tiny asterisk. At the bottom of the page in fine print (Barbara would never have found it) it said "Picus Nicus, means picnic. A word we made up just for you"

I think that experience poisoned my classical language future forever!

I spent an hour trying to figure what it was. They my father, excellent at Latin was stumped, got out his Cassells and got nowhere.
After two hours, the realization that it right before your face. There was a tiny asterisk. At the bottom of the page in fine print (Barbara would never have found it) it said "Picus Nicus, means picnic. A word we made up just for you"

I think that experience poisoned my classical language future forever!
You should have called the Vatican. I'm sure they'd be glad to get an inquiry that doesn't involve the priest scandals.

To be completely honest, I's like a taste of that smooth young thin, myself!:copas:

""I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell"

This could well apply to several recent court cases or the God-Almighty Brexit cock-up.

Actually, FYI, I do not dislike this thread, I just disliked learning Latin, especially from an Irish eejit who could not wait to begged (no doubt on bended knee) by Nehru et al to return to his "Rightfull Place" (what ever that was) as a great white Sahib.
I could not see it happening even as a callow 15 year old, and now an Indian company, Tata, is running "British" Steel and Jaguar Landrover too, for good measure .

""I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell"

This could well apply to several recent court cases or the God-Almighty Brexit cock-up.

Actually, FYI, I do not dislike this thread, I just disliked learning Latin, especially from an Irish eejit who could not wait to begged (no doubt on bended knee) by Nehru et al to return to his "Rightfull Place" (what ever that was) as a great white Sahib.
I could not see it happening even as a callow 15 year old, and now an Indian company, Tata, is running "British" Steel and Jaguar Landrover too, for good measure .
The current American Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross, architect of the steel and aluminum "national security" tariffs, is a "financier" who bought a lot of troubled American steel companies, voided the union contracts, and cut staff ("he saves your life but you lose your leg", one union leader said). He invested in modernization of the plants. OK, so far no argument. But then he sold the whole thing to Arcelor Mittal. Apparently the problem is not that you can't make money on "first world" steel (and I accept that dumping has occurred and should be countered), you just can't make ENOUGH. You need high returns every year or the investors in your fund excoriate you. But Indian owners apparently have no problem with just making money--they're in business, not "investing". Maybe this is a little appreciated difficulty that protectionism won't solve--people in the West don't save enough so that there is enough capital to run businesses as well as generate "investing returns".
Ford owned Volvo for some time--didn't put a lot of money into it. It was finally sold to China's Geeley, and is now thriving.