Life And Death Of An Anti-impalement Activist

Go to CruxDreams.com
Prime Minister Patel’s libel suit backfired on him. For weeks the media gushed with uncritical relaying of testimony against him, and against Anjali, too. She was popularly believed to be his close accomplice, and even rumored to be his mistress. Tabloids published blurry pictures allegedly showing them meeting in secret a month before Anjali’s “crime” in Lameshri. Then one supposedly of her in a micro bikini on Patel’s yacht. Anjali was disgusted. She could handle being vilified - she knew it was part of the job she had taken upon herself. But being made out to be Patel’s slut was difficult to swallow. Her anger fought to master her despair.

Apparently Patel was no happier. After almost three weeks of a trial that did more damage to his reputation with each passing day, he announced that he would begin working with parliament, with the judiciary, and with the chiefs of the provinces to come to an agreement on how Anjali could be punished for shooting the woman in Lameshri. He thus distanced himself from the young activist while displaying confidence that Anjali had, in fact, killed the woman, and there was no hoax. “I’ll remind you that not only does Ms Batra admit to the crime, but the Province of Lameshri is seeking her extradition!” he said at a press conference. “The judiciary has yet to rule on whether she can be extradited, but we all know what she did. I’ll be working with all the relevant parties to see that she faces justice. Maybe we can extradite her. Maybe she can face charges here, but she’s not going to get off scot free if I have anything to say about it!”

Two days later, Anjali was walking home from a trip to the library with Sanjeev (she no longer felt safe going out alone, but didn’t like being shut in all day) when she saw nearly a dozen police cars clogging the street leading to Sanjeev’s house. “This doesn’t look good...” said Sanjeev, taking Anjali’s hand. They turned to walk swiftly down the first street they could to get out of site, then weaved through another couple of streets until they came to a fire escape stairwell in a dim alley and pulled out their phones.

“Prime Minister Shot” - the headline was everywhere.

“What is this!?” Sanjeev scrolled furiously. Anjali hardly needed to read anymore. She knew. Her face grew blank and dour, and she only half saw what she was reading. She already knew, and she was in her head, fighting the despair, fighting and channeling the rage, trying to think of the next step.

“Prime Minister Patel is at the hospital...” Sanjeev mumbled as he read. “Police suspect activist Anjali Batra!” He looked at her in horror. She almost smirked, but had to wipe a tear. “They think...!”

“Of course they do, Sanjeev!” she finally burst. “Somebody broke into our house and shot Patel from my window with my gun.”

“But we weren’t even home! They won’t be able to convict you.”

“I’m not counting on that.” There was silence for several moments.

“Ok...” said Sanjeev. “So...”

“I have to go.”

“I’m coming too.”

Later that evening, Mr Varesh talked with reporters. “You know, that is what you call a bad break-up. That’s a really bad break-up, when your girl decides to shoot you.” He laughed. “Fortunately, she’s not exactly a crack shot - what did she do, like, graze his shoulder? Yeah, when it’s real life, it’s not as easy as when you’re staging a scene in the woods, Honey.” More laughter. “Yeah - and he’s in the hospital, right? What - like he doesn’t keep band-aids at home? When I was in the 5th Chakrabeshi Regiment during the war, we had guys get fingers blown off, and we just had to keep going, you know. I think Patel was at law school at the time. No, seriously, I wish him the best, hope he recovers quickly, and I hope he loses this election in a landslide. This country deserves better than this circus.”

Of course Anjali and Sanjeev didn’t see the interview. They were outside Chakrabesh, this time heading west, toward Munghal Province, where Anjali had spent her childhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prime Minister Patel’s libel suit backfired on him. For weeks the media gushed with uncritical relaying of testimony against him, and against Anjali, too. She was popularly believed to be his close accomplice, and even rumored to be his mistress. Tabloids published blurry pictures allegedly showing them meeting in secret a month before Anjali’s “crime” in Lameshri. Then one supposedly of her in a micro bikini on Patel’s yacht. Anjali was disgusted. She could handle being vilified - she knew it was part of the job she had taken upon herself. But being made out to be Patel’s slut was difficult to swallow. Her anger fought to master her despair.

Apparently Patel was no happier. After almost three weeks of a trial that did more damage to his reputation with each passing day, he announced that he would begin working with parliament, with the judiciary, and with the chiefs of the provinces to come to an agreement on how Anjali could be punished for shooting the woman in Lameshri. He thus distanced himself from the young activist while displaying confidence that Anjali had, in fact, killed the woman, and there was no hoax. “I’ll remind you that not only does Ms Batra admit to the crime, but the Province of Lameshri is seeking her extradition!” he said at a press conference. “The judiciary has yet to rule on whether she can be extradited, but we all know what she did. I’ll be working with all the relevant parties to see that she faces justice. Maybe we can extradite her. Maybe she can face charges here, but she’s not going to get off scot free if I have anything to say about it!”

Two days later, Anjali was walking home from a trip to the library with Sanjeev (she no longer felt safe going out alone, but didn’t like being shut in all day) when she saw nearly a dozen police cars clogging the street leading to Sanjeev’s house. “This doesn’t look good...” said Sanjeev, taking Anjali’s hand. They turned to walk swiftly down the first street they could to get out of site, then weaved through another couple of streets until they came to a fire escape stairwell in a dim alley and pulled out their phones.

“Prime Minister Shot” - the headline was everywhere.

“What is this!?” Sanjeev scrolled furiously. Anjali hardly needed to read anymore. She knew. Her face grew blank and dour, and she only half saw what she was reading. She already knew, and she was in her head, fighting the despair, fighting and channeling the rage, trying to think of the next step.

“Prime Minister Patel is at the hospital...” Sanjeev mumbled as he read. “Police suspect activist Anjali Batra!” He looked at her in horror. She almost smirked, but had to wipe a tear. “They think...!”

“Of course they do, Sanjeev!” she finally burst. “Somebody broke into our house and shot Patel from my window with my gun.”

“But we weren’t even home! They won’t be able to convict you.”

“I’m not counting on that.” There was silence for several moments.

“Ok...” said Sanjeev. “So...”

“I have to go.”

“I’m coming too.”

Later that evening, Mr Varesh talked with reporters. “You know, that is what you call a bad break-up. That’s a really bad break-up, when your girl decides to shoot you.” He laughed. “Fortunately, she’s not exactly a crack shot - what did she do, like, graze his shoulder? Yeah, when it’s real life, it’s not as easy as when you’re staging a scene in the woods, Honey.” More laughter. “Yeah - and he’s in the hospital, right? What - like he doesn’t keep band-aids at home? When I was in the 5th Chakrabeshi Regiment during the war, we had guys get fingers blown off, and we just had to keep going, you know. I think Patel was at law school at the time. No, seriously, I wish him the best, hope he recovers quickly, and hope he loses this election in a landslide. This country deserves better than this circus.”

Of course Anjali and Sanjeev didn’t see the interview. They were outside Chakrabesh, this time heading west, toward Munghal Province, where Anjali has spent her childhood.
Yay! another chapter! I like this Varesh guy--I think he has a real future in politics. His campaign slogan should be "Make Rajistan Great Again!" Anjali better be looking to getting herself a good lawyer, and more importantly, a good PR firm. Love it!

“Won’t someone recognize you in Munghal?” They had crossed into the province almost an hour before, but Sanjeev hadn’t asked yet. Anjali didn’t seem to want to talk, and he knew it was unlikely the thought had not occurred to her.

“We can’t stay in the villages,” she replied. “But Munghal is sparsely populated. There are miles of undisturbed forrest and grasslands. And I think my cousin will help us, if we can find her.”

Back in the capital, Patel won his libel suit, and had considerable success both distancing himself from the disgraced Anjali Batra and casting himself as a hero wounded in action. Those who had at one time called on Anjali to run for office against Patel gradually made their peace with him, realizing that Anjali was an extremist with no place in Rajistani democracy.

Anjali was disappearing from the political discourse. Her blog went silent. There were no rallies, no protests, no videos. Patel initially made a great show of sending troops into the provinces to find her and bring her to justice, but when they failed to find her, he seemed content to let her be forgotten.

Anjali was living in the forest with Sanjeev. They had no electricity, no internet, no link to the outside world at all. She had sent Sanjeev to her old village to find her cousin and let her know about their plight, so once or twice a month, she would sneak to their camp and bring food or supplies. And about as often, Sanjeev would visit one of the other villages (never Anjali’s village after the first time) to trade an item or two, hear the talk, and use his phone to find out what was happening in the wider world. Occasionally, Anjali’s cousin would bring an old friend of Anjali’s for a secret reunion, although Anjali warned her sternly each time not to tell anyone else where she was - even good friends. But mostly, Anjali and Sanjeev lived alone, hunted, fished, picked berries, and enjoyed the rustic beauty of remote Munghal Province.

As time went on, Anjali grew less and less interested in news from Chakrabesh. And she grew happier - more friendly. She would joke with Sanjeev, tease him gently, even share a blanket with him on cool nights around their campfire. Instead of constantly fighting, constantly driving for her seemingly impossible goal, she seemed, perhaps for the first time in her life, to be living one moment at a time, and enjoying it.

“You know, Sanjeev,” she said one quiet evening as they stared at their fire, hypnotized by the flames, “I’ve never lived like this.”

“Oh, me neither,” he replied quickly.

“No - I mean... I HAVE lived in the provinces. I’ve lived here, I’ve lived the rustic life. I mean I’ve never... not had a goal. A purpose.” Sanjeev kept quiet. “Sometimes I think this is how life should be. Maybe this is how we were meant to live, you know?”

“Sure - it’s... yeah.”

“I like it here.”

“Me too! I mean, mostly. I like it with you...”

“But then sometimes I get this pang of terror.”

“The tigers?”

“No,” she smiled, almost chuckling to herself. “No, like I NEED a purpose.” Sanjeev kept quiet again. “I don’t know what to think. Sometimes I’m so happy out here it scares me. Will it all feel worth it when I’m sixty?”

They stared into the fire for several minutes after this before Sanjeev ventured: “I think... love, is the great purpose of human kind.” He waited, nervous, hoping to gauge how she felt about this before going on. She smiled, but didn’t reveal much of her mind. Well, he had come this far, so he finished: “I think, if we love, everything is worthwhile.”

Finally she looked at him. She gave him a knowing smile, like she was on to him. Then she stared off for a moment, fighting a real smile, before closing her eyes, and curling up on her side against a tree away from him, almost grinning. He was confused, but her smooth, young face was beautiful in the firelight, and the smile was pure joy, uncontainable delight, overwhelming contentment, all at once. It seemed very much to be the smile of a girl in love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody - I'm hoping to finish this story soon, but I've run into a difficult section. I know the character beats and emotional beats I want to hit, but as per usual, the practical, technical details have not yet fallen into place to enable the character arcs I've had in mind from the start. If anybody with a better grip on technical plot details is interested in offering advice, please DM me. Maybe we can figure this out. :)

The extradition battle that followed was an odd mix of constitutional debate, legal confusion, and campaign spin war, resulting in all the publicity Anjali had hoped for. Half a dozen attorneys offered their services to Anjali pro bono, and the debate raged in the courtroom, in newsrooms, and online for weeks.

Anjali’s case was unique, because almost no citizen of Chakrabesh had ever committed a serious offense in the provinces that did not violate Chakrabeshi law as well. Her attorneys made a strong case that shooting the woman about to be impaled would be classified as an “act of mercy” under Chakrabeshi law, and therefore could not be considered murder. On the second charge, prevention of justice, she was again not guilty, because the capital did not recognize impalement as a legal form of punishment.

Under normal circumstances, these arguments would be immaterial, because the Provinces were sovereign over their own citizens, and the capital had no right to interfere with provincial justice. But Anjali was now a citizen of Chakrabesh, and claimed asylum from the city against her prosecutors. Whether Anjali could claim asylum hinged primarily on a given judge’s interpretation of the Rajistani constitution.

Anjali hardly cared about the outcome. She proudly walked the streets of the capital each day, a deep smile of satisfaction behind whatever other expression she wore. Each week, more and more people recognized her, stopped to shake her hand, asked for a selfie, asked for an autograph, or bought her coffee. She was winning. She could feel it.
Catching up with this story from the beginning and loving the authentic feel of it. I suspect however that the last piece suggests a little camplacency on the part of Anjali - looking forward to continuing my read (this is like binging a box set :) )

Everybody - I'm hoping to finish this story soon, but I've run into a difficult section. I know the character beats and emotional beats I want to hit, but as per usual, the practical, technical details have not yet fallen into place to enable the character arcs I've had in mind from the start. If anybody with a better grip on technical plot details is interested in offering advice, please DM me. Maybe we can figure this out. :)
Dear Juan, this is magnificent and I thank you and thank you.
May I propose a surly letter from some disgruntled peasant?
Governor,
We are the mob that wants to see this done.
As for how to do it, you've seen it, you've shown it. Hefty knife from this to that, hefty stake. You know all that.

Back
Top Bottom